Bespin Battle Pack

Reaction score
I'll jump on that classic color scheme- it looks great on this type of figure.

Aaaaaaaand, just to irk some folks :)whistling:)... before you start going off on how these types of figures are only worth "vintage" costs of $3 or so, consider the fact that in relative terms, that IS what you're paying. If you demand $3 figures to buy, make sure you tell your boss you're happy to work for about $2.75 per hour, because THAT is the reality of that time. You would have to work a bit over an hour at minimum wage to buy a Star Wars figure, pretty much EXACTLY what a minimum wager would have to do today.

So actually, with the simple rules of inflation, a Star Wars figure costs almost exactly the same as it did 35 years ago. And Hasbro (you know, the stupid, evil, mountain of mistakes that they are :rolleyes:) has somehow managed to turn a large portion of the line into amazingly articulated and sculpted figures. That should be commended, but nooooo, everyone just ******* and ******* because HasBLOW didn't make your perfect figure. It's kinda funny, in a sad sort of way. I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro has considered dropping the line just so they didn't have to listen to all the whining.

I, for one, have a collection of Star Wars toys that I NEVER could have dreamed of when I got that Death Star Playset for Christmas back in the 70's. Hasbro has SO many figures that can be considered some of the finest action figures ever made, if they drop some turds beside them it's to be expected and not really a problem.

So that, and the fact that 90% of the personal collection photos that I see show all of these amazingly articulated figures (wait for it...) LINED UP IN NEUTRAL POSES. I just don't understand why the hate flows so strongly....
I wish there was a double- or triple-like button.

Reaction score
We need to start a petition for this.
If Hasbro came up with a line of Kenner style updates on vintage cards as a collector only set, I'd invest in it.
I appreciate the discussion my little image has sparked. But I honestly wasn’t trying to derail this thread into an entirely different discussion. I was just trying to show that the figure had potential if colored differently. I started a new thread in the “Dear Hasbro” forum specifically for discussing the concept of vintage Kenner colored figures.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1080236/

The more I see pictures of this set the more I want it. I really think that Luke looks nicer than any Bespin Luke so far. I like articulation but I am not pleased with the diaper crotch articulation in the current line which prevents them from sitting in a normal position. It will make placing them in vehicles a real pain. The GI*JOE community was in an uproar over the diaper crotch so I’m surprised that Hasbro decided to revisit it. I would rather have articulation like these figures than have that diaper crotch.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Aaaaaaaand, just to irk some folks :)whistling:)... before you start going off on how these types of figures are only worth "vintage" costs of $3 or so, consider the fact that in relative terms, that IS what you're paying. If you demand $3 figures to buy, make sure you tell your boss you're happy to work for about $2.75 per hour, because THAT is the reality of that time. You would have to work a bit over an hour at minimum wage to buy a Star Wars figure, pretty much EXACTLY what a minimum wager would have to do today.

So actually, with the simple rules of inflation, a Star Wars figure costs almost exactly the same as it did 35 years ago. And Hasbro (you know, the stupid, evil, mountain of mistakes that they are :rolleyes:) has somehow managed to turn a large portion of the line into amazingly articulated and sculpted figures. That should be commended, but nooooo, everyone just ******* and ******* because HasBLOW didn't make your perfect figure. It's kinda funny, in a sad sort of way. I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro has considered dropping the line just so they didn't have to listen to all the whining.

I, for one, have a collection of Star Wars toys that I NEVER could have dreamed of when I got that Death Star Playset for Christmas back in the 70's. Hasbro has SO many figures that can be considered some of the finest action figures ever made, if they drop some turds beside them it's to be expected and not really a problem.

So that, and the fact that 90% of the personal collection photos that I see show all of these amazingly articulated figures (wait for it...) LINED UP IN NEUTRAL POSES. I just don't understand why the hate flows so strongly....
What he said.

Reaction score
Well I could understand you logic with inflation a little more if other companies didn't make SA figures at cheap prices.
Granted Hasbro does a better job on the sculpt, but I run across other figures with about the same POA or slightly less around a few bucks less.

And as for posing the figures, can't speak for other but I like to change them up from time to time, so yes SA it preferred.

I'm just chiming in on my opinion of this new direction in articulation, and have no plans to support it.

This doesn't mean I hate Hasbro or think they're evil, I actually love all the great figures they have done over the yeas even though there were flaws with some if not many.

Reaction score
Masterfett, I wasn't trying to single you out on this, it's a sentiment that I've heard from a LOT of people between the various forums, and I posted a "reaction" to the build-up! Sorry if it felt personal, and there is probably a better place for it than this thread...

Man, isn't the head sculpt on this Bespin Boba amazing? We finally get a decent sized bucket for the Fett- can't wait!

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be ironic if this set was a marketing test and it sold like hotcakes, convincing Hasbro that this could be the next evolution (or devolution) of the figures. Let's face it: they've just about reached the point of diminishing return in figure design. Articulation and sculpt quality has gone about as far as it can and there aren't terribly too many figures left to do in the SA style. They aren't going to articulate fingers and toes. So what's next? How are they going to reinvent the line? Cheaper, less-inspired, nostalgia-inspired resculpts perhaps? Or they may abandon action figures eventually altogether since kids are more and more toward video games, etc.

We may be the last of the 1/18 action figure generation, like our grandfathers were the last of the little green army men generation. As we die off the each succeeding generation will have less and less interest in these types of toys. Who knows, maybe the next "action figure" will be a lifesize digital hologram that you control with an iphone.

Reaction score
^ Well, my vote for v-next of the Star Wars brand is a 6", non-vehicle line. I've ridden the 4" road about far as I care to.

I look at Marvel Legends, DCUC and MOTUC, then back at my 4" stuff and just say, "Pffft."

Reaction score
^^
Exactly how I feel. SW and GI Joe are the only 4" lines I still collect, but that's simply because I have no options in the 6" scale.

Reaction score
I have no interest in a 6" scale. None.
Well, I have no interest in 12", Playskool, Squinkies, Galactic Heroes, 2" Unleashed, Jedi Force Battlers, Transformers or any of the other numerous lines they've made. So I just ignore them.

Doesn't mean others don't enjoy them though or that they're a viable business option for Hasbro. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantatio
Growing up on Star Wars, GI Joe, Indiana Jones, Clash of the Titans, Crystar, Micronauts, etc, then 3.75" is my scale of choice. Always has been, always will be.

That being said, I'd be interested in what Hasbro would do with a 6" Star Wars line. A nice, streamlined line with the original 12 Kenner figures to start, accessories, and double-digit points of articulation would be hard to resist. I do prefer the Marvel Legends line to the Marvel Universe line. And the DC Universe Classics figures with 15 POA are nice looking too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Growing up on Star Wars, GI Joe, Indiana Jones, Clash of the Titans, Crystar, Micronauts, etc, then 3.75" is my scale of choice. Always has been, always will be.

That being said, I'd be interested in what Hasbro would do with a 6" Star Wars line. A nice, streamlined line with the original 12 Kenner figures to start, accessories, and double-digit points of articulation would be hard to resist. I do prefer the Marvel Legends line to the Marvel Universe line. And the DC Universe Classics figures with 15 POA are nice looking too.
That's where I was for years and years. Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Sgt. Rock, Dragon Riders of the Styx, GI Joe, etc, etc, etc.

But I flipped over recently.

Reaction score
Same here, I've collected 3.75" scale all my life and really have no desire to change now.
Too much invested to switch now, plus ML scale figures take up considerably more space even though it doesn't seem like they would.

That doesn't mean I'm against a line if there's enough followers to support it, I know that I wouldn't.

I do think the bigger scale has possibilities with better sculpt likeness though.

Reaction score
The Bespin Luke face sculpt reminds me of an Al Williamson ESB comic adaptaion Luke!
Yeah, it really does!

Galactic Hunter has posted some slightly higher res pics of these sets. I have to admit, I am not as wowed by Boba Fett as I initially was, but I still dig the head a lot more than the Evo/TVC Boba. I like the Luke, but not the paint apps on the face..hopefully that will vary a little. Vader is just kind of "meh". Will have to see this set in hand, but I am still kind of looking forward to it.

Reaction score
Luke's face looks hideous. No where is it even close to Mark's face. And Fett and Vader just don't offer anything new in my opinion. I don't feel that there's anything superior about the sculpting at all. Anyway...

Reaction score
^^
Agreed. These looked alright in the first pics, but these new ones really bring out the flaws IMO. Now the sculpts match the articulation.

Reaction score
I still want to see them in person. Awful paint jobs, but I didn't expect anything else. I still think these heads might be salvageable. That obi-wan head looks amazing!

Reaction score
It looks to me like 99% of the problem with the Bespin Luke head is those Whipple-esque eyebrows. I bet someone like Evergrey could make that head look real, real good.

Reaction score
I agree, I'm liking the head sculpt on Luke. They did a good job on the hair sculpt. Redo the eyebrows, repaint the hair, pop the head on a vintage body and I think the stare is pretty much in line for the start of his duel with Vader.

Reaction score
It almost looks like a cartoon version of the figures. Like a renegade Droids figure.

Reaction score
Sometimes these heads look great, sometimes not so much. Seems like we really wont know until we see them on the shelves not moving...

Reaction score

Thank you.

Reaction score
Don't forget that the people who ***** and whine are the reason that we have articulated figures in the first place. However, beyond that people are just venting. I wouldn't take them too seriously. Life isn't stopping for anyone because Tarkin's skirt sucks. The reality is that most of us are in the career world with families and we are working are ***** of, most of us just scraping by. We come to the forums and if something looks ridiculous we are going to comment on it because we are just blowing off a little steam in this stressful circus known as life. The best we can hope for is that Hasbro listens and stops making the same mistake. In the case of these figures, they are opening themselves up to criticism so most of the comments are people poking fun at how ridiculous they are. No one truly is fretting over it. We are just not going to buy it, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If they want me to buy it, then swap out the Saber with the yellow one for the final product.

Reaction score
I cant wait to find these throw back figures! Im going to throw them right back on the shelf

Reaction score
[/IMG]

i think if they painted luke like this i'd deffo pick one up.. the head sculp is really good..... but looks like luke is in his mid 40's not early 20's :p

Reaction score
Aesthetically, I almost prefer this Luke to the Vintage one. No child birthing hips and this actually looks like Mark Hamill. The lack of articulation and cartoon paint job kills it though.

Reaction score
Guys, the Jedi Force line has more articulation than these figures. And that wasn't a joke. Hasbro spent more to articulate the Playskool Star Wars figures than the actual ones

Reaction score
I don't see that this looks like Mark Hamill at all, but I like the figure sort of. If he had a straight right arm I'd like him more.