C III location? (without the flames)

Reaction score
I may have missed it amid the barrage of flames, but has there been an anouncement regarding the location of Celebration III?

If we are still speculating, are there any online posts that give clues?

Reaction score
While there have been no "official" statements on behalf of WOTC; all signs point to a return to Indy.

G

I vote the Baltimore Convention Center. Huge, gorgeous.....and oh yeah, in my state

Reaction score
why do people dress up like characters in the movie. i dont get that

Reaction score
Paploo! LOL

Is yours a dry wit, or shall we explain the merits of role play?

Reaction score
How about Seattle? Just an hour ferry ride for me. Oh wait, too many scalpers in the Emerald City. Nevermind.

G

If you ask me Dallas would be an ideal spot. Its a great city and similar to indianapolis it is pretty central for most people. Or at least thats what I wish.

Reaction score
I'm with you Ackbar, if it were in Dallas, I wouldn't need $200 for airfare and $200 for hotel. I'd have more money to spend. We have a much better airport than Indianapolis, lower priced hotel accomodations, and more to do outside the convention center.

G

I hope it's in Indy again, I really liked it there, and plan on making it a longer vacation this time...plus it's within driving distance of over 2/3s the continental US, which is a major plus, and isn't WOTC making Indy their new headquarters ?

Reaction score
Originally posted by grandmoffschizz:
I hope it's in Indy again, I really liked it there, and plan on making it a longer vacation this time...plus it's within driving distance of over 2/3s the continental US, which is a major plus, and isn't WOTC making Indy their new headquarters ?
<font size="2" face="arial">I agree, while I am bias, Indy is the only city in the US that is this close to so much of the population. Indy's a great place to visit and live!

WOTC won't be making their headquarters in Indy. Unless they just dont want the prying public to know about it. I emailed them asking, and they were very adamant about staying in Washington. I had a friend from the Indy Star call and ask, same answer. Who knows, its always possible! When companies make big moves like that, they usually like to keep it from their stockholders as long as possible......

And while I agree Dallas is a fantastic city, it is quite a lot farther from the big cities of Chicago and New York, and the entire eastern seaboard as compared to Indy. You can call me bias, but if they announced tomorrow they would be holding the con in Dallas, I'd have no doubts about going!

[ 06-15-2002, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: BigDumbWookiee ]

Reaction score
Personally I think it should be Kansas City. That is a NICE CENTRAL location for everyone. It would be held iduno somewhere and its NICE AND CENTRAL.

Reaction score
I don’t know if WOTC is moving its headquarters. I’ve heard a lot about them moving GenCon to Indy though. Word is that 2002 will be the final year for the Milwaukee, Wisconsin GenCon. Starting in 2003, it will be in Indianapolis (at the Convention Center). My sources are mostly conversations with other fans and comic shop aficionados in Indianapolis. Take it however you like…

I did find an article about the sale of GenCon. I think it makes sense that a move could accompany a sale.

The closest thing I found about GenCon is an article called :
Wizards Of The Coast Agrees To Sell GenCon Game Fair To Roleplaying Games Industry Pioneer Peter Adkison

Here’s the link:
http://www.wizards.com/News/pressrelease.asp?20020321a

Still waiting on news about Celebration III.

Reaction score
If WOTC came out tomorrow and said that they would be making their desicion souley and 100% on geography alone, I'd almost guarantee it would return to Indianapolis. It is THE only city that is within a days drive of 2/3 of the population of the US, and while other cities have fantastic facilities, etc, based on geography alone the natural choice would be Indy. But since they don't base it only on that, it could be anywhere, and we can only guess for the next few years!

Redphive are you from Indy? Thats some cool infor about GenCon. Anything about other WOTC conventions coming to Indy?

G

Atlanta.
Not only is it a nice city it's close to me!Another one in Indy would be nice but I have heard rumors on Tampa.But,I don't think it will be.

G

<font size="2" face="arial">Well the buzz from friends around and ones that get inside information, they are thinking of coming back to Indy. Because of the driving distance for most of the Continental US and it was a better place than where Celebration 1 was held. The only thing different I heard was needing a bigger space for everything...

Reaction score
Well the buzz from friends around and ones that get inside information, they are thinking of coming back to Indy. Because of the driving distance for most of the Continental US and it was a better place than where Celebration 1 was held. The only thing different I heard was needing a bigger space for everything...
<font size="2" face="arial">I heard Wizards just signed some 8 year contract to do GenCon in Indianapolis. That may influence SW Celebration, but either way the fact that so many people are within driving distance will probably mean Indy again.

As far as space goes, they didn't have the whole convention center rented out. Seems like there's plenty of room in that one building.

-chris

Reaction score
The main exhibit hall (where the autographs, dealers, and "museum" were located) is actually bigger than what was open for CII. I've heard some say that we only saw 1/4 of the total exhibit hall sapce. There were other rooms that were not open for CII as well. I don't think space would be a problem, but if CIII is as much bigger than CII as CII was bigger than CI, who knows? (hope that makes sense)

Yes, BigDumbWookiee, I am from Indy. I would love to see the return to Indy, but will travel to another city if necessary. I probably wouldn't have gone to CII if it weren't in Indy, but now I am inspired to travel for CIII if it's not in Indianapolis.

[ 06-19-2002, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Redphive5 ]

Reaction score
I really don't care where they have it as long as there are mountains. Indy drove me bonkers! I didn't even know which way was up. I had to go buy a damn compass. I guess I'm just used to living in the shadow of the rockies, huh?

-Ty-

Reaction score
Originally posted by vadersfist:
Take a look here: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6821361&replies=70
<font size="2" face="arial">Please note, while my tone my sound a bit flamish, I mean everything in a sincere way, and Im not out to get anyone, or flame anyone.

Broken record time for me:

I have a hard time understanding peoples arguments that Indy is a bad location to hold C3, based on geography alone (not taking into hand other possible circumstances).

Now I understand, that regardless of where it is, people are going to complain. Unless they hold Celebration III in the backyards of every star wars fan in the world, people will complain.

Now, I wont get into the whole facilities argument, or anything else, but it just bugs me that people are complaining about Indiananapolis not being the best place to hold it, geographically speaking.

Indiana isn't called the crossroads of America for nothing! The facts are:
Indianapolis is a days drive from approximately 2/3 the population of the US.
Indianapolis has the most interstates bisecting it.
For those two reasons alone, Indianapolis is geographically a better choice than 99% of the rest of the cities in the US. Mind you, that is only geographically speaking.

Im not defending Indy because Im from there, Im defending the fact that it is indeed the most geographically accessible city in the US. If they announced tomorrow that C3 was in San Diego, I would go. Heck, if they announced it was in London, Id go! I don't care in the least bit where it is, its what they have to offer that matters to me.

And to breach the other arguments: Like it was mentioned above, the convention center has a LOT more room than was used for C2. While I cant give an exact square footage of extra space, I can say there are at least two other large exhibit halls, and many other rooms and ballrooms. Also look at the fact that, no matter how big a place is, if you dont use the space well, it still wont work. My two issues: the book giveaway and the computer section. Both of these too an enormous amount of room, and each of them could have been placed in smaller halls or ballrooms.

I guess my point boils down to one simple idea: Blame Indy all you want, but 90% of the problems arose from bad planning on WOTC's part, and not because of the convention center, or Indy itself.

Reaction score
I have to agree with BigDumbWookie . I had a great time at C2. Yes the lines were long but when you advertise a sw convention for many months before the actual convention you are going to get a lot of people.

Location was fine by me....a straight shoot up 65 and your there!

Of course I would like for C3 to be in Louisville but I think overall Indy got positive feedback from all that attented.

Hotels were right by the convention...no major walks.....thats a big plus for me....especially if you dress up.

I can't speak about the airport for those of you who flew in ...

I like the idea of opening up the colts stadium for the opening and closing ceremonies....

Reaction score
Like all of you, I will go to C3 no matter where it is. But, I think it would probably be best if it were in San Francisco, CA. The closer it is to Skywalker Ranch, the better. Its also close to Hollywood, so many more stars would stop by.

G

Originally posted by Trewi Alcha:
Like all of you, I will go to C3 no matter where it is. But, I think it would probably be best if it were in San Francisco, CA. The closer it is to Skywalker Ranch, the better. Its also close to Hollywood, so many more stars would stop by.
<font size="2" face="arial">SF is a very difficult place to book conventions. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if the city isn't booked up for other stuff for the next 10 years already. Plus the hotel prices are outrageous. While I would love to go to SF, I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to book it there in such a short amount of time.

G

The only real reason that Indy was chosen is because it is a new convention center that was not booked in advance. Every other convention center is already booked for the next 5-10 years.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jon Peck:
The only real reason that Indy was chosen is because it is a new convention center that was not booked in advance. Every other convention center is already booked for the next 5-10 years.
<font size="2" face="arial">The Indianapolis Convention Center is not new.... They added a portion, but its definately not new. And it was chosen because of its location as well.

Reaction score
I am hoping they continue the trend of moving across the USA. Started in Colorado (west coast), then to Indy(midwestish), so I am hoping this next one will be somewhere on the East Coast.

Ed3

Reaction score
...with Celebration IV held in mid-Atlantic, 300 miles off the coast of Virginia.

I think the trend will more likely be to keep the event in the center of the country so it's equally (in)convenient for everybody. The problem has never been drawing _more_ people but properly accomodating the tens of thousands that show up now.

GNT

Reaction score
Let it be in a new location,lets say Sydney Australia

I'm sure everyone will be able to attend this time to get an exclusive ESB Hoth "RiK" Soldier figure,sold only here

Now you know how hard it is for us to get an exclusive figure

Reaction score
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter GNT:
Let it be in a new location,lets say Sydney Australia

I'm sure everyone will be able to attend this time to get an exclusive ESB Hoth "RiK" Soldier figure,sold only here

Now you know how hard it is for us to get an exclusive figure
<font size="2" face="arial">I'm there.
Always wanted to go to Australia somwtime in my life so C3 would be a good time to go.
Hopefully you guys over seas do get a chance to get any C3 exclusive figures and a chance for C2 Jorg Sacul figure (weather or not its in C2 Packaing).

I wish C3 would be closer to my home Ca. but it wouldn't be fair for those who live in New York or the east coast in general who would have to pay for airfair. One thing I think they should do is hold smaller celebration conventions around the nation. One in the east, one in the mid-east, one in the south,. and one in the west. That way you don't have thousands of people going to one single place and it would control the crowds a little bit more.
The only problem would be that you would have this big convention that beings everyone who likes Star Wars together in one place.

Reaction score
Actually I want C2 to be kind of far away (about a day) because I think part of the fun is the journey there.

Reaction score
Hey, I got my scuba gear, Ed3! That will work for me!

[ 07-30-2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: JediRiff ]

Reaction score
I had such a killer time at C2, that I'm definitely going to C3 as long as it's within the continental US/Canada.

I'd love for it to return to Indianapolis again, as it was a beautiful, easy to get to by car, city.

Reaction score
I really hope it is in NY... otherwise I won't be able to go.
I haven't been to SW Celebrations I or II, and I really wanna make it to C3.

Reaction score
Well, unless they do move it to Australia, I certainly won't be going (It's a nice dream though!!)
We get Magic of Myth next month
Yay!!!