Boba Fett 1979 Action Figure Variation Question

Reaction score
I have two of the original Boba Fett Mail-in action figures from 1979. Both are identical colors and markings: C P G 1979 HONG KONG however one has a 'black button' on its back upper left shoulder (on body not arm). The 'button' is solid and will not press in and it doesn't appear that the 'red rocket' comes out. I've looked all over the internet and haven't found an explanation so I would really appreciate any insight.
Thanks,
JP

PS- I haven't figured out how to add photos and will continue trying.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean about a button that doesn't work. No Fett ever had a working button, even for the missile-firing prototypes.

Here's a variation guide detailing most of the manufacturing minutiae that's been discovered.

Boba Fett | Variant Villain

Reaction score
I have two of the original Boba Fett Mail-in action figures from 1979. Both are identical colors and markings: C P G 1979 HONG KONG however one has a 'black button' on its back upper left shoulder (on body not arm). The 'button' is solid and will not press in and it doesn't appear that the 'red rocket' comes out. I've looked all over the internet and haven't found an explanation so I would really appreciate any insight. Thanks, JP PS- I haven't figured out how to add photos and will continue trying.
You could upload the pic to any file or photo sharing site and post a link. Never heard of the type of Fett you're describing.

Reaction score
The photos are in his gallery. It looks like some sort of extra plastic has stuck there as it isn't near anything that would account for flashing? Most likely an error or customized in some way. If someone tried to glue a cape to his shoulder area there and the cape has removed this might be the remnants.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Seems like something that got attached to this figure sometime in the past, perhaps from long-term contact with another plastic figure or part. If it had been present in the mold it wouldn't have been painted because a mask would have had to be made to accommodate that. And it doesn't look like it was painted to me because the edges are so crisp. Looks textured on one end which is how some plastic looks when you break it open which further makes me think something got stuck to it. I feel like if you really picked at it, it'd pop off.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the feedback! I think you are correct that it is something stuck to the figure after manufacturing. I just tried to pick it off and it's not budging. I wish my eyes were better so I'm going to have someone look at it up close just in case before trying any harder. I will update if I learn any more but again I appreciate the help!
JP