BSG Mattel Customs

Reaction score
Does anybody remember Battlestar Galactica? I have just gotten into it recently and it's equally good, cool, exciting and awesome as Star Wars and believe me, I don't see anything wrong with it. And by Battlestar Galactica, I mean the original television series from 1978.

I know what some of you may think; "Battlestar Galactica is a rip-off of Star Wars." Well, no it is not. That is an insult to the memory and the creative success of television producer Glen A. Larson. What better way to honour and celebrate his everlasting legacy than with BSG custom figures and vehicles (to fit the figures in)?

Yes, we don't see so many BSG customs here so, let's see some right here! I may even present some myself. If anyone wanted to actually own a Colonial Viper to fit your Starbuck figure in, well, this is the one place to do it! Those who are wanting to make a Colonial Viper to better suit your 3.75" Starbuck figure, don't go breaking apart and modifying your Kenner/Hasbro X-Wing Fighter willy-nilly. You've got to plan these things out (Mind you, if anybody does get such an idea, please mention it here).

Good luck and happy customizing!

Utinniii

Reaction score
I loved that show. I also met a Cylon and Random crew members at Universal Studios (or whatever park had the ride in the 70's). There was a tram tour and we were captured by Lucifer and Star Buck saved us.

BG was sued by GL for ripping it off. I don't remember the outcome.

One of my first ever customs was painting a Cylon Gold (it rubbed off). I have most of the original series, although I only have the head of the lighter Dagget (I met the monkey playing him too!) I have a ground vehicle and had the model of the Cylon Base. I might of had the Galactaca too.

Making Lucifer is on my long-long list of figures to make.

Interesting fact: The Mork from Ork figure used the same mold for his body. (I had the figure and egg for the longest time until I gave it to a crush).

I'm glad you are enjoying the series (STAY AWAY FROM THE SECOND SERIES AT ALL COSTS EXCEPT FOR THE STARBUCK EPISODE!!!!).
I find it hard to watch things from that era for the first time. I just watched a couple of Buck Rodgers episodes and while it wasn't as painful as the 1930's serial to watch, it wasn't great.

The V miniseries was awesome. I have at least 4 figures I want to make from that. The TV series was good at the time but the ending could have been done in a much more feasable way.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I was talking about V there. Diana, Martin, Alien Soldier (alien head) and alien baby. If I have the fodder, I might do another Diana (Shredded human skin/scales exposed (there's a pic of her like that).

For BG 1978, I would do Apollo and Star Buck (Suede jacket), boomer, and the girls. I may do the annoying kid from BG 1980 as a joke, but I have hundreds of figures I would make first.

I would like the new BG figures in 3.75 scale. I might do some of them if I found the right figures (and time).

Most of my toys are boxed away. If I can get at them in a few weeks I'll try to post a pic of them.

Reaction score
I was talking about V there. Diana, Martin, Alien Soldier (alien head) and alien baby. If I have the fodder, I might do another Diana (Shredded human skin/scales exposed (there's a pic of her like that).

For BG 1978, I would do Apollo and Star Buck (Suede jacket), boomer, and the girls. I may do the annoying kid from BG 1980 as a joke, but I have hundreds of figures I would make first.

I would like the new BG figures in 3.75 scale. I might do some of them if I found the right figures (and time).

Most of my toys are boxed away. If I can get at them in a few weeks I'll try to post a pic of them.
Say, can you imagine making a proper action figure-sized Colonial Viper that can actually fit the figures inside? I can and it's gonna be for a project I'm thinking about.

Reaction score

Do you have any BSG custom figures you wish to share with us?

Utinniii

Reaction score
No, unless you count the mounted Daggit head I put up in Jabba's Palace.

It's interesting that you posted this today. I just looked at my V fodder figures today. I had some extra green Model Magic and I thought of making the V baby.

Wasn't there a scale Viper made in the 80's or was it the one for the mini figure. I have the land crawler vehicle but I'd prefer the cylon vehicle.

Reaction score
No, unless you count the mounted Daggit head I put up in Jabba's Palace.

It's interesting that you posted this today. I just looked at my V fodder figures today. I had some extra green Model Magic and I thought of making the V baby.

Wasn't there a scale Viper made in the 80's or was it the one for the mini figure. I have the land crawler vehicle but I'd prefer the cylon vehicle.
So I did. Mind you, the Colonial Viper had a mini-figure of its own and it was smaller than the regular Star Wars vehicles. At least it sorta fits in with the Micro Machines Action Fleet vehicles. And please show us your V baby custom once you've made it.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I had to look on Ebay for the Raider ship. It was for the mini-figure. However, there was also a model kit which I think was a better scale.
I actually saw a hotwheels? Raider ship over Xmas and resisted the urge to buy it. I have no place to display it.

I really want to check out 3D printing. I wonder how hard it would be to buy a tiny ship and scale it for 3.75 figures.

I'll post it when it is done.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had to look on Ebay for the Raider ship. It was for the mini-figure. However, there was also a model kit which I think was a better scale.
I actually saw a hotwheels? Raider ship over Xmas and resisted the urge to buy it. I have no place to display it.

I really want to check out 3D printing. I wonder how hard it would be to buy a tiny ship and scale it for 3.75 figures.

I'll post it when it is done.
Oh, yes, 3D printing would be a great idea. In fact, maybe try and design a Colonial Viper with one of the original Mattel 3.75" BSG Classic figures as a guideline (Starbuck would do).

Reaction score
Gosh, it's been years since I last commented here, but...I could try a new project right here. I was thinking of making Athena and Boomer in 3 3/4" scale but which figures to use? Remember, they have to be within the scale fo the original Mattel figures.

Reaction score
I would check Marauder to see if any of their bodies and heads are close matches. Video Viper commented that Captain Cassian Andors body from the Vintage Collection was a close match to the flight jacket versions.

Reaction score
I would check Marauder to see if any of their bodies and heads are close matches. Video Viper commented that Captain Cassian Andors body from the Vintage Collection was a close match to the flight jacket versions.
Now, that's a good suggestion but I was hoping to use Funko/Super7 ReAction figures with 5POA to keep within the retro style line.