Cantina

Reaction score
Long overdue on my "to do list," here are some work in progress shots of my cantina. A few notes...
First, the photos are kind of awful, I apologize. I will get some better ones soon with better lighting. Second, the bar will be replaced. Hasbro's version simply won't do.

Third, it is wood instead of foamcore, progress is time consuming, so bear with me. Also there's a lot of custom figures in there, not all of them are finished. More to come!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looking good already. And it feels busy, just like a Cantina should. The entryway is especially well done :)

Reaction score
Looks like a great start. Adding some practical LED lights would really help with the atmosphere.

Reaction score
Long ago I built a 3.75' scale cantina but got the height wrong by half an inch so all my figures bumped their heads.

The one thing I wanted to do was add the sound chip from the old pop-up book. Never could bring myself to rip it open though.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Especially love the band stage and arrangement of the Modal Nodes on it! Also, wood gives this a good, solid look. Great job!

Reaction score
The Hoff is enjoying a refreshing drink after a long day coaching dodgeball.

It's a bold custom, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Small update. This is a cupboard for the alcove behind the bar. Wuher has to keep limes, a Slap-Chop, all kinds of stuff to keep the customers drinks at the high standards they expect.

Last edited:

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Whoa, the detail! Love the blaster on the counter :wub:

Reaction score
The alcove is amazing! Great idea to use the wood you won’t regret it. The custom figures are great. Keep the updates coming.

Reaction score
Thank you for all the kind comments! Here are some shots of a few of the custom cantina patrons...

Rycard uses the pea sized head of VOTC Obi Wan. Small as he is, he's fully articulated. Yellow spacer guy (near Leesub in the film) uses a GI Joe Blowtorch for his arms and another Joe for the chest box.

Merc Sunlet makes use of a Rebel Fleet Trooper head while Debnoli steals his noggin from Ric Olie. Watery black paint gives the stubble look. The robe was fabric carefully striped by hand.

Tzvzzzzitzzz ... zzz....z...or...whatever his name is...has a Rebel Technician body and a head based on a Pablo Jill. I never saw a Legacy Hrchek kal Fas so I made one.

And an awkward encounter with Platoon leader Sgt. Barnes....

Swilla could use some eye makeup, she has a Vintage Collection Zam head and Baroness boots.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some of the materials used to build the cantina....

A Dremel is essential. Also, you don't need to have a giant workshop and tons of expensive equipment to work with wood. A Dremel Saw Max will get the cuts you need done. And for curves, I use a drill bit and steady hand.

I use a lot of glue. Plain ol' Elmer's glue is great. And for superglue, Loctite Professional Liquid is my go-to-glue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wanted to post some pics of the initial paint job, I think it's something that I'm worried about enough that if I need to, some constructive criticism will keep me from wasting time and effort going forward with more painting.

I think the color is maybe too light of a yellow.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Made some progress on the entrance. Made the droid detector and tall lamp, still need to make the three chairs.

Also made a power box for the wall to go in the alcove behind where Kitik is standing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Very nice job! Just a suggestion: About the paint, you could put a little more golden brown, maybe sienna (light), so it could look more aged....,also, use the same technick but add dark brown or black (not much) in the areas where the "patrons" would usually put/pass the hands/claws/whatever they have so it looks more dirty and used.

Reaction score
Would you be able to share how you created those stucco-like walls? I am in absolute awe, here. This looks really fantastic!

Reaction score
Thank you HolidaySpecial, Litofett, and Spooked! For the stucco effect, I've been using DAP Platinum Patch. A little more expensive than regular but worth it. Also using shelfliner for the ribbing of arch undersides. Here's the products...

I put hinges on the back wall so it lifts. Makes it possible to get camera shots from inside the alcove looking out at the main bar area.

I've settled on a color and weathering that works for me. Finally. Also started working on the benches. MAN THESE ARE A PAIN!!! I know there are some nice casts folks have done and I've been tempted to buy some but am still going to grind them out.

Used different wood trim pieces for this rough assembly, still need to attach seat backing (will try more of the ribbed shelfliner) and paint.

I'm going to revise the tables. There's a lot of revision necessary, that's one thing I've learned. I'll tackle some element then realize how inaccurate it is and go back and work on it some more. Been planting tomatoes/ veggies/ herbs which has cut into dio time too but more to come!

Last edited:
Reaction score
You’re right about revising! Your stuff is great. I really love the figures, especially the Hrchek Kal Fas!

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Those wall thicknesses to the alcoves are perfect! I know what you mean about the tables; I replaced old ones I made from PVC caps with casts of the Hasbro one :p

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! Stan, the head is a VOTC Obi Wan with some added hair. The rest is mostly a VOTC Han with his limbs trimmed down a good bit and the retooling necessary for sockets to work again. The vest is the one from that same Han torso where I dremeled out the majority of material to leave just a vest.

Reaction score
Holy crap, yodashizzle! Just saw this for the first time and it's looking amazing! I especially like all the details on the cupboard, and the customs

Reaction score
The paint job is really make it come to life. You did a fine job on the sparkle and wood work too. Can’t wait to see more progress shots.