C4: Suggestions for GEN CON & LUCASFILM

Reaction score
C4: Suggestions for GEN CON & LUCASFILM

Having attended C2 & C3 for the entire convention, I'd like to see the "Free" book give away and the "Vintage Collection" that was at C2.

C3 had George Lucas and it would be nice for him to "pop" in again for the fans that missed him.

Stay Safe
JT

Reaction score
Re: C4: Suggestions for GEN CON or other powers to

I think we need a lifesize Saga card with bubble so people can take pics in it again (like at C2) but this time, put a hook or something on it so you can hang accessories (if you costume you could hang your blaster or saber from it, or if not, you can be "Star Wars Fan w/ Action Shopping Bags").

The C3 autograph lines and Pre-pay option were awesome.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Bring back SW in 30 minutes and the one man star wars shows.

Also, please make it easier to find the Fan Force/group tables.

If you're playing all 6 movies, maybe make it so that they play twice a day, so that people can go see one whenever they have time for it - also play the clone wars cartoons inbetween 2 and 3...its necessary!

I would like to see, weeks in advance, an itinerary of what is going on when, as well as a list of any exclusives that I may want to purchase at the con (since I'm coming from Ohio, space is limited in my luggage).

Reaction score
Re: C4: Suggestions for GEN CON or other powers to be.

Jedi_Turok said:
Having attended C2 & C3 for the entire convention, I'd like to see <snip> the "Vintage Collection" that was at C2.
I can't see that happening again. That "vintage collection" was the actual collection of forum member ToddD known as "starwarsmuseum". Todd and Cloudcity had to pack up his entire collection and pack a truck with it. He lives in Florida so it was a pretty big journey to Indy. A journey to LA is a ridiculous trek with a truck full of toys, especially with some being so rare and valuable being jostled around. It was a great thing to see, especially for him since that was the first time he ever unpacked and displayed it all, but I think if you missed it you missed it. Maybe if C5 is in Florida.

*EDIT* For what it's worth it was not just a vintage collection. Todd has a US Kenner/Hasbro collection consisting of every toy, and variation, ever made. (At least at that time)

John

Reaction score

Let's hope Gen Con can simply get the fan admission kinks worked out first for C4 before we ask them to do anything else.

Reaction score

JohnA said:
I can't see that happening again. That "vintage collection" was the actual collection of forum member ToddD known as "starwarsmuseum". Todd and Cloudcity had to pack up his entire collection and pack a truck with it. He lives in Florida so it was a pretty big journey to Indy. A journey to LA is a ridiculous trek with a truck full of toys, especially with some being so rare and valuable being jostled around. It was a great thing to see, especially for him since that was the first time he ever unpacked and displayed it all, but I think if you missed it you missed it. Maybe if C5 is in Florida.

*EDIT* For what it's worth it was not just a vintage collection. Todd has a US Kenner/Hasbro collection consisting of every toy, and variation, ever made. (At least at that time)
John
Well they can always ask steve sansweet

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

skywalker_1982 said:
Well they can always ask steve sansweet
That would take years to pack, transport and set up.

Reaction score

I would like to see the line to get into the building move faster. I have not idea how to do that but the line at C2 and C3 took forever to get from opening time to the end of the line entering.

The store being open 24/7 sounds good, the lines for that were insane and I never went last time.

The autograph room worked perfectly, I hope they get some names that have not done the last two.

Reaction score

JohnA said:
Jedi_Turok said:
Having attended C2 & C3 for the entire convention, I'd like to see <snip> the "Vintage Collection" that was at C2.

John
Gotcha.

I know Todd's collection was an unbelievable site to behold. All in one place.

Well, maybe Sansweet or a collector (who lives closer) to the C4 event could display some of their collection. Something along the lines to tie in with 30 of Star Wars.

Just a thought.

Stay Safe
JT

Reaction score

Regardless of who (if any) prominent collector displays their SW collection at C4, I'll be there with my Canon Rebel EOS XT Digital SLR camera and 4GB CompactFlash card to take a load of pics!

Reaction score

I went to Celebration III last year. I got in the "special" Star Wars Fan Club members only line to get into the building a half-hour before the doors opened. It took more than TWO HOURS for everyone in line ahead of me to go through the TWO entrance doors they had for the THOUSANDS of people in that line.

There was a similarly humongous line for the non fan club members.

By the time I got in they had closed the line to the store because there were already too many people in line. Same thing happened the next day. You had to essentially plan to get there early enough to be near the front of the line to get into the building, and then spend the rest of that day in line to get into the store.

Finally on the third day I was able to get into the store line (and only after ignoring a GenCon employee who said it was pointless getting in line because it was unlikely we were going to actually get into the store). Then it took SEVEN HOURS of standing (and sitting) in line to buy stuff from the official store. They had maybe 10 counter people serving thousands of people. As we were waiting there HOUR AFTER HOUR they announced the latest items they had just sold out of. By the time I got a chance to buy anything they were sold out of half of the items.

The whole thing was poorly planned and woefully understaffed and understocked.

The same gang will be running Celebration IV. You have been warned.

Suggestions? MORE ENTRANCE DOORS!!! Don't try to move thousands of people through TWO DOORS (with another two doors for the non fan club members).

BRING ENOUGH STUFF TO SELL!!! and HIRE ENOUGH STAFF TO SELL IT!!!. Don't make people wait SEVEN HOURS to buy the few things you didn't run out of. They missed out on THOUSANDS of $$$$$$$$ in sales because they didn't bring enough merchandise. There were people willing to wait SEVEN HOURS standing in line to buy their stuff, AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH STUFF TO SELL!

This isn't rocket science.

Reaction score

See we did the long wait to get in on thurs, but by saturday we just went right in through the smokers door...we literally got there, and as everyone was just starting to enter, we walked right in.

Reaction score

With the C4 Store expected to be open 24 hours, the item stock inventory should not be an issue (hopefully). The first thing I did at C3 was hit up the store and buy all of the items that we wanted. That way I knew I would get what was on my list for my wife and I. That will be our plan of action again for C4: hit up the store first & foremost and then not have to worry about it for the remainder of the Convention.

Reaction score

My suggestions:

1) There need to be separate lines for people who have already registered and those who still need to register and/or purchase their tickets. And I mean outside the building, not inside. I couldn't get there in time to pick up my badge on Wednesday night last year, but the people who did should not have had to wait in the same line as me.

2) Have KNOWLEDGABLE volunteers policing the lines CONTINUOUSLY throughout the morning to answer people's questions and to direct them to the correct line if they are in the wrong one.

3) Make Fan Club Thursday for FAN CLUB MEMBERS ONLY. None of this, "Each FC member can bring in 4 non-FC members." I know that penalizes families, but if I'm paying an extra $40 for the priveledge of getting in that day, I'm entitled to expect it to be at least a little less crowded than the other days.

4) Take preorders for high-demand, exclusive store merchandise so people know if they wait until Sunday or Monday to visit the store, they don't have to worry about not getting what they really want. That way, you won't have 10,000 people in line for the store 20 minutes after the doors open.

The autograph ticket preorder system OP used last year was FANTASTIC. I don't know if there is any way OP can improve upon the terrific way they ran the autograph area last year, but it was certainly one of the highlights of C3 for me, and one of the least stressful areas to deal with.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Reaction score

mousedroid said:
My suggestions:

1) There need to be separate lines for people who have already registered and those who still need to register and/or purchase their tickets. And I mean outside the building, not inside. I couldn't get there in time to pick up my badge on Wednesday night last year, but the people who did should not have had to wait in the same line as me.

2) Have KNOWLEDGABLE volunteers policing the lines CONTINUOUSLY throughout the morning to answer people's questions and to direct them to the correct line if they are in the wrong one.

3) Make Fan Club Thursday for FAN CLUB MEMBERS ONLY. None of this, "Each FC member can bring in 4 non-FC members." I know that penalizes families, but if I'm paying an extra $40 for the priveledge of getting in that day, I'm entitled to expect it to be at least a little less crowded than the other days.

4) Take preorders for high-demand, exclusive store merchandise so people know if they wait until Sunday or Monday to visit the store, they don't have to worry about not getting what they really want. That way, you won't have 10,000 people in line for the store 20 minutes after the doors open.

The autograph ticket preorder system OP used last year was FANTASTIC. I don't know if there is any way OP can improve upon the terrific way they ran the autograph area last year, but it was certainly one of the highlights of C3 for me, and one of the least stressful areas to deal with.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
All excellent suggestions Mouse, especially #4. That was one of the first things that came to mind when I was ordering my 4-day badges for C3. Why not let those people who will be attending for all 4 days in Indy pre-order stuff from the store right online? More ordering online = less time standing in line at the store. I figured that would be an added "perk" for buying a 4-day admission badge.

Hopefully some of everyone's suggestions here on this Forum reach the ears of GenCon and LFL before C4 arrives. What better way to improve a Star Wars convention than to listen to the concerns of all the FANS?

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Jedi_Justin said:
All excellent suggestions Mouse, especially #4. That was one of the first things that came to mind when I was ordering my 4-day badges for C3. Why not let those people who will be attending for all 4 days in Indy pre-order stuff from the store right online? More ordering online = less time standing in line at the store. I figured that would be an added "perk" for buying a 4-day admission badge.

Hopefully some of everyone's suggestions here on this Forum reach the ears of GenCon and LFL before C4 arrives. What better way to improve a Star Wars convention than to listen to the concerns of all the FANS?
I like the idea of four or in this case five day pass owners getting access to an online store of sorts. that'd be cool.

or how about this-

at least send the exclusive figure to everyone who orders a five day pass in advnace, then they at least have the one item 90% of fans will want!

I've alerted Lucasfilm to this thread, hopefully they will be taking this input from real fans who have valid concerns, and using it in their planning stages for what I'm sure is going to be the best Celebration to date!

Reaction score

Dustin said:
Jedi_Justin said:

I like the idea of four or in this case five day pass owners getting access to an online store of sorts. that'd be cool.

or how about this-

at least send the exclusive figure to everyone who orders a five day pass in advnace, then they at least have the one item 90% of fans will want!

I've alerted Lucasfilm to this thread, hopefully they will be taking this input from real fans who have valid concerns, and using it in their planning stages for what I'm sure is going to be the best Celebration to date!
Cool, hopefully LFL gives these ideas some serious thought for C4 (and beyond). I agree - C4 is gonna be AMAZING.

Reaction score

I have a huge request to GenCon, I completly understand that almost 100% of all attendees from the regular paying fan, the dealers, the autographers, and the volunteers are all star wars fans. We all want a small piece of the event. I was so upset to see some of the things going on like people with "PRESS" laminates jumping lines all over the place-snap a picture-then grab up on any goodies. However, the worse ones I seen taking advantage of this was BRIANS TOYS!
Everyone attending only wanted a chance at a gentle giant bust, or master replica saber, etc. But when I was the 3rd person in line outside the venders hall and at 9am was let in to only be behind the dozens of BRIANS TOYS workers literally buying up dozens and dozens of certain key collectors items everyday was furiating to witness.
I walked by Brains booth and heard him tell an employee of his "Nice, this one makes number 35" as the worker handed him a sandtrooper mini bust. I was there all 4 days and didnt get my alloted "1" bust till sunday.
The promoters need to work out something with this. If you are a vender in a hall then you shouldnt be allowed to take advantage of it and be a glutten hog with these items. I think it would be fair to offer the venders a chance to purchase their aloted 1 or 2 PER BOOTH- not worker.
If their workers want to buy something in that hall, then they have to go outside the hall till opennig time and wait in line with the rest of the paying fans who deserve an EQUAL chance.

Reaction score

Dustin said:
Jedi_Justin said:

or how about this-

Thanks Dustin.

Good suggestions everyone...keep them coming!

Reaction score

Hi all,

The HIRE ENOUGH STAFF is the best comment and suggestion of them all. Period. Don;t be cheap, try to make more by paying less people. Cheapness will not get happy shoppers!

I would add have more than 10 lines, how about 50 lines, with 2 people at each register, one to pickup stuff and one to ring up. Also too many cooks in one place (register) spoil the broth (so 2 or 3), but have an ungodly amount of register tables, like 50 to 100! Also, follow Sideshow's model for pre-ordering and give a detailed itinerary before the event.

Enough said! Now pass this on to GenCon and LucasFilm, and
whoever will be in charge of the fanclub then.

Also, allow for dry places to wait in lines for events or purchases. Don;t force people into lines outside, use the
space wisely inside. Don't make people jump through hoops or stand in lines to avoid stampedes or problems; that psychology does NOT work. Crowd control by those means allows for an unsafe buildup of people in lines in case of
emergency or fire, and personally dehumanizes people.

Thank you,

Bruce
JustOneMore said:
I went to Celebration III last year. I got in the "special" Star Wars Fan Club members only line to get into the building a half-hour before the doors opened. It took more than TWO HOURS for everyone in line ahead of me to go through the TWO entrance doors they had for the THOUSANDS of people in that line.

There was a similarly humongous line for the non fan club members.

By the time I got in they had closed the line to the store because there were already too many people in line. Same thing happened the next day. You had to essentially plan to get there early enough to be near the front of the line to get into the building, and then spend the rest of that day in line to get into the store.

Finally on the third day I was able to get into the store line (and only after ignoring a GenCon employee who said it was pointless getting in line because it was unlikely we were going to actually get into the store). Then it took SEVEN HOURS of standing (and sitting) in line to buy stuff from the official store. They had maybe 10 counter people serving thousands of people. As we were waiting there HOUR AFTER HOUR they announced the latest items they had just sold out of. By the time I got a chance to buy anything they were sold out of half of the items.

The whole thing was poorly planned and woefully understaffed and understocked.

The same gang will be running Celebration IV. You have been warned.

Suggestions? MORE ENTRANCE DOORS!!! Don't try to move thousands of people through TWO DOORS (with another two doors for the non fan club members).

BRING ENOUGH STUFF TO SELL!!! and HIRE ENOUGH STAFF TO SELL IT!!!. Don't make people wait SEVEN HOURS to buy the few things you didn't run out of. They missed out on THOUSANDS of $$$$$$$$ in sales because they didn't bring enough merchandise. There were people willing to wait SEVEN HOURS standing in line to buy their stuff, AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH STUFF TO SELL!

This isn't rocket science.

Reaction score

How about if GENCON sells a slightly smaller amount of tickets and charges a little more? That way they will still make their money, and we won't have to be packed in like sardines like at C3. I mean, it would be nice to fit the whole world into a confined space but it's just not possible. At some point you have to draw the line.

Tommy_Garvey

Reaction score

The dealer room closed too early at C3 IMO, I'd like to see it opened later into the night. I didn't get to spend as much time in it as I would have liked because I was too busy attending the collector presentations.

That being said though, I'd also really like to see the collector presentations continue at C4. I find them fascinating.

Tommy

Reaction score

Geester said:
How about if GENCON sells a slightly smaller amount of tickets and charges a little more? That way they will still make their money, and we won't have to be packed in like sardines like at C3. I mean, it would be nice to fit the whole world into a confined space but it's just not possible. At some point you have to draw the line.
Geester - this actually is a very good suggestion. You remember how crowded Exhibit Hall D was at C3. We were rubbing elbows with people as we walked from table to table. And taking pics of vendor tables / displays was very difficult at times with all the traffic walking about.

Now I hate to deny a fan the ability to attend C4 based on a high admission price. But you are right - when does GenCon and LFL simply say enough is enough?

Reaction score

I think GenCon is working on making improvements this time. One big detractor will be the change of venue. Just when they had the Indy layout figured out, they'll have to start over. I've never been to LACC before, but GenCon and the SW folks know what to expect people-wise.

I believe one major improvement is having the store open 24 hours a day and having it be self-serve. At least as far as getting the merchandise I guess. It's plainly evident by now that some people's main purpose in going to these is to buy the official merchandise. I've seen it at all 3 Celebrations so far. Day-long lines, cold weather, and/or rain are no deterrents. The store should be big, have plenty of registers and have people constantly working to restock it. I think GenCon can plan the merchandise accordingly as well given the prior experience.

I think the idea of being able to preorder exclusive figures is fantastic. That would cut down on so much clutter people-wise. I'd even say that you could reduce lines by 25% if you let people order figures ahead of time with their passes. Now, getting the figures to the people in that time is another thing. I know it's another logistical exercise to ship out all of that product, but it's doable.
I wish people didn't spend their time at the convention waiting in a store line. The figures are always available later on, and unless you're trying to have them up for sale on ebay during the convention, it makes more sense to wait. You can get a C3 Vader now for about what it cost in the C3 store originally.

The suggestion of having different lines for badge holders is great. This usually applies more to the Saturday/Sunday crowd which seems to be more random locals showing up. Not sure how the door situation of the LACC is, but if they can handle 60k people for E3 then this shouldn't be a huge issue. However, there are inherent differences with a Celebration that you have to deal with that other things like E3 don't. You have people at E3 lining up at 3 AM to get in, poeple are trying to get in to do different things, not just browse a big hall, and there isn't the scare of rationed merchandise at risk. It's not really an apples to apples comparision.

Other suggestions would be to have more space and more frequent occurrences of popular attractions. I think 3 Celebrations worth of experience with that should allow them to know what most convention-goers are after.

Keeping the dealer room open later is a great idea. It makes the dealers have to go eat dinner later, but at least it gives people time to browse. Having the dealer room open 1-2 hours after the other events have shut down gives people time to shop around and not worry that they're missing out on something else. Let's face it, most of what the dealers have can be purchased online so why would people want to miss out on convention activities when they could just hit ebay afterwards? Impulse-buying notwistanding, of course.

Having clear instructions for volunteers (so that each one actually knows what's what) is important. There's no shortage of volunteers, so making use of free labor should be a given. Have volunteers routinely walk up and down lines announcing what's happening for that line, or what will happen. People standing for hours and only hearing scant info doesn't help. If something is filled up, or sold out, or takes 20 minutes for 8 people to participate in, then let the rest of the line know - often.

If your voluteers had walkie talkes, then it's even better. At least they could ask someone in the know or they'd hear other conversations which would automatically keep them up to date and now to move things along or assist people.

On a related note, having general (PA system) announcements would be a great idea. Then everyone knows what's happening. Many Celebrations had problems because people were getting different instructions from different people and they didn't know what was what. People at the end of an 8-hour line really feel clueless when they don't hear any info or when they're wondering if they are in the correct line or if that line will dissolve before they get in the door.

If something looks like it will be sold out or filled up before the end of the line can participate then a volunteer should routinely be at the cut-off spot warning others not to line up. Or have something printed up that you give to the people at the end of the line that says "LINE FULL" or something to that effect so others will realize that it's done. The people at the back of the line would be in charge of spreading the word. I think they'd be willing to do it.

Spreading this event out over 5 days is a grand idea, but if some events/presentation only happen once or twice then you'll still have lines to contend with. It's unavoidable, really. Then it just comes down to how to manage those folks. I've see the speed-pass system suggested. Same thing used in theme parks. You would have a line to get speed passes, of course, but you wouldn't have a glut of people sprawled out down a hallway for 6 hours.

Keeping everyone flowing around should be the ultimate goal. Measures developed to do such a thing should be deployed. I know there are experts out there because crowd-control isn't a new phenomenon. Then again, it is LA and I think the freeway system has made them accustomed to lines.

-chris

Reaction score

I do believe brians toys need their butts kicked this time round I was shocked seeing what went down at their booth during C3 which was posted above.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Geester said:
I've actually heard this suggested earlier in the year and agree.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Tommy_Garvey said:
I'd also really like to see the collector presentations continue at C4. I find them fascinating.

Tommy
I'm sure the Gus Lopez Posse has already been contacted for more presentation goodness ;-)

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Jedi_Justin said:
Geester said:
Geester - this actually is a very good suggestion. You remember how crowded Exhibit Hall D was at C3. We were rubbing elbows with people as we walked from table to table. And taking pics of vendor tables / displays was very difficult at times with all the traffic walking about.

Now I hate to deny a fan the ability to attend C4 based on a high admission price. But you are right - when does GenCon and LFL simply say enough is enough?
Ya know whats funny too is that they widened the isle ways for C-3 more than they were for C-2. C-2 was way more crowded IMO.

Reaction score

Dustin said:
Jedi_Justin said:
Geester said:

Ya know whats funny too is that they widened the isle ways for C-3 more than they were for C-2. C-2 was way more crowded IMO.
Widened the aisles? For who, Kenny Baker amd his wife?

But seriously, you remember how it was. Chaotic to say the least in Exhibit Hall D.

Reaction score

If possible, set up a dedicated room with a couple thousand seats, a full size movie screen, excellent sound system and digital movie projector and show all six films around the clock for all five days. That way no one will ever have to wait in line to see a special one-time-only screening.

I wonder how many people would actually go watch the movies, even if they were being shown in a state of the art theater, if there wasn't a special "limited showing" aspect to them. Very few, I'll bet.

Reaction score

The Lucas prop room needs to be bigger or have a better way to shuttle people in and out. The line/wait for this was crazy at C3 and once I got inside I found out many people would stay in there for an hour and take pics.

I actually heard several attendants tell some folks repeatedly to leave because they had been in there for an hour.

Reaction score

One thing that really bothered me at C3 was the lack of event/show postings outside each ballroom entrance or exhibit room. I would have liked to have seen a large sign outside each entrance stating the event/show being held inside as well as the times it is being held. Too many times I was forced to read that skimpy white itenirary pamphlet that was handed out to see what event/show I wanted to see next.

For C4, I hope there is more prominent signage at each room entrance detailing what's being held inside.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Jedi_Justin said:
One thing that really bothered me at C3 was the lack of event/show postings outside each ballroom entrance or exhibit room. I would have liked to have seen a large sign outside each entrance stating the event/show being held inside as well as the times it is being held. Too many times I was forced to read that skimpy white itenirary pamphlet that was handed out to see what event/show I wanted to see next.

For C4, I hope there is more prominent signage at each room entrance detailing what's being held inside.
An electronic reader board would be cool, kinda like at most movie theatres nowadays . . .

Reaction score

Dustin said:
Jedi_Justin said:

An electronic reader board would be cool, kinda like at most movie theatres nowadays . . .
That would be cool. But I'd just settle for a large sign mounted on a easel or something outside each entrance. Maybe have an all-inclusive posting located at the main entrance to the LACC, detailing that particular day's events/shows and their corresponding times/rooms.

In any event, something is sure better than nothing when compared to C3.

Reaction score

Dustin said:
Jedi_Justin said:
Geester said:

I wasn't at C2, but I can't imagine a convention more crowded than C3. C2 must have been a nightmare!!!

Reaction score

Well, with a larger venue (the LACC) this time around for C4, hopefully LFL and GenCon can improve upon their mishaps during C3 last year.

Reaction score

My big complaint from C3 was the party. It was expensive to attend but there wasn't anything to do except buy overpriced drinks! The idea of a party is good but it really needs to be fleshed out.

Reaction score

darthvader1usa said:
My big complaint from C3 was the party. It was expensive to attend but there wasn't anything to do except buy overpriced drinks! The idea of a party is good but it really needs to be fleshed out.
The party at C3 was a hot topic if disappointment for many fans in attendance. Hoefully the party at C4 (if there is one) is vastly overhauled & improved upon.

Reaction score

Sounds like they need to take note of the party that 989 Sports throws each year at teh Super Bowl. The attendees basically stand at a rope line (or counter here in Atlanta) and as the celebs entered the party it was like a private red carpet event. You got to take pics and get autos. And inside the party you could approach the players and they had cool events inside too.

Wouldnt it be cool to play SW Battlefront 2 with say Amy Allen playing as Ayla, or Morrison controlling Jango?

Reaction score

darthfloyd said:
The C3 autograph lines and Pre-pay option were awesome.
That is a must. I was severely dissapointed at the way Disney ran the autographs at SWW. Due to EMH at Disney I didnt get a Fast Pass for any of the 4 celebs signing. By time I got in line at 9:05 I was told it was already done.