Book Project: Universe Expanded

Reaction score
I've been working on a new book dedicated to the 1998 Expanded Universe subline of action figures and vehicles. If successful, this will be the fifth toy book I've published over the last few years, and I've now got the Kickstarter project active and looking for supporters.

Universe Expanded
will be a 96-page hardcover book, full-color interior pages packed with photos, scans, and discussion of the nine carded action figures and three boxed vehicles from that 1998 Expanded Universe line. You can take a look at the Kickstarter page for more info about the project, or watch my website -- BattleGrip -- as the project progresses.

Reaction score
Nice job this looks great! You can tell a lot of effort went into this, and it looks fantastic. My only question is why limit your book to the 1998 line? Maybe your next book can feature other EU characters from the comic packs and video game lines... Anyway great job man, good luck with your fundraising!

Reaction score
Nice job this looks great! You can tell a lot of effort went into this, and it looks fantastic. My only question is why limit your book to the 1998 line? Maybe your next book can feature other EU characters from the comic packs and video game lines... Anyway great job man, good luck with your fundraising!
Thanks.

I limited this because I wanted to have a very focused project that captured a time of collecting when I was having a hell of a lot of fun. By focusing just on these nine toys it has really taken me back; this is as much a ride into the past as it is a chance to put all of these toys into a single book.

If this succeeds then there will be a companion book that covers the 1996 Shadows of the Empire action figures and vehicles.

Reaction score
Now at 77% with three days to go until the project closes. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/102137316/universe-expanded-kenners-1998-star-wars-action-fi

I'm looking into the possibility of a companion book that focuses on Shadows of the Empire. This would be a separate hardcover -- likely 80-pages -- and if this were to happen I would time everything so that both of the books can ship together. That saves a ton of cash for international backers. (The absolute worst part of my books has been international shipping costs; the prices are ridiculous these days!)

You can find out more about the book at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/102137316/universe-expanded-kenners-1998-star-wars-action-fi

Reaction score
Reaction score
Goal met and now two weeks to go before the project closes. These two hardcovers are going to be incredibly fun to put together. I'll release the free PDFs once the hardcovers return from the printer and the project supporters get a chance to see the contents.

In related news, I got a peek at one of my more recent books and Larry Hama yesterday. Kinda awesome to see someone so important to my action figure childhood with one of my books. Larry Hama and Action Figures Not Included

Reaction score
Thus could be a great series of books. Good job! Impressive, most impressive...

Reaction score
Thus could be a great series of books. Good job! Impressive, most impressive...
Thanks. For sample pages from one of my other books check here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/102137316/each-sold-separately-action-figure-marketing-of-th/posts/1069314 That's from Each Sold Separately, the action figure marketing book I started shipping last month.

This current project ends in a couple of weeks and it shaping up nicely. I'll ship the finished books to supporters in August.

Reaction score
Looks cool. Thanks. These books are a great idea.
I'm still going to assemble that book about the Kenner Mini-Rigs in the future. I keep collecting bits and snapping photos as I have time. Narrowing the focus allows me to give each toy more space than they usually get in books.

Reaction score