Blockading of trade routes

Reaction score
I had Ep. 1 going in the background the other day when I was repainting some figures to have variations in my clone troopers, when all of a sudden something hit me. What on earth could a pastoral world like Naboo be exporting that was such a threat to the Neimoidians? I didn't see examples of industry or pastureland around their capital. We know that there are miners on the moons, as mentioned in Ep. II. So I looked again at various pieces of information I hadn't paid much attention to.

all of the starships on Naboo appear to have a good deal of chrome whereas none of the other ships in the universe seem to. The only other chrome we see appears to be on Droids, mainly high end protocol droids, or lightsabers. Now chrome starships and protocol units appear to be luxury items, but that doesn't mean that they aren't fairly expensive, see how long it took for 3PO to get chrome plating, they saved up for 15 years to plate him. So I think the Neimoidians were trying to get a corner on the chrome exports.

Reaction score
From the Databank at the Official Site:

When the senate enacted a measure that would increase taxation along outlying trade routes, the credit-hungry Trade Federation protested by blockading Naboo. A screen of huge warships surrounded the planet, cutting off supplies to the Naboo. The world's leaders, Queen Amidala and Governor Sio Bibble, were taken captive by the Trade Federation's droid armies.

So ... it would seem that the blockade was more to cut off supplies to Naboo, not to keep their exports from leaving the planet (though I'm sure that happened as well).

Reaction score
The blockade of Naboo was orchestrated by Darth Sidious in order to create sympathy in the Senate for the Naboo, in order to help senator Palpatine rise to power.

The Nemodians were total saps. Even more than the Jedi.

Reaction score
bjlevine said:
The blockade of Naboo was orchestrated by Darth Sidious in order to create sympathy in the Senate for the Naboo, in order to help senator Palpatine rise to power.

The Nemodians were total saps. Even more than the Jedi.
Yp, palps was the senator from Naboo and the Trade Federation did whatever was asked of them by his later ego, Sidious.

The Jedi were very concerned, however, about this situation on Naboo because where else would they get the chrome to bling out their sabers?

Reaction score
knightone said:
The Jedi were very concerned, however, about this situation on Naboo because where else would they get the chrome to bling out their sabers?
Yup, that's exactly what I thought

Reaction score
And Naboo was an easy target. They had no way of repelling an attack of that magnitude, so it was an ideal place to blockade and invade. It's also very parallel to Palps pulling the strings between the CIS and Republic in the Clone Wars. He was playing both sides in TPM as well.

Reaction score
matkatnadam said:
And Naboo was an easy target. They had no way of repelling an attack of that magnitude, so it was an ideal place to blockade and invade. It's also very parallel to Palps pulling the strings between the CIS and Republic in the Clone Wars. He was playing both sides in TPM as well.
Well, whether or not Naboo was an easy target is immaterial. It was the planet where Palpatine was the Senator, so the attack had to be there. Maybe he used his influence over the years to keep them from building any kind of significant defense system, but even if they were armed to the teeth, the blockade would've gone ahead.

Reaction score
sounded funny to me, but almost no one went along with the joke. on the same day I also posted something about how clone troopers are better than stormtroopers because they're copies of copies of copies, like in multiplicity.