C4: Suggestions for GEN CON & LUCASFILM

Reaction score
Re: C4: Suggestions for GEN CON or other powers to

pelh9702 said:
darthfloyd said:
The C3 autograph lines and Pre-pay option were awesome.
That is a must. I was severely dissapointed at the way Disney ran the autographs at SWW. Due to EMH at Disney I didnt get a Fast Pass for any of the 4 celebs signing. By time I got in line at 9:05 I was told it was already done.
With an expected (and much anticipated) top-shelf actor/actress guest list (are you listening Hamill, Fisher, Prowse, Jackson, Daniels, Mayhew?), the autograph section of C4 should be well-handled and made easily fan-accessible.

Will any of these guests make an apperance? Who can tell for sure. Let's just hope they do (I'm not even considering Ford) and that GenCon / LFL makes obtaining their autographs is as painless as can be.

Reaction score

pelh9702 said:
Sounds like they need to take note of the party that 989 Sports throws each year at teh Super Bowl. The attendees basically stand at a rope line (or counter here in Atlanta) and as the celebs entered the party it was like a private red carpet event. You got to take pics and get autos. And inside the party you could approach the players and they had cool events inside too.

Wouldnt it be cool to play SW Battlefront 2 with say Amy Allen playing as Ayla, or Morrison controlling Jango?
Sounds good to me. I hope GenCon is listening.

Reaction score

I would like to see the event itinerary posted in .PDF format for dowload off the GenCon website the week before C4. It was made available to people for pickup at the Indy CC the day before C3 last year (Wednesday), and that really upset me. There I was standing on line bright and early Thursday morning, and people already have the white pamphlet in their hands scoping out the details.

Once the events / shows have been set for C4, publish it on the GenCon website so we can download it beforehand and plan our week accordingly.

Reaction score
Re: C4: Suggestions for GEN CON & LUCASFILM

How about a room dedicated to music and video's, to view and buy on CD and DVD. Since the Celebrations look like there will be more after CIV how about theming the conventions to where they are to a place in the Star Wars Galaxy. Like Tatooine would like be at Las Vegas and so forth.

Reaction score

Troy_Henley said:
How about a room dedicated to music and video's, to view and buy on CD and DVD. Since the Celebrations look like there will be more after CIV how about theming the conventions to where they are to a place in the Star Wars Galaxy. Like Tatooine would like be at Las Vegas and so forth.
Hmmm, not sure if there would be enough relevant product to fill a convention room for this purpose.

Reaction score

JustOneMore said:
Make the Holiday Inn neart LACC available to Hyperspace members now!!!

Bruce

I went to Celebration III last year. I got in the "special" Star Wars Fan Club members only line to get into the building a half-hour before the doors opened. It took more than TWO HOURS for everyone in line ahead of me to go through the TWO entrance doors they had for the THOUSANDS of people in that line.

There was a similarly humongous line for the non fan club members.

By the time I got in they had closed the line to the store because there were already too many people in line. Same thing happened the next day. You had to essentially plan to get there early enough to be near the front of the line to get into the building, and then spend the rest of that day in line to get into the store.

Finally on the third day I was able to get into the store line (and only after ignoring a GenCon employee who said it was pointless getting in line because it was unlikely we were going to actually get into the store). Then it took SEVEN HOURS of standing (and sitting) in line to buy stuff from the official store. They had maybe 10 counter people serving thousands of people. As we were waiting there HOUR AFTER HOUR they announced the latest items they had just sold out of. By the time I got a chance to buy anything they were sold out of half of the items.

The whole thing was poorly planned and woefully understaffed and understocked.

The same gang will be running Celebration IV. You have been warned.

Suggestions? MORE ENTRANCE DOORS!!! Don't try to move thousands of people through TWO DOORS (with another two doors for the non fan club members).

BRING ENOUGH STUFF TO SELL!!! and HIRE ENOUGH STAFF TO SELL IT!!!. Don't make people wait SEVEN HOURS to buy the few things you didn't run out of. They missed out on THOUSANDS of $$$$$$$$ in sales because they didn't bring enough merchandise. There were people willing to wait SEVEN HOURS standing in line to buy their stuff, AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH STUFF TO SELL!

This isn't rocket science.

Reaction score

Those of us who attended C3 last year remember all too well how horrendous the entrances were handled. Thousands of anxious fans funneling thru two small doors? I was one of the lucky people I guess who was on line early enough on Thursday morning that I got into the C3 store relatively quickly and was able to buy all of the merchandise that I wanted.

I think GenCon will have the entrance situation handled this time around due to the fact that the LACC is much larger than the Indy CC.

Larger CC = More entrances. Let's hope GenCon "realizes" this and opens more doors for fan entrances, especially since I think there will be more than the 34,000 fans who showed up for C3 attending C4. My guess says we have close to 50,000 fans over the course of the 5 days.

Reaction score

How about a closing ceremony, with a look into the future of Star Wars, and possible upcoming Star Wars Celebrations.

Reaction score

How about a room dedicated to the peaple that have helped make Star Wars that are not with us anymore.

Reaction score

I would love to see Alienware put together a huge Battlefront/Battlefront 2 Lan party!!!

(+)RD(+)GROG ReconDroids RULE!!!!!!

Reaction score

mousedroid said:
If possible, set up a dedicated room with a couple thousand seats, a full size movie screen, excellent sound system and digital movie projector and show all six films around the clock for all five days. That way no one will ever have to wait in line to see a special one-time-only screening.

I wonder how many people would actually go watch the movies, even if they were being shown in a state of the art theater, if there wasn't a special "limited showing" aspect to them. Very few, I'll bet.
Why do that when I can stay home and get even better than what they show.

Reaction score

Jedi_Justin said:
Those of us who attended C3 last year remember all too well how horrendous the entrances were handled. Thousands of anxious fans funneling thru two small doors? I was one of the lucky people I guess who was on line early enough on Thursday morning that I got into the C3 store relatively quickly and was able to buy all of the merchandise that I wanted.

I think GenCon will have the entrance situation handled this time around due to the fact that the LACC is much larger than the Indy CC.

Larger CC = More entrances. Let's hope GenCon "realizes" this and opens more doors for fan entrances, especially since I think there will be more than the 34,000 fans who showed up for C3 attending C4. My guess says we have close to 50,000 fans over the course of the 5 days.
Honestly, only reason it will have more attendance is because of the extention of days. SW lives in us fans, but now since they decided to not place it centrally in the USA and make travel even harder for the International folks, many that went to the last three won't go. Nor the non fanatic fans and their kids will travel to this one. Hopfully this is the last one for awhile. I've gone to the last three, but could honestly care less. SW is about the movies and with no new movie footage, it ran it's course in my mind. Was a fun ride. Now it's just to make money while still fresh in peoples minds. Hell, even the live TV series isn't going to be out for years according to McCallum. Just sems ho-hum to me. I guess if you been to the last three, what else can they really show you on a non-movie celebration.

Reaction score

K3PO said:
Jedi_Justin said:

Honestly, only reason it will have more attendance is because of the extention of days. SW lives in us fans, but now since they decided to not place it centrally in the USA and make travel even harder for the International folks, many that went to the last three won't go. Nor the non fanatic fans and their kids will travel to this one. Hopfully this is the last one for awhile. I've gone to the last three, but could honestly care less. SW is about the movies and with no new movie footage, it ran it's course in my mind. Was a fun ride. Now it's just to make money while still fresh in peoples minds. Hell, even the live TV series isn't going to be out for years according to McCallum. Just sems ho-hum to me. I guess if you been to the last three, what else can they really show you on a non-movie celebration.
Wow, and you couldn't believe how I responded in the thread about how Gen Con should deal with the large amount of fans.

How do you know international fans will not make the trip? There have already been members on this Forum from the UK who stated they are going to make the 10-12 hour plane trip. And the extension is only one additional day - how is that a big attendance draw? Die-hard fans will make the trip to C4 (and to C5 and C6 when they are held) regardless of its location. Yes, finances and time are a huge factor. But to generalize and say that ALL international fans will not attend is ridiculous and off base. With a year of planning and saving before C4 rolls around, we can expect tens of thousands of SW fans to attend. The 30th year anniversary of SW is more than enough of a reason to brings fans to C4. The lack of a movie release carries some weight, but how do know it will have the inverse effect that you mention?

Reaction score

Well, I can promise you this. I will be there.

Even though a Celebration Europe has been announced in the UK, I want the real deal with all my American, Canadian, Mexican etc friends.

This is one fan from the UK who will not miss Celebration IV - Bring it on!

(And Justin, I'll see you at the Fig dude, we'll have beer!)

Obi-Wan

Reaction score

Obi_Phantom_Jedi said:
Well, I can promise you this. I will be there.

Even though a Celebration Europe has been announced in the UK, I want the real deal with all my American, Canadian, Mexican etc friends.

This is one fan from the UK who will not miss Celebration IV - Bring it on!

(And Justin, I'll see you at the Fig dude, we'll have beer!)

Obi-Wan
Obi, save my wife and I a seat by the pool. And we'll knock a few cold ones back for sure!

Reaction score

What truly non-sensical statement Crap3PO points out- if you were to poll 1000 ppl Overseas if they had a choice of going to Indianapolis or LA, I bet 999 of them would say LA. LAX and all the other airports have many many more direct flights internationally vs. Indiana.

What truly absurd reasoning.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Keep the suggestions coming guys, Lucasfilm does check this stuff out believe it or not!

Reaction score

Dustin said:
Keep the suggestions coming guys, Lucasfilm does check this stuff out believe it or not!
I sure hope they have a large enough notepad to take down all these suggestions.

Reaction score

My biggest suggestion -- pre-sale of Celebration "stuff" from the store. You buy, you go to the "Pick Up" window(s) and get your items. I truly cannot understand why this isn't offered. The orders come in, you add the names and the items to a database, you print it out and bring it with you to the con. After, of course, you might sure you bring enough items LOL.

Does GenCon like playing a guessing game of "gee, how many Large Celebration IV t-shirts should we bring? Let's flip a coin!" At least this way they'd have some idea of numbers.

In these days of e-commerce, it seems ridiculous to me to focus on doing it "the old fashioned way."

Reaction score

How about an arcade room, and have some computers set up to play some games.

Reaction score

How about some Jackets Leather, windbreaker, hooded, reversable, removableliner, rainproof, zipper no pullovers.

Reaction score

Since places to eat are kinda few and far between around the convention center, I would ask the panel/events programmers at GenCon to NOT schedule any "one time only" panels during the hours of 12 noon to 1:30 PM. It would be a real shame to miss an important panel because I had to hike six or seven blocks to find something to eat!

Or, recycle panels every day; ie., have the same Hasbro or Gentle Giant or Master Replicas panel every day during lunch, so no one will miss anything.

Reaction score

How about having drinks and food in the Fan Club Lounge!!

FREE to FAN CLUB MEMBERS!!!!!

Reaction score

Grog_Starkiller said:
How about having drinks and food in the Fan Club Lounge!!

FREE to FAN CLUB MEMBERS!!!!!
There were food and drinks available to FC members at C3 in the Lounge, but for a price though (and a high price at that). $5.00 for a measly burger? $3.00 for a stale fountain soda? No thanks.

Don't count on the convention food situation to improve for us at C4 IMO. Better off hitting up a grocery store and packing your own sandwiches, bottles of water, snacks, etc.

Reaction score

Since LFL is reading, I'll just point out that this time Gen Con needs to have experienced cashiers at the store who have been given at least a 1 hour introduction to the products that they will be ringing up. And that they be proficient with the cash registers BEFORE they begin. Again, a total 3 hour training session (the day before the convention) should help. Also it would be nice if the registers were pre-programmed with codes for each product to reduce the hunting and pecking.

Watching those temps at C3 bumble through all of this as people were in line with their money ready was incredibly frustrating. They were in way over their heads and in front of an audience of 100's who were not very happy. The store opening is NOT the time for training/learning.

The store is really not a store and more like a production line. As such it needs to have the efficiency of a production line to get people in and out quickly.

One thing that might help is to have vouchers people can purchase ahead of time for high-volume items like the exclusive figure. And to limit the figures per person the badge punch can still be employed. This way there is no cash/credit transaction to slow things down, merely an exchage of vouchers for figures and then the badge stamp. Doing the money exchange is the largest delay factor and if there is a line or two dedicated specifically to this it would really help cut down on the overall store traffic.

-chris

Reaction score

Jedi_Justin said:
There were food and drinks available to FC members at C3 in the Lounge, but for a price though (and a high price at that).
Here's one for you. Sodas were actually *more* expensive in the fan club room than out. I remember there was a stand in the hallway, heading towards the collector panel rooms (white river?), that had cheaper sodas. It was maybe 40 feet outside the door.
I would leave the FC room, buy a soda, and then go back. They were something like $1.00 or more cheaper. LOL

John

Reaction score

Eh, who needs food anyway? The con's more important. At both C2 and C3 I'd eat something at the hotel before going to the con. Then about 1:00pm or so I'd get a bottle of water and a Snickers and I'd be good till after the con when we went to dinner.

I think I ate lunch one day at C2 because we skipped breakfast that day. That was it. I spent less than $75 total on food at C3.

E...

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Troy_Henley said:
How about an arcade room, and have some computers set up to play some games.
This would be cool!!!!!!

Reaction score

efranks said:
Eh, who needs food anyway? The con's more important. At both C2 and C3 I'd eat something at the hotel before going to the con. Then about 1:00pm or so I'd get a bottle of water and a Snickers and I'd be good till after the con when we went to dinner.

I think I ate lunch one day at C2 because we skipped breakfast that day. That was it. I spent less than $75 total on food at C3.

E...
Personally, I agree somewhat with what you're saying. My wife and I really didn't drop much coin on food either at C3.

But try telling this to a father and mother who brought their three 7-year old children to C4. Finding decent food (at a fair price) is very important to families with younger children. This doesn't apply to my wife and I since we do not have any kids ourselves, but you can see my point,

Reaction score

I'm wondering if the fan club members only day is going to be like preview night at SDCC, meaning that there isn't a lot of programming but they open up the exhibit hall and store and things like that. Also being a fan of Gentle Giant stuff, I'd really like to see them do a panel.

Reaction score

• I would suggest, the high-end companies don't produce anything that comes out in May or the beginning of June (and they should probably keep July and the beginning of August free too).
  • I think the store should do pre-orders. But give you a scheduled time to pick your stuff up. For example, any day between 2-4 PM, or any time the convention isn't opened. This way, they could limit the number of people going at the same time to pick up stuff.

I know at C3, I bought a couple items I hadn't originally planned to buy, after I had seen them in person. I'd like to be able to browse through the store while they're filling my order, and if I see something else I could bring it up when my order's ready and just add it to the order and pay for it all at once.
  • The Archive room should be 24 hours also
  • Troy_Henley said:
    How about a room dedicated to the peaple that have helped make Star Wars that are not with us anymore.
    I really like this idea.
  • I'd like to be able to film stuff. I can understand if it's something that's supposed to be secret; but not being able to even take pictures of the costume party, what kinda crap is that?

Reaction score

efranks said:

E...
Honestly, I think I spent about 30 bucks on food at C3, and that was 2 times at Subway and a decent dinner one night. I ate at the hotel for breakfast and didn't even miss food til we got back that night. Honestly, I wish there were cons that lasted a month - maybe I'd lose some weight with all the running around but not eating!

Reaction score

I do not know if anyone else is, but my friend and I are are planning on arriving early,like the Monday prior to the con.
This is just wishful thinking, but i think it would be great if there was like a pre-party/cookout at Steve Sansweets Rancho-Obi-wan.Maybe on Wendsday for all the fanclub members who are arriving early.

Probably won't happen but nice to dream big!!!
Cya at C4!!!

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Grog_Starkiller said:
I do not know if anyone else is, but my friend and I are are planning on arriving early,like the Monday prior to the con.
This is just wishful thinking, but i think it would be great if there was like a pre-party/cookout at Steve Sansweets Rancho-Obi-wan.Maybe on Wendsday for all the fanclub members who are arriving early.

Cya at C4!!!
That'd be kind of hard to do since Rancho Obi-Wan is near San Francisco, not Los Angeles ;-)

Reaction score

Dustin said:
Grog_Starkiller said:

Cya at C4!!!
That'd be kind of hard to do since Rancho Obi-Wan is near San Francisco, not Los Angeles ;-)
Oh, oopps I forgot that part,would be a bit of a drive eh.
Ok how about a pre party at the Fig. then!!

Reaction score

I plan on arriving Tues night, but we'll see how things go. I still need to find a job so I can fund this little trip!

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

let's try to get back on topic here!

C4: Suggestions for GEN CON & LUCASFILM

Reaction score

Information in advance would be nice. So far all we really know is the date.

I need to start getting the funds ready as its a major expense and the hotel cost is my single biggest unknown. It soulds like I may need transportation money as well as the hotels are not close.

Reaction score

Vader71 said:
Information in advance would be nice. So far all we really know is the date.

I need to start getting the funds ready as its a major expense and the hotel cost is my single biggest unknown. It soulds like I may need transportation money as well as the hotels are not close.
Look for more information on C4 in the next month or so on GenCon's website (and possibly starwars.com). Late September last year was when the admission badges for C3 became available.

Ed3

Reaction score

How about some much-larger-size t-shirts for those of us who both love Star Wars and are themselves a lot to love? I would have gladly plunked down $20 for a t-shirt in 5X to cover myself in licensed C3 logos but there was no such thing to be found in the store, not even close. We fans are not all "medium" or even "extra large" so how about some choices for the rest of us?