Burn out or Grown up

Reaction score
I have been collecting sw since the very beginning . the 70's. I was but a child, enamored with this space opera. Like all children at the time, I couldn't get enough sw. Had everything, got everything. only one thing I never got, an at-at. flash forward to the last 5 years. I have pared down to just the tvc & 6 inch line. the constant rehash, Disney pulling strings that don't go the right way. they have led to no hype, no momentum, no excitement. I get all the enjoyment from re reading all those great novels from the heir of the empire (zahn) to the last novel when Disney re branded them legends. some of those past novels could have become movies or even a series on Disney +. there have been many times where I don't get excited about sw, were I felt like stopping, be it the figures or the new books, ( which I hate). yes, Disney expanded the franchise and to make it appeal to everyone, but at what cost...??? I will say this, the only time I had the opportunity to talk to a star of the OT, I didn't waste a minute. we talked for at least an hour, if not 1 1/2. he reminded me of my uncle.I was working and on the clock. so I got paid to talk someone I looked up to since I was 6. let me know what you guys think.

Reaction score
I'd love to know who you met?

I am an unapologetic EU fan that feels very much like you. You can keep the entirety of the ST and I'll keep the books I read. It was very disheartening when they 'threw out' the mostly accepted (albeit I realize easily decanonized) EU and I've never recovered. I found enjoyment in parts of the ST but have not read a sentence of any of the new stuff. Collecting is a chore and I go back and forth all the time about getting rid of most of it.

I would literally weep if I heard they were going to do a movie of any of those past novels or comics. Crimson Empire? New Jedi Order? Wraith Squadron? weeping.... no question about it.

I wouldn't call it burn out or grown up. I'd call it a forced hiatus?

Reaction score
a couple things to add, hopefully this thread will grow. Disney took some cannon, now legends stuff and put their twist on it, thrawn is the major one that I want to point out. Disney should have kept everything canon and sort through the areas they would want to expand upon. why take something you didn't want, then take it back and screw it up...??? this is a big hint, this person has, to me, is the top of the pyramid along with peter cullen & frank welker. which I have had a few long talks with over the past 2 years. they are great guys.

Reaction score
I don't know much far this thread will grow, as there only seems to be about 5 hardcore EU fans around these parts. I count myself as one of the biggest, and was mortified when the "Quickening" happen and left only one. Then it felt like a sicker/gut punch when they wanted to sue those character how they wanted. Which if done right okay, but based on a the path certain person in charge is on it seems like wasted opportunities and turning those once loved characters into a shell of their former selves.

I get that it's too much work for them to keep it he way it was, but there was a lot of potential there to incorporate some aspect full intact. Which would have expanded upon Canon in good way. Thrawn for example I though was handled okay in rebels, but it still seemed like he wasn't full excepted into the fold. Now he's gone into the unknown, with no mention of returning like he did in the books post ROTJ. I still feel a that Thrawn movie would be great! Though it's the same victim of the ST, they waited too long and everyone is too old. There's no real way to tell a Thrawn story without the OT cast involved somehow. Even if you recast all the secondary parts and create all new ones, I feel that without an appearance by Luke or Leia it doesn't feel the same.

Though i guess it could be set away from the galactic core and feature just Thrawn and Mara. Though I guess they could bring in Han and Lando given those recasts. IDK.

Reaction score
I was never a big EU fan, but KK's attitude of "screw you, Fanboys, you're not the sort of audience we want" is really baffling. They've left us with garbage. Take out "Rogue One" and "The Mandalorian" and Disney SW is 95% unwatchable. I still keep track of the new figures, but I haven't bought any in over 15 years, and I haven't seen any that have even tempted me in almost that long. I don't know how the rest of you still do it. I remember how we'd all complain about the number of Lukes back in the late 90s and early 00s, but at least we were getting different Lukes and a much wider variety of characters. How many slightly-different Clone Troopers does anyone need? I've been a fan since 1977 and even though we're in a position where new content is going to be churned out regularly for the indefinite future, I can't think of a time the state of the franchise ever felt as bleak.

Reaction score
Not that I want to get into another debate about the relevance or possibility of keeping the established EU, but it was really just laziness and ego that ended in our losing the EU. I truly believe that had they come up with a quality story I could have gotten on board even after the loss, but it is truly a shame what was done. It wouldn't really have been that hard to keep the established EU, but it wasn't meant to be.

Rogue One and Mandalorian give hope. Taika Waititi gives hope. Filoni and Favreau being involved gives hope. The possibility of Kevin Feige being involved gives hope. If only Hasbro would clear their craniums from their respective orafices and start producing action figures again Star Wars life would get better for me.

Peter Cullen and Frank Welker immediately make me think Transformers. Those two in relation to Star Wars didn't bring up anything right away. If I'm going to bet based on what you posted I'm guessing Mark Hamill...

Reaction score
I am a fan of EU and very slowly read the books so I could attach them to the OT. although written by a lot of authors, they kept the story together. When Disney came around and took over and said the old stuff was "legends" I refused to call EU that or accept the title. I haven't really read any of the new books, have only a few actions figures-except for many Porgs ( I like cute!) and a couple "Baby Yoda" figures. I like Mandalorian, Rogue One is OK, but really the other movies are like an alternate universe to me. Maybe Disney is not recognizing EU because they want to rewrite Star Wars in their own way. When all of us older fans are gone to the force, Disney may rewrite the whole thing over as they like it. Ugh.

Reaction score
well, look at the mandolorain series . we got boba, ashoka, rex, and bo. let's see how they explain this.....

Reaction score
Rex? I can see Boba, Ahsoka and Bo in this but Rex would be 1,000 years old in clone years so I think that must be a silly rumor unless they are doing flashbacks?

Reaction score
I agree that it shouldn't be Rex. Though there are plenty of possibilities with him being any other Clone that might have only been revived very late in the Clone Wars, or not had the advanced aging applied. Or he's playing the Son of a Clone. 🤯