brians toys and cloud city together

Reaction score
Well, yeah. Now you can buy BOTH!
grin.gif

Reaction score
It shouldn't surprise you. You asked the same question last October:
wink.gif

cloud city bought by brianstoys??

Since then BT has actually purchased CCC from Ron Wallace. Actually, shortly after. So, yes, they are one business now and have been for some time.

John

Reaction score
JohnA said:
It shouldn't surprise you. You asked the same question last October:
wink.gif

cloud city bought by brianstoys??

Since then BT has actually purchased CCC from Ron Wallace. Actually, shortly after. So, yes, they are one business now and have been for some time.

John

yeah, i noticed that thing last year, but everyone said that brians didnt buy CC

Reaction score
One of the guys at Cloud City gave me a great deal on some vintage MOC figures that became the cornerstone of my collection.

Brian's Toys would've never made such a good deal with me on those same figures.

Reaction score
yeah, i have bought from CC and they gave me a good deal on my favorite figure.

Reaction score
i was shocked yesterday... i went to brians toys for the first time to buy summat, after looking at this post..

all i wanted was the jabba bowl as i have lost the prong thing that sticks out the back of the bowl like an exhaust pipe...

anyways BARGAIN! found one for 99cents! BUT the cheapest shipping was $20
confused.gif

so i had to leave it

Reaction score
lumat said:
they are both selling the same figure (check the afa number)
are they together now. i know i am not up to date on everything, but this kind of surprised me

http://www.brianstoys.com/store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SV3CRJAWAC9%2b*AFA17063932
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120249785792&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

I 'think' what he's trying to say is not that he's surprised they are together, but they are selling the item through two different methods.

It's be different if they were selling on ebay with CCC and Brian's Toys (if both sold, they'd be in a pickle), however, in this case, since one is on Brian's Toys website, they may be only obligated subject to availability.

ie, if it sold on ebay, they would put sold on their website and if it sold on their website, they'd cancel the ebay auction

Reaction score
I have also seen a seller doing the same, he has a buy it now MOC in his ebay store but has the same MOC on his personal site for about $10 -$15 Cheaper??
Is this common practice? I understand having two advertisements but the same item for two different prices?

Was going to email him to ask the reason and if he would entertain selling at the cheaper price but he wants $30 to send internationally anyway so I figured best to stay away!

Reaction score
whiteskinnydroid said:
I have also seen a seller doing the same, he has a buy it now MOC in his ebay store but has the same MOC on his personal site for about $10 -$15 Cheaper??
Is this common practice? I understand having two advertisements but the same item for two different prices?

Was going to email him to ask the reason and if he would entertain selling at the cheaper price but he wants $30 to send internationally anyway so I figured best to stay away!

Probably to offset the Ebay fees.

Jim

Reaction score
Killerbee said:
It's be different if they were selling on ebay with CCC and Brian's Toys (if both sold, they'd be in a pickle)

Well, it has happened. I bought two figures a little over a week ago: a 20-back Obi-Wan and an ESB Rebel Soldier.

A few days ago I get an e-mail stating that the Obi-Wan had sold out, and I could either get a refund, or another 20-back Obi-Wan...at a higher price
mad.gif

To make it just a tad worse, the ESB Rebel Soldier only got sent out today (almost two weeks after I paid for it)

I declined getting the higher-priced Obi-Wan and opted for the refund...which I'm still waiting for...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
they'd cancel the ebay auction

[/QUOTE]

Umm...not so far! They're selling stuff on the website and through both of their eBay accounts at the same time.

Hopefully they will employ staff who actually pay attention to what they're doing!!

Rob.

Reaction score
Thats weird, they had a nice trilogo logray, which was very cheap considering the grade it got, so i ordered it on saturday night, and got it last night.

they wanted almost half the price of 1to5days wanted for the same graded figure,.

i am not opposed to brians toys at all, i find some of their prices to be silly high and others to be fair.

for example they have a trilogo logray for i think 1600, where realistically it is worth 200 maybe 250

Reaction score
phase_3 said:
Well, it has happened. I bought two figures a little over a week ago: a 20-back Obi-Wan and an ESB Rebel Soldier.

A few days ago I get an e-mail stating that the Obi-Wan had sold out, and I could either get a refund, or another 20-back Obi-Wan...at a higher price
mad.gif

There are really only two ways to call what happened in this case: you could say that either the seller was being incredibly sloppy, or the seller used bait and switch.

The BT and CC merge is (very) old news. If people were unfamiliar with some of the issues previously raised with how BT (CC) lists on ebay, check this thread.

Reaction score
Dave_T said:
There are really only two ways to call what happened in this case: you could say that either the seller was being incredibly sloppy, or the seller used bait and switch.
For sure. You'd hope it was just the triple-listing single items thing coming back to bite them in the *ss / sloppiness.. (listing the same item in CC & BT eBayIDs simultaneously & the BTs website) & they just forgot to cancel the other listings, etc.. but who knows if there might be a little bait & switch at work. It happens all the time in a variety of different businesses.

" I am Rusty Shackleford, & i am here to purchase a Char-King Royale.. My satisfaction depends on it. None left?? Bait & switch! Bait & switch! "
smile.gif

Sorry to hear about your problems, Rob. At least people are posting about their experiences. As long as everyone knows what's happening then people can make up their own minds about what they think.

- Allan

Reaction score
Hey Dave_T & AllanB,

Thanks very much for the info -- I had heard about that type of scam a few years back, but hadn't heard the term 'bait & switch' before.

I finally got the refund on the Obi-Wan figure.

On and off, I've been buying stuff from Brian's Toys since around 1998, so I really hope that they're not using the bait & switch type of scam.

Have there been any other reports of this type of thing (Bait & switch) happening with Cloud City and Brian's Toys?

We've all known for a while now that CC and BT are selling the same items at the exact same time, but I hadn't heard of them potentially trying to scam people.

Cheers,
Rob.

AllanB said:
Dave_T said:
For sure. You'd hope it was just the triple-listing single items thing coming back to bite them in the *ss / sloppiness.. (listing the same item in CC & BT eBayIDs simultaneously & the BTs website) & they just forgot to cancel the other listings, etc.. but who knows if there might be a little bait & switch at work. It happens all the time in a variety of different businesses.

" I am Rusty Shackleford, & i am here to purchase a Char-King Royale.. My satisfaction depends on it. None left?? Bait & switch! Bait & switch! "
smile.gif

Sorry to hear about your problems, Rob. At least people are posting about their experiences. As long as everyone knows what's happening then people can make up their own minds about what they think.

- Allan

Reaction score
phase_3 said:
Killerbee said:
It's be different if they were selling on ebay with CCC and Brian's Toys (if both sold, they'd be in a pickle)

mad.gif

To make it just a tad worse, the ESB Rebel Soldier only got sent out today (almost two weeks after I paid for it)

I declined getting the higher-priced Obi-Wan and opted for the refund...which I'm still waiting for...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
they'd cancel the ebay auction

Umm...not so far! They're selling stuff on the website and through both of their eBay accounts at the same time.

Hopefully they will employ staff who actually pay attention to what they're doing!!

Rob.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised. For years now, I've heard some pretty bad stories about Brian's Toys and the level of service they give to Aussie buyers. It's been poor at best, items not sent, wrong items sent, BT refusing to fix things and send the right item, etc etc.

Reaction score
phase_3 said:
Hey Dave_T & AllanB,

Thanks very much for the info -- I had heard about that type of scam a few years back, but hadn't heard the term 'bait & switch' before.

I finally got the refund on the Obi-Wan figure.

On and off, I've been buying stuff from Brian's Toys since around 1998, so I really hope that they're not using the bait & switch type of scam.

I hope they're not either, because it's a very ugly practice and a very ugly thing to accuse someone of, which is why I said it was either that OR they were just being very sloppy. It could've just been sloppiness-- I don't know.

Granted this is only one side of the story, but based on what was reported here, BT listed an item that wasn't available, took payment for an item that wasn't available, then didn't contact the buyer about the issue for approximately a week. If it gets that bad, I'd hope that the seller would issue a similar or better item at the same price. I've had that happen several times with a product that I'd ordered or reserved that went out-of-stock, or even in a situation where a hotel was overbooked after I'd made a reservation, and arrangements were made at the hotel's expense for a room upgrade. Sure, "stuff" happens, but when it does, and it's the seller's fault (which seems to be the case here), charging the buyer more money for a similar item (regardless if it's in a little better condition) isn't the best way of handling what's become a customer service issue, at that point.

Like I said, who knows if it was intentional or not, but I definately think they could've handled it better, regardless.

Reaction score
Dave_T said:
I hope they're not either, because it's a very ugly practice and a very ugly thing to accuse someone of, which is why I said it was either that OR they were just being very sloppy. It could've just been sloppiness-- I don't know.
Well, that's the thing, isn't it? This type of multiple listing of single items often leads to problems like this that make people wonder these things.

Dave_T said:
Granted this is only one side of the story, but based on what was reported here, BT listed an item that wasn't available, took payment for an item that wasn't available, then didn't contact the buyer about the issue for approximately a week. If it gets that bad, I'd hope that the seller would issue a similar or better item at the same price.
Yup, absolutely.

Dave_T said:
Sure, "stuff" happens, but when it does, and it's the seller's fault (which seems to be the case here), charging the buyer more money for a similar item (regardless if it's in a little better condition) isn't the best way of handling what's become a customer service issue, at that point.
I totally agree, but using the phrases: "best way of handling", "customer service issue" & "Brian's Toys" in the same sentence just seem to be setting yourself up for disappointment, Dave..
laugh.gif

Dave_T said:
Like I said, who knows if it was intentional or not, but I definately think they could've handled it better, regardless.
For sure.

And i tell you something, the practice of "bait & switch" is definitely not uncommon these days. Happened to me recently with a ride-on lawnmower place. They were happy to take my substantial deposit (many thousands) with a guaranteed delivery date of a week from the deposit, but then rang me on the delivery date to tell me that there was going to be a long wait on my chosen model, could be many months, as because of unforeseeable difficulties the manufacturer wasn't sure when they were going to be able to supply that particular model.. (as a problem had *just* happened at the manufacturer's plant) & that he was very sorry to have to tell me, & was just as disappointed as i was, etc..

But that everything was fine as all i had to do was choose one of their other lovely ride-ons which *was* available & even more reasonably priced (because they were cheap sh*t Chinese rubbish which i'd seen covered in dust in their showroom, which they obviously couldn't sell) & they'd have it delivered that very day. They'd even throw in some crap.

He was really pushy.. "They're a great mower, really.. Dont worry about the fact that you've never heard of the brand, it's "*great* value".. [translation: very poorly made, but fairly cheap] It's a *great* ride-on.. I'll load it into the trailer & bring it over, ok??
wink.gif
"

When i politely said that definitely wouldn't be satisfactory, & that i'd like a definite date for delivery of *my* mower, he said he couldn't give me one.. & then was very obstructive about me getting my deposit refunded so that i could buy one elsewhere. "They didn't refund deposits..", "He didn't have it anymore..", "The business was really struggling because of whatever", etc, etc.. And other various horsesh*t..
laugh.gif

When i called the manufacturer to ask when that dealer or any dealer could reasonably expect the next delivery of that model, it immediately became clear that at the time i paid the deposit that the dealer had known full well it would be a 6 month wait at the very least, or much longer on the brand/model i had "ordered".. And that this had been the case for some time, & was nothing new or recent, & was solely due to "regular seasonal demand / demand in excess to production" & *nothing* to do with any "unforeseeable delays". And that i should be *very* careful of "bait & switch" merchants, & avoid them at all cost as that was usually only the tip of the iceberg..
smirk.gif

Clearly they just get you to pay the deposit on an item that they know they wont be able to supply, in the hope that they'll be able to try to cling onto your deposit with any load of BS that comes to mind, & talk/hassle/harass you into being supplied with something else that they *cant sell* when "the manufacturer is suddenly & unforeseeably unable to supply the item" on the actual day you expected it / need it.
rolleyes.gif

Needless to say i turned up in person & pounded the counter until my cash was counted out on the counter, but the point is that it wasn't really something i was watching out for.. And i bet they successfully trap a lot of people with that one, especially if the customer is operating under deadlines, simply not assertive enough, not up to dealing with their argumentative rubbish on the day, etc..

Freakin' human parasites..

- Allan

Reaction score
Hey AllanB & Dave_T,

I 100% agree with both of you.

I'm glad I got my refund, and I do hope that this was an isolated incident brought about by sloppy work from BT, as there haven't been any other Scum members talking about BT / CC using 'bait & switch' type scams.

AllanB said:
Needless to say i turned up in person & pounded the counter until my cash was counted out on the counter, but the point is that it wasn't really something i was watching out for.. And i bet they successfully trap a lot of people with that one, especially if the customer is operating under deadlines, simply not assertive enough, not up to dealing with their argumentative rubbish on the day, etc..

Freakin' human parasites..

- Allan

What a nightmare! At least you made sure you got your cash back -- there would be plenty of people who just wouldn't be assertive enough to do that.

Cheers,
Rob.