"Bounty Hunters"

Reaction score
This has probably been discussed before, but it occurs to me that the term "bounty hunter" is overused, and frequently employed in a manner suggesting nobody knows what a bounty hunter actually is. Ignoring the OT, which actually does accurately depict bounty hunting, it seems half the characters frequently described as bounty hunters are actually anything but bounty hunters.

A bounty is something offered, whereas a fee is a charge. It's only a bounty if the employer offers it. When the employee charges it, it becomes a fee, and then they're a contractor or mercenary.

Cad Bane, for example, charges fees rather than collecting bounties. So while there's nothing saying he can't hunt bounties occasionally, the fact he (from what I've observed) charges fees for his service as opposed to accepting offered sums means he isn't what I'd call a bounty hunter.

Can anyone explain the demonstrably incorrect overuse of the term bounty hunter, and why it's so popular? Besides the most obvious, i.e., "Boba Fett is popular."

Last edited:
Reaction score
In one episode they do discuss Cad Bane as a bounty hunter and how many bounties he has collected.
On a whole though, they call them bounty hunters rather than trying to explain they are really just hired guns most of the time

Reaction score
But "all" Bounty Hunters charge a fee to do someone's bidding. At the point they can start charging whatever they want, means they're in the best category. When first starting out, I imagine they just go around collecting the posted bounties. But as they become more known, they can be "requested" for a certain job. Technically, anyone who's ever collected a bounty. Even if by accident, could still be considered a Bounty Hunter.