Benioff and Weiss Star Wars films

ZX3

Reaction score

I was surprised to find no thread for the Star Wars films announced for Game of Thrones showrunners Benioff and Weiss.

According to what Disney head Bob Iger has said theirs will be the next theatrical Star Wars project after The Rise of Skywalker.

Of course things change all the time and an announcement that someone is doing a Star Wars movie is no guarantee they'll actually do it or finish it (in the case of Lord and Miller even if filming has already started).

But I'm curious, especially given how mixed the reception for Game of Thrones final season has been, how Rebelscum feels about the future of Star Wars being handed to Benoiff and Weiss.

Reaction score
I don't know what to think... at first I was all in for it, because they had such a great track record with GoT, until the last season(s), where it became so painfully obvious their head was not in it any longer and they rushed it. Quality in storytelling dropped significantly.

On the other hand, they are not leaning up against a series of books (not that we know of yet anyway) so they can make this their own and maybe that's a good thing - they have shown that they are very capable of bringing a script to life on the screen.
Time will tell, but they sure need to hit a home run with this. They need it, Star Wars need it and so do the fans.

Reaction score
How I feel very much depends on what they do, not to sound trite about it. But, there are a couple of things I am going to be wary of.

1. The last series of 'Game of Thrones'. Now, I haven't seen it yet, but there's a LOT of crap on the web about how bad it is and the general consensus seems to be that it was rattled off too quickly. But, there has also been a lot of geek **** about how the show has been rubbish since S5 and to me, it hasn't. So I'm like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ at the moment and will reserve judgement until I finally get around to watching the last 8 episodes.

2. Because of their 'Game of Thrones' credentials, I'm willing to bet money that Benioff and Weiss will be tasked with trying to come up with an Old Republic story and I just couldn't care less about that, to be honest. That period just doesn't interest me at all.

But, as Disney have effectively destroyed the future of Star Wars with their sequel trilogy, they have to now mine the past even deeper than they have with their "stand alones". They have no choice now. Ep.IX is going to close off any new sequel progression - not to mention that Ridley, Boyaga and Isaac are all dying to get away from this nonsense as soon as their contracts end. So, Rey's story - as insipid as it was - is over after December 2019. This means that for any new sequel, Disney will have to come up with completely new characters and a completely new story, which they've proven bad at doing for Star Wars. So, they'll go back to the EU well and poach from that. I think we might even see a Darth Revan story, which will probably please some fans.

So, at the moment, I am up in the air about Benioff and Weiss's involvement. But, I'm also cautiously optimistic too in some ways. They've proven that they can produce serious fantasy aimed at an adult audience and if they can channel some of that, their Star Wars might be of some worth.

In any case, at least it's not Rian or JJ. So, there's that.

Reaction score
But, as Disney have effectively destroyed the future of Star Wars with their sequel trilogy, they have to now mine the past even deeper than they have with their "stand alones". They have no choice now..
I thought the whole message of the ST was to bury the past, kill it if need be. :confused:

But, as Disney have effectively destroyed the future of Star Wars with their sequel trilogy, they have to now mine the past even deeper than they have with their "stand alones". They have no choice now. Ep.IX is going to close off any new sequel progression - not to mention that Ridley, Boyaga and Isaac are all dying to get away from this nonsense as soon as their contracts end. So, Rey's story - as insipid as it was - is over after December 2019. This means that for any new sequel, Disney will have to come up with completely new characters and a completely new story, which they've proven bad at doing for Star Wars.

Sounds like they painted themselves into a corner and the only way out is to.......................REBOOT the ST and start from scratch.;)

But seriously, I'm not sure what to think of these upcoming films from B&W. I'm willing to give them a chance and all, but it seems to me that if they do a KOTOR type of thing, we'll see a bunch of Jedi and Sith jumping around and fighting with lightsabers, like we saw to an extent in the PT (bunch of Jedi jumping around with lightsabers) and to be honest, they really could have given us a bunch of Jedi jumping around with lightsabers fighting another group of dark side users in the ST, but they decided to basically kill off almost every Jedi Luke had trained so we could go back to a couple of people with force powers who were jumping around with lightsabers, but stuck in a really bad story.

Obviously Disney won't reboot the ST within the next 10 years because that would just be admitting that the ST wasn't what they wanted. However, if they ever did reboot the ST, then I'm sure most of the OT actors would not be able to play their parts or might not be with us anymore.

Reaction score
1. The last series of 'Game of Thrones'. Now, I haven't seen it yet, but there's a LOT of crap on the web about how bad it is and the general consensus seems to be that it was rattled off too quickly. But, there has also been a lot of geek **** about how the show has been rubbish since S5 and to me, it hasn't. So I'm like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ at the moment and will reserve judgement until I finally get around to watching the last 8 episodes.
the fans were upset about season 8 because...
  Spoiler:  
they wanted to see Dany get the iron throne. but these "fans" were not paying attention, back in seasons 1-3.
when Bran became the three-eyed raven, it was all over but the crying. Bran became the counter/nemesis/antithesis of the Night King.
and the "Real War" was with the Night King.
this means: there's only TWO ways this thing could end: either the Night King Wins the Iron Throne -- or the "Anti-Night-King" wins the Iron Throne.
(it was painfully obvious that Bran would get the Iron Throne, back in season 3 -- GoT was about LIFE v. DEATH ; not "Dany v. Cersie" ROFL!!)

ie: the main villain of GoT was the Night King. not Cersie.
and the antithesis of the Night King was Bran. not Dany.
-->it was INEVITABLE that Bran would sit on the throne.

^^ 90% of the fanbase flipped their wigs over this SIMPLE fact....
because 90% of the fanbase, wasn't paying attention. :p LOL

^^ I don't think the last season was rattled off too quickly. it ended, as intended.
I do think that B&W spent WAY too much time (with the OTHER seven seasons) focusing on the war in westeros,
and not enough time focusing on "Bran v. Night King".

result: when it came to the endgame, the audience thought this series was all about "Dany v Cersie" --- hence the crushed expectations :\

end of day: if B&W can stick to the point (and NOT get distracted by seven-seasons-of-rambling-narrative that goes off-base and leaves the "Villain's Nemesis" stuck in a cave under a tree with NO story arc of his own) then they will do fine.

and yes. we will see "Medieval Star Wars"

2. Because of their 'Game of Thrones' credentials, I'm willing to bet money that Benioff and Weiss will be tasked with trying to come up with an Old Republic story and I just couldn't care less about that, to be honest. That period just doesn't interest me at all.
it doesn't interest me either. :\

Last edited:
Reaction score
the fans were upset about season 8 because...

^^ I don't think the last season was rattled off too quickly. it ended, as intended.
I do think that B&W spent WAY too much time (with the OTHER seven seasons) focusing on the war in westeros,
and not enough time focusing on "Bran v. Night King".

result: when it came to the endgame, the audience thought this series was all about "Dany v Cersie" --- hence the crushed expectations :\
I'm glad somebody else understood and enjoyed the last seasons of GOT.
I saw the inevitable ending early on as well.

Because of this, I am very looking forward to B&W Star Wars trilogy (as long as Ruin Johnson has nothing to do with it).
And by the sounds of it, KK will no longer be in charge at LFL when it eventually comes out as well.
The two destroyers of Star Wars who poisoned and killed Star Wars will be gone...

...so there is hope.

Reaction score
It's hard to say when we know nothing about it. They're not going to be able to rely on nudity and *** scenes like they could get away with in Game of Thrones and they won't have books to fall back on to do most of the writing for them.

ZX3

Reaction score
I was disappointed by the announcement just because it seemed like an overly cautious way to manage the Star Wars brand with a seemingly safe pick (at the time of the announcement at any rate- who knows now).
I'd rather see more surprising and creative choices.

But for me the real red flag surrounding D&D that made me wary of them for Star Wars was the announcement of the now cancelled "Confederate" project they planned for HBO.

I don't think there is a way to do a speculative history South wins the Civil War show that isn't thoroughly disgusting, but even if there was some way to do it and not be reprehensible I don't think these guys are the voices for that.

Maybe they'll work those ideas into Star Wars now. They can call it "The Sith Shall Rise Again."

Reaction score
I was disappointed by the announcement just because it seemed like an overly cautious way to manage the Star Wars brand with a seemingly safe pick (at the time of the announcement at any rate- who knows now).
I'd rather see more surprising and creative choices.

But for me the real red flag surrounding D&D that made me wary of them for Star Wars was the announcement of the now cancelled "Confederate" project they planned for HBO.

I don't think there is a way to do a speculative history South wins the Civil War show that isn't thoroughly disgusting, but even if there was some way to do it and not be reprehensible I don't think these guys are the voices for that.

Maybe they'll work those ideas into Star Wars now. They can call it "The Sith Shall Rise Again."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.S.A.:_The_Confederate_States_of_America

Reaction score
What do either of them know about Action Figures? Kidding aside, I can just see Netflix rates going up again either in 20 or 21 because of this. Also, won't this mean they'll be pretty busy doing this series and all the other projects stated? I hope the Star Wars project doesn't suffer be them spreading themselves too thin.

Reaction score
What do either of them know about Action Figures? Kidding aside, I can just see Netflix rates going up again either in 20 or 21 because of this. Also, won't this mean they'll be pretty busy doing this series and all the other projects stated? I hope the Star Wars project doesn't suffer be them spreading themselves too thin.
Netflix seems intent on spending themselves out of business

Reaction score
Thank the maker. I was initially looking forward to whatever they had planned but after the last couple seasons of GoT it's clear they cannot come up with quality NEW material. They can adapt previously written stuff for TV though. One of them even wrote the story or script for the latest Will Smith dumpster fire in theatres right now.

Good riddance. Now we just need confirmation that RJ "quit" Star Wars too.

Reaction score
Well...be that as it may...TLJ made a ton of $$$, some fans liked it. And if Rian departs, the haters will still have Disney to blame for everything past, present & future. Getting rid of Rian doesn’t do anything, especially in lue of the rave reviews his new movie is getting.
Thank the maker. I was initially looking forward to whatever they had planned but after the last couple seasons of GoT it's clear they cannot come up with quality NEW material. They can adapt previously written stuff for TV though. One of them even wrote the story or script for the latest Will Smith dumpster fire in theatres right now.

Good riddance. Now we just need confirmation that RJ "quit" Star Wars too.

Reaction score
Well...be that as it may...TLJ made a ton of $$$, some fans liked it. And if Rian departs, the haters will still have Disney to blame for everything past, present & future. Getting rid of Rian doesn’t do anything, especially in lue of the rave reviews his new movie is getting.

The problem with RJ, though, is that TLJ split the fandom. The controversy surrounding his "ideas" of what SW is, is not something Disney really wants to have in a new round of SW films. He may be good in other areas, but if you have a large portion of SW fandom ready to "boycott" anything he touches in the SW universe, that may make you think twice about actually having him write another SW films or trilogy.

I think Disney just doesn't want to rock the ST boat until after TROS has made its run in cinemas. I'm sure some time in 2020 there'll be an announcement that they decided to part ways with RJ.

Reaction score
Apparently they more or less confirmed they didn't know wth they were doing with GoT and actually were somewhat surprised they got the gig. ..
Fake it till you make it (or get exposed?)