Bandai : Movie Realization Star Wars

Reaction score
The Stormtrooper variants in this line are superb! Next i want the Archer & Spear man. I'm still on the fence with the Royal Guards, but your pics are swaying me to a purchase.:)
I sold my Ronin Fett, felt he just didn't fit in with my display...I'm totally digging my V1 Vader & various Stormies though.
Are you still sticking to the one of each figure "plan"?
To be honest with you, my first impression of the Royal Guard was to buy one as soon as the figure would come out. That said, I did feel a little hesitant later on after seeing some pictures of him I did not like around the Web. I didn't feel comfortable with the gap between the shoulders and helmet, which made him look like he had a long neck, and also the top part of the helmet that, when pointed up, made him look like having a long nose or beak. Nonetheless I went ahead and bought one sample to see for myself if these issues could be disguised. Indeed. I notice the trick was to push up on his shoulders and shoulder pads to keep them close to the helmet. This gave the whole area a more unified look and minimized the long neck effect. I also realized that by keeping the movable top part of the head down, flushed with the rest of the helmet, that took away the beak appearance and made it all look like one piece, especially when looking at the figure from the sides. So for me, I like the results I got doing this.

As far as upcoming releases, I want the Archer and Spear man badly. I also love the drawings you posted of future figures for the line. I can't wait to get that Gamorrean guard. I am sticking to getting just one of each figure, save for the second Vader that while having a different face plate and helmet decor than his predecessor, I found the rest of the sculpting to be quite similar and not worthy of spending $70.00 - $90.00 on him. So that's the only one I won't be getting.

I remember you saying you did not like much the vibrant colors of the Boba Fett figure, and I can see why he is a figure that could not appeal to everyone. The color of his armor does clash a bit with the more subtle look of other figures and kind of washes off some of the uniformed look of the line so far.

Reaction score
Think BBTS had the SDCC sandtrooper variant...forget the price they were asking.
Yeah. They're asking around $140.00 plus shipping for the figure. I can understand this is a limited exclusive, and exclusives most of the time demand a higher price than regular releases due to their limited numbers. That said, being just the color of the shoulder pad the only difference setting him apart from the regular version, personally I don't feel like spending so much on him. How much was this exclusive at SDCC and/or Celebration Europe?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Sandtrooper exclusive was £82 at CE, that's around $108 at todays exchange rates.

Reaction score
Thanks, Herb. That's a price I would have gladly paid at the event. But secondary market prices are a bit too much for what I'm willing to spend on him. By the way, that rotating (I'm assuming) rock display they are on looks pretty cool.

Reaction score
At SDCC he was $90 plus tax. Worked out to be just under $100 US. I agree though that if someone already has the GR sandtrooper this one isn't a "must have." It's literally 2 more colors pauldrons. Fortunately I didn't get the regular sandtrooper so this one was an easy decision for me.

Honestly they're selling for pretty cheap on eBay for an "exclusive." You might be able to snag one for not that much more than retail if you're patient.

Also FYI to everyone who loves this line like I do - that concept art from SWCE is just of characters they're considering. They won't all get made. The Archer is next and Jango is in the pipeline. I'd fully expect almost every trooper to get made. But the others like Gamorrean or IG88 are just being considered. So if you really want them then it's best to let your voice be heard via their Instagram.

Reaction score
Is the Archer set for release this year? Or is the drummer the last figure for 2016?

Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed information, wyrm12. The exclusive Sandtrooper is something I'm really not in a rush to get, mainly because I already have the regular yellow/orange pauldron version. Just like you recommended, I'm waiting to see if I can score a good deal, say the same price as the figure was at SDCC. If I can't get one, no big deal. More than anything, I just want this Sandtrooper as a novelty piece. As it is, these figures aren't cheap, and most of my funds directed to my collection are being used for statues, mini busts and replicas. I want to invest wisely on these figures, rather concentrate on noticeably different sculpts and/or accessories more than versions of a character showing minute differences. Nonetheless, the completist in me would like to get the exclusive..

The Archer is my favorite figure among the figures we already know are getting released. So I'm glad he is coming out next. I'm still waiting for the Taikoyaku Stormtrooper to hit retail in my area. I assume this will happen within a month give or take. I'll certainly be letting my voice be heard through Bandai's Instagram, if that's what it takes for them to make the Gamorrean Guard, IG-88 and the Snowtrooper. So indeed, I invite every one else interested in any of these sculpts and others seen in the conceptual drawings to do the same. I'm also hoping they get to visit the Scout Trooper and Tie pilot designs at some point.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is the Archer set for release this year? Or is the drummer the last figure for 2016?
Noticing how fast these figures are coming out, I'm thinking the Archer will probably be out this year. The Taikoyaku (drummer) Stormtrooper has already been released, and we still have 5 months to go before the year ends, so hopefully we'll see the Archer this year as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Noticing how fast these figures are coming out, I'm thinking the Archer will probably be out this year. The Taikoyaku (drummer) Stormtrooper has already been released, and we still have 5 months to go before the year ends, so hopefully we'll see the Archer this year as well.
I hope so. The drummer looks good but I think I m going to give him a miss and get another royal guard or orange sand trooper so I can swap the pauldron from my Exclusive version. Do you think they ll add string to the bow?

Reaction score
I hope so. The drummer looks good but I think I m going to give him a miss and get another royal guard or orange sand trooper so I can swap the pauldron from my Exclusive version. Do you think they ll add string to the bow?
That would be a neat feature, and would make sense since the Archer is sporting an armguard used to prevent the bowstring from slapping the arm. That said, I don't know how well a bowstring would work if they were to use plastic to make it. Maybe some sort of elastic band/rubber band could do the job so the bowstring would extend enough to be grabbed by the hand holding the arrow, and retract to a relaxed position when the bow is not in use. The plastic for the bow itself will also need to be soft enough to bend when the bowstring gets pulled, as if being ready to propel the arrow. What we've seen so far are just pictures of the prototype figure, so there might be some changes still pending to authenticate the look of his weapon even further.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wish we could buy those cool display bases.
QUOTE=Herb;19831635]The Sandtrooper exclusive was £82 at CE, that's around $108 at todays exchange rates.
[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
The Archer does look cool, and I may get him. But I hope to see something different soon, I can handle only so many Vader and Stormy variants.

Reaction score
So I got the stormtrooper via epacket in 10 days from China for like 29.99. The tray was taped shut, but I noticed the gun had a peg hole, and the curved flintlock hammer was missing. I contacted the seller...waiting for a reply. Did I in fact get a bootleg...and if so, how do I tell?

Reaction score
So I got the stormtrooper via epacket in 10 days from China for like 29.99. The tray was taped shut, but I noticed the gun had a peg hole, and the curved flintlock hammer was missing. I contacted the seller...waiting for a reply. Did I in fact get a bootleg...and if so, how do I tell?
The first thing to point out is the price. Too cheap of a price for something so collectible and demanded. For the most part I've noticed bootleggers on Ebay are disguising the word "bootleg" by calling these reproductions "Chinese version" These are some of the specifics on how to detect it is a bootleg:

- Flimsy plastic used for its manufacturing. Plastic is soft and somewhat stretchable, not as strong as the actual Bandai figure.

- Smell of plastic is different: If you have a figure you know for a fact is an original, compare the smell of the plastic. The smell of the bootleg differs from the original

- Details on the figure are not as crisp.

- Joints come loose, especially at the shoulders. Parts don't stay together for long as soon as you start to articulate the figure.

- White plastic not as white as original Bandai figure.

- Weathering on the figure is heavier on some parts while non existent on others.

- Details on the Katana handle lacking crispiness, and the plastic is softer than the original.

- The mechanism on the blaster could be missing with just a hole where the trigger should have been.

- Some of the silver color on the blaster has bled over the brown areas.

- The graphics on the box, although identical to Bandai's, seem a little washed out and the black inks are not as dark as on Bandai's box.

- Printed instructions are of lower quality than original. Not as crisp.

* If there's a Barnes and Noble, GameStop or ThinkGeek store near you, I would recommend looking for an actual Bandai Stormtrooper there, and bringing it home for comparison. You can always return it if you do not want to keep it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bandai : Movie Realization Star Wars

For those folks that enjoy a little "out of the ordinary" take on Star Wars, the Meisho Movie Realization Star Wars line by Tamashii Nations of super pose-able figures won't be a disappointment. The line basically re-imagines legendary Star Wars characters paying homage to the Samurai aesthetic, dressed in Feudal-style Japanese armor and weaponry, where much of Lucas' visions originated when creating Star Wars. Because of its unfamiliar look, this concept in mash-up design may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it is indeed a well thought out and executed idea, breaking away from the common Star Wars style, and offering the collector a new take on the Saga, very appealing to the eye. Priced at around $90.00 each these are not cheap, nonetheless, you get a lot for your buck..

Movie Realization figures are approximately 7 inches tall, and finely crafted by some of Japan's top sculpting talent. One can tell by the quality and detailed of their intricate designs how much care was placed into their creation. Each super articulated sculpt features an endless amount of poses, with up to 15 points of articulation. This doesn't compromise the tightness of the joints, which firmly keep any given pose in place without becoming loose. Depending on the character, each figure gets packed with stylized blasters, rifles, Katanas, and several sets of hands, allowing the collector to be creative with the poses. Paint application is another plus, being nothing short of perfect.

Here are some pictures of the first three figures already released in the line. Many more have been announced, including a Royal Guard, another Vader and a Sandtrooper

SAMURAI TAISHO DARTH VADER

I only noticed it recently...
May I ask -what is that knob/joint at the back of Vader's armour(bottom Left of pic) made for?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I only noticed it recently...
May I ask -what is that knob/joint at the back of Vader's armour(bottom Left of pic) made for?
Sure. The ball jointed knob acts as a peg that gets inserted on the reverse side of Vader's cape. It allows for some side to side movement of the cape while keeping it in place. Here is a picture...

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the info. It is indeed scheduled to be released on March 31st , 2017
I'm looking forward to getting this figure. Here are some detailed pictures ...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some Japanese names found in the writing for this line that might be of interest to some of us :

AKAZONAE: A samurai dressed in armor that has been dyed with red lacquer. A luxury at the time, red armor stood out conspicuously on the battlefield and was often used for elite troops led by a commander who excelled in valor. The glory such commanders earned was symbolized by the red armor

ASHIGARU: Foot soldiers that started as nothing more than farmers pulled from the fields to swell a Daimyo's army. As time passed they became a professional fighting force included in the Samurai caste. Samurai themselves lamented the rise of "Ashigaru warfare" as the humble foot soldier stole their thunder.

JIDAIGEKI: a genre of historical dramas, such as The Hidden Fortress, which influenced the development of Star Wars. The word "Jedi" is thought to have been derived by George Lucas from this Japanese word.

RONIN: Literally meaning "wave man", someone who is socially adrift, without a home. During the Feudal Period in Japan (1185 to 1868), a Ronin was a Samurai that became master-less from the death or fall of his lord, or after losing his master's privileges. Someone also who had fled or deserted his master's land.

SAMURAI: Fearsome warriors with strong traditions of honor and discipline. Members of a powerful military caste, especially of the class of military retainers of the Daimyos, who were the most powerful rulers (Lords) from the 10th century to the middle 19th century in feudal Japan.

TAIKOYAKU: In Feudal Japan the Taiko Yaku (drummer) was a foot soldier present during orders and public announcements. His presence was vital keeping the troops motivated and maintaining their formation by beating on the Taiko (drums) as they marched to and entered battle. The traditional belief is that the sound of the Taiko (drums) frightened evil spirits as it resembled the calming heartbeat reverberating inside a warrior's heart.

TAISHO : It is the military term describing the ranks for a General.

TANEGASHIMA: Japanese matchlock. Design looks like the BlasTech E-11 blaster rifle.

TEPPO (ASHIGARU): Literally translated it means "Iron Cannon", the term for European Matchlock firearms, the first firearm to be introduced to Japan. While some forms of gunpowder weapons existed in Japan earlier, these European firearms made a major impact upon Samurai warfare. Teppo Ashigaru describes a particular foot soldier sporting such weapon.

YUMI: From Japanese meaning "archery bow".

Last edited:
Reaction score
LightSword--Thanks for all the information you provide. I picked up the Imperial Guard this weekend almost a year to the day that I bought the Stormtrooper. I also have the Sandtrooper. I initially had no interest in Vader, but I may eventually pick one of the two. Not that interested in Boba. I can't wait for the Yumi Stormtrooper to come out.

Reaction score
LightSword--Thanks for all the information you provide. I picked up the Imperial Guard this weekend almost a year to the day that I bought the Stormtrooper. I also have the Sandtrooper. I initially had no interest in Vader, but I may eventually pick one of the two. Not that interested in Boba. I can't wait for the Yumi Stormtrooper to come out.
You are welcome, and thank you for your kind comment, Desert_Trooper. I'm glad to share with everyone the interest in this line and any beneficial information that could be provided. Movie Realization has had the same impact on me as when I first started mini bust collecting over a decade ago. Once you get to hold in your hands one of these figures and experience its quality and attention to detail, you'd most likely want to start picking up the rest. It's sort of addictive in a visual sense. Glad to read you now have a growing collection of these gems, and are looking forward to the Archer. I hope you continue to collect these, and share your opinion with the rest of us.

Personally I'm not interested in army building any troopers. I'm picking up just one of each to show armor styles, accessories and different weaponry. I bought only the first Vader out of the two released, as it was the most appealing to me, and also because I felt that other than the helmets' crests, the remaining differences between the two were subtle. That said, either one is a great sculpt. I still have to pick up the Taikoyaku Stormtrooper (drummer), so I've got this one figure to look forward to this year. Like you, I'm very interested in obtaining the Archer next year. It seems like an eternity from now until his upcoming release at the end of March, six long months away or more. The line sure enough offers a lot of attractiveness as far as creative design, fantastic craftsmanship, and educational value. I certainly hope it lasts for a long time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the link, Sergiu. Personally, I see plenty of reasons to stick to the originals.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the link, Sergiu. Personally, I see plenty of reasons to stick to the originals.
Exactly. This is also a good way to verify if you are getting an original or a bootleg sold as original.

Reaction score
Exactly. This is also a good way to verify if you are getting an original or a bootleg sold as original.
Wow. Thanks for the share Sergiu.

Bootleggers are much more brazen nowadays (based on packaging)...
Last time they used to have deliberate spelling inaccuracies here and there
eg. Ashigar'O' instead of Ashigaru that kinda thing...

Now they just copy word for word....

Reaction score
Finally got around to getting one of the Taikoyaku Stormtrooper figures from my local collectibles store. Beautifully accessorized with a drum set, a pair of drumsticks, a conch shell instrument, a flag set with back mounting receptacle, and four interchangeable hands for an array of poses, the figure adds variety and interest to the collection ...

Last edited:
Reaction score
The 'Seashell' trumpet is quite an ingenious touch....
Thanks for the share , LightSword.
Your welcome. Happy to share with the rest of the collector community.

The conch shell (Horogai or Jinkai) is indeed a quite ingenious touch, having a bit of historical value backing up its presence as part of the accessories for this set. The real life instrument consists not only of the large conch shell, but also of a wooden or bronze mouthpiece that allows it to make a series of sounds, as opposed to only one loud blast or note. The combination of notes from the "War Shell", as it is also known, would signal troops to attack, withdraw or change battle plans. It was sometimes used to confuse the enemy who might misread the number of troops attacking or what the various battle signals might be. An experienced trumpeter (Taikoyaku), would have to be an adept musician and would be valued greatly by the Japanese feudal lords or Samurai for their talents. Because the temperatures in the high mountains in Japan could easily drop below zero, it is said that the wooden or bronze mouthpiece was added so that the trumpeter’s lips would not freeze to the shell in the extreme cold.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your welcome. Happy to share with the rest of the collector community.

The conch shell (Horogai or Jinkai) is indeed a quite ingenious instrument. It consists, not only of the large conch shell but also of a wooden or bronze mouthpiece that allows the instrument to make a series of sounds, as opposed to only one loud blast or note. The combination of notes from the "War Shell", as it is also known, would signal troops to attack, withdraw or change battle plans. It was sometimes used to confuse the enemy who might misread the number of troops attacking or what the various battle signals might be. An experienced trumpeter (Taikoyaku), would have to be an adept musician and would be valued greatly by the Japanese feudal lords or Samurai for their talents. Because the temperatures in the high mountains in Japan could easily drop below zero, it is said that the wooden or bronze mouthpiece was added so that the trumpeter’s lips would not freeze to the shell in the extreme cold.
Wow. I didn't even know(until now) that was an actual instrument they used during those times!
Interesting piece of history lesson - thanks again for sharing, Julian.

.... I can only imagine in this case it being Star Wars, those fellas
will be playing to the Imperial march tune when they advance in war ;)

Reaction score
are there any news regarding some prototypes for the light side? I can easily see Luke and Obi Wan as two Samurai; master and apprentice.. Han and Chewy could be ronins.. Lots and Lots of potential for the light side.. especially with traditional samurai clothes..