Biggs Darklighter - Tosche Station - #17

Reaction score
Re: Biggs Darklighter - Anchorhead Deleted Scene

Amazing. Simply amazing. I'm not sure if anyone else is as floored as I am... Hasbro seems to really care what the collector wants this year! Look at some of the figures we're getting this year: Hermi Odle, McConcepts, A well done Super Battle Droid, a SA Jedi Luke Skywalker, a TON of troop builders and now... ANCHORHEAD BIGGS??!?! Talk about wish list obscurity! Mr. Darklighter is getting not one, but TWO figures this year!! That is incredible!

I'm not a Biggs fan. In fact, I might not even buy this figure. But that's not the point: Hasbro is releasing someone who is essentially a nobody (in the public eye) in an outfit many haven't even seen him in! EU even! People who wanted this figure are rejoicing, and with good reason. And with a possible new Jango Fett and 4 LOM later this year, Hasbro is really aiming to please!!!

Bravo!

Reaction score

GNT said:
Not to bad, Maybe Biggs raided Vader's wardrobe when he got that cape
That's what I was thinking. They probably just slapped it on there. Should of did a plastic cape, but they probably didn't plan on him having one at all. But then no one would be able to make him sit!

Reaction score

GNT said:
Not to bad, Maybe Biggs raided Vader's wardrobe when he got that cape
It looks to me like he raided Carnor Jax's wardrobe, since there's no silver chain at the neck.

Reaction score

Weird that this is the only figure we have yet to see carded in Wave 3.

Reaction score

SpecialOpsUnit said:
Weird that this is the only figure we have yet to see carded in Wave 3.
The rest of wave 3 carded HAS shown up in pictures? I've missed that entirely.

off to peruse the rest of the forum here to find those pics...

Reaction score

Okaaaay, I found the carded pictures.

Yeah, wow, I can't fathom how I missed those
! But man, it's awesome to see them on the cards now finally. The more of these different carded charcters we see, the cooler it is that the big-[censored] photos are being used. "Eye Catching" is an understatement for TAC packaging.

Weird though for sure that Biggs isn't among the rest of the carded specimen there.

Reaction score

Nice Vader cape, but I can't wait for this figure..

Reaction score

The art work on this card is great. Not that it is bad on the others, but this one is very cool. I think I might have to get one to leave carded.

Reaction score

Excellent figure! The cape is lame, but using another plastic molded cape will do it justice and will be an easy fix. Nice work Hasbro!

Reaction score

Yeah, definitely a nice figure other than the cape, but I'm sure I have extra plastic ones around that will work.

Reaction score

I think this fig looks utterly forgettable.

Reaction score

Amanamatt said:
MK17 said:
Sidestep said:
Huh?
You are not a true fan!
'Fraid I can see where Sidestep is coming from. I suppose I'll be getting him, can pop him into a Mos Eisley Cantina scene or something, but this is from a deleted scene and borderline EU. That automatically reduces my interest. Add to that he's neither very articulated nor very interesting looking (being a human character rather than alien), and he's not that much more than one of those novelty figures like McQuarrie concepts, Lucas figures, etc., which don't fit as well into my collecting interest.

Reaction score

iamjangofett75 said:
Amanamatt said:
MK17 said:
Sidestep said:
Huh?
You are not a true fan!
'Fraid I can see where Sidestep is coming from. I suppose I'll be getting him, can pop him into a Mos Eisley Cantina scene or something, but this is from a deleted scene and borderline EU. That automatically reduces my interest. Add to that he's neither very articulated nor very interesting looking (being a human character rather than alien), and he's not that much more than one of those novelty figures like McQuarrie concepts, Lucas figures, etc., which don't fit as well into my collecting interest.
I understand - this is a fig that will not be for everyone - and with many loving the SA of many figs these days, I can understand how this will not 'float all boats'

Personally, I am happy to have this one, normally articulated or not.

Reaction score

I will be getting 2 of these. An opener, and one to leave on the card. I planed from the start that this figure will be going on my EU shelf.

Reaction score

I'll probably get 3 of these... may leave one carded, it looks so good! I'll definitely have one for custom fodder though.

Reaction score

Toonimator said:
I'll probably get 3 of these... may leave one carded, it looks so good! I'll definitely have one for custom fodder though.
Yeah, I forgot all about some custom work. Even some pretty easy ones. Like maybe a Has Solo head on this instead of the Bigs. Hey, I said it was easy.

GNT

Reaction score

I love the reds in his cardback, it looks great to me. I just wish Hasbro would've tossed something extra in like a crate or something.

Reaction score

Hm, does anyone have a good suggestion which other figure's plastic cape would work better than this crappy giant fluffy cloth one? I need to do some swappin' if I get this figure.

Reaction score

I am glad that some people are not going to be getting this one. It will make it easier for me to find him. I know most if not all of you are no where near me, but it is a good sign.

Reaction score

As others do, I really hope this figure marks changes to the Original Trilogy DVDs. I really thought this would be the case when rumors were leaning towards a new DVD set release this year. A lot of this got squelched when word came down we were apparently not getting the DVDs this year.

Hmmm...
Dan

Reaction score

baffer said:
Hm, does anyone have a good suggestion which other figure's plastic cape would work better than this crappy giant fluffy cloth one? I need to do some swappin' if I get this figure.
It looks like, in the pic I saw of the cape all spread out and ridiculous, that it has some creases. You can just fold it there, so it hangs straight back. OR, with a very light setting, you could iron it a bit, set those creases more.

I realize a lot of people are excited about this figure. And it does look really good, as do most of the figures in this entire anniversary line (the Luke with moisture vaporator looks kinda crappy though...he'll sell fine though since a lot of people want that vaporator). but what I love most about this wave is that it'll give my wallet a breather.

As far as the Biggs scene being on the dvd...I assume it would be as a deleted scene,and not integrated into the film at all. I feel it was the right decision to not break up the whole introduction of the droids/story that way.

Reaction score

I've dreamt about this figure for years and I love the results. I'm a big fan of the Darklighter family and the NPR radio show.

And that's one of the few deleted scenes in the movies that I really wish we could get back into the movie. I know and I do understand that it would have slowed the critical beginning of the movie down, but at the same time, it would have given some real meaning to the reunion scene in on Yavin IV that was unexpectedly added in for the Special Edition. I've SEEN the footage, I used to own the "Magic" CD-rom that had the "lost" scenes, but I long to see it restored in new glory (or at the VERY least as a cleaned-up spiffy looking deleted scene DVD extra).

Reaction score

IMO Biggs should have as much or more of a chance to be included in any future movie releases then any of those damn
prequel "adjustments".

Reaction score

Amanamatt said:
iamjangofett75 said:
Amanamatt said:
MK17 said:
Sidestep said:
Huh?
You are not a true fan!
I understand - this is a fig that will not be for everyone - and with many loving the SA of many figs these days, I can understand how this will not 'float all boats'

I think this may be the result of a generation gap. If you don't mind me asking, what are the ages of those who find this figure boring? I would think anyone in their late twenties and on should find this a much welcomed figure, but what do I know.

Reaction score

I think this one is going to be a great figure. As for the cape, it is the same as some of the Vader ones. It can be made to be less flowie. Alos, I do not think the sceen that this wa sin will ever fit in the story. It would break up the whole begining of the film. I would however enjoy a cleaned up version for a DVD extra.

Reaction score

MK17 said:
Amanamatt said:
iamjangofett75 said:
Amanamatt said:
MK17 said:
Sidestep said:
Huh?
You are not a true fan!

I think this may be the result of a generation gap. If you don't mind me asking, what are the ages of those who find this figure boring? I would think anyone in their late twenties and on should find this a much welcomed figure, but what do I know.
Nope. I'm just about to hit 30, and couldn't care less. I always wondered what that scene was about when I was little and saw stills of it in the star wars storybook I had, but beyond that...I never cared much. It's not really part of the story as far as the flow, and from what I understand was more the idea of the executives, since you can't have a movie where you don't meet the main character until 17 minutes in. Fortunately, Lucas was able to take it out and prove it worked just fine.

But, it's a cool idea to have this figure, and I'm glad they're doing something so many people are excited about. Not me is all.

Reaction score

Ruadh said:
MK17 said:
Amanamatt said:
iamjangofett75 said:
Amanamatt said:
MK17 said:
Sidestep said:
Huh?
You are not a true fan!

Nope. I'm just about to hit 30, and couldn't care less. I always wondered what that scene was about when I was little and saw stills of it in the star wars storybook I had, but beyond that...I never cared much. It's not really part of the story as far as the flow, and from what I understand was more the idea of the executives, since you can't have a movie where you don't meet the main character until 17 minutes in. Fortunately, Lucas was able to take it out and prove it worked just fine.

But, it's a cool idea to have this figure, and I'm glad they're doing something so many people are excited about. Not me is all.
I'm 24, and the idea is exciting, it's just the reality of the figure I don't find very interesting. I greatly prioritize collecting figures from the films (canon), and then I collect primarily to facilitate the recreation of movie-scenes. In this case, he's right on the edge of being as exciting a character as any. If he were included the 1997 SEs, I must admit my attitude would be very different. He's not, and so he's reduced much closer to the level of being an EU creation. I'm predisposed to dislike EU even at its most flamboyant (super duper Sith lords, decked-out bounty hunters, whatever), so a human EU character in slacks, a white shirt, and a cape is simply not interesting.

Still, like I said the idea is exciting. That's largely why I'm getting him. I'm also a DVD collector and movie buff, and needless to say I'd be immensely happy to see any deleted scene (especially a polished one) from Star Wars! I'm really hoping this figure indicates we'll be seeing such a scene included on the monster Star Wars DVD box I'm expecting this Fall.

Reaction score

Well...like I said, can't really fault a figure that so many people are clearly into. I just wonder if the human Jabba stand-in will be next. Or a Wampa-ravaged Snowtrooper, etc. Not that I'd mind. But I also see that they're kinda grabbing at straws this year, seeing what ideas fly in hopes of prolonging this line more than the next couple years that I think it would take to finish my own personal collection. So, throw some EU out there, deleted scene Biggs, some McConcepts, etc.

Reaction score

iamjangofett75 said:
I'm really hoping this figure indicates we'll be seeing such a scene included on the monster Star Wars DVD box I'm expecting this Fall.
the Digital Bits is one of the most reliable DVD news sites I surf and has proven to be so for the better part of a decade since I discovered it. their "rumor mill" is rarely prints anything that the webmasters don't have a good reason to believe will actually be a reality. And last month they burst that bubble.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
2/23/07

Well... we've got some new info that may crash your Astro droid's OS. And no, we aren't out punking Padawans with this.

You know that mega-bombad 9-disc Ultimate Star Wars Saga box set that's been in the works for a few years now? The one that was expected to be released later this year to celebrate the 30th Anniversary? Yeah... maybe not so much anymore. We've been hearing from multiple sources now that the folks up at Lucasburg were surprised enough at the lackluster sales of last year's Star Wars Trilogy DVD re-run ("Now with Han shoots first!") that they're afraid they might have gone to the Sarlacc Pit one too many times, so to speak. There's talk apparently that the box set could get delayed a year or two to amp up demand for the films on disc again. Don't know how serious this all is, but that's the word that's blowing in the wind.

I just don't get Team Lucas anymore. They release the same DVDs we all already own last year and try to pull the "Hey, we're doing you all a favor by giving you the special non-anamorphic, zero-effort original versions as a bonus item!" and then they're actually flummoxed when they don't sell. What the REST of us know, is that they didn't sell because they were crap, and because everyone is waiting for the damn box set.

source: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

[/QUOTE]

That's a BS reasoning on the studio's part, the Anniversary year is IDEAL for the bigasss archival box set we all have a jonesin' for... but it looks like LFL either has a HUGE surprise in store or else the set we all know IS coming but the wait's even longer. LAME, yes, it is.

I have little doubt that Biggs' lost scenes will show up eventually. Look at it this way: with Fixer, Camie, and Biggs pictured from THIS scene in a couple places on starwars.com and this figure's release, I'm thinking the official site is acknowledging the whole plotline for a GOOD reason and the DVD is the best excuse I can think of. Plus the actor who played Biggs being a C4 guest probably ain't a coincidence (since the extra 2 minutes in the '97 SE is pretty low-key, not enough to dig old Garret up, I'm theorizing)...

Reaction score

I should have added that I'm sure HOPE there's a surprise in store and the BIG BOX Saga DVD IS on its way this year. Gods and Goddesses, I want a set that huge so bad I could drool on myself. (**** much love the Digital Bits for years of great service to the consumers but this is one time I pray they're mistaken)

Maaaaaan, would Lucasfilm really be THAT stupid to NOT put the motherload SW set out for the 30th? Nevermind the crap discs last year and the "poor" sales, this NEEDS to happen before Christmas.

Reaction score

I am with you on the hope that the box set surfaces this year. Is it wrong of me to hope for major changes and additions to the OT to better bridge the two trilogies? I know that angers purists but I have DVDs of the Original Original Trilogy so I can watch that version whenever I wish.

-Dan

Reaction score

Just looking at all of the sites' Hasbro Q and A's, it seems Hasbro is not opposed to visiting the other characters from the Anchorhead scene at some point in the next few years. This certainly seems more promising than some of the definitive "no's" or "not likely" responses we've gotten about other character requests (Jaxxon?). Now I need to go back and take a look at the scene - I don't think I could pick these characters out of a line up otherwise. Still, I want them.

-Dan

Reaction score

Ohhhh noooooooooooooooooo....

I know we're getting off topic, but I feel compelled to respond. Thanks for that Rumor Mill item. The Digital Bits is actually one of my daily stops (along with DVDActive.com), and has been for eight or nine years, and somehow I missed that story.

This is absolutely lousy news. The Bits, as usual, perfectly interpreted the situation. LFL can be so ****ing stupid sometimes. Of course their half-[censored] effort last year wasn't going to sell. I deliberately passed on it (which took incredible will power as both a DVD collector and super Star Wars fan) in expectation that they'd cough up the goods for the 30th. If this is true, I want to slug someone over there. Which one is usually responsible, that Gavin Boquet guy? Steve Sansweet? Somebody like that. Whoever, I'll lay it on him and take the assault charge. It's a six hour drive to San Fran, but I'm up for it.