Bandai: Star Wars Model Kits

Reaction score
Found some time to put a couple kits together. I really like the alternative R2 option that Bandai gave us with the R4 kit. Also got close to finishing my R5-M2 custom, but accidentally broke his eye off, heh. Will add some light weathering to him eventually.

Quick question for you more advanced painters out there: What brand of matte finish spray would you recommend? The R4 kit is too glossy for my liking, so want to dull it up a bit. Also, do matte finish sprays leave visible residue on darker colored objects, such as the R4 kit? I ideally would like to keep the same color as the existing body, just reduce the gloss.

Reaction score
Mr Hobby super clear flat is far and away the best flat clear coat in a spray can I’ve ever seen. It’s like using sorcery it’s so flipping good. Just one coat will take even the slickest/shiniest surface to a totally matte finish with no hint of shine left whatsoever. No problems with discoloration or anything that I’ve noticed. It costs more than other canned clearcoats, but you ABSOLUTELY get what you pay for in this case.

edit: it may also be called mr. Super clear matte. Pretty sure it’s the same thing.

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=271

Last edited:
Reaction score
Beautiful work, BARF! What technique do you use for the near-perfect silver pinstripe detailing on the dome panels? Masking?
Yah that was the trickiest part. I had to mask off each line separately, then touch up paint the excess. Were talking about less than 1mm pinstripe in a groove. Not easy to achieve by taping and hand brushing. Normally, I'd just use a panel line accent to fill in he grooves but there is none in silver that I'm aware of. It's not an ideal way to achieve the lines. A silver wash may have worked but I just didnt want to risk messing up the paint job. Honestly, the HD camera exaggerates the imperfections. When you look at it in person, the lines look bang on and sharp.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They look pretty clean even in enlarged photos! lol I kinda figured that's what you did. It's a level of tedium I'm not ready to tackle myself yet, heh. I'm actually kinda surprised Bandai didn't include labels for those particular panels. Surely they noticed the silver outlines in the reference photos. They included them for the dome base and the shouders, so why not the dome?

Hmmm...so did you mask off all those silver grooves in the feet as well?o-o

Reaction score
Nice work Barf, glad to see you gotta a new droid cranked out! That droid display shelf of yours must be bowing under the weight by now.

Reaction score
Nice work, GalaxyShot.

So now that we have a better pic of Bandai's upcoming R4-M9, how do y'all think they're going to achieve all the green portions? The prototype image here definitely looks like a paint job to me, since some of the edges on the green stripes look a little rough. But obviously it's not going to come pre-painted. So do you think they'll do some dual-molded parts, or will we have to rely on their new ultra-thin stickers? Remember: they don't make water decals for these anymore. I don't care how thin the stickers are, they're not going to look good laying over all those seams!

Reaction score
I just can’t understand why they’re not doing waterslide decals anymore. I hope they don’t move that direction for their ships and other things too. Stickers are awful!

Reaction score
I just can’t understand why they’re not doing waterslide decals anymore. I hope they don’t move that direction for their ships and other things too. Stickers are awful!
I haven't bought a Bandai kit recently...hate to hear this.
I always thought the Bandai kits were very reasonably priced for the quality...I wouldn't mind paying a little more to get waterslide..stickers are just junk.

Reaction score
Nice work, GalaxyShot.

So now that we have a better pic of Bandai's upcoming R4-M9, how do y'all think they're going to achieve all the green portions? The prototype image here definitely looks like a paint job to me, since some of the edges on the green stripes look a little rough. But obviously it's not going to come pre-painted. So do you think they'll do some dual-molded parts, or will we have to rely on their new ultra-thin stickers? Remember: they don't make water decals for these anymore. I don't care how thin the stickers are, they're not going to look good laying over all those seams!

Thanks! Add me to the list of people just finding out they don't do water slides anymore. Wtf.

But I was looking at that thinking the same thing; How are they going to do the color separation here??

Reaction score
Finally starting my Bandai Grievous.

One of my very few gripes with this kit is the length of the lightsaber blades.

The hilts are about the same length as Hasbro's (although thicker) but the blades are far too long.

While looking at the kit hilts I realized I had 2 green and 2 blue blades from the Dollar Store 6 inch figures.
For those not familiar, Dollar Stores carried 6 inch Star Wars figures that had 5 points of articulation. Some were duds, some were quite good.

The C3PO was excellent, Darth Maul was pretty good for a static (standing still) version of Maul. Funny thing, the saber staff was virtually the same mold as Hasbro's, it even split in two.

Anyway, I took some pics comparing Hasbro's sabers with Bandai Grievous sabers, then with Bandai hilts with dollar store blades attached.
One glaring issue is the dollar store blades are a much darker plastic, and a bit thicker than Hasbro's.
Also, the peg is a tad too narrow for Bandai's hilt.
I would like to shorten the Bandai blades, but I'm terrified of it going wrong and not having replacements.

I haven't painted the Bandai hilts yet (and the Bandai hilt in pics is the one hilt with a slant at ignitor end, but if I use dollar store blades it would be simple to trim one blade to fit).

Whew...
I wanted to know if anyone knows a way to shorten Bandai blades without "fogging up" the plastic where it is cut, or knows of similar shorter blades that would work.

Also, if anyone has idea on how to attach the dollar store blades (widen its narrow peg) that would not be permanent. In other words, I don't want to glue dollar store blades in.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or opinions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, you could cut it and then sand it into the length/shape you want and then buff and polish it back to the clear translucence you desire. Cutting and sanding it aren’t really “fogging” the plastic. They are just scuffing it up. But you can polish that away afterwards.

There are a million YouTube videos about how to do this with model aircraft canopies. The techniques would be nearly identical for your purposes.

https://youtu.be/fc1HESsCKsk

https://youtu.be/hfwcgQzeN00

Reaction score
So the way I would approach this is to do a test cut on the neon rack that light sabers came from. Cut a tube off and use one of these dollar store nail file/polishers on one end. It's a 7 step file from coarse to polish. I've used this on kit parts before and the result is actually surprisingly smooth and shiny. Now whether this works on a translucent piece is another thing. But that's why I suggest testing on the neon rack waste first. Good luck.

Reaction score
In theory you should be able to polish the translucent plastic to a nice shine. You just have to go finer and finer with the sanding. Once you get to the finest grit, you may even want to switch to a polishing compound with even finer particles sizes.

Reaction score
^exactly. That’s precisely what they do to the aircraft canopies in the videos I posted last page. Works brilliantly.

Reaction score
Anybody get one of the new Q2 sets yet? Very curious to see how they handled the various color blocking on the torso. Wonder if those black and white side panels will be just one solid sticker or two individual stickers, since there's a raised edge to the panel.

Dax

Reaction score
I don't "get" the clear versions, they just feel a little gimmicky to me seeing as we already have the actual versions. That's fine though, each to their own. They remind me of the modern micro-machines which did the X-ray look for some of their items. The only one that vaguely interests me would be the Death Star II as I think you could do something cool with an LED in there perhaps?

It also makes me think, what is really left to do for model kits? We already have all the major items now which is great. I expect in the not too distant future we'll get an updated ESB version Falcon in the Premium Grade scale.

I'd like to see a larger scale version of the Rebel Blockade Runner. If they did it with individually linked tracks then a Sandcrawler could be great, particularly with all the internal customisation possibilities. Jabba's Sail Barge with Skiff perhaps? TIE Bomber is a must have. A 1/72 scale AT-AT would be amazing but probably unrealistic. A Super Star Destroyer with regular Star Destroyer as an in-scale size comparison. Shuttle Tyderium would be nice to have again. It would also be great to see the Rancor after all this time. Dewback and Sandtrooper perhaps?

I wouldn't be very excited by a Cloud Car or Landspeeder model kit but I understand those items have their fans out there. Anyone have any other items they'd like to see and do we think the market is strong enough to support new kits at this stage?

Reaction score
I quite like them and will most certainly be looking to add that Millennium Falcon to my collection.

Can you buy them individually anywhere?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bandai AT-At with Snowspeeders and Rebel Defenses

Other Bandai Models

And Some Fine Molds

Reaction score
The first R2-Q2 build review has appeared. Man, all those decals look like a B*TCH to deal with!! This guy seems like he did a bit of a rush job, as many of the decals are misaligned by the end of the video, but we get a sense of just how tedious this droid is going to be to complete. Also, we now know that Bandai didn't correct the silver dome before release. Not having a gray dome to match the body will really throw this one off for me. Maybe I'll just call it R2-Q3, heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWptIOyj7tE