Can AFA Cases for MOCs be Opened and Resealed?

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of AFA MOCs being resealed? I found two in my collection that look suspicious. I could be paranoid, but has anyone ever heard of anyone being able to open an AFA MOC case, and reseal it with a beater before? I mean there is no way to open those cases without smashing them, right? I will post pictures when I get home. Perhaps these two were graded like a decade ago. However, the IG-88 ESB AFA Y-NM 85 MOC either fell off a shelf, or someone tried to open it as the bottom of the AFA case has cracks. I also have a Gamorrean Guard AFA Y-NM 80 MOC that has a huge crack in the bubble beneath his left foot. There also looks like someone tried to open it, as I see a small crack on one side. Possible for a bubble to crack while sealed in an AFA case??? I mean I look at these two figures, and they should have graded way lower. I will need to lookup the AFA numbers to see when they were graded. If scammers have found a way to open AFA cases and reseal them, I will never buy AFA again. Unless it is me sending the figure into AFA or it is from someone reputable.

If anyone has any information, or even pictures, please share! If not, and I'm paranoid, then great! Will post pics later on.

Thanks!
Mynock

Reaction score
Mynock, I am not sure if it is possible to open the afa case and get it resealed without detection, but I do know it is very possible for bubbles to crack after being cased. I have seen lots of pics of bubble failures and even a pic of the "bubble protection" piece coming loose with the entire bubble.

The second instance I am referring to can be seen on the fett here: How not to protect a bubble

Reaction score
I have opened a couple of cases before where the bottom just comes of quite easy but its pretty difficult to avoid any damage to the rest of the case and then have to use another sticker and some more acrylic for the join, so doubt it very much, plus to open up a high graded card to replace it with a lower condition card would then devalue the higher card as would have to resend it of to get regraded again for the premium.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The more likely scenario would be to breach an AFA MOC's case, remove the card, and use AFA's sliding bottom case with a donor label removed from the breached case, or with a repro label. AFA's sliding bottom cases are indistinguishable from their graded cases, so that would certainly be one possibility. We know of at least one instance of a "repro" 21 Back Fett kit, label and case used to produce a counterfeit AFA 90, so whether someone figures out a way to remove it from the breached case (and it's not a stretch, as acrylic is more tolerant than paper to chemicals used to remove the label and hologram), and at minimum, they would have a legit serial number even if they couldn't successfully remove the label from the case and had to reproduce one.

Reaction score
Your worried for nothing , it's not worth the effort , the figures have been damaged since been graded , afa casing provides zero protection from blister degradation

Reaction score
It also doesn't seem to make any sense to open an AFA case and swap it with an obvious beater figure, does it? I think people would probably notice something like that, regardless of the grade. If they were substituting a counterfeit figure for a genuine one or something I could see the motive, but otherwise it seems way more likely that the damage occurred after the grading.

Reaction score
Okay thanks for calming my fears. As promised, I thought I would still share the pictures. I suppose the cases were just damaged... Thanks for the replies!

The Dexter gloves are necessary, and also because it is -6 degrees in Michigan! :awesome:

afa1.jpg

afa2.jpg

afa3.jpg

afa4.jpg

afa5.jpg

afa6.jpg

afa7.jpg

afa8.jpg

Mynock

Reaction score
The cracks on the cases are consistent with the damage, especially on the GG (especially the weight of that figure). The one major downside of AFA cases is they do nothing to protect the blisters during shipment, and I've seen a lot of partially breached to full breached figures. I'd rather have an ungraded MOC in a sliding bottom case or soft case to protect the blister properly with foam or packing peanuts. With the extent of yellowing on them both, you need to handle these carefully from here on in.

Reaction score
AFA cases are perhaps the worst possible way to ship something, which is why you often see cracked bubbles or even figures completely loose inside the case! Anybody with a brain ships yellow bubbled MOCs with some kind of protection around the bubble (rubber band, taped paper etc) and you obviously can't do this with a sealed MOC. Yet another reason to avoid these stupid things.

And putting acrylic around the bubble as they sometimes do adds no protection whatsoever! It has to be something that is a) a tight fit and b) can absorb an impact.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes those cracks are consistent with what I have seen also, I have a few with really minor like cracks or breaks, and they are exactly in those same spots. In the past on Ebay I have inquired about a certain AFA piece, and I ask the seller for pictures of the case and any damage and guess what,,, the are always typical areas that have the same cracks and breaks like you show.

Reaction score
Yes those cracks are consistent with what I have seen also, I have a few with really minor like cracks or breaks, and they are exactly in those same spots. In the past on Ebay I have inquired about a certain AFA piece, and I ask the seller for pictures of the case and any damage and guess what,,, the are always typical areas that have the same cracks and breaks like you show.

If people can't properly secure an item when shipping then yes it will crack, but that rarely happens when we do the shipping and secure all the corners. It's like shipping glassware.

Reaction score
If people can't properly secure an item when shipping then yes it will crack, but that rarely happens when we do the shipping and secure all the corners. It's like shipping glassware.

WRONG.

You may pack the CASE well, but a clumsy or careless postal worker can still drop the box or just handle it roughly. In such an event, there is ZERO protection for the bubble INSIDE that acrylic case, and gravity combined with impact and deteriorating bubbles can cause the figure to burst free no matter how well you pack that box.

Ian

Reaction score
Fair enough, and I agree on that. Of course, most collectors care about the piece inside the case over the acrylic shell, which is where my concern lies here. ;)

Ian

Reaction score
WRONG.

You may pack the CASE well, but a clumsy or careless postal worker can still drop the box or just handle it roughly. In such an event, there is ZERO protection for the bubble INSIDE that acrylic case, and gravity combined with impact and deteriorating bubbles can cause the figure to burst free no matter how well you pack that box.

Ian

Yep, I agree. I was at the post office last night. Had to pick up a delivery confirmation. Once I gave the postal worker my slip, she traveled back to look for my box. During that time I watched a postal worker take a Cisco box which to me looked brand new and just threw it from his hands, to the ground. I was about 20 feet from the guy but that tells you right there that you have no clue what to expect during the shipping process. KABOOM!

Last edited:
Reaction score
WRONG.

Ian

Are you proposing AFA change the case? I would love to see a picture of a graded AFA figure that has "burst free" of its bubble, anyone?

Reaction score
A changed case would work if it adds bubble security.

For an example, just go to the first post in this thread. It's not as extreme an example as I've seen elsewhere but that Gamorrean's foot sticking out of the bubble just negated the grade it got, and really, isn't that the whole point? The lack of adequate protection to the figure inside can lead to damage, and therefore a grade that is useless.

Ian

Reaction score

Well I was referring to, again, to what typically (at least in my experience and seeing my own eyeballs) chips, cracks, breaks, even strains on the acrylic from receiving impact, look like per the original question. I dont think I was talking about AFA sending it that way. I know from experience over the years that for whatever reason, if the cases have say fallen, they can get chipped.

Throughout the years of collecting, you find it on different pieces, not always, but it can happen for whatever reason. Maybe someone had an accident as an example, or maybe in shipping it happens as Ian pointed out. Anything is possible of they are man handled. Thats why I always ask if I am buying a piece from a seller on ebay or say here, whats the condition of the case.

I did have pieces graded by AFA and they, to your point, came packed well with no breaks, cracks, etc. But again, a pretty common spot for say breaks, are the corners. I have seen them to be itty bitty chips to big chunks taken out.

Not really a big deal as accidents happen and I do think that its possible that in a shipping process, if the courier is not careful, they could get cracks or broken very easily like Ian said.