Black Widow Movie

Reaction score
Here's my thing on the whole over-saturation argument. Sure there are quite a number of Marvel films and projects coming out yearly, but I don't remotely think that inherently translated to them being devoid of originality. The reason why it's working is rather simple: Dr. Strange isn't Black Panther, Black Panther isn't Hulk, Hulk isn't Spider-Man, Spider-Man isn't Black Widow, etc. Sure they're all superhero stories, but they can span different genres. Winter Soldier is a political spy thriller mixed with superhero adventure. Ant-Man is a heist flick mixed with superhero adventure. Guardians of the Galaxy is a sci-fi comedy mixed with superhero adventure. That is why Marvel has remained fresh. This is why they don't slump in sales but actually even have increased in ticket sales. It's a reflection of interest and consider the mass quantity to which they produce this stuff on top of that, that breaks down to translation: they're well written. People don't care when they're not invested. They're invested in these characters. People don't care to be invested when the work is shoddy, it's badly written. I won't say everything has been perfectly written, but the thought that goes into them (particularly for blockbusters) is visible. Even the sheer amount of acting talent they bring in is unrivaled. Who'd have ever thought the likes of Anthony Hopkins or Robert Redford, even Jake Gyllenhaal who's mostly know for Indie films, would be in a Marvel production? That displays that artists are noticing...hey...Marvel is doing something special. For all intents and purposes, Marvel has replaced Star Wars as THE film franchise. Brushing them all off as one genre, superhero, and thus they're all creatively bankrupt because they're the same is pretty ignorant. Go do a double feature of Dr. Strange and then Captain America and tell me how similar they are. The quick answer is, they're not. So no, so long as the quality of the films stays up, to which I'd argue it predominately has (not a perfect run but almost all are at minimum solidly entertaining films to at peak downright amazing) ...why not three or four Marvel films a year? If they're good...they're good. As Stan would say, "Nuff said!"

As for Black Widow's trailer, well I have to say...for a film I wasn't even sure I wanted at first, I'm totally sold. It looks great thus far!

One cool thing I noticed? The blatant one is Taskmaster with the bow, but in another scene you can see his (though I still think secretly her) shield. I hope they tie this to the character having watched Hawkeye and Cap and studied, I.E: Taskmasters replication abilities.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is rather petty of me, superficial, but how do you guys feel about the Taskmaster costume though? They went more with a sort of modernized version of his outfit, which I suppose is more realistic, but truth be told...I always preferred the "Skeletor" look. It's kind of hard to tell the mask IS a skull. In fact, it seems very loosely a skull. But in defense, skull imagery in comics is sooooo overused. Red Skull, Crossbones, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Lady Death, Skullbuster, Taskmaster, Deathlok (sort of), Reaper, and more. That's just Marvel! Which I mean, I get it, it's a Jungian archetypal fear, the most primal representation of death, but it's so been...done to death. Hah. So maybe they wanted to go with something a bit different. Plus next year, DC has Black Mask coming to screen too, another Skull-themed villain. Though the trailers never show Ewan IN the mask, I assume he will be. But maybe they wanted to distance themselves from that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think you answered your own question when you mentioned Skeletor and rattled off the cliche-ness of it. I'm looking at if from the other side... the costume they show in the trailer is too much like Crossbones in the MCU or the GI Joe suits or just generic bad guy special forces dude.

Let's face it, the villains in the MCU have not been the strong suit. Abomination was pretty good, Iron Monger, Whiplash and the Mandarin twist were all rather average to below average as was Ghost, Zemo, Yellowjacket, and Ultron (Ultron should have been better). Red Skull was underused. Killmonger was pretty good, but I'm not as big a fan as many were. Thanos and Loki were really the heavy hitters.

Put Taskmaster in a Thunderbolts group and I like it a lot. I REALLY want Taskmaster, Zemo, US Agent, Abonimation, and someone like Osborn (as Iron Patriot) or someone like Atlas (or both). It looks like even after the defeat of Thanos we have the Avengers disbanded with Widow, Cap, and Tony gone. Guardians and Thor gone. Nick Fury gone. Hulk damaged. Hawkeye 'damaged'. Winter soldier is still a mass murderer and who knows the status of Falcon and War Machine after insubordination. Dr. Strange, Wanda, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Wasp and Spider-Man are pretty much all that's left and that's not really a team is it?

Reaction score
Yeah villains in the MCU have been hit or miss, largely what's made the MCU films is just the compelling storytelling and heroic performances, in part when it's ensemble. But every once in a while, a really phenomenal villain creeps in there. For my money, the best MCU villains are (in no particular order):

- Thanos
- Mysterio
- Vulture
- Loki
- Hela (I'm sorry, but what a fox)

Those were all phenomenal performances and it seems basically that's the list most seem to agree on when talking the best MCU foes outside of Killmonger. Now I would throw some others in there, but I think most don't seem to deem them as counting. Kingpin/Fisk, Bullseye/Dex, and Kilgrave/Purple Man are also phenomenal. Just no one seems to know where to place them anymore, but all of those are just too incredible of a performance to just allow to get swept under the rug.

Zemo is one of those roles that I actually really enjoyed, he's a very different type of villain in Civil War and just in the MCU at large, but he's just...well the way I put it is; he's proto-Zemo. It's like his first day on the supervillain gig job. I'm hoping that what we get in the Disney + show is more akin to a fully fleshed out comic Zemo. I also liked Ego, but he's made more compelling a character more so for Quill's reactions and dynamic to rather than for his character in and of itself. I also rather liked Dormammu, but he's another that sort of doesn't count. He's barely in it, but when he is there, I thought he was well done. I think I'm the only one who liked Ultron, but I do have issues with him. Basically the plot boils down to them just recycling the end of the original Avengers, minus aliens, plus robots.

But you're right, most have been rather generic:

Iron Monger: He's well done and a decent starting off point, very well acted, but ultimately he's just evil Iron Man.

Abomination: He's...adequate. Nothing to write home about, nor to really complain about. Just evil Hulk.

Whiplash and Hammer: I've always been baffled as to why he was even chosen. Now I do know, ultimately, he's a composite of comic Whiplash and comic Crimson Dynamo. But he was so wasted and I never even particularly found him that threatening. The whole race track sequence never made any sense to me. He's literally fully exposed, he's got a limited reach, and he's blatantly walking out on the track and killing people. How is this guy a threat to Iron Man? How is this guy even a threat to a security guard? Just shoot him in the head from a safe distance! And speaking of, where IS the security? And Hammer is just a dolt.

Red Skull and Zola: One of the better early villains, but again not INCREDIBLY compelling. More just underused. Zola is fun, but his cameo in Winter Soldier is more what I remember him for. That was a great comic wink.

The Mandarin: Without a doubt my biggest MCU disappointment. They took Iron Man's ultimate rival, a wonderful clash of ideologies between old world and new world, spiritualism vs. science, and literally made him the butt of a joke. The salt in the wound was that the Mandarin propaganda videos were SO well done. He was SO ominous. Then the real villain, Killian, was just....cornball loser who just wants Pepper? What a letdown.

Malekith : Perhaps the bottom of the barrel. Did they devote any time to this character at all? He's not fleshed out whatsoever. He's perhaps the most generic bad guy in all of the films.

Ronan: Another rather generic underling type of foe, but he wasn't as egregious as some others. He's just forgettable.

Winter Soldier and Alexander Pierce: He's fantastic, but he doesn't truly count as ultimately he's redeemed. The closet Hydra agents are great, but ultimately, they are just guys.

Yellowjacket: Another captain generic, albeit with fun fight sequences, but like most the MCU the film was carried by the hero and story. Just evil Antman.

Crossbones: I think his role is all he ever really needed to be so it's a fun inclusion, but not really notable as he's just killed off unceremoniously.

Kaecilius and Mordo: He's not bad, actually somewhat fun, just again not fleshed out enough and ultimately he's just a pawn for the real villain, Dormammu, who's in the film for what? Five minutes? And Mordo isn't really a villain, this is more set up for his fall from grace.

The Grand Master and Surtur: I LOVE HIM! LOOOOVE HIM! But ultimately he's just a minor role. Surtur is also a lot of fun, but he's not really the focal-point.

Killmonger and Klaw: This is my most controversial. I like Killmonger, but he's the only one on most best of MCU lists than I disagree with. He's maybe tier 2 for me, but he's not best of IMO. He's just generic evil Black Panther. Klaw was a horrible disappointment. He was great WHEN he was there, but killing him off like that, so prematurely and so undignified, was a "Really?" moment.

Shocker and Tinkerer: Just underlings.

The Black Order: I will say, I absolutely loved Ebony Maw aka Squidward. He was absolutely the stand out of the four, particularly his battle with Strange. However, the other are...kind of just there. They really aren't anything but just a walking action set piece.

Ghost: Was a cool role, but again, a forgettable one. Not all that much impact.

The Skrulls/Kree: Well I'm not particularly wild about Skrull being good guys now, but they were decent before the reveal. As for the Kree being the real villains, again, generic.

I tried to touch on even minor ones, but I'm sure there's a few I'm forgetting. Outside of a select few, I don't think there's really any horrible ones either...but yes, the villains of the MCU have traditionally been the weakest link on the average. Thankfully there are exceptions.

We only have a few real big guys left to go: Doom, Kang, Galactus, Annihilus, Magneto and the Brotherhood, Green Goblin, real Mandarin, and perhaps some others.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree that this probably wasn't necessary, but at least it doesn't look horrible.

I do feel that this was born out of needing a strong Female lead, while also being a popular character and someone we know. The MCU doesn't quite have too much that's interesting going on after Endgame. So they've got a tough job trying to fill Theater seats for the near future, as far as what we're used to.

I'm hoping this has that same vibe that Winter Soldier does. And it will be interesting to see how it folds into the MCU, since it's circa Civil War.

Reaction score
At last my favourite character is finally getting her long overdue own movie, cant await it. Its said it is set right after CIVIL WAR.
Trailer looks promising IMO