Captain Rex - #09

Reaction score
It probably would with a little modification. I just mentioned using a cloth one because it's pointless having the ball hinged hip joints with a hard plastic kama.

Reaction score
Good point, did any other figures apart from Fordo come with a fabric Kama?

Reaction score
The arms are the same. I was just looking at mine and if I had a VC45 white clone body, I can use the trunk and slap all the Rex parts on it (lower legs, arms, and head) and then I'd have a VC45 mold Rex. I'd also have to find a belt and kama for him that would fit as the Clone Wars cloth one fits on very small waists.
Thanks for the heads up. Ill grab him someday when I can find him cheap. I think the arms are the only thing on hasbro's that looks better than mine. However, did they botch the wrist comm? The blue stripe is supposed to run across the top of the comm.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Ill grab him someday when I can find him cheap. I think the arms are the only thing on hasbro's that looks better than mine. However, did they botch the wrist comm? The blue stripe is supposed to run across the top of the comm.
Didn't know about that, but yes, it is not over the comm. Even for Doom, his paint apps on the comm on his arm are all over the place.

Reaction score
The arms are the same. I was just looking at mine and if I had a VC45 white clone body, I can use the trunk and slap all the Rex parts on it (lower legs, arms, and head) and then I'd have a VC45 mold Rex. I'd also have to find a belt and kama for him that would fit as the Clone Wars cloth one fits on very small waists.
Use the Fordo body and substitute the arms and legs with this Rex, the SG kama from Rocket Pack Rex and use Fordo's belt.

Reaction score
Legs are hard to do. Im going to do an alternate method where I cut joints. Any tips on painting fabric? I want to pant over fordo's red parts on his kama. Is it doable?

Reaction score
Probably worth dying the Kama a dark blue since that's the colour it is on Rex. The Dye should soak into the material pretty well so you have a nice piece :)

Reaction score
I actually couldn't find my extra Captain Fordo body. Then as I was holding and looking at the VC45 Phase 1 Clone Captain, I realized, Hasbro never released this. So in short, my Fordo body is already being used on another custom.

I did take an action shot of Rex and decided, it really isn't that bad and I already addressed the thing I hated the most about him, which was the small head, so I'm probably going to leave him as is. I just don't want to waste a perfectly good VC45 body. If I ever find a cheap one somewhere, then I may revisit this.

Here's a couple of shots of Rex running/walking.

Reaction score
Legs are hard to do. Im going to do an alternate method where I cut joints. Any tips on painting fabric? I want to pant over fordo's red parts on his kama. Is it doable?
You don't need to dye them if you don't want to. I just used good acrylic paint on mine seen below. The kama isn't as a soft/pliable then, but that didn't really matter to me as I am not moving him around much anyhow.

Reaction score
Okay, so I caved in and bought this figure a couple of days ago, since it turned out to be much cheaper than buying it at TRU or elsewhere. Got Rex today and he's slightly better than expected, though still not as good as the one that was originally planned (Phase I Rex).
I was positively surprised by the fact that the blasters slide all the way into the holsters. The head is indeed much too small and is out of scale with the rest of the body. The pauldron is all new and also looks good on the VC clone trooper since it is not as wide as the one that came with the Saga Legends Rex. As we all know by now, the figure lacks articulation in the upper body and the hips (no ball joints). But the one thing that really bugs me are the feet. In terms of detail Hasbro nailed those on the VC clone. They looked exactly like the CGI model. With the release of the Saga Legends hybrid they took more than two steps back. The details are very soft and blurry. Maybe I just shouldn't comapre the new clones (Rex, Doom and Thron) to the VC 45 trooper but rather to the ROTS clones that came out ten years ago (Bly, Bacara, Gree, Red and Green Clone Commander). It is the overall chunkiness and sturdiness that reminds me of the clones from a past era - and I don't mean that in a negative sense.

Reaction score
You mght be able to get away with just doing below the knee.
Yeah, I've done below the knee before kn a VC45, but I think the person who was asking probably wanted the '45 legs for the ball joint hips, which can be troublesome to remove.
I took apart some Iron Man figures last year to build the 'best painted' sample. The ball joint hips almost stopped the idea in it's tracks. They were hard to remove, then even harder to reassemble. Only got 2/6 figures reassembled in the end :(

Reaction score
Recieved my Rex today and the head is indeed ball jointed. Overall the paint apps are pretty good and look much better in person!

My goodness, this is what's passing nowadays for regular figures?!! They look like sloppy custom figures. I see better paint apps on the saga legends stuff. WOW. And I was really looking forward to these...add me as another highly disappointed with these clones, especially after getting one like Fordo in the Vintage line. And price wise...blah.

Reaction score
They are dodgy, but I've never seen a saga legends figure any better myself :( I think it's just cost cutting across the brand in general. Heck, they released those command things void of paint completely lol.

Reaction score
I can't believe they didn't give him a removable helmet. They already had phase 1 made anyway!

Reaction score
I can't believe they didn't give him a removable helmet. They already had phase 1 made anyway!
Yeah, they had the head already too. And for the Phase II, they could have used the one that was from the Clone Wars line and retooled it to be hollow. It's so big anyways that it should work.

Reaction score
So, this figure's pin-sized head really made the release a bummer. Actually, the over-sized head of the Clone Wars Phase II Rex looks good on this when I hold it on there, but the pegs are different sizes...so not an easy swap.

Reaction score
So, this figure's pin-sized head really made the release a bummer. Actually, the over-sized head of the Clone Wars Phase II Rex looks good on this when I hold it on there, but the pegs are different sizes...so not an easy swap.
I know. It was a bummer that they weren't the same size. The good thing though is that it is still ball joint. I was scared it would be like the 5POA swivel neck joints. Here's my Rex customized with the Clone Wars oversized helmet that I posted a while back.

Reaction score
It's also irritating that the face of The Clone Wars in fact was not given a face (i.e head). Even if they wanted to go with the undersized helmet, they could have easily given us a separate Rex-head as well. Anyway, now we have him and I'm happy we at least got a realistic Rex. But I will nevertheless customise a spare Commander Neyo head and give the figure the head it deserves. I post it here when it's finished :).

Reaction score
It's also irritating that the face of The Clone Wars in fact was not given a face (i.e head). Even if they wanted to go with the undersized helmet, they could have easily given us a separate Rex-head as well. Anyway, now we have him and I'm happy we at least got a realistic Rex. But I will nevertheless customise a spare Commander Neyo head and give the figure the head it deserves. I post it here when it's finished :).
I tried the head from AT-RT Driver from TVC - with some hair trim it looks good. One of the best clone heads there is. Anticipating your pics to see the result :)

Reaction score
I really want to see this figure in person so I can judge the size of the helmet for myself. In some pics it looks way too small and in others it's just a little bit too small. Honestly, his horrendous looking wrist joints are bothering me more than anything else. Makes his hands look completely unnatural. Captain "Fat Hands" Rex.

Reaction score
I really want to see this figure in person so I can judge the size of the helmet for myself. In some pics it looks way too small and in others it's just a little bit too small. Honestly, his horrendous looking wrist joints are bothering me more than anything else. Makes his hands look completely unnatural. Captain "Fat Hands" Rex.
I did the same thing...thinking, how bad could it be? It is WAY too small. It's almost like they mixed up the heads between the last Phase II Clone Wars cartoon version and this one.

Reaction score
The helmet is the correct size for the 5 POA figure, which this helmet sculpt is from. When Hasbro retooled the figure and added articulation, they didn't resize the helmet, which makes it look off. Both the arms and legs are too long on Rex simply because of added articulation. Its still a nice figure though, especially the deco.

Reaction score
The helmet was too small even on the 5POA Rex. Helmets should be quite large, just look at stormtrooper buckets. They need to accomodate a fully grown human head, then a layer of padding and electronics, then the armour layers. The problem with Clones arises from the fact all of them were CG. Not once did someone have an actual clone helmet to go 'yeah this wouldn't fit', hence why a lot of the proportions on Clones are off (massive feet, small ankles etc).
The helmet easily needs to be 2-3mm larger in circumference so that it somewhat overlaps on the shoulder strap area to be remotely appropriately sized.

DTW

Reaction score
Wow, what a poor way to release a realistic Captain Rex. The too-small helmet, stiff-looking sculpting and the ridiculous non-ball-jointed hips add up to a major disappointment. Especially since Commander Wolffe (who is cool, but certainly not a major character like Rex--not to mention he's in a one-appearance armor) does have ball-jointed hips...of course, they are the awful kind that are pegged in at the worse possible angle, so he's no winner either. Add in the incredible height difference between the two, and it's just a huge let-down after all the anticipation.

Reaction score
So, the head on that Rex does not look as "micro" as the head on my Rex. Not sure if it is just the camera angle, but that one looks decent. Are some better than others?? Did later shipments get a fix on the helmet size?