BEWARE: SCAMMED OUT OF $10K USD by ADOLFO HUMBERTO MARTINEZ ORTIZ "Merlin72"

Reaction score
I also appreciate all the posters in this thread who have remained objective and even mannered, as well as those who have graciously changed their positions on the matter - that takes guts to do. Some other posters seem to be reveling in joy at having backed the right horse before anyone could know for sure. Personally, I take no joy in the conclusion - one collector is ostracized, and another is out $10K. It doesn't seem like there have been any winners here.

Im sorry but I dont agree with the above comment, there has been a winner here...... ADOLFO he has 10K and his figure! Its a disgrace.
I don't know 100% from reading this thread that Adolfo received the money. (I certainly believe that Scott sent it). I agree with you guys in what I sense as your disappointment - I would have preferred to see a resolution that got each party restitution.

Reaction score
I don't know 100% from reading this thread that Adolfo received the money.
He was suggesting that he might be able to refund Scott minus heavy 'fees'. Which were probably duty levied against the 10K sent to him.

Also, Adolfo was trying to justify keeping the money because Scott broke their agreement and didn't 'fly under the radar' as he had demanded.

I would say that both those things suggest strongly that Adolfo got the money, or at least most of the money minus duty/fees he incurred.

I would also point out that in most civil/arbitration/small claims courts, you only need a "preponderance of the evidence", meaning that you can be found guilty if the evidence against you is slightly more convincing than your defense. So even in that case, there is no need to prove something 100% or beyond reasonable doubt.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, folks, Adolfo won’t be joining us again. He had more than enough time to explain himself or present the evidence he claimed to possess, but instead he regurgitated the same tired lines again and again. So, he’s now been banned.

I had no dealings with either party before this event. To the best of my knowledge, I have never talked or dealt with either. Ultimately, I have no idea what happened here. I don’t know where the money is. But I do know that even if Adolfo truly doesn’t have the money, he’s still in the best position to find it. He seems to know exactly where it is, but refuses to give details, because he hasn’t had a moment’s free time in the last 19 months, apparently. That is unacceptable. Scott sent the money. He fulfilled his side of the arrangement, even if it (arguably) wasn’t the exact method Adolfo would have preferred or requested. But Adolfo still accepted the money. Which means that anything which happens as a result is on *him*. His (hypothetical) prior illegalities are not Scott’s concern.

In Scott’s version of events, Adolfo is a thief.

In the few fragments of explanation Adolfo has posted, he makes himself out to be *at best* unscrupulous and untrustworthy, and at worst, an idiot who has stolen from both Scott and the government.

I don’t know whose version of events is true. In neither version of events is Adolfo someone this community needs any longer though. I would not trust him with my money under any circumstances (except possibly if he were my travel agent, as he seems to be HIGHLY dedicated to that profession since it’s consumed his every waking hour for the last year and a half). Since I would not trust him with my money, I can’t ask our members to do so either. I truly hope Adolfo still makes good on his responsibilities however, even if I seriously doubt he will ever come through.

That said, have fun on your latest trip, Adolfo! Hopefully you meet a lot of people just like you.

Lets repeat this post again.

Reaction score
Sure seems like Scott got taken by Adolf. Why he would say he would send Scott's money back sans "fees".? Very sad that someone would want to cheat like that but then again greed and money makes people go rogue. I guess thats possible when you consider the mexican peso is what, 20 cents to the US dollar? So do the math....

Sorry to hear about this whole thing Scott.

Reaction score
The best theory is the transfer amounts tip off tax authorities and now the fees he owes are taxes on the sale...

Reaction score
Sounds like Adolfo got in legal issues and is holding all the money the guy sent without sending the figure. Basically he is saying he is done collecting vintage star wars material, being respected as someone with honor, or be part of any legit collecting community again without being a leper...all for some nickels.

Reaction score
Over 2 years old now and just curious to weather or not this was ever resolved?

Reaction score
Over 2 years old now and just curious to weather or not this was ever resolved?
Read from page 45 onwards. Seller was banned as he didn’t return the money for some reason

Last edited: