Bumblebee Movie - Transformers Spin Off

GNT

Reaction score
Bumblebee spin-off film coming in 2018

Word broke earlier today that Paramount Pictures had set release dates for three more Transformers movies set to roll out annually beginning in June 2017. It was initially reported that these films would be the fifth, sixth, and seventh entries in the franchise, but new details have emerged regarding the blueprint of the Transformers films moving forward and reveal that, though there will be seven movies, one of them is in fact a spin-off.

Speaking on an investor conference call for Toy Fair, Tom Warner, the Transformers franchise leader for Hasbro, revealed that the announced 2018 film is not Transformers 6 but actually a spin-off film focusing on the character Bumblebee, with Transformers 6 actually being the 2019 release.

“This summer we worked closely with a talented team of A-list screenwriters to map out the future of the Transformers cinematic universe, and as Brian announced earlier, things kick off in a major way in 2017 with the release of Transformers 5 in June. And we’re working on a spin-off movie centered around Bumblebee for 2018 and the next chapter for 2019.”

The Bumblebee spin-off is currently set to debut in theaters on June 8, 2018, where it will clash with Legendary’s Godzilla sequel. There are currently no details on who will write or direct the film. The voiceless member of the Autobots, Bumblebee has become a fan favorite since his debut in the 2007 Transformers film with initial reports on a film of his own popping up last year.

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this movie yet? I've seen positive reviews of it so far. Apparently more G1 in the start of the film.

Reaction score
Just got home from seeing this - very much in the vein of ET and the Iron Giant. Not a lot of action but when there is, its fun. All the G1 nods are really great though

Reaction score
I keep hearing people say that it's the best Transformers movie, but that's an extremely low bar and doesn't mean that Bumblebee is in any way a good movie. I've liked everything I've seen in the trailers, except for the fact that we never hear Bumblebee speak. Can he speak? If not, why is this still a thing for this character?

Reaction score
I just got back from a screening, and really enjoyed it. And that's coming from someone who skipped the last three Transformers films entirely.

Without spoiling anything, Bumblebee's "voice" is a key storytelling device in the movie. I really liked how it was handled.

Reaction score
This movie was awesome, they finally found a way to balance the comedy with the action. Charlie's mother was annoying imo but that's my only complaint . Radical soundtrack B). Love the fact that the movie was set in 1987. The first three minutes was the best . It's basically what I always wanted to see in a Transformers movie . Really looking forward to the future of the franchise . There's alot of potential .

Last edited:
Reaction score
I keep hearing people say that it's the best Transformers movie, but that's an extremely low bar and doesn't mean that Bumblebee is in any way a good movie. I've liked everything I've seen in the trailers, except for the fact that we never hear Bumblebee speak. Can he speak? If not, why is this still a thing for this character?
This is a prequel to the Bayverse movies so he does have his voice but it shows how he lost it.

This movie was awesome, they finally found a way to balance the comedy with the action. Charlie's mother was annoying imo but that's my only complaint . Radical soundtrack B). Love the fact that the movie was set in 1987. The first three minutes was the best . It's basically what I always wanted to see in a Transformers movie . Really looking forward to the future of the franchise . There's alot of potential .
It had a pretty weak opening so I am not sure about the future of the franchise. Probably will depend on the legs, word of mouth this one has.

Reaction score
As all have been said, it is the best TF movie since the 87 Animated one. But gains not saying much. While it does pander more to G1, it also get some things wrong. or just comes off as weird/odd. I get that this was a prequel to Bayformers and it fall right in line with that. However, i had also heard it could essentially be a reboot. Which if it were, then all those Bayverse nods would seem pointless. Like him losing his voice etc.

I'm sure the week opening is due to Franchise fatigue. It also isn't marketed as a Summer Blockbuster like all the others were either. Which does seem to matter, as most winter movies do not rake in the cash like Summer movies do. I feel that BB had far more depth, taste and class than what bay has turned out. Not to mention the Charlie character kind of holds this movie together, as there aren't many other that feel as if they matter. John Cena wasn't as bad as I thought he would be, but still feel it wouldn't have been as bad with someone else. Also there are not a bunch of big bots destroying major Cities. So the action id feel low key for the most part.

Reaction score
I hope this becomes a full on reboot of the franchise. Right now, it's in the weird X-Men First Class realm where it could go either way.

Reaction score
This movie was AWESOME... loved it. Best Transformers yet! and after seeing the film I now want a toy version of Bumblebee as the Army Jeep.

Reaction score
The only problem I had with the first 5 minutes, was that it had so many Earth looking alt modes. In outer space on Cybertron before even coming to Earth, why should I be seeing Jets soaring overhead? Or a car cruising through the streets?

Reaction score
cuz it's a movie about children's toys and that's what they looked like

Reaction score
The only problem I had with the first 5 minutes, was that it had so many Earth looking alt modes. In outer space on Cybertron before even coming to Earth, why should I be seeing Jets soaring overhead? Or a car cruising through the streets?

in the cartoon series the Decepticons did transform into a sorta space looking jet and the Autobots for the most part were cars/trucks while on Cybertron. I think the 1st episode of the animated series as well as several others throughout the series run show both sides in flashbacks in the cybertronian alt modes

Reaction score
Well, sadly it looks as though the sequel will add more Bay action. TBH, I though that it had sufficient amount of action.

So i'm curious why it only made $400K, instead of the $1B that some of the other Movies made? Plot, characters, or just not enough robots?
Maybe not everyone is Bumblebee fan?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was actually interested to see it.. and I am a bumblebee fan (of sorts).. but I passed on it just the same.
why? because leading up to the release of this film, they played a marathon of old Transformers movies on TV.
and, just in the course of random channel-surfing, I was subjected to just enough content, to remind me of all the reasons why I hate these ****ing movies.
my brain turned to jello in the presence of too much "Bayhem". and I just figured, the LAST thing this world needs is another Transformer's movie. *shrug*
I'll still grab it on blu-ray. someday. I guess. but I'm not going to adjust my schedule just to see it.

I feel the same way about the recent crop of X-men movies. I'm a huge fan of the comics and the characters.
but for some reason, I thought we were getting a "Reboot" back in 2011??? instead we got the exact same ****, in just a different bucket.
and now: the very thought, of another re-telling, of the same old ****, by the same old people... *sigh* ("another" kinberg-scripted dark-phoenix?) *groan*

I can't. I just can't.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Bumblebee is worth seeing. I, too, soured on this franchise a few films back, but this movie is a nice reboot.

Reaction score
That producer's take on the sequel is like if someone said after Batman Begins came out that they missed Joel Schumacher's take on Batman, so then WB had Nolan add more Schumacher to TDK.

Well, at least there is 1 good movie featuring Transformers.

Reaction score
Still haven't seen Bumblebee.. waiting for REdbox.

I didn't think this franchise was as strong as it could have been form the start.

It was too cartoony, the transformers effects were all the same.. it was all just a bunch of metal pieces of garbled CGI (they all look the same when transforming, then TaDa.. Bumblebee.. or TaDa megatron, whatever) When they fought it just looked like a ton of metal pieces rolling around. The parents were annoying.. "Hey our house is being blown up and we're being shot at and could die, let's all crack jokes".. meh.

The shots were all wrong, and lots of shots just to have them in the movie.. "hey now let's just show some fancy nice cars driving down the road for a min. there didn't that turn out nice, doesn't that look pretty" None of it jelled.

GNT

Reaction score
The parent's in the Shia movies were horrible, their jokes and one liners weren't funny at all. The 5 films they did weren't memorable and just the same thing over and over with no clear direction of where they want the franchise to go. Bumblebee IMO helps correct the franchise to what it should be and how fans see the franchise, it was enjoyable and I would sit down and watch it again.

Reaction score
I went into BB with the belief that it was a quasi reboot, like the rumors I heard online. That ultimately turned out not quite true. They had an opportunity to do so, but grounded to Bay's Movies by making it so he still couldn't talk. Mistake #1. Now there's honestly no way to do a sequel without running into problems, or running into Bayverse. It left off with BB and Prime riding off into the sunset in his Camaro mode from the first movie. What could they possibly do now?

A BB origin Movie i can live with, but making them into a trilogy? Should have started much earlier in time then. Perhaps the 60's or 70's, with second movie in the 80's and so on. IDK, its almost like taking the bad with the good. lol

I'm still waiting for a full on Movie set on Cybertron.

Reaction score
I sold it to my family as a cross between ET and the Iron Giant -- they didn't buy it :) LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
waiting for it to come on HBO. The first transformers movie was okay to me, since I basically just wanted to see giant robots turn into tanks and **** and fight each other. The rest were garbage and got significantly worse each movie.

Reaction score
Finally watched it last night.. not great, but good. Worth watching. The actual Transformers in this flick looked much better than in the other movies. You can at least discern one from another when they were rolling around and all.

I thought it was complete overkill on the whole "My Dad's dead" thing. I got it the first 15 times you brought it up. Bumblebee was likeable, well done. The lead girl was decent as well. Cena.. a bit cheesy, but overall OK. Pretty much same plot as all the others, pretty basic.

Again, good movie, but not GREAT.

GNT

Reaction score
The old Transformer films were getting stale, it was just the same old stuff recycled - The Last Knight was horrible. They just need to focus on Bumblebee 2 timeline going forward and right the wrongs done by Bay.

Reaction score
Sry, for resurrect this one, but due c-virus quarantine 🙄 I am currently sitting through a Transformers marathon and there is something I wanted to ask

Because I am not a diehard critics and I enjoy every movie for what it is, there is one thing I wonder every time I see it.
Dont matter if Autobot, Decepticon, Dinobot ... when in vehicle mode everythings shiny and polished, but when changing into robot mode, all visible vehicleparts suddenly are dirty, rusty, damaged, colorchipped...

why ?🤔🤔

Reaction score
I think that's a question that only Michael Bay can answer. Or whoever though that's how they should look.