C4: Suggestions for GEN CON & LUCASFILM

Reaction score
Re: C4: Suggestions for GEN CON & LUCASFILM

Ed3 said:
How about some much-larger-size t-shirts for those of us who both love Star Wars and are themselves a lot to love? I would have gladly plunked down $20 for a t-shirt in 5X to cover myself in licensed C3 logos but there was no such thing to be found in the store, not even close. We fans are not all "medium" or even "extra large" so how about some choices for the rest of us?
I posted a similar reply like this earlier in the thread, and I agree with you 100%. Especially given how Star Wars licensed apparel (both sold at conventions and on their official website) tend to run on the small side (XL shirts fitting more like Large sizes, etc). I usually take an XL shirt and sweatshirt, but had to buy a 2XL for both at C3, and they were STILL not quite as roomy as they should have been on me.

So larger (and more roomy-fit) sizes in the adult apparel would be a greatly welcomed sight at the C4 store.

Reaction score

Suggestions update.

Instead of rereading the entire thread I wanted to "summerize" in this post what we all have said to this point.

I numbered the suggestions.

The numbers are basically the order I saw them...they don't mean #1 is highest priority.

Please, for future posts refer to the numbers as a guide.

Feel free to comment/add on any suggestions I missed.

1. Free book give away which
was done at C2.

2. We need a lifesize Saga card with bubble so people can take pics in it again (like at C2) but this time, put a hook or something on it so you can hang accessories (if you costume you could hang your blaster or saber from it, or if not, you can be "Star Wars Fan w/ Action Shopping Bags").

3. The C3 autograph lines and Pre-pay option were awesome.

4. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Bring back SW in 30 minutes and the one man star wars shows.

5. Please make it easier to find the Fan Force/group tables.

6. I would like to see, weeks in advance, an itinerary of what is going on when, as well as a list of any exclusives that I may want to purchase at the con.

7. If you're playing all 6 movies, maybe make it so that they play twice a day, so that people can go see one whenever they have time for it - also play the clone wars cartoons inbetween 2 and 3...its necessary!

8. The store being open 24/7 sounds good.

9. The autograph room worked perfectly, I hope they get some names that have not done the last two.

10. Well, maybe Sansweet or a collector (who lives closer) to the C4 event could display some of their collection. Something along the lines to tie in with 30 of Star Wars.

11. MORE ENTRANCE DOORS!!! Don't try to move thousands of people through TWO DOORS (with another two doors for the non fan club members).

12. BRING ENOUGH STUFF TO SELL!!! and HIRE ENOUGH STAFF TO SELL IT!!!. Don't make people wait SEVEN HOURS to buy the few things you didn't run out of.

13.There need to be separate lines for people who have already registered and those who still need to register and/or purchase their tickets. And I mean outside the building, not inside. I couldn't get there in time to pick up my badge on Wednesday night last year, but the people who did should not have had to wait in the same line as me.

14. Have KNOWLEDGABLE volunteers policing the lines CONTINUOUSLY throughout the morning to answer people's questions and to direct them to the correct line if they are in the wrong one.

15. Make Fan Club Thursday for FAN CLUB MEMBERS ONLY. None of this, "Each FC member can bring in 4 non-FC members." I know that penalizes families, but if I'm paying an extra $40 for the priveledge of getting in that day, I'm entitled to expect it to be at least a little less crowded than the other days.

16. Take preorders for high-demand, exclusive store merchandise so people know if they wait until Sunday or Monday to visit the store, they don't have to worry about not getting what they really want. That way, you won't have 10,000 people in line for the store 20 minutes after the doors open.

The autograph ticket preorder system OP used last year was FANTASTIC. I don't know if there is any way OP can improve upon the terrific way they ran the autograph area last year, but it was certainly one of the highlights of C3 for me, and one of the least stressful areas to deal with.

17. I like the idea of four or in this case five day pass owners getting access to an online store of sorts. that'd be cool.

or how about this-

at least send the exclusive figure to everyone who orders a five day pass in advnace, then they at least have the one item 90% of fans will want!

18. Also, allow for dry places to wait in lines for events or purchases. Don;t force people into lines outside, use the
space wisely inside. Don't make people jump through hoops or stand in lines to avoid stampedes or problems; that psychology does NOT work. Crowd control by those means allows for an unsafe buildup of people in lines in case of
emergency or fire, and personally dehumanizes people.

19. The dealer room closed too early at C3 IMO, I'd like to see it opened later into the night.

20. I'd also really like to see the collector presentations continue at C4. I find them fascinating.

21. Other suggestions would be to have more space and more frequent occurrences of popular attractions.

22. Having clear instructions for volunteers (so that each one actually knows what's what) is important. There's no shortage of volunteers, so making use of free labor should be a given.

23. Have volunteers routinely walk up and down lines announcing what's happening for that line, or what will happen. People standing for hours and only hearing scant info doesn't help. If something is filled up, or sold out, or takes 20 minutes for 8 people to participate in, then let the rest of the line know - often.

24. If your voluteers had walkie talkes, then it's even better. At least they could ask someone in the know or they'd hear other conversations which would automatically keep them up to date and now to move things along or assist people.

25. On a related note, having general (PA system) announcements would be a great idea. Then everyone knows what's happening. Many Celebrations had problems because people were getting different instructions from different people and they didn't know what was what. People at the end of an 8-hour line really feel clueless when they don't hear any info or when they're wondering if they are in the correct line or if that line will dissolve before they get in the door.

26. If something looks like it will be sold out or filled up before the end of the line can participate then a volunteer should routinely be at the cut-off spot warning others not to line up. Or have something printed up that you give to the people at the end of the line that says "LINE FULL" or something to that effect so others will realize that it's done. The people at the back of the line would be in charge of spreading the word. I think they'd be willing to do it.

27. The Lucas prop room needs to be bigger or have a better way to shuttle people in and out. The line/wait for this was crazy at C3 and once I got inside I found out many people would stay in there for an hour and take pics.

I actually heard several attendants tell some folks repeatedly to leave because they had been in there for an hour.

28. I would have liked to have seen a large sign outside each entrance stating the event/show being held inside as well as the times it is being held. Too many times I was forced to read that skimpy white itenirary pamphlet that was handed out to see what event/show I wanted to see next.

For C4, I hope there is more prominent signage at each room entrance detailing what's being held inside.

29. My big complaint from C3 was the party. It was expensive to attend but there wasn't anything to do except buy overpriced drinks! The idea of a party is good but it really needs to be fleshed out.

30. Sounds like they need to take note of the party that 989 Sports throws each year at teh Super Bowl. The attendees basically stand at a rope line (or counter here in Atlanta) and as the celebs entered the party it was like a private red carpet event. You got to take pics and get autos. And inside the party you could approach the players and they had cool events inside too.

31. Wouldnt it be cool to play SW Battlefront 2 with say Amy Allen playing as Ayla, or Morrison controlling Jango?

32. I would like to see the event itinerary posted in .PDF format for dowload off the GenCon website the week before C4.

33. Once the events / shows have been set for C4, publish it on the GenCon website so we can download it beforehand and plan our week accordingly.

34. How about a room dedicated to music and video's, to view and buy on CD and DVD. Since the Celebrations look like there will be more after CIV how about theming the conventions to where they are to a place in the Star Wars Galaxy. Like Tatooine would like be at Las Vegas and so forth.

35. How about a closing ceremony, with a look into the future of Star Wars, and possible upcoming Star Wars Celebrations.

36. How about a room dedicated to the peaple that have helped make Star Wars that are not with us anymore.

37. I would love to see Alienware put together a huge Battlefront/Battlefront 2 Lan party!!!

38. My biggest suggestion -- pre-sale of Celebration "stuff" from the store. You buy, you go to the "Pick Up" window(s) and get your items.

39. How about an arcade room, and have some computers set up to play some games.

40. How about some Jackets Leather, windbreaker, hooded, reversable, removableliner, rainproof, zipper no pullovers.

41. Since places to eat are kinda few and far between around the convention center, I would ask the panel/events programmers at GenCon to NOT schedule any "one time only" panels during the hours of 12 noon to 1:30 PM. It would be a real shame to miss an important panel because I had to hike six or seven blocks to find something to eat!

42. recycle panels every day; ie., have the same Hasbro or Gentle Giant or Master Replicas panel every day during lunch, so no one will miss anything.

43. How about having drinks and food in the Fan Club Lounge!!

FREE to FAN CLUB MEMBERS!!!!!

44. I'll just point out that this time Gen Con needs to have experienced cashiers at the store who have been given at least a 1 hour introduction to the products that they will be ringing up. And that they be proficient with the cash registers BEFORE they begin. Again, a total 3 hour training session (the day before the convention) should help. Also it would be nice if the registers were pre-programmed with codes for each product to reduce the hunting and pecking.

45. One thing that might help is to have vouchers people can purchase ahead of time for high-volume items like the exclusive figure. And to limit the figures per person the badge punch can still be employed. This way there is no cash/credit transaction to slow things down, merely an exchage of vouchers for figures and then the badge stamp. Doing the money exchange is the largest delay factor and if there is a line or two dedicated specifically to this it would really help cut down on the overall store traffic.

46. Being a fan of Gentle Giant stuff, I'd really like to see them do a panel.

47. The Archive room should be 24 hours also.

48. How about some much-larger-size t-shirts for those of us who both love Star Wars and are themselves a lot to love? I would have gladly plunked down $20 for a t-shirt in 5X to cover myself in licensed C3 logos but there was no such thing to be found in the store, not even close. We fans are not all "medium" or even "extra large" so how about some choices for the rest of us?

49. So larger (and more roomy-fit) sizes in the adult apparel would be a greatly welcomed sight at the C4 store.

50. I'd like to see a room with pc's or MAC's whatever so fans could email they're thoughts, chat and pictures or whathaveyou to other fans who could not attend C4.

51. I'd like to see podcasts done. Podcast of helpful info for convention goers.

Keep the suggestion coming.
As we all get updated info I'm sure we can all chime in here.

Stay Safe
JT

Reaction score

You forgot something...

* And pony rides. But dress them like tauntauns or speeder bikes.

Seriously, the past 3 Celebrations were fun, but the BIGGEST source of all the problems was LACK OF COMMUNICATION to the attendees and volunteers that had to answer to upset attendees.
The volunteers did the best they could but they almost always got conflicting information. Finally, the leadership just stopped telling anyone anything, at least that way they didn't have to commit to any decision.
Damage control was horrible at all 3 events.

Needless to say, I can't wait for C4, no matter how poorly organized it is. I don't really expect much from Gen-Con/LFL.
-theropod

Reaction score

Excellent post, JT. I think you nailed down just about every concern/idea that was posted here.

Very nice job bringing them all together. Now let's hope somebody at Gen Con and/or LFL reads this comprehensive post and actually ACTS on some/all of our suggestions!

Reaction score

jedijoephx said:
whats a good website for c4?
Unfortunately, there is nothing really out there yet. The only info about C4 can be found on Starwars.com (and it just talks about C4 being held in LA and the basic stuff).

Nothing substantial as of yet.

Reaction score

Jedi_Justin said:
Excellent post, JT. I think you nailed down just about every concern/idea that was posted here.

Very nice job bringing them all together. Now let's hope somebody at Gen Con and/or LFL reads this comprehensive post and actually ACTS on some/all of our suggestions!
Thanks JJ! I was getting cross eyed going back and forth.

Now we wait till the tickets and hotels become available and we can add or suggestions here.

Stay Safe
JT

Reaction score

How about not having any more possible future Celebrations in Los Angeles/The West Coast?

Once in Denver, twice in Indy, ONCE only please in LA, the first in Europe(actually a good idea) Now...

How about a future Celebration on the US East Coast somewhere? Logically, if LA is considered a good place to have one of these, and Europe is too, then throw one down smack dab in the middle of the two? However, Indy would be preferable to most of us.

Since the West Coast is out of the question for me, I cannot attend. This is all I can think of at the moment.

iHu

Reaction score

On Jedi_Turok's list, #18 is a moot point. I'm about 99.9% sure it is not going to rain late-May in Los Angeles (b/c that's 1 month into a very reliable California dry season). Also, who wants the primary entry line snaking around inside the convention space? I don't think that's gonna happen. Besides, lines indoors are LESS safe from a fire marshall's perspective, and there will already be plenty of those going on in regard to stores/rooms/panels/etc.

Most of those points are good, though, thanks for compiling it JT.

Reaction score

iHu said:
On Jedi_Turok's list, #18 is a moot point. I'm about 99.9% sure it is not going to rain late-May in Los Angeles (b/c that's 1 month into a very reliable California dry season). Also, who wants the primary entry line snaking around inside the convention space? I don't think that's gonna happen. Besides, lines indoors are LESS safe from a fire marshall's perspective, and there will already be plenty of those going on in regard to stores/rooms/panels/etc.

Most of those points are good, though, thanks for compiling it JT.
Glad to help iHu.

Reaction score

Here GenCon/Lucasfilm...go check out the latest issue of TIME, regarding Star Wars Californiabration 4:

The newest TIME magazine has a geographic chart of the entire United States...by population density! And the fact of the matter is that most US residents are indeed within driving distance of Indianapolis. Or, conversely, most of the US population is outside of driving distance to LA.

You gotta see the chart! Practically everything from the east edge of Texas moving eastward is red(denoting heavy population centers) with really tall red spikes to show higher concentrations.

West of that, and it's a relatively barren white landscape. Sure, Cali has a couple of standout spots, as does Seattle, Denver, Phoenix, SLC, and Vegas. But it's truly laughable when compared to the entire rest of the nation. In fact, the top five areas are, in descending order: NYC metro area, LA metro area, Chicago area, Philly area, Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Gee...four of the top five population centers are inside and eastward of Texas? Smart Lucasfilm/GenCon...very smart indeed

So, anybody here able to scan that image in for GenCon and Lucasfilm and fellow forum members to see? It's in TIME's October 30th issue.

iHu

Reaction score

That's what airplanes are for!

Nobody cares about the population density, they wanted the conventionin LA and it's in LA! I didn't care when I had to fly to Indy and I don't care now thatI have to drive 6 hours (365 miles) to LA. In fact, it will be a longer travel time fdriving from SF-LA than the flight from SF-Indy was.

The point is -- Whatever!!!

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Capntarpals said:
Here GenCon/Lucasfilm...go check out the latest issue of TIME, regarding Star Wars Californiabration 4:

The newest TIME magazine has a geographic chart of the entire United States...by population density! And the fact of the matter is that most US residents are indeed within driving distance of Indianapolis. Or, conversely, most of the US population is outside of driving distance to LA.

You gotta see the chart! Practically everything from the east edge of Texas moving eastward is red(denoting heavy population centers) with really tall red spikes to show higher concentrations.

West of that, and it's a relatively barren white landscape. Sure, Cali has a couple of standout spots, as does Seattle, Denver, Phoenix, SLC, and Vegas. But it's truly laughable when compared to the entire rest of the nation. In fact, the top five areas are, in descending order: NYC metro area, LA metro area, Chicago area, Philly area, Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Gee...four of the top five population centers are inside and eastward of Texas? Smart Lucasfilm/GenCon...very smart indeed

So, anybody here able to scan that image in for GenCon and Lucasfilm and fellow forum members to see? It's in TIME's October 30th issue.
Lets quit sidtracking this C-4 suggestion thread with suggestions for them to move the event. You're beating a dead horse here. The event will be in LA and if you do not have a suggestion for how to make the show an even better show other than moving it into your backyard, simply do not post to this thread.

So please, back on track with the Suggestions for Gen Con & LFL on how to make C-4 in LA an even better event than C-3 was.

post away!

Reaction score

Dustin The event will be in LA and if you do not have a suggestion for how to make the show an even better show other than moving it into your backyard said:
Ok Mr. President, sir
!

Just please don't underestimate the ire and frustration felt by many of us in the fan community on this particular subject. I just happen to be a little more vocal about it. Having said that, here're some real suggestions then:

Is it possible for the local fire marshal and/or equivalent person(s) to walk the convention inside and out PRIOR to anybody showing up for C4 on the first day? That way, any inevitable long lines will already have contingency plans in place to deal with them.

Having personally been to the two prior Celebrations, I noticed that when some lines get too long, there didn't seem to be a great effort to control or curtail these lines in an adequate, safe, or logical manner. As with some other cons I've been to, it'd be a shame if the fire marshal or whoever had to put the kibosh on the festivities due to some perceived fire code violation. A concerted effort prior to the first day of the Celebration could alleviate any hassles.

A second thought: At C2 and C3, the amount of available locker space at the convention was very limited. I've never been to the LA Convention Center so I don't know what they have along those lines, but I'd recommend installing extra, temporary storage lockers(if that thing is at all a possibility) Y'know, for those of us who lug around piles of stuff to be signed or whatnot?

Oh, and do make the C4 floor plan pamphlet type/pictures a little larger. My eyes won't be there to see it, and they're better than 20/20, but I don't exactly think most people want to have to break out a magnifying glass just to see where something is located on the floorplan/layout.

Don't let any of the exhibitors in that area of the con play excessively loud music/announcements ad nauseam day in and day out. It's overkill, and it's exceptionally annoying.

...that's all, I think.

Reaction score

I will beat a dead horse here....

Please have preorders for the store! I am dreading showing up only to find out the five items I want are sold out to scalpers.

Reaction score
Re: C4: Suggestions for GEN CON or other powers to

I would like to see the Skywalker Ranch Winery reprensented at CIV.

Reaction score

Master_Jepoy said:
I will beat a dead horse here....

Please have preorders for the store! I am dreading showing up only to find out the five items I want are sold out to scalpers.
As much as I would love to have the option of pre-ordering items from the C4 store, I highly doubt Gen Con will do that. With the store being open 24 hours, they will probably feel that this is enough to satisfy most fans' concerns about inventory and getting what they want.

Reaction score

Here we go how about cutting wait times by handing out a ticket that is color cordinated that has the time of the show, and the name of the show.Then hand them out so we don't have to wait in line and not get into a show that we could possibly wait over an hour or two for only to find out that we couldn't see, also tell peaple that they have to show up at least five min. before your seat is given away.

Reaction score

I mentioned pre-ordering Celebration Store items to Steve Sansweet over a year ago and he said he would love them to do it, but the problem was that some licenses for merchandise didn't come back in enough time to make this a possibility. He did say he would look into it again for 'next time' (meaning this Celebration)

Reaction score

I would like to see the 501st carry flags like what they did in the Rose Bowl Parade again in person.

Reaction score

As my first act I shall cr.....oh suggest that 'The Immolation Scene' (trk.12) from the ROTS soundtrack be played in the final minutes or hour of CIV. It's very sad. I think fans would dig it.
Second, measures should be put in place so certain vendors (I won't mention names) do not have all of their employees gobble up exclusive merch before the doors open and thus give the fans a raw deal. I can't think of something specific off the top of my head, but please be aware that this happens and is extremely disappointing to fans and collectors alike. I hope more people back me up on this. Scalpers = evil

thx
-bksct

Reaction score

Just had an idea to help the CIV shop. Remember the checklist we were given by Official Pix for the photos and autographs? (a list of the available photographs if I remember correctly) What about a CIV catalogue with a page at the back that lists the items and boxes to tick what you want and what quantity, then you just hand it over at the shop hopefully speeding up the whole process.

Oh and clearer signs about the 'non travellers cheque' queues. We got to the front last time only to wait another hour because we had travellers cheques.

Reaction score

bikerscout said:
As my first act I shall cr.....oh suggest that 'The Immolation Scene' (trk.12) from the ROTS soundtrack be played in the final minutes or hour of CIV. It's very sad. I think fans would dig it.
Second, measures should be put in place so certain vendors (I won't mention names) do not have all of their employees gobble up exclusive merch before the doors open and thus give the fans a raw deal. I can't think of something specific off the top of my head, but please be aware that this happens and is extremely disappointing to fans and collectors alike. I hope more people back me up on this. Scalpers = evil

thx
-bksct
That's a great idea! I think GG did that last year at GenCon. They didn't allow the vendors to buy until the very last day.

Reaction score

deathstar1000 said:
bikerscout said:

thx
-bksct
That's a great idea! I think GG did that last year at GenCon. They didn't allow the vendors to buy until the very last day.
I like GG thinking on that one. Come on guys support me on the shot at merch fairness. Otherwise the sith will rule.

Reaction score

Here's a suggestion that I really hope is seen through:

Mail out the pre-ordered CIV admission badges well in advance.

For C3, my wife and I received our 4-day admission badges about two and a half weeks before our scheduled flight out to Indy. Turns out, Gen Con only sent one of the orange Hyperspace FC lanayrds with our badge order (both my wife and I are FC members, and both of our Gen Con accounts reflected that before we ordered our two badges). Luckily, I was able to get in touch with a rep from Gen Con via e-mail, who took care of us and mailed out a second orange FC lanyard immediately.

I think the CIV pre-ordered admission badges should be mailed out no later than April 1st. End the pre-order on that day and any fans wanting to attend will have to purchase their badges on-site at CIV. That gives fans a solid 6 weeks to get their badges and correct any problems they might have with their order (such as a missing FC lanyard, wrong badge sent, etc).

Reaction score

might be nice to have Harrison Ford around for autographs

Reaction score

Does Harrison Ford ever show up to sign autographs at any shows?

Reaction score

Obi_Phantom_Jedi said:
What about a CIV catalogue with a page at the back that lists the items and boxes to tick what you want and what quantity, then you just hand it over at the shop hopefully speeding up the whole process.
Wow! I really like that idea. I think that would really speed up the line. I am assuming of course, that they don't have to go behind some curtain and search some wild box-maze to find each individual item on your list. (What in the world was the problem at C3 anyway?)

It seems like they are trying to set up the store in a whole different way. Any insight on that process?

Reaction score

The store seems to have been looked at extensively for this years Celebration. It couldn't have been worse at CIII. I think the Sideshow Pre-order process is the way to go. It's too late now probably, but Hasbro and GenCon need to take a few cues from Sideshow about handling exclusives. ALSO, what about pre-registering for some of the bigger shows at the event? I know business conventions that do this regularly and not having to stand in line for the Opening Ceremonies or other big deal shows (like Lucas' appearance) would make the experience better.
I see Carrie Fisher is going to GOUGE everyone to see her speak. What a joke... pay $140 to get the right to pay another $15 bucks to see one of the events. It just isn't right. Unless she's appearing in Star Wars Episode VII, I'm not paying $15 to see her talk for a few minutes.

Reaction score

I realize that the convention is for the fans and attendees. But, I worked in the fan hall from an hour before opening until an hour after closing every day and found it down right impossible to get anything because of the line.

How about a deal that allows associates and staff to get at least one of the exclusive figures and such at the start.

Reaction score

GG, Sideshow, Hasbro, etc at one end of the building, vendors at the other end.

Single file line into the exhibit hall. People who waited in line for hours are applauded for their efforts.

30th Ann. of SW? Show ANH everyday 24hrs.

Show Clone Wars everyday.

Set up monitors throughout the convention so you can see other events going.

All children should get a free toy.

Pre-Order all exclusives.

A more active roll with the disabled.

Let the fans pick vote for C4 store items...bad, bad selection.

Reaction score

The clothing items in the store (shirts, jackets, hoodies, etc) should run on the large side and not the small side. Also, offer both adult and child sizes.

Reaction score

starwarslady said:
The clothing items in the store (shirts, jackets, hoodies, etc) should run on the large side and not the small side. Also, offer both adult and child sizes.
I'm a pretty tall dude, so I usually don't buy a shirt unless it's at least 2XL. Take into account the shrinkage factor with 100% cotton and I try to buy 3XL. Enough of the mediums and larges!

Ed3

Reaction score

Order enough pins, get the patches in before the show starts, and don't think that just because you sold out of cold weather gear in the snow of Indianapolis that you need five times as much cold weather gear for the sun of L.A.

Oh, and more shirts in the bigger sizes. Why so many medium shirts and next to nothing above 2X? Fat guys love Star Wars, too. (We really do.)

Reaction score

xopolos said:
GG, Sideshow, Hasbro, etc at one end of the building, vendors at the other end.

Single file line into the exhibit hall. People who waited in line for hours are applauded for their efforts.

30th Ann. of SW? Show ANH everyday 24hrs.

Show Clone Wars everyday.

Set up monitors throughout the convention so you can see other events going.

All children should get a free toy.

Pre-Order all exclusives.

A more active roll with the disabled.

Let the fans pick vote for C4 store items...bad, bad selection.
couldn't agree more. good points all around.