Bandai : Movie Realization Star Wars

Reaction score
Bandai : Movie Realization Star Wars

For those folks that enjoy a little "out of the ordinary" take on Star Wars, the Meisho Movie Realization Star Wars line by Tamashii Nations of super pose-able figures won't be a disappointment. The line basically re-imagines legendary Star Wars characters paying homage to the Samurai aesthetic, dressed in Feudal-style Japanese armor and weaponry, where much of Lucas' visions originated when creating Star Wars. Because of its unfamiliar look, this concept in mash-up design may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it is indeed a well thought out and executed idea, breaking away from the common Star Wars style, and offering the collector a new take on the Saga, very appealing to the eye. Priced at around $90.00 each these are not cheap, nonetheless, you get a lot for your buck..

Movie Realization figures are approximately 7 inches tall, and finely crafted by some of Japan's top sculpting talent. One can tell by the quality and detailed of their intricate designs how much care was placed into their creation. Each super articulated sculpt features an endless amount of poses, with up to 15 points of articulation. This doesn't compromise the tightness of the joints, which firmly keep any given pose in place without becoming loose. Depending on the character, each figure gets packed with stylized blasters, rifles, Katanas, and several sets of hands, allowing the collector to be creative with the poses. Paint application is another plus, being nothing short of perfect.

Here are some pictures of the first three figures already released in the line. Many more have been announced, including a Royal Guard, another Vader and a Sandtrooper

SAMURAI TAISHO DARTH VADER

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think you'll be disappointed. They're really well made. I bought mine from my local CBS also, and paid less than the $90.00 MSRP, since I'm a known customer and I get a discount. That said, if you or anyone interested have a Barnes & Noble near by, and have a membership with them, they can be purchased there for less than their retail price using the discount their membership offers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Finally received the Ronin Fett a couple days ago. very nice looking so far, although i haven't opened the box yet. Still need to find a place to display him. One of the reasons/problems I haven't gotten into the bigger figures, space.

The Trooper doesn't interest me at all. But I might get the Vader one eventually.

Reaction score
Here are some official pictures of the Darth Vader #2 figure released in December, and other upcoming figures for this year:

- Teppou Ashigaru Sandtrooper: February (Japan)

- Akazonae Royal Guard: May
(Japan)

- Taikoyaku Stormtrooper: June
(Japan)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I cannot wait to get that royal guard!

The sandtrooper's big gun cracks me up.

Reaction score
Yeah, that Royal Guard does look nifty!

Another Vader and Stormy though seems too soon. Could have done one of the other Trooper styles, like maybe Hoth or Biker Scout. Or even one from the PT. I'm guessing they'll stick to armored characters, due to the nature of the theme.

Reaction score
I cannot wait to get that royal guard!

The sandtrooper's big gun cracks me up.
I agree. The Sandtrooper's matchlock-style rifle borderlines on the comedic side of things. But as funny as it looks, it appears to be an artistic interpretation on the Ozutsu hand-cannon, a weapon that could be loaded with a variety of ammunition, lead b.a.l.l.s. and arrows for use at close range...

It's interesting how besides these figures being super cool looking, they also show historical value. The Taikoyagu Stormtrooper (drummer stormtrooper), for instance, sports a striking drum, but those (Taiko drum) were actually used during feudal times to ward off evil and strengthen the courage of young warrior going into battle. The banner, called a Nobori is also very representative of those times, and the conch shell (Horagai) was also traditionally used as a battlefield horn.

The Royal Guard is awesome, and the fact you can actually remove the crimson robes to expose the armor underneath showing the imperial cog, makes it even better. Personally, being a Samurai movie fan since I was a kid, enjoying movies with Toshiro Mifune and Shintaro Katsu (Zatoichi), building up this collection is something of a nostalgic value I very much look forward to. It would be a very unique display having all these figures on a shelf.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, that Royal Guard does look nifty!

Another Vader and Stormy though seems too soon. Could have done one of the other Trooper styles, like maybe Hoth or Biker Scout. Or even one from the PT. I'm guessing they'll stick to armored characters, due to the nature of the theme.
They are in fact considering a take on Jango Fett as a child with Boba Fett, as well as other characters. A Jango Fett figure was shown last year, so he is coming and would be the first PT character produced for the line. In some of the social media where they participate, Bandai has been asking collectors what characters they want to see added to this line. Apparently they are listening and paying attention to requests. I agree with you, a Biker Scout would be a pretty cool figure to have made in Samurai armor.

Here are some of the characters being considered:

- Darth Maul as Oni
- Yoda as Sennin (Recluse Sage/Hermit)
- Boba Fett and Jango Fett as Lone Wolf and Cub
- C-3PO and R2-D2 as Ornaments and Bells
- AT-AT Walker in Samurai Horse bridling
- Princess Leia in Kimono

- Here is a series of slides from SDCC last year, showing what is being considered to be made.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This past December during a special exhibit in Tokyo, Bandai Movie Realization showcased a new figure: Ronin Jango Fett at their Akihabara Showroom. From the looks of it, Jango appears to be a re-paint of the Ronin BobaFett , with the addition of a set of holsters and blaster pistols. I think Jango looks quite striking in his re-imagined armor. The release date for this figure is not yet known.

Last edited:
Reaction score
- Besides the Drummer Stormtrooper we've seen, there are more Footsoldiers to come out, including a Spearman and an Archer, as announced last year during SDCC...

Last edited:
Reaction score
This past December during a special exhibit in Tokyo, Bandai Movie Realization showcased a new figure: Ronin Jango Fett at their Akihabara Showroom. From the looks of it, Jango appears to be a re-paint of the Ronin BobaFett , with the addition of a set of holsters and blaster pistols. I think Jango looks quite striking in his re-imagined armor. The release date for Jango is not yet known.

I hadn't seen this, but I love it.

Reaction score
It would be very interesting to see how they pull off making the AT-AT. If Bandai gets the green light to have the it produced, I'm not sure what scale they'll use. If they choose to stay within the same scale as the figures, which I doubt they would, this AT-AT could be rather large.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Jango looks great, I'll definitely get him! Leia has promise, but I'd have to wait and see how the final product turns out. Yoda, not likely something I'd like. Maul, unsure.
be interesting to see their take on Luke or Obi-Wan though, they might be cool looking.

Reaction score
All these figures are incredible. I'm really loving the look of the stormtrooper and the first Vader posted.

Reaction score
I own the Bandai Ashigaru (Samurai) Stormtrooper, such a cool and creative figure:

Will not collect others, even if they are looking fantastic. But I really wish they would make these in 1/6 scale too.

Reaction score
All these figures are incredible. I'm really loving the look of the stormtrooper and the first Vader posted.
They sure are. In a collector world plagued by rehashes and delays, it is nice to see a company come up with such fresh, creative idea and being consistent with their releases.

I own the Bandai Ashigaru (Samurai) Stormtrooper, such a cool and creative figure. Will not collect others, even if they are looking fantastic. But I really wish they would make these in 1/6 scale too.
Congrats on having one of these figures added to your beautiful collection, Sergiu. It would be fantastic if they ever decide to have them also made in the 1/6 scale, as that could only enhance even further the intricate detailing and rendering of the line. But even at the smaller/space saving scale they're made, owning at least one of them will only add more visual interest to one's collection. They're strikingly appealing to the eye. Personally , I will continue collecting them. I will enjoy seeing a shelf or two with all these Star Wars characters paying homage to the world famous Samurai aesthetic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the original Vader and Stormtrooper. Trying to decide if Vader v2 is worth spending the extra $. Fett and Royal guard are my absolute favorites. I would very much like them to do Obi Wan and Luke at one point.. Also Han and Chewy could be portrayed in an interesting way where Chewy could be Han's monster or pet or whatever..

Reaction score
I have the original Vader and Stormtrooper. Trying to decide if Vader v2 is worth spending the extra $. Fett and Royal guard are my absolute favorites. I would very much like them to do Obi Wan and Luke at one point.. Also Han and Chewy could be portrayed in an interesting way where Chewy could be Han's monster or pet or whatever..
I can hardly wait to get my hands on the Royal Guard. If pictures are doing it justice, the design and versatility of the sculpt to me are fantastic, plus the color of his outfit will pop up nicely among the more subtle black and white sculpts on the shelf, and will be a nice contrast as well against the green/yellow armor of the Boba Fett figure.

As for Vader version 2, I've also been thinking about getting it, but at this point I'm not too sure I will. It isn't much different than the first version, other than the noticeable Death Star head piece and some minor details, and while I think the face looks better than the first version (local store has it on display), I think I rather save the money for the upcoming Drummer Trooper, Archer, Spearman, Sandtrooper and the Royal Guard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would also like Medieval Knights Star Wars figures and even Steampunk ones.
I wouldn't mind seeing some Star Wars Steampunk figures either. From time to time I've seen some cool looking Star Wars Steampunk weaponry out there to make a nice display with all of them together.

Last edited:
Reaction score
now that's interesting.. I didn't know the face sculpt is different... I might eventually give in and buy him as well :) when I look at the royal guard, I want to purchase 2 of them just in case Bandai also releases an Emperor Palpatine figure in the future :)

I can hardly wait to get my hands on the Royal Guard. If pictures are doing it justice, the design and versatility of the sculpt to me are fantastic, plus the color of his outfit will pop up nicely among the more subtle black and white sculpts on the shelf, and will be a nice contrast as well against the green/yellow armor of the Boba Fett figure.

As for Vader version 2, I've also been thinking about getting it, but at this point I'm not too sure I will. It isn't much different than the first version, other than the noticeable Death Star head piece and some minor details, and while I think the face looks better than the first version (local store has it on display), I think I rather save the money for the upcoming Drummer Trooper, Archer, Spearman, Sandtrooper and the Royal Guard.

Reaction score
now that's interesting.. I didn't know the face sculpt is different... I might eventually give in and buy him as well :) ...
You can see it better here in this comparison I put together. The face sculpt, helmet decor, and chest area are the most noticeable differences between the two releases. There are other differences, but those are subtle:

...when I look at the royal guard, I want to purchase 2 of them just in case Bandai also releases an Emperor Palpatine figure in the future
I certainly hope they release and Emperor figure. That'd be a fantastic addition to what already is a great line. The Royal Guard, offering two different looks to have him displayed (by removing his robe) is certainly a figure to buy more than one. If our wishful thinking turns into reality, and an Emperor figure gets released at some point in the future, buying two of the Royal Guard would be practically a mandatory action. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can see it better here in this comparison I put together. The face sculpt, helmet decor, and chest area are the most noticeable differences between the two releases. There are other differences, but those are subtle:

I certainly hope they release and Emperor figure. That'd be a fantastic addition to what already is a great line. The Royal Guard, offering two different looks to have him displayed (by removing his robe) is certainly a figure to buy more than one. If our wishful thinking turns into reality, and an Emperor figure gets released at some point in the future, buying two of the Royal Guard would be practically a mandatory action. :)
Both Vaders are nice, but if given a choice
I'd prefer the 1st release forehead logo and chest plate,
but for the helmet I prefer the 2nd release.

Just a personal preference.

Reaction score
Both Vaders are nice, but if given a choice
I'd prefer the 1st release forehead logo and chest plate,
but for the helmet I prefer the 2nd release.

Just a personal preference.
That's exactly how I feel about them. The helmet crest or maedate on the second release is rather striking, thus more attractive to me. That said, I prefer the look of the chest plate on the first release over the rib cage style of the second.

Reaction score
I got an e-mail from EE that my sandtrooper pre-order is processing.

Reaction score
The Sandtrooper I ordered arrived the other day. The extra large rifle is awesomely ridiculous. A great addition to the series. This collection of mine keeps growing (Vader-both versions, Stormtrooper, Sandtrooper and Boba). Bring on the Royal Guard.

Reaction score
The Sandtrooper I ordered arrived the other day. The extra large rifle is awesomely ridiculous. A great addition to the series. This collection of mine keeps growing (Vader-both versions, Stormtrooper, Sandtrooper and Boba). Bring on the Royal Guard.

Congrats on the new arrival. Post some pictures of your Sandtrooper when you get a chance, Antman. I'll be getting mine next month.