Boba Fett Toy Fair Sample Figure

Reaction score
Ok so I need some expert opinions about this particular Boba fett that I have. I bought it out of a toy store in Ohio several years ago and I was told that it was from one of Kenner's toy fair displays back in the 70's/80's and that they obtained it from a Kenner salesman that worked the fairs. The thing that I noticed that made me believe it was possibly true was the fact that the blaster was originally glued to the hand. It was quite clean and very meticulously applied so I knew it probably wasn't done from/by a kid. The other thing I noticed as well was the small indentation in the back of the rocket area, I don't know if this has any play on things but it stood out to me as being different at the time. The blaster looks normal to me so I don't think that really makes much of a difference as well. Based on the three toy fair pictures I uploaded I think it's possibly from one of those displays but again not sure, I'm leaning more toward the Esb mountain display or the Rotj throne room display because I can see the blaster in his hand on those and feel like it is most probable that it's from one of those. I'm just super curious if this could actually be from one of the toy fair displays, so any Boba fett collectors or toy fair collectors please chime in and help me out cause I am not sure what will be found out here. Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is possible but we'd have to examine higher resolution photos of the display. It is possible that a collector out there has the negatives of the photos so they can be examined closer to see if there are any imperfections that can be matched up but if you played with it it will be hard to prove. The jetpack indentation is common on earlier versions of the figures. The original rocket firing molds were retrofitted to be non-rocket firing so I guess that section had some structural issues sooner than the rest of the mold.

Might be worth asking someone like Kim Simmons if he has the negatives or might know who does.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I tried to find better photos of the displays but was unable to myself. I don't have any contact info for Kim Simmons but if someone might be able to help out and contact him then maybe we could find some better photos to judge it off of. I also haven't played with it since this was the condition I bought it in many years ago, it's been in a baggie for a couple years.
As far as the rocket I figured it wasn't anything indicative but just though I would through that out there. Hopefully someone can help out with those negatives so we can figure out if this is the figure or not. Thanks

Reaction score
Hi,

The best way to contact Kim is via facebook these days if you are a member. I am friends with Kim and can let him know about this thread. My friend I believe owns the first shot Hoth trooper from that display which still has some wax on the foot. Not sure if Kim used glue to place the weapons with the figures, was normally wax of some type. Someone may be able to match it up with the toy fair display if it indeed is that one. It will be hard to match it with that picture of course. I will reach out to my friend who has the Hoth Trooper and ask how it was matched to the toy fair display, I am 100% sure its graded so may have come direct from the employee involved in that display.

Thanks

Vince

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you Vince I appreciate that very much. I'll take a look at the figure and see if it has any wax. I don't know if this could be but the glue that I thought was glue could be wax maybe, it's hard so that was why my first thought was glue. I may have just mis interpreted what the substance was, I wonder if I could get that tested to figure out what the composition is. Might be worth a test if I can get that done then. I will try to contact Kim on Facebook if I can find him thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm wishes cichlidjedi, I hope so too. That way everyone will be able to enjoy it!

Reaction score
Ok so I messaged Kim on facebook, still waiting for a reply so hopefully he will be able to help out or lead me in a better direction.
Also this was brought up to my attention, that it could have been used in this 79 toy fair display. I don't know if it would still be the rocket fett at this point or the non rocket fett, so not sure on this one. I think I'm leaning more towards the esb or rotj displays still, but just thought I'd throw this one out there since it was brought to my attention.

Thanks everyone for all the help you have given me so far!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Jawaja, the indentation on the rocket pack is quite common for the Boba Fett figures. Have you seen the toy fair page and pictures on theswca yet? http://theswca.com/images-speci/toyfair/index.html from reading the article i understand the pictures are in the hands of the collectors credited for the images so maybe reaching out to them is a good way to start your search. It will be difficult to match your figure to any of the images, the paint on your figure looks pretty worn and usually checking these kind of things comes down to a matching scrath or some other paint anomaly that could have once been there before the paint got damaged. If the Ohio store is still in bussines it could also be helpful to try to figure out the name of the salesman to ad some provenance to their story. Good luck with your investigation :D

Reaction score
Thank you I have reached out to Kim Simmons and he is helping me out so far. The toy store went out of business a while ago so not sure if they can help me any. I will try my best though. Thanks

Reaction score
Well after a few months of contacting lots of people I finally have some sort of an update of my search to figure out the relation of my boba fett with the toy fair one.
I have had some trouble getting replies from people I have contacted but I did get one helpful reply. They drew out a couple of things on my pictures and said that the mark on the back of the leg of mine looked similar to a mark on the toy fair boba fett. Any opinions on the info I got would be greatly appreciated.

Reply I received below:
"I looked at the images of your boba fett and have drawn out an area on the leg of yours and the boba fett from the star destroyer toy fair playset. If you look at the right leg on the toy fair boba fett it has a small dot near the curving of the leg. When you draw the shape of the curves you can tell the location more specifically. When you draw that same shape on your boba fett the green/blue mark that is on your boba fett appears to be in the relative same spot as the toy fair fett. On the left leg of your fett there is another green/blue mark near the top of the leg. Doing the same as the right if you draw the curves in the molding of the leg you can estimate the location of the green/blue mark in comparison to the toy fair example. There is a dark area on the toy fair example in the estimated area, but it is harder to specifically tell if that paint mark is there. I'm my opinion the toy fair fett looks to share that same green/blue mark on the right leg as your fett does, hope this information helps you in your research. Best wishes and my drawings on your images are attached below for you!"
SmartSelect_20200219-223636_Photo Editor.jpgSmartSelect_20200219-223139_Photo Editor.jpg20200219_222700.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Still looking for opinions on the above info I received. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Reaction score
Bump for more info...
I reached out to several more people but haven't gotten any replys yet. I have tried to find any more photos but can't locate anything out there. If anyone has any photos of this toy fair display that would be great. Also any insights or ideas as to where I should go from here to try and authenticate this boba fett would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Have you considered sending your documentation and the B Fett over to Tom Derby and having him make the call on it? Will cost some money but may be worth it if if its what you think it is.

Reaction score
I just PM’d Tom’s email address to you. He is a fantastic guy. Enjoy the dialogue.

Reaction score
I don’t think you’re going to get a concrete answer without sending it in- it will cost $100 to send it into afa under the tier of getting it authenticated by him.

But maybe with an email you can avoid the cost w him telling you it’s definitely not a toy fair sample. Let us all know how it goes. B Fett vintage market right now is hot!!