Bandai: Star Wars Model Kits

Reaction score
This is just a parts swap build of R4-I9 and R4-M9. I finished this one up on Saturday but spent another day going back and forth on extra details or not. I had thought about some more lime green detailing around the panel doors of the torso. The same green used for the areas behind the vents. I decided not to do it, but who knows I may go back on that later.

dtp-swbandai-as01.jpg

Coz

Reaction score
So I saw this on youtube. It's the Revell catalog for this year. And they have Bandai kits but under Revell? Interesting. No new Bandai kits shown. But they did show a new Revell 1:72 Razor Crest and Tie Fighter. @13:18.

Reaction score
So I saw this on youtube. It's the Revell catalog for this year. And they have Bandai kits but under Revell? Interesting. No new Bandai kits shown. But they did show a new Revell 1:72 Razor Crest and Tie Fighter. @13:18.

First thing I thought was it could be in Bandai's interest to use Revell's stronger distribution chain. I noticed it's just the vehicles, none of the Droids or humanoids.

Coz

Reaction score
First thing I thought was it could be in Bandai's interest to use Revell's stronger distribution chain. I noticed it's just the vehicles, none of the Droids or humanoids.
Maybe Revell can't distribute the 1:12 figures because they're so close to being action figures. Someone said something about Bandai being able to distribute them because they are in a different market.

Reaction score
It might be important to know what market that catalogue was printed for... it’s clearly dual language English and German (and the guy in the video sounds British?). Is it a European market catalogue? The various license agreements could be very different among different territories.

Reaction score
Stopped at Hobby Lobby on Dubuque Iowa tonight. Several Bandai kits restocked.
X-Wing, OT and ST
Death Star/Star Destroyer
R2/BB8
AT-ST
At least one other I forgot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Razor Crest 1:72 interesting, though. Would have prefered a 144 kit ( I guess it about the size of Slave 1 ) done by Bandai, but I will keep my eyes out for this one and give Revell a chance.
Hope it will NOT be a pre-colored, click&play kit.
Skill level 3 with 70 parts, compared to Bandai kits at Skill 5 and more parts. Guess it will take a load of afterwork to bring out some more details.

Different sources list it to be available around Mid-October

Last edited:
Reaction score
It might be important to know what market that catalogue was printed for... it’s clearly dual language English and German (and the guy in the video sounds British?).

I had watched that video on my phone without sound, totally missed that. Could make sense it being a European partnership if Bandai has less a foothold there. Aside from Target (minimal) and Hobby Lobby (more than Target but still not all) there's other stores that carry Revell in the U.S. that have not picked up Bandai kits. Michaels and JoAnn stores woud be nice since they both offer coupon discounts.

Stopped at Hobby Lobby on Dubuque Iowa tonight. Several Bandai kits restocked.
X-Wing, OT and ST
Death Star/Star Destroyer
R2/BB8
AT-ST
At least one other I forgot.

Time to check there again. Went once last year and all they had was an ST X-Wing.

Reaction score
I did however get a reply from BlueFin Monday. They sent me a return mailing label to send the wrong kits back and assure me they can send the corrected ones as soon they get the return.

Took a few weeks on their part to get it sorted and shipped, but I did get the correct models today from BlueFin. So hopefully I will have a Deathtrooper built by end of week.

Reaction score
Very cool! I take it he stands a lot better than the Black Series version?

I wish BBTS would get around to shipping mine!

Reaction score
Just saw the weekly add at hobby lobby has 40% off boxed model kits. Only good for one more day (tomorrow April 10, 2021). It sucks they stopped doing the weekly 40% off any one item coupon. Gotta actually watch for the sales now.

Reaction score
I’ve been ordering from HL for awhile now. Seems every other week they run the 40% off on model kits. Just sucks they have such a limited variety to choose from.

Reaction score
Very cool! I take it he stands a lot better than the Black Series version?

I wish BBTS would get around to shipping mine!

I have him leaning on the glass and HotToys base for support.
Once his feet are flat he balances fine.
Just too light since its a model kit, but the details are awesome...

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for matching the coloring of the Bandai Shoretrooper's to the Black Series Shoretroopers? Honestly color mixing is kind of a dark art too me as I get back into this. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score

Coz

Reaction score
From another thread for those who haven't seen it.
Not sure If I'm more excited for the kit itself or for the fact that this line is continuing. Had my doubts we would ever see anything new
If anyone finds where to order this, please post the link. I'm not finding anything yet. Thanks.

Reaction score
I dunno, that's sort of cool but a couple things bother me off the bat...

Where's the cape?

And he really should either not have that kneepad or have the second version of the thighplate...

Reaction score
Well now that I know it exists I can find it and I have more good news. There are 4 sets from The Mandalorian. 2 Mandos and 2 Razor Crests.

o_1f3kb363bte61hlm136h1tgc1fc57.jpg

The sets are the exact same except you can essentially pay about twice as much to get a shiny silver coating. If you want to customize and paint it yourself just get the cheaper regular versions. Mando comes with a pistol, rifle, spear, darksaber, and extra hands.

The Razor Crest doesn't list a scale anywhere and the pictures say they are CG so the pictures aren't of an actual physical model.
Also the Razor Crest display includes a ball joint so instead of sitting flat it can rotate on the display so it can look like it is lifting off, turning, etc...

There is also a new 1/72 Red 5 coming out with 2 adjustable stands.

155_4348_s_rni2c8ghlfkr7smoxcis191kgxo5.jpg

193_4348_s_fp60kpx1pcpodbazcmgmiidq3boy.jpg

Here is a link to a blog with pictures of the new X-Wing kit. 1/72 X-Wing Red 5

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow that’s great news about the Mando set(s)! I knew the razor crest was coming, but I’m pumped for the Mando! I’ve bought some of the supporting Black series characters from Hasbro but I’ve yet to buy a 1/12 Mando because all of them (hasbro, figuarts, Mafex) had something significantly wrong or insufficient IMO. Looks like the Bandai kit might finally fit the bill of good sculpt with decent accessories at a reasonable price.

Now do I get the shiny silver or regular version.... hmm....

Coz

Reaction score
Wow that’s great news about the Mando set(s)! I knew the razor crest was coming, but I’m pumped for the Mando! I’ve bought some of the supporting Black series characters from Hasbro but I’ve yet to buy a 1/12 Mando because all of them (hasbro, figuarts, Mafex) had something significantly wrong or insufficient IMO. Looks like the Bandai kit might finally fit the bill of good sculpt with decent accessories at a reasonable price.

Now do I get the shiny silver or regular version.... hmm....
Both.

Reaction score
As the announced Razor Crest seems to be scaled 1/350 ( roughly 3 inches ) I just hope, Bandai blows it up to 1/144 too. As excited I am about Revells revealed 1/144, I´d prefer Bandai any time

Reaction score
They still haven't figured out the scale of the Razor Crests but they have settled on the price? That seems strange to me, as the price should depend on the scale and vice versa.

Coz

Reaction score
They still haven't figured out the scale of the Razor Crests but they have settled on the price? That seems strange to me, as the price should depend on the scale and vice versa.
I assumed they were 1:144? Since the regular one is only $17.99 I figure it must be pretty small.

Coz

Reaction score
Boba Fett Model kit may 4th sale at Target.com, 23.99$
Amazon currently matching that price.

Reaction score
Anyone know what the leftover Stormtrooper ball joints are for?

The Shoretrooper and Death Trooper share the same parts sprue as the Stormtrooper and neither of those use these parts. I'm guessing Hand and Luke are the same. Must be for one of the other humanoid kits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coz
Reaction score
Currently building a Luke Stormtrooper. Like the last Stormie I built, he’s getting a full paint job. I just don’t care for the milky translucence of the plastic in person, no matter how nice that shiny finish is. Plus, I fill some of the more prominent seams which then requires painting. Below is a progress summary of eliminating that little plug on the butt plate for the action stand that I’ll never use. Parts, assembled, glued, sanded, puttied, sanded, primed, and painted.

636B4E3D-943D-4C45-BE60-6F49BA0D3AE6.jpeg59BE52C5-C888-4CB1-B827-7297261A5706.jpegEBE0358F-E494-4B02-8960-9DD09ECB3E2F.jpeg3D294096-C86F-436A-8929-0F0D1F1DD5EA.jpeg4E7F61DA-BA9D-4E8E-839C-6ED0CF0867B5.jpeg3644391A-9013-48BA-A0E6-D26D53DDD825.jpeg2A041447-25F8-4D01-9826-75D895F7C553.jpegF8D028F5-A834-404B-B96D-CEBBB8E29E9F.jpeg

Reactions: Coz