Bandai: Star Wars Model Kits

Reaction score
man those stickers look horrible. So I will either make my own waterslides or just mask and paint because I def will not be using those.

Reaction score
I heard someone say its c-3po new "combat mode" but i think the red eyes means he's possessed by Emperor Palpatine!:eek:

Reaction score
Finished weathering my R5-M2 custom. Discovered that the secret to really upping the appearance of these kits, even post-weathering, is to hit them with a matte finish spray. I used the Mr. Hobby brand. Still testing some solutions for the feet cables. The stock ones are just way too brittle, and break in a gentle breeze, lol.

Reaction score
I found a Bandai Boba Fett at Hobby Lobby in North Myrtle Beach SC today. It was my first time seeing him there.

$35 minus the 40% coupon = $23 including tax. He was the only figure they had and there was only one.

They did have a bunch of ships though. It was a pretty decent restock after being quite barren for a while.

1/72 - both Ep.7 X-wings, Y-wing
1/48 - snowspeeder, AT-ST
1/144 - X-wing, TIEs, A-wing, something else I can't remember
1/? - gorilla AT-AT from Ep.8

I wish they'd get some clone troopers up in there! ...and a biker scout.

Reaction score
Still testing some solutions for the feet cables. The stock ones are just way too brittle, and break in a gentle breeze, lol.
What works great for leg cables are Jumper Wire kits...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079FKJ4S3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They come in several colors that match the common droid colors. They can also be shaped as desired.
I use them for the Bandai models as well as the Disney Droid Factory droids.

Also, I have used numerous matte top coats & the one that ALWAYS looks fantastic as well as durable is
Testors Dulcote. Not very expensive & easy to get (Hobby Lobby carries it). My photo gallery has a lot of my customs
that it was used on (everything without a gloss finish).

And by the way, your R5 looks great!

Reaction score
Thanks for the pro-tip! Will seek out some of those wires. I had been saving those clear wire-ties that Hasbro used to use across all their toy lines, and was going to buy some wire strippers to expose the wire on the ends, and use those. The ones you use already have the ends exposed though, so even better!

Reaction score
What works great for leg cables are Jumper Wire kits...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079FKJ4S3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They come in several colors that match the common droid colors. They can also be shaped as desired.
I use them for the Bandai models as well as the Disney Droid Factory droids.

Also, I have used numerous matte top coats & the one that ALWAYS looks fantastic as well as durable is
Testors Dulcote. Not very expensive & easy to get (Hobby Lobby carries it). My photo gallery has a lot of my customs
that it was used on (everything without a gloss finish).

And by the way, your R5 looks great!
Excellent. I could have used that exact kit for a lighting project I was working on. I was sitting there making my own small jumpers and having a heck of a time doing it.

Reaction score
So, Poe flies with Artoo and the Falcon gets a round dish again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good eye on Poe's X-wing. I wonder if it will have an option for R2 or BB-8?

I did notice the round dish as well on the Lego kit that was shown on the TFF video.

Reaction score
Well, I'm glad I never got BB8. Good reason to now.
As long as I've wanted variety of xwing colors, not crazy about these paint jobs. (Not Bandai's fault).

Reaction score
I dig the new X-wing paint scheme. Very McQuarrie-esque. Plus, Poe’s orange scheme is almost and inverse of the F-15 prototype paint job.

Reaction score
Hmm, might get Poe´s new deco fighter, as well as properbly any new FO-TIE with the added red/orange armor parts. Pretty sure this will come sometime later too.

Examining the released pictures, I am already wondering, what the story about BB´s missing orange circle will be

Reaction score
I'm glad Bandai will have a BB-8 and D-0 set. I've been wanting to get a BB-8 kit, but I didn't really need to get a 2nd R2-D2 to get a BB-8.

Wait a second. I just got a 2nd look at that BB-8. He looks to be sporting a new kind of round panel there. What's up with that? I wonder if it will have options for making a TFA/TLJ version or a ROS version.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just spotted the Ghost in the "fleet, assemble !" scene of the latest trailer. I really hope, it will get at least a few mores seconds of screen time to get even a chance to be molted into a 144 scale kit this time

Reaction score
Just discovered this one. Not interrested myself, but its not mentioned here so I figured I post it.
I just cant see the appeal of this kind of kits. To me these feels like a "We need to release something but have no idea what"-kind-of-filler-idea.
I COULD see something, if they would be gold-, chrome-, or blackchrome plated.

A new set of TLJ-themed "Clear Vehicles" announced for a Feb.2020 release
Includes TLJ Falcon, AT-M6, Resistance X-Wing, Boosted X-Wing

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice work, GalaxyShot.

So now that we have a better pic of Bandai's upcoming R4-M9, how do y'all think they're going to achieve all the green portions? The prototype image here definitely looks like a paint job to me, since some of the edges on the green stripes look a little rough. But obviously it's not going to come pre-painted. So do you think they'll do some dual-molded parts, or will we have to rely on their new ultra-thin stickers? Remember: they don't make water decals for these anymore. I don't care how thin the stickers are, they're not going to look good laying over all those seams!

Received mine a few days ago -- it's stickers, for the most part... Not that waterslides would have been much better for this. Time to break out the masking tape, I guess. I can upload some pics of the spurs/decal sheet when I have a moment.

Reaction score
That’s too bad it’s stickers. Water slides can be made to look just like they’re painted on if you take your time and use a good solvent such as MicroSol. It’s extra work, but not really any more than masking and painting all that by hand. (ideally you paint the model, hit it with a gloss clear coat, apply the decals, use several coats of the solvent allowing it to dry between each application until the decals have completely settled into the crevices, put a couple coats of gloss clear coat on top of the decals to seal them, then finish weathering or adding a dull coat or whatever you need to finish the model)

Reaction score
Received mine a few days ago -- it's stickers, for the most part... Not that waterslides would have been much better for this. Time to break out the masking tape, I guess. I can upload some pics of the spurs/decal sheet when I have a moment.
That's a total bummer, but thanks for the update.

Reaction score
1/6 Bandai Stormtrooper model kit.

I wanted to take at least one shot of him clean and shiny because this bad boy (and a few of his friends) is getting weathered into the Imperial Remnant to go with the upcoming Hot Toys Mandalorian and Sideshow Mythos Bobafett figure coming out.

Reaction score

I wanted to take at least one shot of him clean and shiny because this bad boy (and a few of his friends) is getting weathered into the Imperial Remnant to go with the upcoming Hot Toys Mandalorian and Sideshow Mythos Bobafett figure coming out.

Really nice! Is it hard to build and is there paint/glue required ? I'm not a model kit expert, I read it was easy to build but I prefer to ask and be sure before buying!

Reaction score
Really nice! Is it hard to build and is there paint/glue required ? I'm not a model kit expert, I read it was easy to build but I prefer to ask and be sure before buying!

All the bandai kits are snap fit, no glue required. Paint is usually optional depending on the kit.

This particular one, like the smaller 1/12 Stormtrooper scale kit, really doesn't need any paint at all. This is straight out of the box with stickers applied. A kit like a Sandtrooper or Boba Fett would need some paint so it doesn't look so clean. You know what I'm saying?

As far as glue goes, sometimes there's a piece that's meant to be friction fit but doesn't quite stay. And in those cases you can glue it if you want. But generally its optional.

Building one is like building IKEA furniture honestly lol. You just follow the instructions carefully, being careful with small pieces and patient when applying small stickers and you'll be fine.

I absolutely reccomend picking up a set of hobby knives and ESPECIALLY model clippers at least.

Reaction score
That’s too bad it’s stickers. Water slides can be made to look just like they’re painted on if you take your time and use a good solvent such as MicroSol. It’s extra work, but not really any more than masking and painting all that by hand. (ideally you paint the model, hit it with a gloss clear coat, apply the decals, use several coats of the solvent allowing it to dry between each application until the decals have completely settled into the crevices, put a couple coats of gloss clear coat on top of the decals to seal them, then finish weathering or adding a dull coat or whatever you need to finish the model)
Oh -- I totally agree and side with the waterslides when given the option. Even then, I usually reserve that for insignia / anything with a pattern. I just finished my X-Wing, and took the time (read: way too much time) to mask and spray nearly everything. I'll probably go that route with R4-M9. At least it's only one color, aside from the basecoat and the metallic pieces. It'll take me longer to find/mix the right colors, sadly.

Reaction score

Nice. I love mine. I've had a second one waiting for about a year for an attempt to add fabric to the undersuit...

Reaction score
All the bandai kits are snap fit, no glue required. Paint is usually optional depending on the kit.

This particular one, like the smaller 1/12 Stormtrooper scale kit, really doesn't need any paint at all. This is straight out of the box with stickers applied. A kit like a Sandtrooper or Boba Fett would need some paint so it doesn't look so clean. You know what I'm saying?

As far as glue goes, sometimes there's a piece that's meant to be friction fit but doesn't quite stay. And in those cases you can glue it if you want. But generally its optional.

Building one is like building IKEA furniture honestly lol. You just follow the instructions carefully, being careful with small pieces and patient when applying small stickers and you'll be fine.

I absolutely reccomend picking up a set of hobby knives and ESPECIALLY model clippers at least.
Thanks for the infos! I'm adding this to my want list ;)