Bastila Shan - 2009 Fan's Choice Winner - VC69

Reaction score
2009 Hasbro Star Wars Fans' Choice Poll: And The Winner Is...

The winner is at long last revealed: BASTILA SHAN from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic!

According to the article, she will hit shelves in fall 2011.
smile.gif

The winning figures were (in order) Jocast Nu, Darth Cadeus, Darth Plageius, and Jaxxon!

These figures however, have not been confirmed at this time.

Reaction score
Re: FANS\' CHOICE FIGURE WINNER: Bastila Shan!

If Jocasta had to lose, at least she lost to another good character. Definitely adding her to my watch list.

Reaction score

She won? Lame. I don't care in the least.

I'm disappointed at the Top 5, severely disappointed.

Reaction score

I'm going to get in early and be one of the voices of discontent. Once again the EU fans have wasted a slot on a figure that was likely already coming.

Where we could have had Jaxxon, Plageuis, or some other choice not on the radar, we get a figure that is (A) one of the lone finalists from 2006 not to be produced, and (B) one of the EU figures that Hasbro pretty much said was coming.

So now, they take their already in the works Bastila Shan and slap a sticker on the release, and voila you have your fan's choice winner.

I wish that they would have just admitted she was already coming, and pulled a Revan/Vos swap like 2006.

So long as most of the finalists get produced, it's not a total loss, I just can't help but feel that we've wasted an opportunity here, and given Hasbro a cheap out on this fan's choice.

Oh well, at least it's a better group of finalists than last time.

'78

Reaction score

There really needs to be separate divisions for prequel, EU, and OT. I will not be buying any of these.

Reaction score

Jeez, 4 out of the top 5 are EU characters?? I don't even know who Bastila Shan is! And the only movie-based character is Jocasta Nu?! Although I would love to have this figure, I can really see her pegwarming in the tradition of Yarna.

"Oh look, Mom: the irritable librarian grandma!! I want her for my armies!!!"

Reaction score

I'll buy Jocasta if she's a movie figure (I could easily see her being CW) and Jaxxon out of nostalgia. The rest are easy passes.

Reaction score

Oh well at least Jaxxon got in the top 5, goes to show you he is wanted after all this time.

Reaction score

RegJr said:
Jeez, 4 out of the top 5 are EU characters?? I don't even know who Bastila Shan is! And the only movie-based character is Jocasta Nu?! Although I would love to have this figure, I can really see her pegwarming in the tradition of Yarna.

"Oh look, Mom: the irritable librarian grandma!! I want her for my armies!!!"

Agreed, excpet I could care less if we ever get Jocasta. All she did is look grouchy with OB1. "ooh I really need her to fill out my Jedi library diorama with her , Ob1 and that Lucas kid...."

At least Jaxxon is a figure that looks different. I'm sick of these EU human characters. (by the way, I have just about every EU novel and a lot of comics. I still prefer characters we've actually seen on screen)

Reaction score

Bastila Shan was NOT already in development. I mean, she was part of the last round of winners, so Hasbro knew she was popular with fans. She is now slotted into the next basic figure wave they are working on, which won't be out until fall 2011.

The article does go on to say that several other characters from the top 30 are already in development for 2010 and 2011, but it does not reveal who they are.

Reaction score

Well I can breath a sigh of relief that I'll actually buy the fans' choice winner. As for the other runners up, I could care less about them, and I'm not looking forward to them taking up a spot at some point.

Reaction score

TK1945 said:
There really needs to be separate divisions for prequel, EU, and OT. I will not be buying any of these.
More divisions than that. PT is 3 films. OT is 3 films. EU is EVERYTHING ELSE. Dozens of 'films' worth of material. So there should be more subdivisions: KOTOR-era, Republic-era (ie, PT EU, including Clone Wars), Imperial-era (between-trilogies, and OT-era EU), post-ROTJ, LEGACY-era. Maybe even a subdivision within post-ROTJ, like "pre-NJO" and "NJO through FOTJ".

Four of the 5 figures being EU is GREAT. That's what Fan's Choice SHOULD be, since despite the popularity of most of the existing EU figures, they're still too often low on Hasbro's radar.

And all the "who?" comments can easily be attributed to many of the barely-there movie characters people cry out for. Cane Adiss -- who? Taym Dren-Garen -- who? Dorme -- who? Queen Appalachian -- who? Tey How -- who? Oh... that one. What's wrong with your face?

Reaction score

THIS FIGURE WAS ALREADY COMING!!!!! This with the canceled comic packs makes me want to quit collecting Star Wars. Lame, Hasbro just lame. The only way Hasbro could redeem itself is make the top 5 maybe in the same wave, it could be the fans choice wave although the Librarian will peg warm big time. She's not even good custom fodder.

Reaction score

Wow! I am surprised there weren't more movie based figures on top. At least Bastila is a cool KOTOR character so I'll get her. Most of the ones I really wanted were in the lower rankings.

Reaction score

I'm happy to hear this. I'm one of those who would love as many KOTOR figures as (reasonably) possible. And Bastilla is obviously right up near the top of the list. I will definitely be picking this one up as long as the figure turns out decent.

Reaction score

Have no interest in the character but happy for everyone else who wanted her!

I'm just thrilled "untouchable" Jaxxon got into the top five!!

Reaction score

Maybe not directly in development, but certainly already well onto the radar for a likely 2011 release - that sounds like a bit of a cop-out for Hasbro to make that claim.

I'll have to go back and pull the Q&A answer regarding Bastila - but it was one of those "no direct plans - but we'll get to her when we get back the EU" sort of answers, so regardless of this result, I maintain that she was already coming. That answer was early-mid last year too, so they could have been in the early stages of slotting her with the mixed waves for 2011, but not been in development yet.

The key there is, they only have to do one figure, and don't have to do a second - so if anything the EU folks should be cheezed off by this, as what this tells me is that Hasbro had no plans for the rest of the top five.

If they did, then they would have changed their stance and played the "look we're giving you more" card, by saying Bastila was already on the way, so the second place figure was going to be released (or one of the other EU subjects, etc.)

As it stands, with Jocasta Nu being in second place, and Hasbro's well known stance against that character, I can easily see them making the claim that Bastila wasn't in development, as it would have forced Hasbro's hand on Jocasta. "Not in development" can mean a lot of things.

Things that make you say hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

'78

Reaction score

Mr Curto said:
Bastila Shan was NOT already in development. I mean, she was part of the last round of winners, so Hasbro knew she was popular with fans. She is now slotted into the next basic figure wave they are working on, which won't be out until fall 2011.

The article does go on to say that several other characters from the top 30 are already in development for 2010 and 2011, but it does not reveal who they are.

Bastilla was already coming. In the very article or qna announcing THIS new poll, it is mentioned that all but so many of the last ones were made and that Bastilla was coming in 2011... so this is a real cheap shot by Hasbro, imo.

The ONLY characters that interest me of the "top 5" are Jocasta (movie figure) and Jaxxon (purely for corniness and nostalgia)... as I quit buying EU last year, I'll be passing on all of these EU figures if they put them out.

This is very lame and a REAL disappointment.

Crown the winner a figure already announced by Hasbro as coming in 2011... Hasbro needs to just fold the line up now before they p**s off any more of the already alienated fanbase.

Congrats to the Bastilla fans... but, again, sadly a figure already stated by Hasbro to be coming, so what a waste!
mad.gif

With nothing even coming out until Fall this year, I think I will try to follow the news on a monthly basis from here on out, instead of checking in daily, lol...

Reaction score

While I am glad to know for sure that Bastilla is coming, I do feel as if a spot was wasted. I mean, we know that she was going to come at some point.

Reaction score

Bastilla was one of my favorites to win in the last fan choice poll so it surprises me that i'm disappointed to see her win this one. I agree with the others here that Hasbro already had plans to make her. They're very committed to doing doing all the previous top 25 figures and Bastilla didn't need help from this poll to be made. The next EU wave in 2011 would have most likely included her. That top 25 has been influencing their previous EU waves, a la Jacen and Jaina. Hasbro would have drawn on it again for 2011, no doubt with Bastilla as their first pick.

Oh well.

Reaction score

Wow, never heard of any of them. I wished Hasbro would just hurry up and finish up the vintage remakes already so I can wipe my hands clean of this line.

Reaction score

I am pleased she is getting made, but like everyone else I feel let down at the same time, and no it's not because Jaxxon didn't win, I am happy he got in the Top 5 really I am.

But if what others are saying is true, and that she was already in development to be made, then this whole thing has been a sham - who checked the votes Toyfare or Hasbro.

Reaction score

I'd forgotten if there was any mention of her in Q&As implying she'd be out in the 2011 EU wave. I remembered that they said the next EU wave wouldn't be until Fall 2011 at the earliest... before they announced the unthemed waves starting in Fall 2011 :|

So maybe this WAS a waste. I still hope it's enough to give them a nudge to make this figure SA, well-proportioned (no tiny head, no cankles), and maybe have some extra bells & whistles (lit double-bladed yellow saber, and an unlit hilt for her belt---and NOT just Maul's saber with yellow blades, or Exar Kun's! And perhaps a single-bladed saber & separate hilt, that can also be placed on her belt instead of the double, so you'd have a spare saber & hilt for another Jedi figure if you'd like)

Reaction score

Bastila Shan, the fan's choice figure winner.......wait, WHO!?

Reaction score

I had no idea that this person was getting any votes at all. I've never heard of her. More boring human Jedi...we have way to many of those. I want my Darth Plaeguis.
frown.gif

Reaction score

AdmiralScreed said:
Bastila Shan, the fan's choice figure winner.......wait, WHO!?
Go play KOTOR and learn something. She's a pretty major character in that game. Captured Darth Revan at the beginning, becomes a potential love interest for the player, gets tortured by the villain Darth Malak and broken, falling to the Dark Side, and can live or die by the player's choices--do you kill her, or win her back to your side?

Yeah, she's another 'boring human Jedi' but she's got a decent outfit and has a double-bladed saber. Not many characters have that, in the EU... and it's got yellow blades! We could use more yellow-bladed sabers. I'd rather have a 'boring human Jedi' that played a big role in EU than a 'boring human Jedi' that had 2 seconds of screen-time in AOTC or ROTS, like most of those Arena Jedi (though I do kinda still want Joclad Danva, for an extra NJO Luke body to use for a Ben Skywalker or something maybe)

Reaction score

BORING! I know nothing of EU anyway.

And out of all the finalists, the Magnaguard didn't even RANK?! That's ridiculous!

Reaction score

Shocker, we get the top 5 and people start bashing the winners. Guess what? The votes are in, and whether or not we like it, Bastila Shan had the most votes. I know that fans will be critics, but it's kinda pathetic at this point. It's not like complaining now will change how people voted.

Sorry folks, the negativity is just getting to me. It's not like Bastila Shan's guaranteed figure and the high votes for the other 4 characters ruins the toyline or anything.

Reaction score

Jabbas_Guard_no3 said:
Have no interest in the character but happy for everyone else who wanted her!

I'm just thrilled "untouchable" Jaxxon got into the top five!!

Amen brother! I voted for Jaxxon as well, glad to see he made a good showing! Not all that torn up about Bastila winning though, I welcome any figures from KOTOR and she would be top of my list of KOTOR figures to be made.

Reaction score

It's a sad statement about the current state of the hobby that not a single Original Trilogy character made the top 5.

Reaction score

Lord_Atmo said:
And out of all the finalists, the Magnaguard didn't even RANK?! That's ridiculous!
Not really. Magnaguard's a given, in the next couple years I think. One of the few 'needed' upgrades from ROTS

Reaction score

true, but Hasbro said they didnt have plans for one. And nobody seems to list it on their wishlists in the ROTS topic.

it's killing my hope for one

Reaction score

Since1978 said:
I'm going to get in early and be one of the voices of discontent. Once again the EU fans have wasted a slot on a figure that was likely already coming.

Where we could have had Jaxxon, Plageuis, or some other choice not on the radar, we get a figure that is (A) one of the lone finalists from 2006 not to be produced, and (B) one of the EU figures that Hasbro pretty much said was coming.

So now, they take their already in the works Bastila Shan and slap a sticker on the release, and voila you have your fan's choice winner.

I wish that they would have just admitted she was already coming, and pulled a Revan/Vos swap like 2006.

So long as most of the finalists get produced, it's not a total loss, I just can't help but feel that we've wasted an opportunity here, and given Hasbro a cheap out on this fan's choice.

Oh well, at least it's a better group of finalists than last time.

'78

Can I get a amen?

Reaction score

Nate_M said:
It's a sad statement about the current state of the hobby that not a single Original Trilogy character made the top 5.

It's clear that OT has nothing GOOD to offer.