BEWARE: SCAMMED OUT OF $10K USD by ADOLFO HUMBERTO MARTINEZ ORTIZ "Merlin72"

Reaction score
On Feb 11, I sent Adolfo Humberto Martinez Ortiz in Cancun Mexico, $10,000 USD towards a rare Lili Ledy figure. The money was wired through my bank, Royal Bank of Canada(RBC). My bank said the payment would take 48 hours to be transferred to Scotia Bank in Mexico and that is also a Canadian based bank and would arrive in Adolfo's account on Feb 13. When I asked Adolfo if the money had arrived on the 13th he said it had not. We both thought it was just a delay. Then on Feb 16 I asked him again and was told by him that the money had still not arrived. I went back to my bank on Feb 17 to confirm the wire and was told that the wire had gone through correctly and that there was no delay or it would have shown in their system that there was an error.
On Feb 19, I was getting concerned because I still had not heard from Adolfo regarding receiving the wire. I contacted my bank again for further investigation to confirm receipt of payment by Adolfo. The bank confirmed that the recipient, Adolfo, has received the wire and the amount is in his account as of Feb 13, 2015.

From Feb 19 to Feb 24 I emailed and sent numerous text messages to Adolfo asking him to confirm receipt of funds. I also provided him with a reference number that my bank had given me to provide to him. He did not respond to any of my emails or text messages. Finally on Feb 24, I received an email from Adolfo stating:

"I've been busy. Going to the bank takes me like 2 or 3 hours of my day , and for now I can't afford taking that time from work.
I went on Friday as I told you and on Monday... making long story short I will tell you what the banks said , in this case 3 things maybe happened here:
1. Money was never sent. 2. An error in the account number. 3.if the money was sent ,All wire transfers above 10k are red flaged by International laws ( specially looking for international money laundry) , in this particular case the money went to the Bank of America ( as it appeared in the bank info I send you) and then it was supposed to go to my account, so making long story short, if the money was sent , US authorities can stop the money during the transaction and investigate each case. They explained to me that in this case , if the money was ever sent, many red flags jump immediately and the money could be held. So there is nothing I can do about it. I'm making this email very short, but my bank told me a lot of things , if the money was ever sent even that american authorities can/could cease the money for a lot of reasons"

This message was very concerning to me because when I had sent the wire on Feb 11, I had emailed Adolfo a copy of the wire receipt right away. I also sent him a text message with a photo scan of the receipt and he never voiced his concerns to me.

My bank was checking their wire department everyday for anything that may have gone wrong, but nothing showed up in error. I was told by my bank that the Bank of America does not hold money just because they suspect something is wrong. It would be unreasonable for any wire to be seized by the Bank of America without due cause and in this case, there was no due cause. My bank requested documentation of conformation from Scotia Bank Mexico that the money went into the correct account that was in the name of Adolfo Humberto Martinez Ortiz. On Mar 18, my bank got two letters of conformation from the Scotia Bank of Mexico that the money is indeed in the correct account, as it should be, under Adolfo's name.

I once again texted Adolfo and requested him to confirm if the wire is in his account because it now has been over a month. He never replied. When I told my bank that the recipient of the wire has stopped communicating with me and is denying receiving the funds, my bank suggested that there could be something fraudulent. I told this to Adolfo right away and he responded:

" I have spent a lot of time on this issue even though im busy as hell, I think its a good idea to file any papers you need, that's if the money was ever sent"

In total I sent Adolfo over 60 texts and email messages and he only replied a few times with vague responses - none of which answered my questions or confirming the account numbers or receipt of funds.

Adolfo stated in his emails/texts that he was extremely busy to follow up on the $10,000 wire transfer. However, I see he is active on the RS forums and Facebook during this entire time - making me think that he is not being transparent with me.

I did not want to come to the forums to resolve this issue, but Adolfo's lack of communication has left me no choice. It is extremely sad that after nine years of trading, doing business and friendship, Adolfo could not respect me enough to communicate and resolve this issue.

I now have official documentation from my Bank and Adolfo's bank confirming the funds are in Adolfo's account. The department manager at my Bank confirmed the money has been in Adolfo's account since Fed. 13, 2015.

Scott

Reaction score
That sucks. I'm sorry to hear about this. It seems that you have all the documentation that proves this to be pure theft. I mean come on, how does it take anyone 2-3 hours to go to the bank? Too busy to check on receiving 10 grand? All it takes is a phone call to the bank. I think that if I had 10k to spend on a figure and this happened that I would spend the additional money to pay him a visit.

Reaction score
Even is if took him 3 hours to go to the bank, lets say for argument say he lives in the back of beyond in some ****** little town and it's an hours drive to the city, and it takes him half his day to do it. Well blow me, but for TEN GRAND methinks I would take a half days holiday from work and make sure I got paid - wouldn't you ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is terrible news scott.sems like he is deliberatly trying to avoid you hoping youll quietly let it go.after 9 years of good dealing with him,he probably thought this is the chance for the big scam.he is a terrible thieving scumbag.i hope you get your money back.if not i hope he never deals anywhere ever again.
Thanks for the warning
Daren

Reaction score
I really do hope there is an explanation for all this because Adolfo is quite well known but the manner of his responses is quite telling IMO. If someone sends you $10,000 you would bend over backwards to ensure it had been received safely or otherwise proof without doubt that it was not there. Perhaps a screen shot of his bank statement from that account?

It might be worth posting this on TIG because he's on there more often. And perhaps get in contact with one of his friends like Ozio to put pressure on him to give you a proper response.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I just can't believe that Adolfo might be willing to screw anyone over. There must be a technical issue or a misunderstanding somewhere in the wire transfer system.
Hope that gets resolved soon pal.
-Matth

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss, I imagine there's very little that can be done to retrieve the money (it's hard enough to recover bank transfers in your own country, let alone another country.) Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing but never send large amounts of money to strangers via a method that can't be recovered, and remember that $10k may 'only' be an action figure to some people but in countries like Mexico that is a life changing amount of money, so the risk of being scammed on transactions of such amounts is far, far greater.

Although this isn't what you want to hear, the advice from me and others will hopefully help others avoid making the same mistakes.

Reaction score
There must be a mix up or some other logical explanation. This is not Adolfo. And I am not saying that based on hearsay or some experience with him years ago. I in fact had a sticky situation with him just around the same time period you are describing (a month and a half or so ago) where I sent him a few thousand dollars for a rare Lily Ledy 12 inch figure. When it arrived, it appeared customs had repacked it in a way that trashed the box (which was already flimsy to begin with). It was clear that it was not Adolfo that had done so and it was not his fault. But he agreed to a full refund without question. Many other sellers would have hesitated, tried to back pedal, or otherwise passed off blame. Adolfo didn't. He took full ownership and refunded my money right away.

Even before that experience I would have described Adolfo as one of the nicest and top collectors I know with a ton of integrity. This experience even furthered my faith in him.

As you described it, Scott, it sounds awful. If this is what in fact happened, then there is no excuse to treat someone like this for so much money. But based on my experience with Adolfo, I would be willing to be that there is something else going on here. Let's give Adolfo a chance to come on as I would be shocked if there is not a legitimate explanation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I cant believe that!! Adolfo is a honest seller and a top notch collector, I have deal multiple deals with him ( for thousands of dollars) and all is always perfect !!!maybe is a misunderstanding

Reaction score
It might be worth posting this on TIG because he's on there more often. And perhaps get in contact with one of his friends like Ozio to put pressure on him to give you a proper response.
There no reason to post this on TIG, as I state before, he is a top notch collector and he will answer to DarthScott here or via inbox and solve this situation,dont make this more big

Last edited:
Reaction score
There no reason to post this on TIG, as I state before, he is a top notch collector and he will answer to DarthDerek here or via inbox and solve this situation,dont make this more big
Oh yeah i'm to blame for making this a big deal! WTF!

If someone sends you $10,000 and it disappears you don't stop communicating with them.

Reaction score
"Too busy at work to go to the bank to check on a $10,000 deposit."

Seriously?!?! 10,000American is like a year's salary in Mexico, isn't it?!?

Reaction score
In 2012, the median salary in USD was $4508.00.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh yeah i'm to blame for making this a big deal! WTF!

If someone sends you $10,000 and it disappears you don't stop communicating with them.
Again this is a misunderstood, a scammer takes all the money he can, and again I have did a lot of purchases recently with Adolfo for above 10´000 usd with no issues, if he were a scammer he just takes all

Reaction score
"If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

Reaction score
Well like i said i hope there is an explanation. But when someone stops communicating after you've sent $10,000 it's pretty poor form. Poor communication makes people think the worst.

It's been 40 days and i'm amazed that a "misunderstanding" can take this long to resolve. I imagine the buyer is probably pretty worried so at the very least this thread will encourage Adolfo to help resolve the problem quickly. I'm sure it's quite simple to confirm your bank details and send a copy of your bank statement for that period confirming that the payment was or was not received into the account. Being too busy is not an acceptable response.

Reaction score
Having a good reputation shouldn't give anyone the excuse to treat another individual like this.

10K and 6 weeks later nothing, I feel for the buyer.

Reaction score
ASSUMING we are getting the full, correct description from the buyer this really stinks. I would be upset also with that much money on the line.

Reaction score
This is too much money to be pissing about with poor communication and complaining about going to the bank. However, the comments directed about Mexico and salaries are very poor and uncalled for. I've had little to do with Adolfo but I hope this gets resolved to the buyers satisfaction as I believe Adolfo is not a scam artist.

Reaction score
I'm definitely sensing an underlying hint of racism from some. Does anyone live close to him/know him personally enough to check and see if he is sick or injured? I don't know the guy, but based on the caliber of people sticking up for him I'd say there's something going on under the surface.

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss man . Never dealt with this guy before however I can smell a strong scent of BS. If I sent someone $10,000 for a figure (or for ANYTHING) they better be able to communicate, nevermind giving me a BS excuse of making long drives to the bank or being busy.

If you weren't committed to drive the 2 to 3 hour drive and/or are too busy to complete the deal, then you should not have sold your figure. Plain and simple.

100% with the buyer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've never had any buy/sell/trade dealings with Adolfo myself, and indeed I have had private disagreements with him in the past, but given the number (and names) of people vouching for him, has anyone considered that this could be a case of identity theft? Maybe someone he knows, or just some random scammer who saw the types of deals he takes part in (on Facebook, here, etc) hacked his bank account and/or email passwords thinking to make a quick 10K? Another side effect of the internet...when someone does something really out of character, it could be because it isn't really them! It probably would be best to give his various friends and acquaintances a chance to try and contact him and see what is going on... $10K is definitely something that needs to get sorted out properly either way!

Reaction score
I've never had any buy/sell/trade dealings with Adolfo myself, and indeed I have had private disagreements with him in the past, but given the number (and names) of people vouching for him, has anyone considered that this could be a case of identity theft? Maybe someone he knows, or just some random scammer who saw the types of deals he takes part in (on Facebook, here, etc) hacked his bank account and/or email passwords thinking to make a quick 10K? Another side effect of the internet...when someone does something really out of character, it could be because it isn't really them! It probably would be best to give his various friends and acquaintances a chance to try and contact him and see what is going on... $10K is definitely something that needs to get sorted out properly either way!

Not a bad theory but wouldn't he start out the response back along the lines of "I have no idea what you are even talking about." It is clear there was some kind of transaction agreed to or Adolfo would be saying WTF not vague communications.

Reaction score
I don't personally know either party here, but Adolfo has been a Ledy guy contributing to the threads on tig for a long while. I just checked his tig profile and he hasn't been on tig since February 2nd. Maybe he has something going on that is keeping him away, but even that doesn't excuse the poor communications. I hope this works out. As far as posting it to tig, maybe see if he responds here in a day or so and if he doesn't then spread it across the boards. Ultimately that decision is up to the op. If the description of the events is true, well there really is no excuse for Adolfo's lack of action.

Reaction score
This is a terrible situation.

A million times worse for Scott of course. He's out 10K. With apparently little or no recourse.

Adolfo....who seems like a genuine collector and LEDY go-to-guy is totally out of line by his BS "not going to the bank" and "too busy to care" attitude.

Im not hating on him at all.....but man up and sort it out!!! $10,000 dollars is just too large an amount to be blasé over.

Im sure Scott is out of his mind!!!

cmon Merlin72. Make the magic happen!!

Darren

Reaction score
Might be helpful if you contacted someone who has dealt with him before to confirm that the email/contact info matches the real Adolfo.

Reaction score
PM me the email address you use for Adolfo and I will match it up with the one I use. Sorry to hear this has happened. If I was out 10K I would loose my mind. Actually if I was spending 10K I would have flown out to Mexico and not played these games. That is way to much money to transfer and not see the items in person. Sorry this is happening Scott and hopefully Adolfo will show up soon to respond.

Reaction score
^^^^
exactly.

When I have paid that sort of amount for a piece,hopping on a plane to meet up in person is always something I'd personally recommend(where possible)and unless you BOTH have a ROCK SOLID history of dealing together over a number of deals/trades/transactions,these things may happen.

But too often we have had "top,stand-up guys" who have had people vouch for them,only to have had said "stand-up guys" turn out to be crooks and thieves.

Im still holding out that Adolfo WILL do the right thing and look closely at this(RE:take the necessary time to get to the bottom of this awful situation)to ensure a positive outcome for both parties.

So that Scott either gets his item(s) or 10k and that Adolfo maintains his "solid,honest" reputation.

Anything else is BS.

Darren

Reaction score
It's been a while, but I bought a pricey mock-up from Adolfo a few years ago and everything went smoothly. It was well packed and arrived quickly. Hopefully, he'll get in touch with you soon. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, please let us know the outcome.

Reaction score
On Feb 11, I sent Adolfo Humberto Martinez Ortiz in Cancun Mexico, $10,000 USD towards a rare Lili Ledy figure. The money was wired through my bank, Royal Bank of Canada(RBC). My bank said the payment would take 48 hours to be transferred to Scotia Bank in Mexico and that is also a Canadian based bank and would arrive in Adolfo's account on Feb 13. When I asked Adolfo if the money had arrived on the 13th he said it had not. We both thought it was just a delay. Then on Feb 16 I asked him again and was told by him that the money had still not arrived. I went back to my bank on Feb 17 to confirm the wire and was told that the wire had gone through correctly and that there was no delay or it would have shown in their system that there was an error.
On Feb 19, I was getting concerned because I still had not heard from Adolfo regarding receiving the wire. I contacted my bank again for further investigation to confirm receipt of payment by Adolfo. The bank confirmed that the recipient, Adolfo, has received the wire and the amount is in his account as of Feb 13, 2015.

From Feb 19 to Feb 24 I emailed and sent numerous text messages to Adolfo asking him to confirm receipt of funds. I also provided him with a reference number that my bank had given me to provide to him. He did not respond to any of my emails or text messages. Finally on Feb 24, I received an email from Adolfo stating:

"I've been busy. Going to the bank takes me like 2 or 3 hours of my day , and for now I can't afford taking that time from work.
I went on Friday as I told you and on Monday... making long story short I will tell you what the banks said , in this case 3 things maybe happened here:
1. Money was never sent. 2. An error in the account number. 3.if the money was sent ,All wire transfers above 10k are red flaged by International laws ( specially looking for international money laundry) , in this particular case the money went to the Bank of America ( as it appeared in the bank info I send you) and then it was supposed to go to my account, so making long story short, if the money was sent , US authorities can stop the money during the transaction and investigate each case. They explained to me that in this case , if the money was ever sent, many red flags jump immediately and the money could be held. So there is nothing I can do about it. I'm making this email very short, but my bank told me a lot of things , if the money was ever sent even that american authorities can/could cease the money for a lot of reasons"

This message was very concerning to me because when I had sent the wire on Feb 11, I had emailed Adolfo a copy of the wire receipt right away. I also sent him a text message with a photo scan of the receipt and he never voiced his concerns to me.

My bank was checking their wire department everyday for anything that may have gone wrong, but nothing showed up in error. I was told by my bank that the Bank of America does not hold money just because they suspect something is wrong. It would be unreasonable for any wire to be seized by the Bank of America without due cause and in this case, there was no due cause. My bank requested documentation of conformation from Scotia Bank Mexico that the money went into the correct account that was in the name of Adolfo Humberto Martinez Ortiz. On Mar 18, my bank got two letters of conformation from the Scotia Bank of Mexico that the money is indeed in the correct account, as it should be, under Adolfo's name.

I once again texted Adolfo and requested him to confirm if the wire is in his account because it now has been over a month. He never replied. When I told my bank that the recipient of the wire has stopped communicating with me and is denying receiving the funds, my bank suggested that there could be something fraudulent. I told this to Adolfo right away and he responded:

" I have spent a lot of time on this issue even though im busy as hell, I think its a good idea to file any papers you need, that's if the money was ever sent"

In total I sent Adolfo over 60 texts and email messages and he only replied a few times with vague responses - none of which answered my questions or confirming the account numbers or receipt of funds.

Adolfo stated in his emails/texts that he was extremely busy to follow up on the $10,000 wire transfer. However, I see he is active on the RS forums and Facebook during this entire time - making me think that he is not being transparent with me.

I did not want to come to the forums to resolve this issue, but Adolfo's lack of communication has left me no choice. It is extremely sad that after nine years of trading, doing business and friendship, Adolfo could not respect me enough to communicate and resolve this issue.

I now have official documentation from my Bank and Adolfo's bank confirming the funds are in Adolfo's account. The department manager at my Bank confirmed the money has been in Adolfo's account since Fed. 13, 2015.

Scott
Scott I don't know you but I wish the best for you. First get his address and then look up the address from the bank and lets see if it's a 3-4 hour drive or not. Lets see where the Lies begin. Nothing I hate more than this BS in the Hobby. When I do deals I have the item in the mail the day the item is paid for. That's what I expect as well. I don't care how many people have done deals in the past with this guy. This is the one that matters to the buyer.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issue.
There is def something off with the seller's story. I have some experience with international wire transfers and verification does not require a trip to the bank. That can be checked online if you have access or by a phone call to the bank by the account holder if you dont. This is 2015, not 1915.

2. An error in the account number
i wont say that's impossible, but unlikely. In addition to the account number there is routing number(s) and the recipient's account holder's name is verified. I had an instance once where the name didnt match what the sender thought it should be and the bank called immediately to confirm before processing the transfer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There no reason to post this on TIG, as I state before, he is a top notch collector and he will answer to DarthScott here or via inbox and solve this situation,dont make this more big
POSSIBLY ONE OF THE MOST STUPID POSTS IVE EVER READ HERE!

Nah,of course not-its only $10,000!!!

Reaction score
Wow...10,000.00...thats no joke, whoever this adolpho is shouldn't they be on here answering to this? This aint a week late on a 100 dollar item. I mean, this is serious stuff which if it goes south could get harry.

Reaction score
I sent Adolfo a message with a link to this thread. Hopefully he will respond soon.

Reaction score

Scott

Hi Scott,

This sounds familiar when I did a deal for some rare pieces back in 2009 with a reputable Rebelscum member Scot McWilliams. My loss was over $7600 and when I confronted him about selling me fake pieces, he suddenly wouldn't return my phone calls or emails or pm's here.
I'd love to be wrong and you get your lili ledy figure or $10k back. It sounds like you already have been dealing with deafening silence though.
I posted what I thought was the most important part of your post above. That speaks volumes.
If you truly have documentation from both his bank and yours that the money is in his account then we should expect a post here making this right for you. If he can't do it maybe there is a chance of speaking to someone higher in the ranks at Bank of America to get your money back.

Reaction score
wow!..WOW!!!. WOW!!.. and more WOW!!! ....

First of all thanks to everyone that has contact me and for all the PM´s ... my private PM´s got to the limit thanks to this issue.

Im glad that many people that I have done transactions in the past have commented positively and they have been satisfied doing business with me ..all positive and in many occasions a ton of of money is involved. ( and I mean a TON of money)
BULLET POINTS
This story has to be told correctly since the beginning, ( I still dont know why he leave out all the important information) like for example , we had done several transactions in the past so I trusted him 100% , ( paid via PP and wire transfers)
We agreed on a 15K price for that figure . ( NO PP or wire transfers fees included)
He said he didnt had the money so we agree on several payments.
I was going to USA during that week to send some action figures and for some other things , so We agreed on the following: a download payment and several payments.
He ask me to bring the MOC LILI LEDY BIB FORTUNA BURGUNDY CAPE and send it from USA as he changed his mind and told me that he was going to do a download payment less to 10K, HE KNEW any amount higher than that will get red flagged immediately ( he bring it to the table) and actually he was the one who told me that ( Im sure many of here have heard about the international laws of money laundry) ..so I did without any payment been made or any download payment as I trusted him 100%

SO I went to USA during those days so he ask me to send him my MOC LILI LEDY BIB FORTUNA BURGUNDY CAPE from there because he "claimed" he already sent 10K even though we agreed on other amount ,, ( I bet no one will send a Ultra rare action figure with out any money been involved) so while I was there he claimed he did the transfer ( even though he knew my bank blocked all my CC and DC since the day I arrived to USA because banks prevents fraud when international charges are attempted )
He send me at least 10 mails and double the messages asking me to send the action figure to him.
Even though he said he didnt had any money he offer me to send me more money and the rest .... that is when I started to smell a rat!.IF YOU SAID YOU DONT HAVE ANY MONEY, that means you dont have money , so why you on earth you would want download payments if you have the money.. .... I GUESS IF SHOULD´VE ASK FOR MORE IF IT WAS A SCAM.
I told him NOT to send any more money and that I would give him the action figure personally or when the deal was settled ( like a regular transaction) ... then he ask me to send it to AFA directly addressed to his name , and of course I told him that I wouldnt do that , I will give the action figure to him first when the deal was done ( even though I have done that in the past for my buyers I have sent al least more than 15 action figures directly to AFA )
When I return to my hometown I went several times to my bank and there was nothing, so after a week more or less we agreed in good terms he would fill out a claim report to get his money back ( as many people have stated in here, when you do a claim report with Bank of America , you get your money back ..... of course that´s if you made it in the first place ) during this time I learned a lot about International laws against money laundry, about Scams with photoshoped documents , and so many other things.

for those who want me burn on hell immediately Here is some feedback for him ..... and is not only one person who had bad experiences with him....
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1051189/

like everyone else I´ve done mistakes BUT i think I have fix them right away. Hope you compare my feedback...

Honestly I dont want to waste my time in this issue any more and Yes im very busy at the moment, I just want to clarify the facts and clear my name.

GREED is the mother of all wars. :)

Reaction score
I'm definitely sensing an underlying hint of racism from some.
Absolutely nothing to do with racism, noting that the average Mexican salary is about 1/10th of the US and UK average salary is a concrete fact and completely relevant. I have bought rare foreign MOCs from all over the world (including Mexico may I add) and always tread with far more caution than I do with a domestic sale. Sorry but sending that kind of money to a foreign country via bank transfer is madness. I found out the hard way back in 2006 sending over £300 GBP to an Eastern European country via bank transfer only for the items to never materialise, that hurt and was a far smaller amount. Since then I've only bought with Paypal using my credit card, or cash in person. Regardless of somebodies honesty or reputation, **** can happen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, what a read! I must say i apologise Adolfo for doubting you and to Dark Del Toro and your other friends whose judgment I doubted. I think when you hear a story about transactions for $10,000 and a seller going cold on communication you tend to feel sympathy for any buyer. But its clear from reading Scott's background and from a few stories friends have enlightened me on that he is a downright dishonest person and I wouldn't trust a word he says. It's still not clear whether he made payment or not but I would now doubt the documents he claims to have from the banks saying it reached your account. If you say it didn't then i think a comparison of your reputations suggests you are more likely to be telling the truth. Further more after reading and hearing about Scott's dishonesty I really couldn't care less if he lost $10,000 anyway. I suspect we won't hear anything back from Scott on this matter either.

Reaction score
Well it seems that Merlin72 can indeed do magic!!!

i apologise for doubting your integrity,Adolfo but the OP sounded sincere and the eye-watering amount involved was immediately raising all manner of red flags.

i hope Scott comes in on this and attempts to clear this up....if money was sent or not/if the banks are in error if there's more to the entire situation than has been revealed.

Im sure the truth is somewhere between the lines and that both parties can solve the issue with neither of them looking foolish or gullible. Or out of pocket.

Darren

Last edited: