BoboFatt's Collection (updated 9/8/12)

Reaction score
Re: BoboFatt\'s Collection

AH! Children's Palace...those were the days

Great pick-ups Chris! The collection looks great!

Happy SW day!!

Reaction score

Thanks guys. I really do like the thermal detonator too and I'm glad to have Leia's autograph to boot!

Yeah Chris, Childrens Palace was the bomb, red arches and all. I remember having dreams in my 20's of me being in Childrens Palace and finding tons of Vintage Star Wars figures, only I was older and had $$ to buy everything!

Well without further adieu, here is my (almost) completed lightsaber cabinet. It's funny, as I'm posting this, I see a couple of other cabinet/shelf threads have just been posted. Guess a number of us have the same thing on our brains...Star Wars minds must think alike!

The first pics show the cabinet during the day. I also bought a number of do-it lights. I put Velcro that runs along each entire shelf. I have close up pics of the Velcro on the lights. I did this so I can easily move the lights if needed. The lights are not cheap, so I didn’t get enough for each saber…yet. I have more pics with the lights on during the day and night…even one with the falcon lights on.

I like when things turn out exactly how I planned. What do you guys think, better then the old Ikea shelves? Last pic shows the before.

Oh, almost forgot...the pièce de résistance, I think the vintage toy saber I just bought looks great at the top of the cabinet! Little did I know that the toy my mom bought me as a kid would turn into this obsession as an adult.

I've got a ton more room now and I'll be making more custom displays later this year. Stay tuned...

Reaction score

WTF?!

That is an outstanding display for the MR stuff!!! Great work!!!

Reaction score

Thanks to all my overseas friends. I'm glad you agree that it came out well. Funny what a few pieces of wood can do for the look of a collection.

Reaction score

Nice display bobo, it came out great congrats!!!
May I suggest to line up the lights vertically? Give it a try, it should look better IMHO...

Reaction score

GF do you mean putting the lights directly behind the sabers? I'll give it a try.

This post is a little different then all my others. The collection isn't even mine. It's props of my former band. The reason why it's special is because it's part of an exhibit in the Rock n Roll Hall of fame. The exhibit, "Cleveland Rocks", show cases items of NE Ohio bands from the begining of rock in the Alan Freed days all the way to the present. Artists in the exhibit include Chrissie Hynde of the Prentenders, Marilyn Manson, Devo, Bone-Thugs-n-Harmony, NIN, Macy Gray, and my band!

The pics aren’t great, no flash photography is allowed in the muesuem. The first pic is of a welders mask used on our first album cover and the original sketch from a well known rock artist that did our second album cover. My bands items are located right next to Devo’s famous yellow suit and red beehive hat and Trent Reznors keyboard. The second pic is of the description plaque, my band is #84.

Sorry it’s not Star Wars related, but I couldn’t resist.

Here is a link that further describes the exhibit: http://rockhall.com/exhibits/Cleveland-rocks-Ohio/

Reaction score

Nope, the same position but lined up from level to level, a straight line of light when you turn them on!

I I I I I I I
I I I I I I I
I I I I I I I

You are almost there by the way...

Reaction score

It took me a minute, but I think I finally picked up what you were laying down. I had one one each saber to highlight them. If you think I should just put them lined up, how far should I space them? I'm worried some sabers will be in the dark.

Like I said, I'll give it a try...now that I know what you're talking about.

Gianco_Fett said:
Nope, the same position but lined up from level to level, a straight line of light when you turn them on!

I I I I I I I
I I I I I I I
I I I I I I I

You are almost there by the way...

Reaction score

You have a valid point, I also thought about it.....

To lign up lights and give the proper illumination to each saber you would have to redesign the cabinet, your actual choice is the best right now.

Did you think about the option of making it a six levels cabinet, one for each episode? That would be great, I know space is a killer and you have other pieces and maybe even an overall display idea already...

It looks great this way, with different case sizes it would be hard to match a light for each item properly, but like I said you are almost there anyway!

Reaction score

Gianco_Fett said:
You have a valid point, I also thought about it.....

To lign up lights and give the proper illumination to each saber you would have to redesign the cabinet, your actual choice is the best right now.

Did you think about the option of making it a six levels cabinet, one for each episode? That would be great, I know space is a killer and you have other pieces and maybe even an overall display idea already...

It looks great this way, with different case sizes it would be hard to match a light for each item properly, but like I said you are almost there anyway!
Well, eventually I'll have two lights beaming down on the full size maul saber, so it will be even a little closer to having them lined up.

Boy did I ever debate forever about doing a six level display. I still might, but the problem is I have 5 MR sabers from ep2 and 3 and only 2 from ep6...the challenge would be making it look cool with such varied amount of sabers on each shelf. If I think of a way to do it, you might see a change in the display in the future. Let's the advantage of having custom displays.

Reaction score

The latest addition to the family. I thought my illusive concepts yoda looked lonely so I got him a friend. I don't think I'll be able to turn away for 1:1 items any more. They've all been so impressive. I'm just glad that things have slowed down so I can catch up on what I've missed.

Reaction score

Congrats Bobo!

By the way did you finish the X-Wing display case?

Reaction score

Gianco_Fett said:
Congrats Bobo!

By the way did you finish the X-Wing display case?
Thanks GF,

I haven't heard anything from my acrylic guy yet. I haven't called him either. As you can see I've been spending money (I probably shouldn't have) so I'm in no rush...but I'll give him a call today since it's been a while. More pics to come.

Reaction score

BoboFatt said:
I got my Olly set. Man art collecting is just as expensive as prop collecting. I have to say though, I'm really happy with the pieces. Now I'm knee deep in figuring out custom framing.

Those are simply fantastic! Where did you find them?

Reaction score

Very cool collection man and I really dig you building your shelf for the lightsaber,oh and it's nice to see S.Crumb.

Reaction score

MasterAbsinthe said:
Very cool collection man and I really dig you building your shelf for the lightsaber,oh and it's nice to see S.Crumb.
Thanks Obi and Abs, I've since built a similar shelf for my blasters and I'll make some sort of display for Crumb one of these days.

Reaction score

I got another small piece to my collection puzzle - a vintage ESB yellow force saber. Not in the best condition, but neither was the one I had as a kid.

I've been looking for more lights for the rest of my saber shelf and my blaster shelf, but I haven't been successful in finding the right price. Since I just velcro'd them on, I moved them temporarily so you could get an idea of what it will look like.

Reaction score

Hey Chris,

I need help with building a black shelving unit like that. Wanna help a brother out
?

Reaction score

Let me know what you have in mind and I'll give you as much input as I can. I don't know how much I can physically help you. My wife might get upset if your project gets done before all of hers.

ALongTimeAgo said:
Hey Chris,

I need help with building a black shelving unit like that. Wanna help a brother out
?

Reaction score
Vintage stuff

Here's another very minor post that most will probably not care much about, but I like it.

I think I finally have a set up I'll keep for a while. It's my vintage ESB shelf. Top row is AT-AT themed, give-a-show projector, Atari game box, and snow globe. Bottom row is Yoda/Luke themed with the puppet, pop-up book, and three lunch boxes...with Yoda and Luke all facing the front of course. I think the pop-up book and puppet together have a cool cheap little 3rd effect going on.

With the exception of the lunch boxes that I just bought this year, (mine were thrown out as a kid) I'm the original owner for all the itemes. I have some good memories of each of them. That makes it a little extra special display.

Thanks for looking as always.

Reaction score
It's hard to believe that my limelight thread is a year old today. It seems like it's been more like four (only because I went overboard and did four years worth of collecting in the last year). I also didn't realize that I had started my thread on Halloween. I guess it’ll make it easy to remember next year.

Well happy anniversary to my thread and thank you to all my fellow scummers that have visited and/or commented on it. It is fun to share with fans that have a passion for the hobby like I do.

Reaction score
Small updates.

*I finally got enough lights to finish lighting the saber shelf. I still need a couple for the blaster shelf...
*I put on a custom vinyl star wars logo sticker on the saber shelf. It was for another idea I had that I realized would never get finished. I think it came out ok.
*I also bought a vintage kenner stormtrooper blaster for fun.

I should finally be getting my acrylic top for my xwing soon. I post pics when I pick it up.

Reaction score
Thanks sergiu and dinx.

I finally have my finished xwing case. Here are some day time pics and a lighted night time pic for fun. I'm happy to say the case came out just as I planned and at 1/3 the cost of the EFX version. Plus I like having the mirrored bottom to keep consistant with the other SS cases. Sorry the lighting wasn't very good today so the pics are a little blury.

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Sergui, Yes I drilled a hole and fished through the power cord. It's hard to see, but I turned the lights on in the last pic...you can see the engines on in the reflection on the acrylic cover.

JC, I have a couple of WIP pics earlier in the thread. It took me a while to sell enough stuff to pay for the acrylic top, so you have to go a bit up the page.

The base was really simple. I think the bottom was 1/4" MDF. I bought molding for the sides and cut 2x2's to make a lip on the inside of the base to hold the acrylic mirror. The entire base, including black spray paint was under $10 to make. I have a local acrylic guy that made the top and cut the acrylic mirror for me.

All together it ran about $170. A far cry from the prices I've seen for the eFX version.

Good luck...it's a fun project worth the effort.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you sir. I'm gonna make myself one of these. I needed to get an acrylic cover for my Vader McQuarrie and this will force me to get that since I'll need one for my X-Wing too.