Boba Fett - #ROTJ06

Reaction score
The digital renders look better than the MAFEX in my opinion, but I know I'm in the minority for not being in love with the MAFEX.

But....I bought it and it does the trick, so there's no real reason to get this one. It would cost me close to $50 to import it to Japan.

But Hobbysearch and HLJ for example sell Hasbro figures there without the extra import expenses.

Reaction score
At the end of the day, even if we don't buy, the new generation of collectors will as they have no collecting history to feel the hike, and Hasbro knows this.

Not necessarily B. The younger generations aren't collecting this type of junk any more if certain areas are to be believed. That may change, of course. But that's really beside the point.

We're talking about an $8 dollar price hike here. That's a really significant jump in anyone's book for a lump of plastic. I know Hasbro are testing the waters with this, as it were, and they know the likes of Boba will sell. But it's getting very close to limiting out. This isn't just a reflection of difficulties in 2020 in any shape or form.

Over in our neck of the woods (I see you're in Greece), these figures are even more expensive. Here in Ireland, they're around €30 in shops. That means if I see Boba in the wild, I can expect to be looking at nearly €40 for him.

That's an absolute no no.

Reaction score
I'm probably the only person in the stream that couldn't get over the fact that the reflections in the renders are just a lazy y-axis flip. These are digital renders, why not just have an actual reflection?

/CG artist nitpick
Because it’s not an actual picture of an actua figure. It’s a 3D rendering for Fett, and the dark side Rey as far as I can tell

Reaction score
Reading this debate about toy prices is the modern day “back in my day, gas was only 50 cents” my grandpa used to talk about😅

Not really, cos I haven't mentioned anything about "back in my day..."

The issue is an 8 dollar price hike in contemporary terms. It's not like we're comparing something from 1985 to now. The comparison is from 2019 to 2020. In anybody's book that's an extreme jump in price in the immediate term. Not something that's happened over 30 years.

Reaction score

The issue is an 8 dollar price hike in contemporary terms. It's not like we're comparing something from 1985 to now. The comparison is from 2019 to 2020. In anybody's book that's an extreme jump in price in the immediate term. Not something that's happened over 30 years.

Ok, man. Ok.

Reaction score

Agreed. We’re not even comparing back to the start of the line or anything. The line started at $20 per figure and (as far as I’m concerned) is still $20 per figure. A lot of e-tailers are charging a bit more, but Hasbro Pulse and Target and Walmart have consistently charged $20 for pretty much every mainline figure since the line began all the way until now. The problem is the sudden 50% price increase after 7 years of consistent pricing. We’ve seen improvements in photoreal faces and articulation, and Hasbro has compensated by including more reuse from older figures (the AOTC wave, the Clone Wars wave) and re-releasing older figures (15 ESB 40th figures, 6 Rebels figures, 3 Carbon figures, 5 Mando credit figures) throughout the year.

For 2021 to suddenly jump to $30 for a Boba Fett figure simply because there’s no re-use even though the figure is the same size as previous releases and with a fairly standard number of accessories is absurd.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Over in our neck of the woods (I see you're in Greece), these figures are even more expensive. Here in Ireland, they're around €30 in shops. That means if I see Boba in the wild, I can expect to be looking at nearly €40 for him.

Here they're generally around 24.00 to 29.00 Euro. I also don't buy many figures anymore. But if this Boba is all the bells and whistles, I'll pay the €40.00.

Reaction score
What I find interesting about the value conversation is when people discuss imports I rarely hear a complaint. I bought the mafex and it cost $100, 5X what a normal black series cost! I don’t see a 4-5 times quality improvement in the product to warrant that increase.
Especially recently where IMO a lot of Black series figures surpass their import counterparts for example Dooku, Mace, Mando(SHF) etc for a fraction of the price.
In this case, from what I can see, this figure is at least on par with the Mafex if not better!
So I’ll gladly pay the $30 if they deliver this level of quality still at the fraction of the cost of the imports!
Lately Black series has show to be hands down the best bang for the buck!

Reaction score
I love Boba. I've been waiting for an ROTJ version for awhile, and I honestly only expected them to make a few new parts and repaint the ESB version. This new one looks killer, I got no problem with the price.

Yeah, for all the complaining I’m hearing about this guys price, the bottom line is that he had no problem selling out almost everywhere so what’s complaining really doing?

Reaction score
What I find interesting about the value conversation is when people discuss imports I rarely hear a complaint. I bought the mafex and it cost $100, 5X what a normal black series cost! I don’t see a 4-5 times quality improvement in the product to warrant that increase.
Especially recently where IMO a lot of Black series figures surpass their import counterparts for example Dooku, Mace, Mando(SHF) etc for a fraction of the price.
In this case, from what I can see, this figure is at least on par with the Mafex if not better!
So I’ll gladly pay the $30 if they deliver this level of quality still at the fraction of the cost of the imports!
Lately Black series has show to be hands down the best bang for the buck!

I paid $80.00 for my Mafex Boba, and it's worth it, even at $100.00 when comparing what was out at that time.

I agree Hasbro has upped it's game, but not across. There still lazy repaints with a different head.

Still, it's too soon to say this Boba will be the best considering it's only 3D renders at this point. But it's promising, and yes, even at $30.00 it's great value.

But, I'm certain when Mafex launches it's Mando, the benchmark will be pushed up again. Which is great, as it will force Hasbro to learn and push theirs. Cause, let's be honest, if Mafex and SHF didn't do face prints, Hasbro wouldn't had gone down the road.

Reaction score
Yeah, for all the complaining I’m hearing about this guys price, the bottom line is that he had no problem selling out almost everywhere so what’s complaining really doing?

And that's the only fact that matters for Hasbro. And that it almost sold out showing only a 3D render. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
I wish SHF would find some motivation. Their two Fett’s and Din are the three worst 1/12 Mando’s I have in my collection.

They’ve either really fallen off from where they were 5 years ago or Mafex/Hasbro just got that much better. Maybe even a little of both? But at least the Beskar Mando looks decent and has a ton of accessory’s. And the Heavy Infantry Mando doesn’t look too shabby right now either.

Reaction score
For 2021 to suddenly jump to $30 for a Boba Fett figure simply because there’s no re-use even though the figure is the same size as previous releases and with a fairly standard number of accessories is absurd.

It is indeed. But, as we can see, there are people that just don't care. They probably wouldn't care if the price for the same thing went up to $35 in a couple of months time either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reaction score
Here they're generally around 24.00 to 29.00 Euro. I also don't buy many figures anymore. But if this Boba is all the bells and whistles, I'll pay the €40.00.

You mean to tell me you can actually toy shops in Ireland and Greece that sell these figures?!?

The last time I actually saw a BS fig over here in toy shops was around the release of the Force Awakens! And even then they were asking 30 €... I remember seeing Marvel Legends for 45 € the last time they were sold over here... Must have been around the saeme time!

And 90 € for the 12 inch Marvel Legends... Which nobody bought until they were suddenly 30 €... When all of the sudden they were nowhere to be found in the stores...

Any way... Toy collecting over here in the Netherlands sucks...

Reaction score
It is indeed. But, as we can see, there are people that just don't care. They probably wouldn't care if the price for the same thing went up to $35 in a couple of months time either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think that’s kinda the point, people are willing to pay for quality.
This figure, at least in the promo shots, looks to be amazing! Potentially equaling or surpassing the Mafex version which is no small feat!
Again, I payed $100 for the Mafex because it was far and away the best representation of Boba at the time. If this new one is close to that AND 70% less expensive I’m completely happy to pay that!

Reaction score
You mean to tell me you can actually toy shops in Ireland and Greece that sell these figures?!?

The last time I actually saw a BS fig over here in toy shops was around the release of the Force Awakens! And even then they were asking 30 €... I remember seeing Marvel Legends for 45 € the last time they were sold over here... Must have been around the saeme time!

And 90 € for the 12 inch Marvel Legends... Which nobody bought until they were suddenly 30 €... When all of the sudden they were nowhere to be found in the stores...

As for Greece, up until TLJ, all the mainstream toy stores carried Black Series, but stopped after getting stuck with piles of Holdo and Fin still on discount.

Now, only comic book stores, gaming stores and stores specialized in figures and statues sell Black series. Star Wars is quite popular here in Greece still sells well.

I remember when living in Rotterdam back in the early 2000's, I had no issues finding comic book stores that stocked up on SW figures. Though, that was during prequel age.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No one likes price increases. But they’re not going down. Hasbro is making the sales and they’re gonna sell no matter what. The argument that, well a notable price hike will drive off half the market, has been going around since the very 1st price hike. These are niche desired collectibles and the prices have been increasing in most markets for a while. Japanese figures have all gone up consistently and that is the market they’re competing with these days. For me if I want it I pay the price. I was recently ok with paying $25 for Hondo but I won’t pay $30 for Jar Jar.
All that said Hasbro should still be called out for BS with trying to pass off Cad Bane and Todo off as deluxe but Tarkin and the interrogation droid plus a stand was $10 less. If it’s gonna be deluxe, truly make it so.

Reaction score
No one likes price increases. But they’re not going down. Hasbro is making the sales and they’re gonna sell no matter what. The argument that, well a notable price hike will drive off half the market, has been going around since the very 1st price hike. These are niche desired collectibles and the prices have been increasing in most markets for a while. Japanese figures have all gone up consistently and that is the market they’re competing with these days. For me if I want it I pay the price. I was recently ok with paying $25 for Hondo but I won’t pay $30 for Jar Jar.
All that said Hasbro should still be called out for BS with trying to pass off Cad Bane and Todo off as deluxe but Tarkin and the interrogation droid plus a stand was $10 less. If it’s gonna be deluxe, truly make it so.
To that point Tarkin came out about 3 years ago. Comparatively 3-4 years ago the imports were $50-60 they’ve all quickly crept up to around $80-100 whereas black series has remained relatively the same for 7 years.
It’s probably safe to assume if other companies have raised their prices 50-90% that Hasbro is meeting similar cost challenges that require their prices to go up for the same offering from 3 years ago

Reaction score
To that point Tarkin came out about 3 years ago. Comparatively 3-4 years ago the imports were $50-60 they’ve all quickly crept up to around $80-100 whereas black series has remained relatively the same for 7 years.
It’s probably safe to assume if other companies have raised their prices 50-90% that Hasbro is meeting similar cost challenges that require their prices to go up for the same offering from 3 years ago

As I previously said, in my other hobbies, mainly Diecast cars, what I was paying 30.00, 50.00 and 70.00 Euro 4-5 years ago, I'm now paying 50.00, 70.00 and 100.00 plus.

Reaction score

Well, there are limits. Bear in mind that when I say that I can get these figures in shops, they're usually waaaaay behind. We still had Zuvios knocking around at full price years after the film he didn't even appear in. Armies of Finns too.

Normally, I buy online. Either Dorkside or BBTS. Both have been pretty good to me. But there's nothing like going into a shop and viewing the figures before you buy for that rush of kid nostalgia, which is kinda what all this is about anyway.

It's by no means good here, I can tell you. Certainly not in the way that I hear the yanks on this forum have it, that's for sure. But it is getting better. For instance, Forbidden Planet over here got in the entire ESB 40th. That was at least something.

Sorry to hear Holland is so crap for stuff like this.

Reaction score
I think that’s kinda the point, people are willing to pay for quality.

There's nothing to this Boba Fett figure in a qualitative sense that can justify an $8 price hike though. It isn't that great a difference. It looks to be a nice figure for sure. But certainly not one that commands that much of a price gouge.

What's happening here is merely Hasbro upping the price cos they know it'll sell.

Some people don't seem to care about that, and that's fine. But judging from other posts, I can see that I am not the only one concerned about this.

Reaction score
As for Greece, up until TLJ, all the mainstream toy stores carried Black Series, but stopped after getting stuck with piles of Holdo and Fin still on discount.

Now, only comic book stores, gaming stores and stores specialized in figures and statues sell Black series. Star Wars is quite popular here in Greece still sells well.

I remember when living in Rotterdam back in the early 2000's, I had no issues finding comic book stores that stocked up on SW figures. Though, that was during prequel age.
Piles of Holdo? I never even saw her in the stores once.

Reaction score
There's nothing to this Boba Fett figure in a qualitative sense that can justify an $8 price hike though. It isn't that great a difference. It looks to be a nice figure for sure. But certainly not one that commands that much of a price gouge.

What's happening here is merely Hasbro upping the price cos they know it'll sell.

Some people don't seem to care about that, and that's fine. But judging from other posts, I can see that I am not the only one concerned about this.
Not that a great of a difference? Improved paint apps and articulation and a near perfect sculpt that rivals premium imports...

Reaction score
I don't see anything to that figure that justifies an $8 price increase.
As for me, the flame effect and finaly the CORRECT EE-3 are worth the price. That my take 🤪🤪

But I am pretty sure, even with the "I wont buy for this price"-moaning already starting, it will be sold out everywhere pretty fast😉😂

Reaction score
I surmise he's being bought up to resell later for higher when he's OOP, just like what has been going on the last few years. So I think it's more about "investment" these days as opposed to "Collecting", though I'm sure there's those who actually get them for their collection and doesn't worry about whether a product is worth the price or not. As long as it is to them its all that really matters, and they're welcome to it as far as I'm concerned.

We'll see how sustainable it is long term to charge "collectible" prices on action figures, and how many Companies can stay in business doing it. Especially with the current economy and so many people out of work.

Reaction score

I’m not sure how you’ve come to that opinion regarding qualitative measures. By most accounts it’s aesthetically comparative to Mafex which retails between $80-100. Admittedly that’s subjective but that’s all we can go off of because we can’t judge it in hand from a material or engineering standpoint because it’s not out yet.
Regardless of what anyone’s opinion about the look of the figure, when you look at the industry as a whole costs have gone up considerably in the last 3-5 years. I’m surprised Hasbro’s pricing hasn’t kept pace with the market, especially considering the quality of their product (photoreal and improved articulation) has certainly increased in that same timeframe.