AW DL-44 Makeover

Reaction score
Well it's only been 7 months since I purchased and finally took this off the shelf and had a proper look at it, covid lock-down means I have no excuse not to. When I purchased this AW GBB airsoft replica it had been messed with. The retaining screw behind the scope mount and hop adjusting screw cover were missing. Wondered why the scope was wobbly. Mechanism works fine but not keen to try it out as it's intended as a click trigger display piece in any case. This is my first DL-44 and likely will be it for a while so wanted to do it justice.

Found these prop replica images from Crucible Custom Props, beautiful work and so good have decided I want to use as a rough guide with this less than 100% accurate but cool prop weapon. ANHesque with the 3D printed parts from Shapeways designed by Sly Tools developed in collaboration with the late Robiwon who I never had dealings with, but who as I have come to understand was a hugely talented and active contributor to the hobby in general including his impressive fully lit scale models. Always generous with others and greatly missed. He lives on in these forums and continues to inspire newbies like myself. I have ordered his fine ANH grill and also the Sly Tools Barrel Sight. Have already removed the SOLO wheel making way for the mystery disk. Might nut out a few other cosmetic improvements but it will be as close as I can make it. Previous owners had a go at detailing with sandpaper, so decided to fully sand back certain areas clean so I have a blank canvas.

Top photo is as received, now beginning the cleanup. Wet/dry paper at this stage. Feel free to add your own AW projects here and any pointers you might have. This is my first DL-44 replica and couldn't pass it up.

1613553589926.png
anh.JPG
710x528_18868199_10974517_1568460883_1_0.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well it's only been 7 months since I purchased and finally took this off the shelf and had a proper look at it, covid lock-down means I have no excuse not to. When I purchased this AW GBB airsoft replica it had been messed with. The retaining screw behind the scope mount and hop adjusting screw cover were missing. Wondered why the scope was wobbly. Mechanism works fine but not keen to try it out as it's intended as a click trigger display piece in any case. This is my first DL-44 and likely will be it for a while so wanted to do it justice.

Found these prop replica images from Crucible Custom Props, beautiful work and so good have decided I want to use as a rough guide with this less than 100% accurate but cool prop weapon. ANHesque with the 3D printed parts from Shapeways designed by Sly Tools developed in collaboration with the late Robiwon who I never had dealings with, but who as I have come to understand was a hugely talented and active contributor to the hobby in general including his impressive fully lit scale models. Always generous with others and greatly missed. He lives on in these forums and continues to inspire newbies like myself. I have ordered his fine ANH grill and also the Sly Tools Barrel Sight. Have already removed the SOLO wheel making way for the mystery disk. Might nut out a few other cosmetic improvements but it will be as close as I can make it. Previous owners had a go at detailing with sandpaper, so decided to fully sand back certain areas clean so I have a blank canvas.

Top photo is as received, now beginning the cleanup. Wet/dry paper at this stage. Feel free to add your own AW projects here and any pointers you might have. This is my first DL-44 replica and couldn't pass it up.

View attachment 400651
View attachment 400652
View attachment 400653
Started with prepping the mystery disk area and have also removed the selector switch cutting from the pin and fixing to the single fire position. All being filled with epoxy putty making sure to tape from the interior so nothing protrudes inside. Next comes some faux surface remodeling to resemble the desired look.

IMG_2115 (2).JPGIMG_2116 (2).JPG

Reaction score
Filled surface details prior to making veneers. Made a template using a paper pressing spray glued and applied to construction card. You can see it will never be exact but will use the print out as a rough guide. Have allowed clear spaces for the scope rail. Plan to rotate the lanyard loop also. Like the idea of this still being a functional air pistol so the mag catch will stay. Too much structurally off with it to ever be anything other than a hybrid in any case.

IMG_2121 (2).JPGIMG_2122 (2).JPG
IMG_2125 (2).JPGIMG_2126 (2).JPG
IMG_2138 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2124 (1).JPG
    IMG_2124 (1).JPG
    556.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reaction score
Finally have the surface layout how I think it will work best. Came up with a template which I did end up reshaping once applied. Used hole punches to achieve the corners however ended up carving anyway, good in theory right ;) Attached the construction card with epoxy and super glues for max strength then trimming/reshaping using light cure putty mostly above the trigger arch until the OCD in me 🤪 was sort of satisfied. Work to do other side but getting there. Also rotated the lanyard loop 90 degrees bonding with epoxy putty. Ready for a cote of primer to clarify and check the layout, kind of hard to see with all the sanded filler etc. Mystery disk will be added once printed grill from Shapeways arrives, according to the schedule that has been finished and the barrel sight can't be far behind. Love these guys!

IMG_2140 (2).JPGIMG_2144 (2).JPGIMG_2145 (2).JPGIMG_2147 (2).JPGIMG_2150 (2).JPGIMG_2148 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2146 (2).JPG
    IMG_2146 (2).JPG
    420.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reaction score
Finally the first primer cote. Spent some time with a dremel and worked the grooves into the slide facings. For this I super glued on steel rods as a guide rail. Have also filled and filed down the bull barrel. Need some filler here and there but it's coming along.

IMG_2167 (2).JPGIMG_2187 (2).JPG
IMG_2188 (2).JPGIMG_2205 (2).JPG
IMG_2206 (2).JPGIMG_2185 (2).JPG

Last edited: