Can my Kenner Bib Fortuna cloak be cleaned of blue stains?

Reaction score
Hello vintage collectors, I look to you for your expertise. I rarely reply here as I don't actively collect vintage, but I do read many of the topics posted here.
I've tried using the search feature and can't find anything about cleaning vintage Kenner cloth, only vinyl capes and figures themselves.
This is my original vintage Kenner Bib that I bought when RotJ came out. Until I took the cloak off to photograph, it has been on since the 80's and probably was never removed period. I can't remember ever spilling anything onto it. I always kept my toys pretty clean, so they may show fading or yellowing of sorts but generally not dirt/ink/grease/etc. I can say that in the 90's, after college when I got my hands back on them (they were stored at home) the stain was there. In other words it isn't a stain that appeared recently; I simply can't remember it happening in my childhood. The color of the stains leave me to suspect that it is the blue paint of Bib's body underneath transferring over the years. What is odd though is that from the outside, the two cloak corners appear to have yellow/brown stains with blue stains leaking through, with the rest of the cloak showing no stains. But if you look at it from the inside, those two corners seem to lack the blue stains, and it's the rest of the cloak that seems to show a blue tint, as if the paint rubbed off on all BUT those corners.
These are the original exterior pics:

Now the interior pics:

Tonight I tried washing it by hand in warm water with dish detergent, while the two corner stains had also been soaked with a stain remover called Grandma's Secret Spot remover.

It looks to me like the yellow/brown corner stains lightened up, but the blue didn't really budge. Perhaps multiple treatments will make further improvements but I don't know.
Does anyone else think this looks like the blue Bib paint wearing off onto the cloak? Does anyone know of any other treatments that might help to remove the blue? If the interior tint remained that wouldn't bother me. It's the blue exterior stains on the two corners that I would like to clean up.
Here are pics of Bib without the cloak. His blue body paint does not show signs of fading/staining, isn't sticky, basically no signs of breaking down that might suggest it could be transferring to the cloak.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
-Steve

Last edited:
Reaction score
The figure isn't painted blue, it's molded in blue plastic. I've seen the plastic on some figures "sweat" so I guess there's always the possibility the dyes are leaching from the plastic.

i think anything strong enough to lift heavy stains will bleach or oxidise the material and potentially alter it so I would avoid that and stick with a mild detergent or soap and soak for longer and a few more times.

Reaction score
bib is a cheap figure . if it bothers you I would replace him
But that wouldn't be my Bib that I've had for over 30 years since I was a kid. I don't want just ANY clean Bib, I want to clean up MY Bib. I figured someone among the vintage collectors might have seen a similar staining, or in general had experience with cleaning the vintage cloth cloaks/capes.

Not being a vintage collector, I haven't had any experience with this before. My RotJ Jedi Knight Outfit Luke cloak is long gone, and my RotJ Han Solo Trench Coat is fine. I've had no other cloth cloaks to deal with. When I say I'm not a vintage collector, that isn't to say that I have anything against vintage collecting. I have almost all of my vintage items that I got when the OT was being released, and I have many great childhood memories of playing with them. I just don't have that spark in me that I want to collect more from the line. I'm content with what I have and just want to care for it as best I can. I'm a finite vintage collector, in that I only want to maintain what I have, as opposed to adding to it. I make the distinction of not being a vintage collector to explain why people might not have seen me active in this section. By not actively collecting vintage, I have almost nothing to add to any of the topics posted in here. Someone reading this might wonder who this guy is, that I've never seen post in here. Now people can think OK he's got his original vintage that he's caring for and appreciating, he's not some hit and run outsider just looking to use us for knowledge but doesn't really appreciate the vintage items. I simply have nearly nothing to add to a group of collectors that is far beyond my vintage experience.

My vintage Kenner items are a subset of my Star Wars collecting experience, but I've had them since it all started, and have memories of what it was like as a kid back then. Rejuvenating my childhood toys is the focus, not simply having a toy that came from my childhood, but was someone else's all this time. And the stains aren't a part of my childhood, the results from some great war that I had, that are battle scars to be cherished. They are stains that occurred somehow in storage, and as such, detract from the figure, in my view. So I appreciate the time took to reply, but cleaning up my Bib cloak (if possible) is what's desired, not replacing it with another.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would think that any products used to clean regular clothes would work on this as well. Oxyclean, for one. All those "stain remover" products advertised on TV.
Maybe you could take it to a dry cleaner, don't they do stain removals on regular clothing?

Reaction score
I can just imagine taking that Bib Fortuna coat into a dry cleaners and seeing the funny looks :)

Reaction score
I once had a really filthy prune face cloak, and figured there was nothing to lose so stuck it in the washing machine with a regular washload. It came out perfect!

Reaction score
bib is a cheap figure .

Literally, yeah. But figuratively, Bib probably ranks as a mid top-tier character in terms of popularity with collectors. A rough ranking would probably be Luke farmboy, original Han, original Leia, Ben, R2, Bib Fortuna......., followed by the rest of the original 12 figure. I'm sure Kea Mall and B-wing pilot would rank at least second tier. :)

Sizzzler, good job on wanting to keep your childhood vintage figures. One of my biggest regrets when I started collecting vintage as an adult in the 90s was that I upgraded a lot of my childhood figures for better conditioned ones. Now I can't tell which is which.

Reaction score
I am afraid that this may be a lost cause. The cape itself had a slight green blue tint on the inside. This is not something that came from the figure. Whatever got on the cape allowed the dye on the inside to run or fade. I don't think there is anyway to fix it completely without totally bleaching and or dying the cape. You might be able to get the outside of the cape to return back to original color if the dye removes from it, but the inside has already lost the blue green color and wont return that way. If this was mine, I would just get a new cape, but not get rid of this one if the childhood memories are that strong to it. There are few options at this point. You can replace the cape (not desired), bleach and or dye the cape (not real desirable), or keep it as is.

Reaction score
The figure isn't painted blue, it's molded in blue plastic. I've seen the plastic on some figures "sweat" so I guess there's always the possibility the dyes are leaching from the plastic.
i think anything strong enough to lift heavy stains will bleach or oxidise the material and potentially alter it so I would avoid that and stick with a mild detergent or soap and soak for longer and a few more times.

I'm not aware of what figure parts are colored plastic versus paint apps so I wouldn't have known that, but the idea I had was the same. That perhaps the blue was coming off the figure onto the inside of the cloak; then something caused it to leach through the corners so that it was no longer on the inside but the outside. I may just stick with what you said. Longer cleaning or perhaps trying different agents that aren't too strong, as per the following reply.

I would think that any products used to clean regular clothes would work on this as well. Oxyclean, for one. All those "stain remover" products advertised on TV.
Maybe you could take it to a dry cleaner, don't they do stain removals on regular clothing?

I can just imagine taking that Bib Fortuna coat into a dry cleaners and seeing the funny looks :)

I did go to the dry cleaner and showed it to him. He said he had an idea or two, but he would have to charge me the price of cleaning a handkerchief. I said that's highway robbery, this isn't 1/4 the size of that, and I walked out the door. I want it cleaned but I don't want to be ripped off in getting it done... :p

...Sizzzler, good job on wanting to keep your childhood vintage figures. One of my biggest regrets when I started collecting vintage as an adult in the 90s was that I upgraded a lot of my childhood figures for better conditioned ones. Now I can't tell which is which.

Thanks. Like I said, I don't have the passion today for the line itself, collecting pieces that I never had. I don't have anything against that though. I enjoy seeing the collections of others and seeing things that I never saw or knew about. But my own childhood toys that I still have mean a lot to me.

I am afraid that this may be a lost cause. The cape itself had a slight green blue tint on the inside. This is not something that came from the figure. Whatever got on the cape allowed the dye on the inside to run or fade. I don't think there is anyway to fix it completely without totally bleaching and or dying the cape. You might be able to get the outside of the cape to return back to original color if the dye removes from it, but the inside has already lost the blue green color and wont return that way. If this was mine, I would just get a new cape, but not get rid of this one if the childhood memories are that strong to it. There are few options at this point. You can replace the cape (not desired), bleach and or dye the cape (not real desirable), or keep it as is.

This sounds along the lines of what I was thinking, that the blue leached through and is no longer on the inside. I just didn't know where the blue came from in the first place. The first part of what you said is exactly the type of info I was hoping to find out besides how to clean it; finding out how it might have occurred. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the cloak had this blue tint on the inside, not that it came off of the figure.

Thanks for the input. If I get any results of improvement I'll post new pics. I think I'll do some research on chemicals and cleansers and what fabrics they work on, what might work on dye, and see what I can come up with.