Bandai: Star Wars Model Kits

Reaction score
Does the Mr. Hobby wash have a sandy texture? Like bits of sand in it. Or is it just sand colour. I am looking for a 3D kind of effect.

I have those Tamiya products and they are great. I especially like the Weather Master kits.

Reaction score
I just had to show you guys this. This 1/12 Battle Droid kit is probably the most advanced Star Wars build Bandai have done so far. I am shocked already and I just started it. Just when I thought they couldn't get more innovative.

Has this ever been done on Bandai kit before? Definitely not on a Star Wars kit. This double jointed neck piece was cut off the rack as one piece. Articulated off the rack :wtf:

I'll posting a review soon so keep an eye out :)

Reaction score
I was going to skip the Battle Droid kit but after seeing/reading reviews about the new innovations done to the Battle Driod kit I'm going to have to get a couple. I hope we have a General Grievous, Super Battle Droids, IG-88 and K2-SO on the way. And I believe there is a Hobby show in Japan this weekend( if my translator app is correct). Bandai will be there, I hope they reveal new Star Wars Kits.

Reaction score
I'll definitely be making the yellow guy, oom-9 and also a Geonosis Battle Droid (dark red) possibly with 3P0 head swap.

As far as weathering, apply a wash and add silver accents. Shouldn't be too hard. That will take this model to a whole new level of awesomeness.

I do have a warning regarding this model. It is a model remember. I forgot and bent the right ankle back too far. It didn't snap but it did twist as I moved back and created a small gap so the ankle is looser now. I should have been more careful as there are bumps on the back of the ankle that are meant to stop it from being bent too far back. So it was my bad. The other area are the thumbs. The ball joint on one of them I cut too much so it slips out easier. Again, my fault. I believe I can fix these issues easily by applying a little clear nail polish or future floor polish.

Reaction score
Good news for Star Wars model kit buliders :grin:

Posted on TagHobby. Pics from a Hobby Show.

1/6 OT Stormtrooper

mini model OT Millenium Falcon and a cut off shot of the new mini Y-wing

Various Rogue One kits plus a what looks like a model kit Death Star on the bottom right?!?

Last edited:
Reaction score
That droid build is coming along great BARF. The 'articulated off the sprue' sounds like what Bandai have done on a few of their Gundam kits. It's really quite amazing.

I'm in a dilemma on the mini Star Destroyer, on the one hand it looks pretty good but I'm most keen on a larger model (Revell appears to be releasing a large one for RO soon though it clearly won't be Japanese level quality). I may just get one for the practice, what do you think, is it worth it?

Reaction score
That droid build is coming along great BARF. The 'articulated off the sprue' sounds like what Bandai have done on a few of their Gundam kits. It's really quite amazing.

I'm in a dilemma on the mini Star Destroyer, on the one hand it looks pretty good but I'm most keen on a larger model (Revell appears to be releasing a large one for RO soon though it clearly won't be Japanese level quality). I may just get one for the practice, what do you think, is it worth it?
The mini Star Destoyer kit is a little more expensive than the rest of the mini models Bandai has released for some reason. It ran me $17 USD. IMO it is overpriced. But after building it, I have no regrets. It is extremely detailed. Very simple to put together. And compact of course. I have always wanted a Star Destroyer but they are too big for my display. So this worked perfect for me.

You mentioned you were thinking of getting one to practice on. Well these mini kits are not even close to the complexity of the regular sized kits. They are meant to be simple. So "practicing" is kinda of not applicable IMO. Check a few pages back for my pics of the Star Destoryer. That might help you decide if you think it's worth it. But sounds like you are more interested in a bigger scale model. I'm hoping Bandai will make one soon. From the looks of it, they don't seem to be slowing down so it's a good possibility. That and an OT Millenium Falcon.

Reaction score
Nice build! Was going to pass but now will have to get.

NICE! on the new kits!!

Reaction score
Phase one of weathering is complete. I achieved this by mixing Tamiya X-19 Smoke with X-21 Flat Base. Adding the flat base reduces the gloss factor. Apply this mixture liberally. Then soak a Q-tip in X-20A Acrylic Thinner and rub off the excess.

This guy will represent my grunt soldier. He is out doing the dirty work for the Commander, oom-9 on Naboo. So his weathering needs to be on the heavy side. I'm very happy with the result. I believe I replicated the box images nicely, which is what I was going for. As you can see, there are so many hidden details that are brought out by adding a wash.

Phase two will be battle damage accents. But I believe I will hold of until the STAP is complete so I can do both at the same time.

This kit is awesome!

Reaction score
Cool thread you got going here, BARF! Quite informative! That battle droid set looks quite well made. If only I wasn't so tepid when it came to the prequels, I'd probably get a few myself.:grin: Still hoping Bandai makes an R3 and R4 unit set. Man, told myself I wasn't going to collect anything from Rogue One, but those kits for the Scarif trooper and K-2SO might be too tempting to pass up....

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Got the STAP done. Now just to weather it up. Very cool build. The turret has articulation up and down.

Reaction score
Finished my last Sandtrooper tonight

The binoculars are from a EBAY seller and I am guessing they are cast from the Hoth Han and Tauntaun by Hasbro.

And here's all 3

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Well done, SithSim. The Sandtrooper kit is IMO the best improvement from its Black Series version. Having all that articulation and being able to use it and pose the figure dynamically without toppling over every time is a pleasure. The sand effects you've applied are killer. Really excellent work.

So I have a question about the pauldron colours. What does each colour mean and the rank order?

Reaction score
Well done, SithSim. The Sandtrooper kit is IMO the best improvement from its Black Series version. Having all that articulation and being able to use it and pose the figure dynamically without toppling over every time is a pleasure. The sand effects you've applied are killer. Really excellent work.

So I have a question about the pauldron colours. What does each colour mean and the rank order?
Sandtrooper Squad Leader = orange pauldron
Sandtrooper Sergeant = white pauldron
Sandtrooper Corporal = black pauldron
There is no gray pauldron in SW OT.

Reaction score
Hey Sergiu thanks for that info! And you wouldn't be the guy with the super awesome Star Wars collection with all the Prop replicas would you(helmets,sabers,etc)???

Reaction score
Thanks BARF! What's your next project??? I'm going to start on the Biker Scout and speeder bike next. And did you weather your scout and bike yet or do you plain on doing so???

Reaction score
Sandtrooper Squad Leader = orange pauldron
Sandtrooper Sergeant = white pauldron
Sandtrooper Corporal = black pauldron
There is no gray pauldron in SW OT.
So a Squad Leader outranks a Sergeant. This is what I didn't know. Thanks.

Thanks BARF! What's your next project??? I'm going to start on the Biker Scout and speeder bike next. And did you weather your scout and bike yet or do you plain on doing so???

Not sure about the next project. I'm really liking the Battle Droid kit so may do another and repaint it.

The Biker Scout and Speeder set is built and awaiting paint apps and weathering. I'm practicing my technique on the STAP. If I'm happy, I might just tackle the speeder. The Scout Trooper just needs a few touch ups to bring out the details. It's the speeder that will be more of a challenge.

Reaction score
Hey Sergiu thanks for that info! And you wouldn't be the guy with the super awesome Star Wars collection with all the Prop replicas would you(helmets,sabers,etc)???

Thanks. That might be me :)

So a Squad Leader outranks a Sergeant. This is what I didn't know. Thanks.
Glad to help. I think it does indeed.

Reaction score
I put together the Phasma kit tonight. She's okay, but dang are the pegs and joints loose. They pop out so easy. I figured they would snap in. Would you recommend some glue to fix this?

Reaction score
Can you show more pics of the STAP? I have the Revell one and thats about 1/6th. I used leather for the brown. After seeing yours I may have to pic this kit up!

Reaction score
Somehow I haven't seen this thread til now. Thanks for sharing all the great photos.
Has this ever been done on Bandai kit before? Definitely not on a Star Wars kit. This double jointed neck piece was cut off the rack as one piece. Articulated off the rack :wtf:

I'll posting a review soon so keep an eye out :)
Bandai has a series of Gundam kits that have an entire sprue of articulated bits to make up the suits inner frame.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Somehow I haven't seen this thread til now. Thanks for sharing all the great photos.

Bandai has a series of Gundam kits that have an entire sprue of articulated bits to make up the suits inner frame.
Not a problem and thanks for the info.

I put together the Phasma kit tonight. She's okay, but dang are the pegs and joints loose. They pop out so easy. I figured they would snap in. Would you recommend some glue to fix this?
My joints are pretty tight actually, however, I seem to recall the Phasma Kit having less "snap" in joints. I may be thinking of another kit though. Which joints are you referring to? I can compare to mine.

I have noticed that if you cut too much, the joints may not be as tight. Not saying that you have done this. Many of the joint will "snap" in. As I recall the elbows will not. This is done on purpose so the joint can slide out to allow for hyperarticulation. So I wouldn't recommend gluing . A better option would be to add a layer of clear nail polish or future floor polish to thicken up the joint. You won't need much.

Can you show more pics of the STAP? I have the Revell one and thats about 1/6th. I used leather for the brown. After seeing yours I may have to pic this kit up!
They are coming, Mechleader. I have just painted on the main detailing last night so it's all tapes up and not photo worthy yet. I will be adding a wash tonight. Then some battle damage. But here is a photo to hold you off until it's done...

Reaction score
My joints are pretty tight actually, however, I seem to recall the Phasma Kit having less "snap" in joints. I may be thinking of another kit though. Which joints are you referring to? I can compare to mine.

I have noticed that if you cut too much, the joints may not be as tight. Not saying that you have done this. Many of the joint will "snap" in. As I recall the elbows will not. This is done on purpose so the joint can slide out to allow for hyperarticulation. So I wouldn't recommend gluing . A better option would be to add a layer of clear nail polish or future floor polish to thicken up the joint. You won't need much.
I find the elbow piece that connects the upper and lower arm to be loose. The posts slip out easy. Also where the top of the legs and the pelvis connect I also find to be loose. I understand nothing snaps in to allow for hyperarticulation, but I'm a fan of tight fitting joints on action figures. I don't have faith these loose joints will hold a pose over time.

I'll take your advice about not gluing anything together.

All in all I enjoyed the build. The finished product looks sharp (and shiny). I did mess up a couple times and cut the spruce to close to the piece. I might buy a second kit to fix these mistakes.

Reaction score
Clone trooper is a nice kit, my only complaint was how the strap that fits over the top of the shoe has to be pegged in. I broke one of mine, but I was lucky it was a clean break and a small dot of glue fixed it.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Clone trooper is a nice kit, my only complaint was how the strap that fits over the top of the shoe has to be pegged in. I broke one of mine, but I was lucky it was a clean break and a small dot of glue fixed it.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
I'll be repainting mine. To who? It's a secret :whistling:

Btw, I added a wash to the STAP tonight. Dayyam! What a difference.

It's not yet up to my liking though. Still needs some more TLC.

Reaction score
Finally got a minute to paint the hands. Had to strip one of the hands cause i totally messed up and now one hand is a little less smooth than the other but thats okay cause its not too noticeable and i plan to build and paint the other hand holding her blaster at some point anyway. I'm also glad I managed to finesse it so that she is able to stand in her contrapposto pose, with the BS cape and without her stand. That was hard to get right at first but now, she is standing quite solidly on her own. I also panel lined parts of her helmet like its shown in the official bandai pics. So, now onto Vader and Threepio eventually and looking forward to getting the 1/6 Stormtrooper as well.

Reaction score
NICE! I never even thought about panel lining her helmet. I will be doing that for sure. Looks much better.

And btw, I'll likely be revealing the completed Battle Droid and STAP tonight. 99% done and I am seriously happy with it :grin:

Last edited: