Can we talk about Luke's green Lightsaber from ROTJ...

Reaction score
Luke's green lightsaber has always been my favorite and while it is not a big deal, I am disappointed we did not get to see this lightsaber in present day action in Episodes VII-IX. I enjoyed TROS but one scene is lingering in my head as a missed opportunity. I was hoping that the lightsaber Force Ghost Luke was leading Rey to was his old green one. I got so excited that it was gonna be that (and love the idea of Luke and Anakin's sabers bringing down Palpy.) Don't get me wrong, I also love that they portrayed Leia as a trained Jedi with her own saber. That was cool and clearly would have meant more to Rey's character. (and thank god Luke passed on what he had learned to Leia) But I feel like they missed an opportunity by never showing Luke's green saber in the present time and that moment would have been the best time to bring it back (given what we got).

Anyone else feel like old greenie was slighted a bit? Maybe it will show up in Episode X?
Anyone wish that green saber showed up in TROS? Was there another moment they could have used greenie that would have been better? (On Crait? In The Force Awakens Maz gives Rey greenie instead of Anakins? etc.)
Let's chat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Luke should definitely have used the green one on Crait!
I think it was RJ committing to his idea of Luke not really being there and loading the scene with maximum indicators of that.

On my initial viewing, I missed the "young" Luke signs, and I think the blue saber was the ONLY thing I was confused about (I didn't notice the "no footprints" and "no contact" stuff either).

That in mind, the saber color aspect on Crait (how I reacted to it) is an indicator that those Luke sabers mean a lot to me. But my confusion was so fleeting, that it still didn't confirm for me that something was amiss during the battle, let alone WHAT that something was. But seriously, that's not RJ's fault...as a movie-goer, I was just too overwhelmed, as I often am, to pick up on stuff too well.

Reaction score
Luke's green lightsaber has always been my favorite and while it is not a big deal, I am disappointed we did not get to see this lightsaber in present day action in Episodes VII-IX. I enjoyed TROS but one scene is lingering in my head as a missed opportunity. I was hoping that the lightsaber Force Ghost Luke was leading Rey to was his old green one. I got so excited that it was gonna be that (and love the idea of Luke and Anakin's sabers bringing down Palpy.)
While I think this was JJA's committing to the "Anakin saber as physical manifestation of the Skywalker legacy", I think your point is a good one, one that should have been handled differently.

If they would have PLANNED THE SEQUEL TRILOGY FROM THE START they would have been able to use both Anakin-blue and Luke-green lightsabers in conjunction with Luke's Force-ghost and Anakin's Force-ghost in the context of "Rey being an unofficial official Skywalker", to a much greater (more appropriate) use in bringing down the biggest baddie.

Reaction score
The only reason I can think of that Luke used Anakin's lightsaber on Crait was to just get Kylo riled up as much as possible. I still would've loved to have seen Luke use his lightsaber.

Reaction score
I think the best place to introduce the green saber would be when Luke's Ghost gives a lightsaber to Rey on the Grumpy Planet. it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that Luke would have gone into exile with Leia's lightsaber, but NOT his own. I suspect this probably WAS Luke's saber in the script... until JJ was forced to re-shoot 75% of the movie, to satisfy KK&Iger's ill-thought whims. I don't think Leia's flashback-subplot makes any sense at all, to be honest. (ie: she quit the Jedi out of "fear" for her unborn son -- but Jedi are NOT motivated by "fear", ever -- so if THAT was her motivation, then how did she pass Jedi-School, in the first place?). the whole thing sounds like it was tacked-on after the fact. including, but not limited to, the "leia saber" hidden in the rock. this would make a LOT more sense, if Luke had gone into 'exile' with his OWN lightsaber on the Grumpy Planet; not Leia's.

Last edited:
Reaction score
-- but Jedi are NOT motivated by "fear", ever -- so if THAT was her motivation, then how did she pass Jedi-School, in the first place?).
Leia never became a Jedi....wasn't that the point of bringing up her training in TROS (because of he vision she never finished)?

Reaction score
she was on her "final exam" -- she passed the final test -- and THEN she quit. out of fear.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yea, like it or not, Leia trained in the ways of the force and likely in the ways of the Jedi- what level she made it too is debatable although Luke mentions the final night of her training in Episode IX. That explains her lightsaber, which I am fine with and actually think is cool.

I want to know where Greenie is? Maybe I should write a fan fic...

In my mind, Luke's green lightsaber is:

A) on Ahch-To in another hut
B) Endor (maybe with an Ewok Jedi lol)
C) inside R2D2 ready for the next time it is needed...episode X

Reaction score
I'm waiting on seeing/hearing the exact line before moving on with the philosophizing...it's an interesting topic.