BONSAI'S BIG COLLECTION...of little figures 2017 Update! Vintage Price Guide

Reaction score
Hi Walkie, I have actually seen your paperwork focus so I know i'm in good company when I say I too can get excited by '$3 rebate flyers' and 'we really do care' slips...

The comic that came with the Palitoy Troop Transporter is indeed the same as the Kenner. I did some research on this before, no Palitoy logo'd comic exists. Unusually also the little 'movie sounds' slip that sits on top of the buttons bears the Kenner logo so this is one of those rare occasions where Palitoy did not reproduce their own versions of the paperwork.

The battery guidance slip in the Snowspeeder appears in the Kenner version only. Kenner also did a similar guidance slip with red text and illustration for both the Star Destroyer and the Dagobah playset. I zoomed in the pic below for you...

Picture2271.jpg

Reaction score
Oh my eyes! My eyes! What did I just look at????

Mate, that us THE most impressive toy collection that I
have EVER seen!

As I know we are both in the UK, if I'm ever down your
part of ghe country I may just come and salivate
all over your house....

"Impressive, MOST impressive!!"

(Think I will just go sit in my little
collection room and sob a while...)

Last edited:
Reaction score
UPDATE On page 1.

I have added the last few ESB 2nd wave items in the vehicles and playsets section and also slipped the Kenner mail away figures in to the chronology. I've also managed to update a few items and have included them to try and make the box contents as complete as possible.

One last thing is I've tweaked a few of the valuations to reflect current market trends... in other words 'rising'. Good for you if you've already got this stuff but not so good if you're starting out! Anyway, I hope this limelight is helpful in some way to other collectors and perhaps might even provide inspiration on new items to hunt for. As ever, I always welcome comments - please leave one if you like what you see!

Reaction score
New to this thread but still TOTALLY DROOLING OVER MY KEYBOARD like the rest. hahahaha Nice list. I'll be taking some of this off of your hands I'm sure.

Reaction score
Awesome collection. And very helpful to have pictures showing the contents of the boxes. Thanks for sharing.
-Matth

Reaction score
Wow, truly epic collection. Great method of collecting!! Love the Darth Vader TIE Backdrop, that's been on my bucket list for a long time. Well done, Matt!!!!

Reaction score
Picture344.jpg

Updated Dec 2014! Final wave of Empire Strikes Back added, including the legendary Lili Ledy Black Wampa... See page one for pics.:grin: Come back and leave a comment...

Reaction score
Awesome Xmas gifts! Congratz on the Black Wampa.You must've been a good boy all this year :)

Reaction score
Bonsai,

Congrats obtaining one of those elusive Black Wampas, you are a very lucky man. :)

And thank you for sharing your great collection by means of high quality pictures.
One of the best threads on RS, which I enjoy visiting each time.

Cheers

Reaction score
Just checking the diary and it's not 1st April so that Black Wampa MUST be real!

I'd never seen the 3-pack back drops until your limelight. I'd like to pick up the Droids one. Are they rare? Are they hard to get in nice condition?

Reaction score
I'd never seen the 3-pack back drops until your limelight. I'd like to pick up the Droids one. Are they rare? Are they hard to get in nice condition?

I'd say the backdrops are extremely rare, but as a prototype collector your definition of rarity probably differs from mine! I have had an Ebay saved search on them for the past 12 months and in that time the Tusken Raider backdrop has appeared twice and the Cantina Band once, the other two I haven't seen. So not 'once in a lifetime' rare, but perhaps 'once a year' rare. Good luck, i'll keep my eyes open for you on the Droids one.

Reaction score
Bonsai, not only did you manage to pick up a super cool Glasslite X-Wing Fighter with its beautiful light grey colouring and unique decals plus cool box... you also managed to nab an ultra rare LL Wampa you ninja you! :ninja:

Love your collection. So many cool and diverse collectables there!

Reaction score
Wow!o-o... What a collection! I literally fell asleep lastnight in the middle of looking at all these pics! Almost like Disneyland, you need two full days to get through it all!!

HWR

Reaction score
Congrats on these extremely nice additions to your collection, and thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Wow, I absolutely LOVE your black Wampa!! At first look, I thought for sure it was a custom. Congrats on an amazing collection!! :)

Reaction score
Picture491.jpg

UPDATE MAY 10th

I have taken the opportunity to add in a good number of new items throughout the limelight on page one, as well as upgrading some older ones. I have also updated many of the prices to better reflect current values. I particularly like the more 'pacifistic' Canadian variant version of the AT-AT on the Hoth Ice Planet playset - take a look on page one and if you like what you see please leave a comment!

Reaction score
is this price guide up to date?

Yes, it is recently updated. I use Ebay completed listings and what I see on the forums and facebook to try and put a 'ballpark' value on things. If anyone thinks I've got a valuation drastically wrong though then pls do feel free to message me.

It is also worth reiterating that the valuations are based on the actual items shown. If the item you are looking to value is better or worse than the one shown then you'd need to revise accordingly. Condition, completeness and box rarity are the 3 main drivers of $$$. Although recently prices have been moving so fast that it has been hard to keep up and their is no 'set price' on any of these things!

Reaction score
Don't believe everything you read:grin:
pic511261_md.jpg

(and thanks for the compliment Pat!)

That's not a Black Wampa, that's a Trompa - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki :p.

There are unconfirmed reports claiming that a small group of Black Wampas is populating the Northern Ice Plains of Hoth.

Dia3.jpg

The black fur is an adaptation to the extreme harsh weather conditions there, in order to absorb enough sun light to keep the body warm.
As the Nothern Ice Plains are devoid of any other big mammals, Black Wampas probably feed on the frightful Ice Worms underneath the ice. These worms are blind, allowing the Black Wampas to adapt to their present fur over the course of time. Unlike other Wampas which rely heavily on their camouflage white fur while hunting for Taun Tauns.

They're certainly gaining in popularity :awesome:

"always let the Wampa win"
LLvarianthuntershow_zps88a0c0c7.jpg

kijusgstebcic_zpsdd26a609.jpg

Just to reiterate what Joe said, so it is said a couple times here and hopefully people don't continue to believe this, it was a joke a few years ago in the thread I linked to.

There is no such thing as a black Wampa variant

However, I do have one last one. ;) Last night I went searching in the forest for the Black Wampa and had a very close encounter.

wampasighting.jpg

Hi guys I was just checking out bonsai's thread and saw that he just got a black wampa. there are only 2 known to exist. until reading the thread I never knew it existed. are there other production pieces that are that rare?
If you taught that the black wampa was super rare :wtf:, the following are one of a kind o-o:

I'd rather have a green Wampa :)
Looks like there is one available :ninja:.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1086230-14/
so is the black wampa on this thread fake?

ChristopherCannon - Toys :):

Reaction score
Picture475.jpg

UPDATE AUGUST 2015.

The first wave of the Return Of The Jedi toy line has been added for your viewing pleasure!
Also a few upgrades throughout (finally completed my Sears Cantina), and added the rather rare Mallory Light Saber. I hope you enjoy!

Also a reminder that this collection and more will be available to the public in a free exhibition 'May The Toys Be With You' in Canterbury, UK from December 5th - don't miss it!

May_The_Toys_Be_With_You.jpg

Reaction score
great thread , ive already said that but ive got a question . ive been a variant collector myself and I have to say . where on earth did you find that at at commander with the indent in his stomach and a spiked helmet ? ive been looking for one for EVER, it seems like yours is the only one ive ever seen or heard of

Reaction score
The AT-AT Commander actually appears to be a rather cool factory error or some sort rather than a genuine variant. Since having it I have spotted one or two other figures with the strange indent in the stomach, but not sure what caused it or the helmet spike. Anyway, call off the search!

Reaction score
That is crazy, I have been looking for that and a few other variants that Bansai has up on his variant page as well. Well check that one off the list.

Last edited:
Reaction score
yeah that one has been driving me bat@!#@# crazy . I mean ive searched hundereds if not thousands of auctions for months and months , its sorta bittersweet. I thought I found one with blurry pics but when it arrived I was disappointed until I realized it was a variant I didn't have

Reaction score
yeah that one has been driving me bat@!#@# crazy . I mean ive searched hundereds if not thousands of auctions for months and months , its sorta bittersweet. I thought I found one with blurry pics but when it arrived I was disappointed until I realized it was a variant I didn't have

I do that too, search for the same list of figure variants constantly, every week. I have been looking for that one too, I was only looking for the "belly button" dent on it though. I have also thought something was a variant because of the light and camera use to photograph it only to find out I have it, I just add it to the big case of doubles.

Reaction score
I didn't realize how many variants of a particular figure are out there, since I personally do not collect figure variants.

Reaction score
Just a very small update on page one - thanks to Jose Del Toro I have a box for the Lili Ledy Jabba (its not in great shape but it's one of those rarities where you cant be too fussy!), and I have also added both versions of the Jabba Dungeon playset. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Amazing collection. You have quite a few pieces I am jealous of. :) Since finishing my loose figure set I have turned to focusing on acquiring loose vehicles and playsets with their boxes. I have been out of collecting for some time but have noticed prices are all over the place right now. Anyway I wanted to ask how much of a difference in value having things like inserts and instructions makes? Of course for me there is the conversion from GBP to USD as well when trying to get an idea of price.

Reaction score
Anyway I wanted to ask how much of a difference in value having things like inserts and instructions makes? Of course for me there is the conversion from GBP to USD as well when trying to get an idea of price.

I'd say that the order of $ 'value' would flow from top to bottom like this: Still in original shipping crate (can be graded) > MISB mint in sealed box (can be graded) > NRFB never removed from box, stickers unapplied sealed bag contents (can be Q graded) > MIB boxed complete with inserts / paperwork but stickers have been applied and toy has been assembled > MIB boxed toy is complete but may be missing inserts / paperwork > Beater boxed, toy may be incomplete box may be missing flaps / proof of purchase.

Currency conversion from pounds to dollars is simple, just add half again to the £ amount to find the $ amount, so £100 = $150 dollars. Hope this helps and good luck with building your vehicles / playsets collection, it's a lot of fun!