Broken tape seals on MISB vehicles?

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a Slave 1 Vintage Collection that was advertised as new and sealed in the box. When I got it, I saw that one of the pieces of tape was broken. The untaped flap popped open. From what was visible, the cardboard inside looked new and undisturbed.

The previous owner said he never broke the seal and opened the box and I'm inclined to believe him.

Does tape ever just get dry and brittle and break on its own? I'm thinking the tape just got old and snapped one day. The tape on the other side of the box looks like it's under tension.

Does this broken seal have any serious effect on value? Right now it'd be classified as a never removed from box toy.

Would applying new tape be a bad alteration to the original packaging?

To be honest, I'm pretty confident it's a new, never removed from box item as it looks that way to me and I had a good back and forth with the prior and only owner.

I'm mainly just curious to see if anyone else has experiences with tape breaking.

Thanks for your help and opinions!

Reaction score
Tape does break down over time but the Slave 1 hasn't been out that long. I'd say its possible but unlikely. If the tape is already broken, check all the parts are there and compare them with the photo guide as this vehicle came with an Exclusive Carbonite block.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Yes, it helps! Thanks! I'll carefully check the contents. I won't be able to say never removed from box after I do it but I'll be careful not to disturb the original packing job. Like I said, I trust the previous owner but maybe he did something and forget. It'll set my mind at ease to check.

This deal is getting worse all the time.

Reaction score
I slid the cardboard out of the box and it everything is there including the Han Solo in the original plastic. I guess tape can and does snap. I don't think Hasbro is using very high-end tape.

Reaction score
Well, if anyone has stories of broken tape I'd be curious to hear them. There's not much out there.

Reaction score
You've at least got the peace of mind that it is all there and lets face it, anyone buying it off you in future would ask the same questions about the tape anyway. At least you can now say with certainty that it is all there.

Chris

Reaction score
I've seen some items have the tape lose their stickyness, and roll up never them break.

Reaction score
Yeah, I opened a Force Awakens X-Wing the other day and the tape seemed pretty durable.

Reaction score
I have an amazon Slave 1 still in the box that's popped the tape on the flaps. I figured that it had more to do with the flimsy cardboard they made the box out of not being able to keep rigid when something is left on top of it.