BS 6" Golan Arms DF9 Hoth rebel turret

Reaction score
Hello :)

I've started a few things before, but never got around to do more work on them, and now I've done it again, only this time, I've put more effort into it.

It's for the Black Series 6 inch figures and it's supposed to resemble the DF9 turret, as seen in Empire Strikes Back.
The proces, roughly (put in spoiler tag, because of lots of text):
  Spoiler:  
I started out by finding the measurements available, and it says they are about 4 meters tall and 2,5 meters wide at the bottom base. In 6 inch sizes it's about 13.12 inches tall and 8.20 inches wide. Then I went searching for blueprints, reference photos etc.

The part that drove me most nuts (as of now) was the truncated cone; how to calculate it and draw it, but it worked out. I cut out a couple of rings of foamboard to have some sturdy templates and drew and cut some more from currogated cardboard to make the shapes of the bottom, fillers for the middle, and top of the rotating part. Then I drew on top of the blue prints in illustrator to get a feel for how many layers of cardboard to put on top of eachother. Then glued these layers together, taped a ring of carton around them and filled it up with expansive foam - and used wayyy more than nescessary!
After that had hardened, I cut away the excess foam until my "rings" started to show and thereby have the sloping shape I wanted.
Then sanded it down to have a smoother surface.
My next problem was to cover the cut edges and I tried a few things: Glue, hot glue, wall filler and body filler. The glue took forever, so I went with the body filler and used it on the angled surfaces too. Just a thin layer to fill out and cover holes.

So here are the first 15 images of the process - I have more, but haven't copied those over yet.

As of now it is mostly the rotating tower I have been working on. I have drilled a hole for the operator to stand in - it will be visible in the next set of photos :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Next set of wip images.

Drilled small holes to make the manhole in the turret, first with a smaller sized drill, then a larger and then using my multitool to cut/sand/grind away the rest.
I wasn't aiming for it to be approx. the same diameter as a beer can, but lo and behold, it fits perfectly! So I used some steel wool to grind off the print and buff it to some degree.
The middlesection consist of 2 pieces of currogated cardboard that I glued together and made a hole through to fit the top and bottom. As you can see, I have a thin wooden stick in the middle to make sure they stay in place. So now I am trying to figure out how the gun barrel should fit.

Reaction score
This is an interesting build! Thanks for the WIP pics. They are quite helpful!

Pegging/pinning things for stability is really important. Just keep in mind where they might intersect.

Reaction score
Thank you, Sir :) I am thinking of making the inside hollow so there actually will be room for the rest of the 3-man crew

Reaction score
So assembling the pieces temporarily, it looks like this:

Reaction score
Next up was how to make it all fit together.
I decided to use a cardboard tube from paper towels as the center pillar. But the manhole is overlapping into it, so I filled it with expansive foam, normally used for walls etc. (but it's cheap).
Also I wanted to make a straight inner tube so there will be no angled walls inside the turret.
When the foam cured I cut it to fit the center and cut steps into it. Placed it to see how it all looked. And then I cut a door in the outer wall.
Last image is seen from inside and up trough the manhole.

Reaction score
36. New "body" test. And a new method for making it fit better. The first was a bit leaning to one side.
37. Base needed seperators to cover that "step" half way round. Some references only a quarter is a step, some it's 4 quarters.
38. Styrofoam cutting a half circle on the diy styrofoam cutter.
39 Fitting the pieces in between the seperators.
40. Cutting them to size and the approx. right angle.
41. Seen from above.
42. After sanding the second application of spackle/body filler.
43. Plates on top of the turret.
44. Plate armor/wall/deco on the outer wall of the turret.

Reaction score
I'm enjoying your WIPs.

How'd you make the cutter?
A friend of mine made it :) I had an idea for it, and he just threw some wood pieces together and made sure the wirings etc was right - he's tech savy that way :)

Reaction score
Oofa, I've been watching this custom for awhile looking for inspiration when it comes to building my own. This thing is a thing of beauty. Just curious, have you figured out how you plan to make the cannon?

I ask, because at this stage of your build, I'd be tempted to add LED's to it. Perhaps a few random colors for the interior (monitors, scopes, perhaps a hologram generator), and red lights for the cannon barrel. Would be easier to set the wiring and switches now rather than after its finished.

Reaction score
Oofa, I've been watching this custom for awhile looking for inspiration when it comes to building my own. This thing is a thing of beauty. Just curious, have you figured out how you plan to make the cannon?

I ask, because at this stage of your build, I'd be tempted to add LED's to it. Perhaps a few random colors for the interior (monitors, scopes, perhaps a hologram generator), and red lights for the cannon barrel. Would be easier to set the wiring and switches now rather than after its finished.
I've been laying low with this for a week, so I haven't really thought that part trough, but I like what you're saying :) I do want to make the interior somewhat more exciting than just an empty hull.

Though electronics is not my specialty, I do have some friends that are far far better at that than me :)

Reaction score
I've been laying low with this for a week, so I haven't really thought that part trough, but I like what you're saying :) I do want to make the interior somewhat more exciting than just an empty hull.

Though electronics is not my specialty, I do have some friends that are far far better at that than me :)
I can understand that, I've never added LED's to any of my own things yet either. Perhaps repurposing a cheap jack-o-lantern light. Here in the State's we have some that run as much as $5 bucks that come in solid clear, assorted solid colors, or a combination (usually clear, red, and green). Plus, they can be set to be on full, or random flashes..

Just an idea.

Reaction score
I can understand that, I've never added LED's to any of my own things yet either. Perhaps repurposing a cheap jack-o-lantern light. Here in the State's we have some that run as much as $5 bucks that come in solid clear, assorted solid colors, or a combination (usually clear, red, and green). Plus, they can be set to be on full, or random flashes..

Just an idea.
I will look into this, though we usually don't have all the fun stuff you guys have readily available. E.g.: casting kits/materials are almost import only.
If only wallmart etc. would franchise to European markets like Denmark :D

Reaction score
So, got to work a little on the turret again :)

A lot of sanding, repairing dents etc, spackling, sanding and then priming.
Oh, and I decreased the size of the manhole to fit a pvc tube - just a tiny bit smaller. But the pvc tube is thicker and stronger than a soda can, so that's why.

Reaction score
Looking good! I want to see a pic of how everything fits together.
For the cannon, clear straws, stirring sticks, and even clear pens might come in handy. They will show light if one end is touching a light source.
I'm not good with electrical wiring, but I have used a lot of battery string lights (usually bought around Halloween or Christmas). If you only need one light source, electric tealights (candles) might give you what you need.

Reaction score
Looking good! I want to see a pic of how everything fits together.
For the cannon, clear straws, stirring sticks, and even clear pens might come in handy. They will show light if one end is touching a light source.
I'm not good with electrical wiring, but I have used a lot of battery string lights (usually bought around Halloween or Christmas). If you only need one light source, electric tealights (candles) might give you what you need.
The cannon is my aim at the moment. First of all making it look like the actual cannon barrel. Then how to make it customizable - replace a barrel with a heavier kind etc.

Great ideas, thanks Utiniii :D

Reaction score
Edit: double post.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Had an idea for the barrel - to use my old speed loader from airsoft rifles. And adding a thin metal pipe piece to the black pieces.
I put some hot glue under the metal piece, for it to "lean" on and align with the rest.
Glued it all on the barrel. Sanded it and primed it with the bottom and top again.

Reaction score
Looks great! It's HUGE!
It is - I made it according to the measurements I could find - it does seem, from certain angles, a little oversized, but then on other images, it's right on the money :)

Reaction score
I wasn't implying that it was oversized, it is just now that it is assembled one can truly appreciate the size of it.

For the most part, oversized is better anyway. Most vehicles/beasts... are too tiny, although my scale is 3.75 so even if oversized they don't take up a lot of space. I'm happy I don't need 6" playsets/vehicles.

Reaction score
I wasn't implying that it was oversized, it is just now that it is assembled one can truly appreciate the size of it.

For the most part, oversized is better anyway. Most vehicles/beasts... are too tiny, although my scale is 3.75 so even if oversized they don't take up a lot of space. I'm happy I don't need 6" playsets/vehicles.
Not to worry :) I love the size of it - and I was kind of surprised by the volume of it when I had the early mock-ups put together.
Maybe that is why, when it's the right size, it feels a bit oversized.

I made some diagrams of approx. size comparison to me and 6" sized vehicles (and figures) - they get quite big some of them!

---

Reaction score
Some of those are real monsters! (Literally!)

I find that I change the scale to fit the space I'm putting the thing in. For example, I wanted all the alcoves of Jabba's Palace but if I used the correct scale then I wouldn't have had room for the room with Han in it.

One day I want to make a Sandcrawler but it WON'T be to scale! It would just be to huge. I think 2-3' tall is big enough.

Reaction score
Some of those are real monsters! (Literally!)

I find that I change the scale to fit the space I'm putting the thing in. For example, I wanted all the alcoves of Jabba's Palace but if I used the correct scale then I wouldn't have had room for the room with Han in it.

One day I want to make a Sandcrawler but it WON'T be to scale! It would just be to huge. I think 2-3' tall is big enough.
There is a video from Dioramaworkshop I think, where they build a large sandcrawler - not sure what scale it is, though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've seen that! I believe it is 1/16 (3.75cm) scale.
As much as I love Jawas, I found it to big to really enjoy, especially since it was hollow and is really meant for only a dozen figures. Using the same space for Hoth, the Deathstar or Jabba's place would allow for dozens (hundreds) of additional figures.

My idea is to make half of the Sandcrawler (side profile). The outside can have a Jawa droid sale and the inside will have lots of rooms/junk.
One day though. It's #12 on my list of dioramas. I think it needs to made from wood though, not foam board.

Reaction score
I've seen that! I believe it is 1/16 (3.75cm) scale.
As much as I love Jawas, I found it to big to really enjoy, especially since it was hollow and is really meant for only a dozen figures. Using the same space for Hoth, the Deathstar or Jabba's place would allow for dozens (hundreds) of additional figures.

My idea is to make half of the Sandcrawler (side profile). The outside can have a Jawa droid sale and the inside will have lots of rooms/junk.
One day though. It's #12 on my list of dioramas. I think it needs to made from wood though, not foam board.
That sounds like a great idea - the half side. Especially for diorama purpose.
What are the previous 11 on your list? :) If I may ask.

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my rough sketch. The lines of the Sandcrawler are to light to see, but you can get a rough idea of height and depth. The Jawa on the bottom is where the treads are.

I'm going to cut it out and make 3 copies of it (2 paper, one cardboard). Once I buy the wood, I will make it. Actually, I'll probably make a cardboard prototype first so I can see how to fit everything together.

Here are my other projects, in the rough order I want to make them. Maz , Jabba Dungeon, Jabba Droid torture, Jabba’s dais, Rancor, Cantina redux, Dagobah, Secret Mystery Project, Avengers Conference Room, X-Men Danger Room, and to finish my Gremlins movie theatre.

You might have noticed in my own thread I had a pic of 4 of these just plastered and painted. I add as many details as I can so even though the walls are up, they all have a way to go before being finished. I also want to have all the characters (including concept sketches) of the SW scenes.

I will probably make a Halloween display this October as well.

Yakface is having a diorama contest that ends Sept 30. If you finish yours in time, you should enter it.

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my rough sketch. The lines of the Sandcrawler are to light to see, but you can get a rough idea of height and depth. The Jawa on the bottom is where the treads are.

I'm going to cut it out and make 3 copies of it (2 paper, one cardboard). Once I buy the wood, I will make it. Actually, I'll probably make a cardboard prototype first so I can see how to fit everything together.

Here are my other projects, in the rough order I want to make them. Maz , Jabba Dungeon, Jabba Droid torture, Jabba’s dais, Rancor, Cantina redux, Dagobah, Secret Mystery Project, Avengers Conference Room, X-Men Danger Room, and to finish my Gremlins movie theatre.

You might have noticed in my own thread I had a pic of 4 of these just plastered and painted. I add as many details as I can so even though the walls are up, they all have a way to go before being finished. I also want to have all the characters (including concept sketches) of the SW scenes.

I will probably make a Halloween display this October as well.

Yakface is having a diorama contest that ends Sept 30. If you finish yours in time, you should enter it.

It's very hard to see.
Interesting projects, especially the Danger Room :)
Oh well... Mine isn't exactly a diorama, but making a snow-scape with some trenches wouldn't be that far stretched to make. Time will tell :)

Reaction score
So, time for an update:

55: Hole drilled - a wee bit off, of what I intended, but it's straight though (plus it's mainly cardboard inside, so... )
56: Test fitting - perfect (almost)!
57: Test fitting made me realise the hull seemed too "thin", so I increased the size in top and bottom and made a new.
58: With new "hull"
59: Kinda looks cool with no hull too :)
61: Decided to start on a holo projector - Darth Vader style (ESB)
62: Close up of the "carvings"
63: Grandson wants to try
65: The things beside the barrel - I believe they are called "Laser Actuators".
66: The missing piece! I needed an end cap in between the above and a pen cap from TRU was the perfect fit!
67: I needed to drill it out a little though.
68: Getting closer to completion
69: Glued, primed and fitted on!
70: TBC

Reaction score
Phew, too long have this been lying low, but since then I got the mammoth book Star Wars The Blueprints.
Lots of great great references, as long as you can decipher the numbers on those images.

Well, I've long had a feeling that my turret was a bit on the large side, turns out I am right.
Although, according to the measurements in the book, I was on the right track, actually spot on.

But in the book there's a silhouette next to the turret, and with those measurements, the figure is about 8 ft 0.45 inches tall in real life.
So, I will have to make the corresponding sized turret - I think I might do it while finishing the one posted with images in this thread.

For once a considerably overscaled vehicle/machinery for the figures! :D

Watch this space for updates, hopefully with a higher frequency than since last post.

Reaction score
Loving the use of simple materials yet the end result looks perfectly rendered, you have some serious modelling talent. Awesome work!
Ah, thank you very much. I redid the turret, because the more I worked on it I realised it was way too big. You can see on the image above.
Those measurements you can find online, especially the official ones, are not always correct. They might have been what they wanted, but the end result in some cases (e.g. A-wing, this turret) came out different.

Last edited: