Bespin Battle Pack

Reaction score
Good then since you wont buy the bespin battle pack then I will because...

-Darth Vader's right hand is a closed version this time; plastic cape which looks better
-Boba Fett's body looks nice especially his blaster rifle weapon which I hope its not puny soft plastic like the Vintage Style version.
-Bespin Luke looks beautiful. Like I said. It brings back that classic old school Kenner Bespin Luke look back with the yellow hair and bent right arm.

I like the battle pack. You guys don't. That is fine. You're gonna be kicking yourself when you miss out on this battle pack because of the Darth Vader figure with the right hand being closed to hold the freakin lightsaber for once. But I will also still hold on to my Bespin Confessions Darth Vader
Are you 12? ...I refuse to believe you're an adult.

Reaction score
It's when Hasbro pulls crap likes this that makes collecting slightly less enjoyable. :|

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I am sick of hearing Hasbro whine about their tooling costs when we see junk like this churned out.

I really hope Stan's list, which includes Sim Aloo is true, because as soon as that guy comes out, I am done. This antagonistic relationship Hasbro seems intent on carrying on with its customers is getting really old and stale. Clearly, it's our fault for not supporting a line which thinks it a good idea to put 3 10-year-old figures into a 2012 battle pack and wonder why it doesn't sell.

After seeing these two battle packs, it is completely fair for us to question whether or not Hasbro even knows (or cares) what direction this line is headed in. The frustrating thing for me is, I think they really do know their customer base, because these slides were not made available to the public. They knew what the reaction would be, and hoped it wouldn't get out until later. It reminds me of the 2003-2004 Jedi Luke figures. The 2003 action feature Jedi Luke was so horifically bad, they came out with a "blueprint" photo of the 2004 Jedi Luke that, for the time, was much better.Hasbro knew how poorly the '03 figure would be received, so there was immediately an "apology" '04 Jedi Luke on the drawing board, ready to be revealed immediately.

Reaction score
After seeing these two battle packs, it is completely fair for us to question whether or not Hasbro even knows (or cares) what direction this line is headed in.
Oh they know. And that direction is...

KIDS.

"This line" is the Movie Heroes line. Which is explicitly targeted at kids.

As an adult collector, you have already had (and continue to have, thanks to the miracle of the internet) numerous "premium" versions of all of these characters readily available to you.

Hasbro is obviously taking their kids offerings down a reduced articulation model. Which I totally support. The "vintage" line is far too complicated for a 4 year old, and I know because I'm surrounded by them.

5 Points of Articlation makes complete sense for a children's toy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I showed these to some kids and they asked why they have ugly leg joints like my vintage Emperor figure. Not even kids are being duped.

Reaction score
I showed these to some kids and they asked why they have ugly leg joints like my vintage Emperor figure. Not even kids are being duped.
How old? Are they exceptions from the rule from being the children of a collector? Meaning, are they uniquely well versed in the language of the collector?

Reaction score
So far, I actually like what I've been seeing with these three and the light up saber Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan figures and I've been an articulation nut for years.

Isn't it ironic how these limited articulated figures have better, more detailed sculpts than their articulated counterparts? Lately, while the articulation on these figures have been improved, the figures, especially main characters like Han and Luke have looked really lanky, wonky and oddly proportioned. Multiply this problem if a figure has ball jointed hips.

These seem to solve that problem. Sure, you can't pose them, but they do look great, in my opinion. Fett, while lacking in articulation looks better than the articulated versions, especially with the helmet. Vader looks great with that neutral, plastic cape, and Luke's holster, proportions and colors look fantastic (though that hair is a little too blonde for my tastes). An example, the recent Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan with light up sabers. Yeah, they might not be super articulated but their headsculpts and proportions (other than the arm obviously) look a hell of a lot better than the vintage versions with shoddy headsculpts and lanky, odd bodies. Lately these "superior" vintage figures have looked horrid.

It's like Hasbro is going backwards. If you want good looking figures and great sculpts you have to buy ones that aren't articulated. If you want ones that are super articulated and pose nicely, you have to buy ones that, while look like the character, are strange in design (bodies, hands, softgoods).

Maybe they're now trying to encourage people to buy both versions so they have to frankenstein and put together the perfect blend of the two.

Last edited:
Reaction score
are you drunk?

"better and more detailed sculpts than their articulated counterparts"

Whats ironic, is...these figures aren't even released yet. You don't have them, you cant examine them, save for ONE grainy photo showing ONE side of the figures, and you say these are better and more detailed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey, if the battle pack line is going to go for all new, less articulated, sculpts, instead of decade old re- hashes, I'm all for it. The kids (and interested collectors) will be getting something new. Personally I look forward to seeing the new Bespin Luke up close.

Reaction score
While not the greatest looking figures released to date I think the tooling Hasbro used brings back warm memories of the Vintage Kenner line and quite possibly that is what they were going for. like many have said the Movie Heroes line is geared to kids. I like the concept but I'm not going to buying the sets unless thye hit massive clearence.

Reaction score
You're gonna be kicking yourself when you miss out on this battle pack...
Unlikely. I gave away most of my POTF2 figures when better versions were released; no need for me to buy more figures from that era. I'll save my cash for quality stuff. But, you go enjoy them. More power to you. What I like about a figure with decent articulation is that *I* can pose them, not the designer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So far, I actually like what I've been seeing with these three and the light up saber Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan figures and I've been an articulation nut for years.

Isn't it ironic how these limited articulated figures have better, more detailed sculpts than their articulated counterparts? Lately, while the articulation on these figures have been improved, the figures, especially main characters like Han and Luke have looked really lanky, wonky and oddly proportioned. Multiply this problem if a figure has ball jointed hips.

These seem to solve that problem. Sure, you can't pose them, but they do look great, in my opinion. Fett, while lacking in articulation looks better than the articulated versions, especially with the helmet. Vader looks great with that neutral, plastic cape, and Luke's holster, proportions and colors look fantastic (though that hair is a little too blonde for my tastes). An example, the recent Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan with light up sabers. Yeah, they might not be super articulated but their headsculpts and proportions (other than the arm obviously) look a hell of a lot better than the vintage versions with shoddy headsculpts and lanky, odd bodies. Lately these "superior" vintage figures have looked horrid.

It's like Hasbro is going backwards. If you want good looking figures and great sculpts you have to buy ones that aren't articulated. If you want ones that are super articulated and pose nicely, you have to buy ones that, while look like the character, are strange in design (bodies, hands, softgoods).

Maybe they're now trying to encourage people to buy both versions so they have to frankenstein and put together the perfect blend of the two.
I agree with lots of this.

The point about better sculpts is absolutely true. Articulation - at any scale - requires compromises in the aesthetic. They can hide this at the 12" scale with actual clothes for the figures, but the cuts in the buck to create a "super articulated" 4" figure can result in a high degree of wonk. I have never been a huge fan of the SA trend -- in no way do I see that as the logical evolution of the hobby. It has been a great way for Hasbro to continually engage the adult collectors with an unending series of oneupsmanship, but it's driven the costs way up and resulted in some ugly, awkward figures. As well as toys that are a "suck experience" for young kids.

Articulation is not a sacred cow to me, but it is the precedent Hasbro has gotten themselves into over in Vintage, so they're sort of stuck in that paradigm, unless they conduct a huge amount of careful social engineering.

Last edited:
Reaction score
-Where did you learn that highly SA figures are a "suck experience" for kids? What kids? Yours?

This idea that figures have to be one OR the other (for kids Or adults) is foolish to me, but it stems from the idea that generally kids don't don't consider articulation to be of great importance. Hasbro has said this, repeatedly over the years. IF Hasbro thinks they can sell figures to kids without spending money on articulation, then they will stop devoting money to articulation in figures aimed at kids. WHERE did you read/learn/hear that kids actually don't LIKE articulation? Do you realize, that people arent upset BECAUSE hasbro is devoting a part of the line to kids?

Last edited:
Reaction score
-Where did you learn that highly SA figures are a "suck experience" for kids? What kids? Yours?

This idea that figures have to be one OR the other (for kids Or adults) is foolish to me, but it stems from the idea that generally kids don't don't consider articulation to be of great importance. Hasbro has said this, repeatedly over the years. IF Hasbro thinks they can sell figures to kids without spending money on articulation, then they will stop devoting money to articulation in figures aimed at kids. WHERE did you read/learn/hear that kids actually don't LIKE articulation? Do you realize, that people arent upset BECAUSE hasbro is devoting a part of the line to kids?
First hand experience. I have watched my kids and my nephews and their friends struggle with these modern toys. This is ages 3-7 I'm talking about.

My four year old nephew has purchased, with his allowance 8 copies of the Saga Legends Snowspeeder Luke and maybe 4 copies of the Vintage Vader. Because he keeps losing parts. Not accessories - parts. They don't have any of these issues with the POTF2 stuff, and so they prefer those. Without exception.

And I guess we can assume, from the direction Hasbro is going, that they too have some market research to back this up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Their best sculpts to date? Seriously? Reminds me of this debacle:

Hasbro: "We're going to give you the best DSII Luke that we have ever made! You are going to love it! And here he is!"

(cricket, cricket, cricket).

Hasbro: "Whoops! Sorry! We mean, here he is!"

Last edited:
Reaction score
"My personal experienec of reality IS reality for everyone"

Talk about critical thinking. Kids, vary in what they like. I find it hard to believe that most kids PREFER figures without articulation, over figures with them. Hasbro has said repeatedly, its a financial choice. Why spend the money, if the kid isnt concerned.

As for assuming Hasbro has data tha reflects kids DON'T like articulation, they must selectively choose to adhere to it, because plenty of the figures marketed to kids HAVE articulation. Figures havent looked like these battle pack figures since 1999. This is whats so confusing about these figures. Many people are saying these figures are a step backward. What they arent saying is "Why is hasbro making toys for kids?". You're arguing against that point, but thats not what most people are posting about in response to these battle packs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First hand experience. I have watched my kids and my nephews and their friends struggle with these modern toys. This is ages 3-7 I'm talking about.
Again all due respect, but...that's how many kids exactly, out of how many on the planet? ...so, that doesn't exactly make you some focus group expert on what kids want. From my point of view, what I know about kids in general are that they like action figures and toys. Period! My step-son wasn't particular, he was thrilled by Marvel Universe figures. He's a whopping 3 years old. Having a kid-oriented SW line seems counter-productive to me. You already have a simultaneous kid and collector oriented SW line in the Vintage series.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Boba's helmet at least looks to be better proportioned than previous efforts but thse definitely look like a backwards step otherwise.

Reaction score
Anyone who says their digging this is just being contrary for kicks. Besides Boba's helmet, there is NOTHING redeeming about this pack.

Reaction score
Pics up at POTF2.com, through Yakface:
POTF2.COM Forums - 2012 Movie Heroes Battlepacks Wave 2

The figures look horrible. Pass for me.
I just saw this picture and from everyone's reaction, I thought this was going to be a bunch of POTFII repacks or something, so I actually laughed in relief when I saw the pictures. I'll admit...this is horrifying, that Hasbro would actually make this move. But you know what? In an odd way, I actually am taking a liking to Luke. Mainly for one reason: the headsculpt on the Luke looks like the original Vintage figure (which, being 16, I never had). The collector part of me sees this and says "Ugh!" But the part of me that remembers playing with my toys only a few years ago says "Whee-ooh! New figures!" Try to remember that part of you when you look at these figures - the part that doesn't care what the figures look like but are only interested in having new figures. That said - don't buy it if you don't like it, because while this is a cute little novelty idea, I wouldn't want to see Hasbro take it any farther. I may buy it, but only for the novelty. This pack is certainly better than the Naboo one.

Reaction score
I played with SW figures as a kid, for years. I even remember the Star Wars "dark times" from 1985 to 1995, when there was almost NO star wars products of any kind(with the exception of Bend'ums, and a few books/games). I had some of the figures I wanted as a kid, and there were many many figures I never got or saw. NO PART of me, wants my modern Star Wars figures to look like figures I already had, or didn't have. I lived that, I was nice being 8. Thats over. Its 2012, and action figure production has come a long way. I appreciate progression, and how amazing figures can look. Why regress?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh, I agree, we shouldn't regress. But if the kids like SA figures better...hey, Hasbro has said since 2010 that Vintage is for collectors and CW and SL/MH are for kids. This is the MH line. At least they haven't regressed on Vintage articulation yet.

Reaction score
Anyone who says their digging this is just being contrary for kicks. Besides Boba's helmet, there is NOTHING redeeming about this pack.
I said I was digging them and I am certainly not being contrary for kicks. I'm not saying these are the ultimate versions of these figures like Hasbro has said...I don't believe that by a long shot, but they do "look" good. What I mean is, look at McFarlane or NECA's stuff...they "look" amazing, but they aren't really very good "toys". What I am seeing here are almost like miniature versions of figures like those...minimal articulation, but nice asthetics. I think the "ultimate" version of these figures would lie somewhere in between these and the "vintage" figures we have now.

You know, it's kind of funny, people have been *****ing about softgood, removable helmets, wonky balljoints, Vader not being able to hold his saber, etc, etc for years in the "vintage line". Now we get these, Sidious and Maul with plastic hoods, light up sabers on figures, etc, etc, and people are still *****ing. It seems as if Hasbro just can't win. I'm beginning to see why they didn't want that slideshow released to the general public now.

And for cryin' out loud fellas, there's no need to get nasty about these things...whether you like them or not (looking at you jamesanshutz). Love 'em, hate 'em, buy 'em or don't...it's nto worth getting your panties in a wad over one or two battlepacks. It's not the end of the world, nor is it the end of the Star Wars line..calm down for God's sake.

Reaction score
Disappointed it's not the beat up Luke :(

I like the Vader and Fett - might like to add this to the collection :)

Just, shame about the Luke!

Looked again, and Vader has plastic instead of soft goods. Nice sculpt - makes me want it.

Last edited:
Reaction score

What kind of comment is this? Who are you?

I'm not being "contrary for kicks" and I'm sure a few others are being sincere as well. I like the way Vader looks, articulation aside he looks superior to what we've gotten so far in terms of sculpt he also doesn't have that annoying "chain" bling necklace or poorly done soft goods. If his neck were a little longer, it'd be perfect. Fett appears to have the best helmet, the only negative thing about it other than, again, articulation is the waist. Can't really judge it though considering it's a small picture of a prototype that is photoshopped. I'm sure he'll be smaller than Vader and look great. As for Luke, while I don't really dig the yellow hair, the proportions kill the Vintage figure. The holster also isn't bulging out of leg and he doesn't have odd looking hips and a thin waist.

The most important thing is, for the most part, they're in neutral stances. That is appealing. If they were in these weird "action" poses, ala, the Saga AOTC line then forget it.

Yeah, yeah they're not articulated with current standards but I have a hard time viewing them as something god awful. If super articulation and posing is everyone's thing, then just pass on these. To me though, they look fine and I'm sure kids won't complain either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was looking at these again...except for the helmet, Boba Fett looks like a POTFII figure. Vader and Luke are good, though. Articulated or not.

Reaction score
Wow, I'm a little blown away that Hasbro would regress like this into less articulation. Their sculpts all look fine, Boba's helmet looks kinda wide, but maybe that's because I'm so used to seeing the smaller version on figures.

I do like the throwback look of Luke with bright yellow blonde hair, and he's def. the cleanest version of Bespin Luke they could get, looks wise. I'm wondering now if all that shading on the past Bespin Luke was meant to be the "beat-up" look, even though his face was clean.

I'm still stumped on this pack overall.

Reaction score
I was looking at these again...except for the helmet, Boba Fett looks like a POTFII figure. Vader and Luke are good, though. Articulated or not.
Yeah but I think Boba looks big because he's photoshopped into the image. I don't think that's his actual scale in comparison to Vader. It'll probably look more like this,

All I did was scale down Fett so that he's a little taller than Luke and shorter than Darth.

Other than the articulation or lack thereof, they look fine to me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If these were made more 70's vintage-vintage, I might actually buy them. But it looks like they held back some. If they had straight limbs and telescoping lightsabers, I'd actually consider purchasing. Unfortunately, it looks like a cross between 70's vintage and POTF2. No thanks!
I'd like to see how these sets are being presented to better understand what Hasbro's going for here. Maybe it's a new direction marking a kids/collectors split, or just an experiment, or something else -- we don't have the context yet.

That said, though, totally agree with MM's comment above. If these were really 70s-80s vintage takes on the characters, I'd buy the Naboo one (though my appetite for prequel figures in that style is really limited), and would at least understand the idea of the Bespin one. But I don't think the POTF2 figures have the same nostalgia value. These just seem neither fish nor fowl, which is what's so confusing.

Reaction score
I just cant figure out why they spent the money on sculpts and tooling...for a regressive style?

Reaction score
And look at Boba's belt! What the hell happened there? If not for that, I would begrudgingly admit that, yeah, it is a real nice sculpt, articulation aside. But those pouches attached to his legs look ridiculous.

Reaction score
These don't look anything like POTF2 figures. Or Saga, or any others for that matter.

I don't understand the uproar. These look fine. Sure they aren't super articulated but they look really, really good. Hasbro shouldn't be afraid to show these off. They'll sell well being cool main characters, kids will love them regardless, and collectors who aren't obsessed with articulation will dig them I'm sure. They look 10 times better than the Naboo set and that's because of the detail, sculpts and proportions.

If articulation is what you want, there are these. But even so, aesthetically "soft goods nightmare Vader with loose helmet/mask", "deformed, rubber headed Jango/Boba" and "dark gray, garbage suit Luke with wonky proportions and pregnant hips" don't come close the NEW figures above.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay who was it that thought we needed a new Boba figure?

This just doesn't make any sense, why waste tooling dollars on sub-par figures! :confused:
Even if they justify it by keeping BP prices from rising, isn't that basically what repacks are good for?

It just seems like a waste of resources all around from tooling budget to paying factory workers as well as any other costs included in getting these to retail.
Just so in the end almost no one buys them, I guess I just don't get it.