Bandai AT-ST Kit

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have just purchased the new Bandai 1/48 scale AT-ST kit and will do a full review of it once in hand. Really looking forward to this build, a chance to try out some weathering effects. Looking forward to the 1/12 scale R2 & C3PO around the supposed April release. Keep you posted!

Reaction score
Kit Received

Received the new kit yesterday, my first impressions are WOW! Check out all the sprues, will have the feel of a mini studio model as a result. I was expecting something like the old AMT kit in terms of parts although I did find more images on the web of the opened kit after I ordered it. The sculpt is up to Bandai's usual high standard.

The kit comes with two Imperial driver figures in a pretty standard aircraft kit type molding, would have been nice to have had separate arms to achieve some differences in pose. They almost look like Egyptian tomb statues with their massive boots, no matter as you won't see them in any case. The interior detail is excellent and I aim to show that off with the build. Also comes with a nice Chewy figure in a two part assembly. It does have separate and nice done hydraulic cables with is more than you'd expect in a kit in this scale.

This kit also comes with the water slide decal and stickers found in the previous releases although the only marking relevant to the vehicle is a blast stain. The rest are Empire logos that are of little use other that decorating a mobile device with them. I actually tried using on the decals from the Stormy kit on the base and they weren't very opaque so discarded them, gimmick really.

The base or stand will need some scenic work to complete the display effect, more of a modellers build requiring paint unlike the Stormtrooper kit. Will start with the base and I will post pictures as it progresses. The finished model will end up standing an inch or so taller than the Stormy kit.

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/903/iEBjde.jpg

Reaction score
Display Base Decoration

Decided to begin with the base of the model as I was keen to try out my newly constructed static grass applicator (made form a converted electric bug swatter and a tea strainer), it worked a treat and all for the princely sum of about $6US! Really does make the grass stand up. Applied a layer of ground medium first, in this case some pumice powder I've had for years and then sealed with black paint. Then layers of soil color using airbrush and hand brushed pastel chalk. Still need to add some laser cut ferns to this for the correct Endor feel.

Reaction score
AT-ST Base professionally done!!!!

Wow.... this totally ROCKS!!!! If this is how the base looks I'm expecting total awesomeness for the model!!!! B)

Reaction score
Wow.... this totally ROCKS!!!! If this is how the base looks I'm expecting total awesomeness for the model!!!! B)
Thanks Ray, I'm approaching it a bit differently to the awesome work of Andy Moore. Have decided to start with a silver base, want chipped paint here and there showing this.

myc

Reaction score
any updates ? Ordered mine as well ! finally a 1/48 AT-AST

Reaction score
Although I haven't seen the end results yet,
based on the base-plate diorama so far,
"I have a GOOD feeling about this..." :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Finally some progress

After many months absence from this project finally have something to add. Was never intended to take this long but the events of this year meant I wasn't in a good state of mind to build a model kit. Involved a poisonous work colleague who tried to have me fired which resulted in a near nervous breakdown. Not good and wouldn't wish this on even a sith lord.

Anywho as you can see I have nearly completed detailing the interior which has so much detail packed in I decided to go crazy, the drivers and Chewy are finished now also. Have also plans to make the top of the cabin removable using magnets to secure it. Sorry for the delay and enjoy.

Reaction score
Moving along now happy to say. Have completed the sub-assemblies and now ready for pre-shading. I painted everything with Tamiya chrome silver while on the sprue trees. Once dry I hit it with hair spray, this will allow for paint chipping later on. I also removed the male locating blocks from the cabin interior and using my dremel drilled out depressions deep enough to accommodate small steel panels gluing them in place with super glue. I then filled the area sanding and painting over to hide. See the circled areas on the photo. The female locators were fitted with blocks cut from a scrap refrigerator door magnet. It's easy to cut and the four easily hold the cabins top in place. I found the leg assembly a little tricky, the joints fit tightly and care must be taken but with a little movement of the joint everything pushed together fine. I also noticed that the top rail and side gun support are made of a soft durable plastic that will no doubt ensure neither snap off being so fine, good thinking Bandai! So far I've used virtually no glue as the push fit is so good, some smaller parts will require glue however. I'll post some shots of the pre-shade stage soon.

Reaction score
Pre shading done

Have now completed the initial painting pre shade. My simple Tamiya Spraywork single action airbrush doesn't really do this very well as it produces a rather thick line but good enough to create some tonal depth to the model. I'll use pastel chalks later to enhance things along with washes and dry brushing.

Reaction score
Paint!

First cote of top color applied. Now comes brushing on pastel chalk powders for more depth. The pre-shading is subtle but will pop once matt clear is applied later.

Reaction score
Pastel chalk shading applied

Pastel chalk applied with stumped brushes, this took a while to do but will be so worth it. Next comes a light over spray wash of the base color to soften the effect a little. I applied streaks and the blast damage to the cabin front at this stage but will need to emphasize them again no doubt.

Reaction score
Chalk over spray done

Chalk apps with another light coat of the base color applied. Blends everything nicely and now I'll start chipping the paint and add some more pastel weathering.