C3 Vader Packaging Variation?

Art

Reaction score
Searched around and I couldn't find any post about this, so here goes...

C3 Vader

The auction describes a sticker variation where some Vaders have a flame sticker that has been cut following the outline of the flames, while the other, presumably more common Vader, has a straight cut around the flames.

I bought my Vaders on Thursday afternoon around 5:30ish, and they all have the outline cut.

Someone must be interested in this if the current bid is at $152.

Does anyone have any info on this? True packaging varation?

Cheers!
Art

Reaction score
All four of my Vader C3 figures look just like that. All 8 of my friends C3 Vader figures are also the same.

Reaction score
Well I'll be. Never noticed that before.
Saw this post and just checked my Vaders. I've got both kinds. Would up a pic but my antique OS can't handle the s/w for my digicam yet.
Not that I'm big into packaging variants but any idea on how far into the run they stopped doing the outline and started doing the easier rounded cut?

Reaction score
both of mine are "flame cut". presumably all of the ones i handed out were "flame cut" also. i doubt these are truly rare.

Reaction score
I assume you all know about the variation in the C3 Star Case as well. Some have an opening in front for the button. Some don't. I unfortunately got one without. So, if I want to hear the phrases, I have to open the case.

Art

Reaction score
Over $200? Yowsers!

If this is a fellow Scummer, is s/he reputable?

At $200 a pop, I can be persuaded to sell mine.

Peace-
Art

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of this straight cut flame or Star Case hole variations??
Anyone with a Star Case that has the hole want to trade for a Star Case that doesn't have the hole??

Reaction score
I would also love to see pictures of 'stright cut' variation, and starcase with a hole.

Reaction score
I have pics of 2 different sticker variants

The first one is the flame cut one and if you notice the holes in the flames is also follows the fire pattern. This one is just like the one in the auction. The datestamp reads: 50731
Pic: http://www.hadmilk.com/vader1.jpg

Then this one is even stranger. It does not have the flame cut just the straight cut however the holes in-between the flames are a lot smaller and just circles (unlike the one pictured in the 2nd auction where that one the sticker holes were more oval). Datestamp is: 50591
Pic: http://www.hadmilk.com/vader2.jpg

The datestamps show that flame cut one is newer then the flame straight.

Reaction score
Also just wanted to add that all the ones I have seen from my friends figures are flame cut.

The other one I took a pic of the straight one is the only one I have seen.

Reaction score
I just checked the flame stickers on my Celebration III Vader's to see what type of cuts it might be. I ended up with both types of stickers.

Reaction score
I just checked the flame stickers on my Celebration III Vader's to see what type of cuts it might be. I ended up with both types of stickers.

Reaction score
yeah its the same losers who wanted the .00 cards from episode I...who cares...its the figure you want...if you want it in package fine...but who cares how the flames are printed...or how about the blue or purple vader heads on the ROS cards coming out now...its juts plain stupid...

Reaction score
I don't buy into these packaging variations myself, and it does just seem like a way for scalpers to make a quick extra buck, but it all started because of the vintage figures: 12-backs, 31-backs, whatever they all are. Those are basically all the same figures so why is it legitmate to pay many times more for a 12-back figure than one of the others? For that matter, why has it become generally accepted that a freeze-frame Wee-Quay is worth $300+?

Reaction score
IN vintage it is quite a bit different. First, the *biggest* indicator of value happens to be the card front and the movie logo it's on, which just happens to be different card back too. That's why a 21-back stormtrooper goes for so much more than a 79-back. It's not the back, it's that ones' on a Star Wars card and the other is on a ROTJ card. That's more akin to POTF, POTJ, VOTC, etc - than it is to .00, .01, .02.

Secondly, there are a couple variations that are a little more expensive just because of the backs, but this is the exception, not the rule. 12-backs are worth more than the other SW headers simply because they were the first. 31-backs are also a little bit more pricey just because they were the first ESB release - and a few figures on 31-backs have completely different photos on the front.

There are also a few card backs that are shunned because the printed offer on the *front* of the card messes up the asthetics. Again, this has nothing to do with variation collecting, and everything to do with asthetics.

In general though, vintage collectors aren't *nearly* as anal about little variations as some of the modern collectors. Sure, there are some vintage variation hunters, but not enough to really drive up prices on little differences.

I think you're comparision of this vader to vintage variation collecting is completely off base. All this certainly didn't start with vintage. If you look back at the history, vintage variation collecting really *followed* the POTF2 trend. IMO where it all started was short saber/long saber.

CJ

Reaction score
I cannot BELIEVE that some goofball paid that much money because a crafty Ebay seller called this a "Variation".

I've never scalped a figure on Ebay before, but if idiots are willing to pay 200 bucks for this stupid "variation", I am SO tempted to sell one of my C3 Vaders. I apparently have both of the "variations".

I can't bring myself to do it, but I'd really like to.

Reaction score
JoshEEE said:
I cannot BELIEVE that some goofball paid that much money because a crafty Ebay seller called this a "Variation".

I've never scalped a figure on Ebay before, but if idiots are willing to pay 200 bucks for this stupid "variation", I am SO tempted to sell one of my C3 Vaders. I apparently have both of the "variations".

i've been tempted by the dark side as well, but i won't do it. thing is, i have 1 extra that i can't even trade away. sheeesh.

Art

Reaction score
Well, I think I've been seduced by the dark side, because I'm seriously considering it. Odd thing is, though, the $150 BIN auction hasn't gone anywhere while the first one went for $202.

I'm really not accusing anyone of anything, but I suppose it's possible that the $202 auction may have been "Helped," if you know what I mean.

If the $150 goes anytime soon, then mine will most likely be up there soon after, but I'm still not convinced the "flame cut" is as rare or as special or as in demand as speculated.

Cheers!
Art

Reaction score
Art said:
Well, I think I've been seduced by the dark side, because I'm seriously considering it. Odd thing is, though, the $150 BIN auction hasn't gone anywhere while the first one went for $202.

I'm really not accusing anyone of anything, but I suppose it's possible that the $202 auction may have been "Helped," if you know what I mean.

If the $150 goes anytime soon, then mine will most likely be up there soon after, but I'm still not convinced the "flame cut" is as rare or as special or as in demand as speculated.

Cheers!
Art
or, people are wising up to the fact that it is a very common variation.

Reaction score
I go the flame cut and I suspect so did a lot of others. Not worth that kind of premium for a sticker.

Reaction score
Art said:
That's a common occurance on eBay and why I never put BIN prices, or high opening bids on any of my auctions. I'm totally convinced that bidding will go much higher on an item that has no BIN and a $1 opening bid than a $100 opening bid or a BIN of $100. People like to think they're getting a bargain, and then when they are emotionally invested in the auction, they keep bidding "a little higher" because they don't want to lose.

I'll be auctioning a page of original Adam Hughes cover art later this week, and while I'm hoping to get over $500 for it, I'll start the bidding at $1 to get more people interested. Yeah, I know it's a little different since what I'm auctioning might actually be worth a few hundred dollars.

Reaction score
cfawcett said:
IN vintage it is quite a bit different. First, the *biggest* indicator of value happens to be the card front and the movie logo it's on, which just happens to be different card back too. That's why a 21-back stormtrooper goes for so much more than a 79-back. It's not the back, it's that ones' on a Star Wars card and the other is on a ROTJ card. That's more akin to POTF, POTJ, VOTC, etc - than it is to .00, .01, .02.

Secondly, there are a couple variations that are a little more expensive just because of the backs, but this is the exception, not the rule. 12-backs are worth more than the other SW headers simply because they were the first. 31-backs are also a little bit more pricey just because they were the first ESB release - and a few figures on 31-backs have completely different photos on the front.

There are also a few card backs that are shunned because the printed offer on the *front* of the card messes up the asthetics. Again, this has nothing to do with variation collecting, and everything to do with asthetics.

In general though, vintage collectors aren't *nearly* as anal about little variations as some of the modern collectors. Sure, there are some vintage variation hunters, but not enough to really drive up prices on little differences.

I think you're comparision of this vader to vintage variation collecting is completely off base. All this certainly didn't start with vintage. If you look back at the history, vintage variation collecting really *followed* the POTF2 trend. IMO where it all started was short saber/long saber.

CJ
oooooh mousedroid you done did it now!!! You've upset a vintage collector!!!!! How DARE you compare a 12back vs. a 21back to something as stupid as variations!!!!! Oh snap it's on now!

Reaction score
Crazy what a person will pay big bucks for. It was nothing but a simple production change. It is much more cost effective to cut the flames with a curve cut than to contour each individual flame---we do decals where I work and that all plays a factor in determining a cut line around an image. Certainly not worth the $200, IMHO.

Reaction score
Norga_Rotem said:
oooooh mousedroid you done did it now!!! You've upset a vintage collector!!!!! How DARE you compare a 12back vs. a 21back to something as stupid as variations!!!!! Oh snap it's on now!
Naa. I'm not upset. Just setting some misconceptions straight is all.

Cj

Reaction score
$200. That auction went for over $200. For a variation in the way the flame sticker on the side was cut? OMG people. Anyone want my clone pilot that is turned in the bubble at 4 degrees more to the right than any other clone pilots? It also has a rare bend in the lower right corner of the card. I'd be willing to sell for $50.

Reaction score
MadPerry said:
JoshEEE said:

i've been tempted by the dark side as well, but i won't do it. thing is, i have 1 extra that i can't even trade away. sheeesh.
200 dollars! No wonder the dark side is so dang tempting. Has anyone figured out how rare this "variation" really is? There have to be dates or something on these, right? Maybe if we start posting numbers to out figs (if you got one) we can at least figure appx. where the change occured.

sidebar- Madperry, do you have a trade list right now? I'd be interested in that vader if you see anything of mine you'd want. My list

Reaction score
HumanJedi said:
I assume you all know about the variation in the C3 Star Case as well. Some have an opening in front for the button. Some don't. I unfortunately got one without. So, if I want to hear the phrases, I have to open the case.

I wish I'd gotten the kind with the cutout. I was just posting in another thread about an embarassing moment when C3 Vader appeared on a radio program with me, and I couldn't get him to speak on cue. LOL

Alex