Biggs Darklighter - Tosche Station - #17

Reaction score
Re: Biggs Darklighter - Anchorhead Deleted Scene

I feel your pain. It's kinda old news at this point, but I realize you're just hearing it. A lot of us were pretty excited about the 30th release, and that explains the poor sales on last year's discs.

It's funny to me though how much people have complained all the way back to the VHS days how "doesn't he have enough money, why does Lucas keep giving us new version!" (Of course confusing Lucas the man with Lucas the company, but anyway...) And now, it's the reverse. "I'm sick of all these versions, but here was one I really wanted. Curse them!"

How ever, if the Star Wars pattern has shown ANYthing, it's that we'll get a new version in time. Disney movies going out of print, or the Bond movies too, always makes me laugh since you know they'll bring them back in a couple years. Star Wars will always be available, and they're always going to "improve" it every time. SOmehow. Packaging or content, definitely. So...yeah it sucks, but I know they'll put it out in time.

Reaction score

Gavin Bouquet was the set designer for the prequels, so he's not really responsible for any release of the movies in any way...

Reaction score

The_Professor said:
Gavin Bouquet was the set designer for the prequels, so he's not really responsible for any release of the movies in any way...
Yeah, that too suprised me why he was mentioned in this context. He's amazing!

I for one, hope the upcoming release will already be in HD, but since the format wars have yet to be decided in favour of one format, the risk for Lucasfilm is just too high to release something on an uncertain format.

GNT

Reaction score

Ok guys lets not drift off topic...back to the topic at hand - Biggs Darklighter

Reaction score

I think we're kinda talked out on Biggs. Jeez, can't talk about something else for a moment? Segues are forbidden.

I can predict the next fifty posts about Biggs. They will fall into these catagories:

"I like it, I will buy it."
"I don't like it, I won't buy it."
"When is this out?"
"I found one."

Reaction score

okay, I can get this back on-topic and make it about more than just figure:

Anyone ever wonder if the outfit he's wearing in the scene was in fact intended to BE the "Academy" uniform?

Obviously it didn't matter enough for a deep explanation back then because 1] it was deleted anyway and 2] at the time nobody going to see SW in the theater cared if everything onscreen was ever "explained" (like the EU later did to shed light on EVERYTHING. Even if it had been in the film, would anybody have questioned why Darklighter was wearing that or not? I dunno.

But here's my points for debate: He'd just graduated from Imperial Academy and been assigned to Rand Ecliptic as first mate, right? Is it possible he and his classmates were given a few days leave time before they had to report for duty so he packed his actual uniform up and changed into that stylin' white jacket and trousers so he could traveland look like a civilian (with the cape thrown on just so he looked important)? Maybe his Imp uniform was in a suitcase at a hotel in Anchorhead for his super-short stay on Tatooine before he had to catch the next transport out? Or maybe he'd already done a bit of time on the RE and he'd gotten some shore leave from that (we know from the NPR dramatization he'd practiced the salute to near perfection) and that was his civvies outift he picked up in his travels.

The other thing to consider is this: Whereever he was visting home from, he showed up on Tatooine that day as much to see the homeland again as he did to tell someone he really trusted what his plans were. Whether visiting from the Academy post-grad or from the RE, he never intended to go back, he and some buddies were intended Rebellion defectors. If he never got back to the dustball world due to said choice, he didn't want to leave any questions behind. And if he was confessing the plan, there's NO WAY he'd be wearing a uniform from the Empire while talking sedition like that in case anyone overheard his plans. I'm guessing he changed into civvies to stay as low-key as possible while on Tatooine.

Any thoughts?

I guess it doesn't really matter, I'm just waxing philosophical here (no way anyone should think THIS deep about fiction universes
) in an effort to celebrate this Biggs figure and keep it kind of interesting.

Reaction score

Naw, good job and that all makes sense. Since Luke is wearing a pretty similar outfit at the end of the movie, I figured there's no way it's an imperial uniform. So, probably, Luke's ceremony outfit was lifted from Biggs' closet. He already had a (supposedly) dead guy's lightsaber, and droid (believing it to belong originally to Ben), may as well pilfer some clothes too.

Reaction score

I just choose to ignore the EU regarding the Rand Ecliptic as an Imperial vessel... far as I'm concerned, this Biggs is wearing his first mate's uniform and the Ecliptic is just a ship, not crewed by Imperials-with-jodhpurs and all that. I love the EU, but they missed the left turn at Albuquerque on Biggs' history.

Sev

Reaction score

Although I like that they're doing some Biggs figures, the fact that I don't exactly see him as something I would want and the lack of knee articulation will make me pass on him.

Also, shouldn't this thread be titled Biggs Darklighter (Academy Outfit)?

Reaction score

I am excited about this one and I can't wait to get it. I do understand some concerns about the articulation, so I think it is good that he's only 1 per case.

Reaction score

Here he is in compared with his X-wing uniform. I also threw his blaster in at the top so you can see it is different then the standard imperial blaster.

GNT

Reaction score

Very nice, he turned out extremely well!

Reaction score

Thanks for the comparison pic. I had assumed that they used the same headsculpt for both figures, but never really compared pics side by side.

Reaction score

I popped this guy open yesterday and noticed that dye from the cape rubbed off onto the white coat of the figure. It was very faint so I am not to perturbed by it, but I wonder if this has happened to anyone else. ANyway, great figure!

Reaction score

dpeete said:
Here he is in compared with his X-wing uniform. I also threw his blaster in at the top so you can see it is different then the standard imperial blaster.
It's General Lando's blaster!

Sev

Reaction score

Extra? It doesn't have enough. Or not in the right places at least.

Reaction score

Sev said:
I am sure you are referring to his knees, but for a figure as obscure as this one, I am just happy to have him made - the sculpt on this one is pretty darn good, so I am happy with it.

Sev

Reaction score

AmanaMatt said:
Sev said:
I am sure you are referring to his knees, but for a figure as obscure as this one, I am just happy to have him made - the sculpt on this one is pretty darn good, so I am happy with it.
The sculpt is awesome just not the articulation.

Reaction score

It is not super articulated, I agree.....knees and ankles would have been great, don't get me wrong. We have come to expect it on every fig, but that's not realistic. I am just happy to get an excellent sculpt with acceptable articulation.

Reaction score

I think this is the best figure in wave 3. I'm rather disappointed with the others. I think the articulation is fine. Most of my figures are just standing, so I'm not a big fan of knee (and especially ankle) articulation.

Reaction score

Sev said:
AmanaMatt said:
Sev said:
The sculpt is awesome just not the articulation.
I don't believe articulation matters that much in this case he's jus a pilot, if this was a Jedi or Clone/Stormie then yeah SA him!

Reaction score

Knee articulation would have been nice for Academy Biggs. For us old tarts there is a classic phots that has Biggs with one of his foot on a rock with of course the knee bended. It would have been nice to recreate it. However, I am just happy they make the figure at all. So, it's good enough for me. Now I just need to find one.

Reaction score

For those who have this figure already, how easy/difficult is the soft goods cape to deal with? Is it possible to make it look decent without a lot of fussing?

Reaction score

JediJunkie247 said:
For those who have this figure already, how easy/difficult is the soft goods cape to deal with? Is it possible to make it look decent without a lot of fussing?
After the pic I took, I ended up using the water treatment - after that, it looks great. This material is hard to work with until you dunk it in water - then let is sit all day in the way you want it to look, and it should be cool.

Reaction score

I'm debating on getting this. It's nice, but I'd probably be more excited about it if they released the other people in this scene; Fixer, Cammie, Deak, and Windy.

Reaction score

First of all, I'm just glad this figure was selected to be made, this and the McQuarries I think are the figures owing the most to it being the 30th anniversary. I've liked the character ever since seeing the deleted scene photo in the SW Storybook as a kid.

Second of all, unlike many other things this year this figure will probably be fairly easy to get in the stores. I found mine just a couple of days after wave 3 trickled into stores here.

Overall its nicely done, not much else to say about it (haven't opened it yet). I hope it does well among more OT leaning collectors. By the way, the small photos on the cardback on this and the moisture farmer Luke are kind of nice to have, as I said all I had before from the ANH deleted scenes is the storybook photo.

Reaction score

This looks very nice in person (at least to me!) I'll probably give this the water treatment as well.

Reaction score

Can't wait to get this one!

Reaction score

Saw him this morning, but passed for the moment. Really looking forward to getting a few, and after reading the script from the 1979 "Art of" book I just got, I dislike the DARKLIGHTER story from EMPIRE and the EU surrounding the Rand Ecliptic even more, since the full script of the Anchorhead scenes make it absolutely clear that Biggs was NOT an Imperial officer and the Academy was NOT the kinda place that slapped you in an Imperial uniform at graduation, it was just the flight academy whose graduates could get drafted by the Empire.

Anyway, both Biggs I saw today had frayed capes, so that was kinda disappointing, and only one had a really good paint job on the head. It'll be a fun figure for customs & such, and I plan to try a headswap with VTSC Luke as well, much as I still wanna try the part-swap cut & paste between Pilot Biggs and Luke. Looks like the helmet might fit easier on Academy Biggs' noggin.

Reaction score

Got him today! Great figure - knee articulation would have been nice, but it's not really a huge deal with Biggs. I'm so glad that the cape wasn't left out like early reports said.

Reaction score

Its a good point raised about the discontinuity between the story of Biggs in ANH and Biggs in the Empire comics. I prefer the ANH storyline as it just makes more sense for Biggs and Luke to want to go the flight academy rather than an Imperial flight academy. I think there's less room that type ambiguity in a lot of the comic series, though. Anyway, I think the Tatooine/Academy Biggs figure is nice for what it is.

Reaction score

Hey this is one of the first figs I've bought (and been really excited about) in a while, but when I got home and popped him open, his boots were extremely bent. I mean, his toes are pointing up at way past a 90 degree angle. Doesn't bother me too much, just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this because it didn't exactly seem right.

Reaction score

I don't have one, but want one. He looks to me to be a repaint of Ceremony Luke. Is this true?

Reaction score

Ugh would be good if it had more articulation.

Reaction score

I got mine this evening! Looks good overall but with a couple of issues that are apparently not unique:

MosEisleyTX said:
Hey this is one of the first figs I've bought (and been really excited about) in a while, but when I got home and popped him open, his boots were extremely bent. I mean, his toes are pointing up at way past a 90 degree angle. Doesn't bother me too much, just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this because it didn't exactly seem right.
Mine too. His legs are also a little bent (there's a clear gun-holding rubberband around them now), but his feet are to the extreme, and he does not want to stay standing. This is the worst bent-leg-syndrome I've run into since my Saga Admiral Ozzel...

MK17 said:
I popped this guy open yesterday and noticed that dye from the cape rubbed off onto the white coat of the figure. It was very faint so I am not to perturbed by it, but I wonder if this has happened to anyone else. ANyway, great figure!
Mine too; I'd read your post earlier today, so when I opened him, that was the first thing I checked (Thanks!). The stain is on his upper arms, and I'd say it's a little more than faint on this one. I haven't tried to clean it off yet but I probably will eventually.

Reaction score

Biggs Darklighter (Tosche Station) is now added to our Photo Archive:

NICE to finally see this figure! It only took 30 years...;)

Here's both Biggs figures:

Reaction score

Thanks...link fixed.