AVIVA/HASBRO: Dark Crystal - Unproduced Toys

Reaction score
Based on the images I've seen, I'll be buying them all! Dark Crystal created one of the most amazing fantasy worlds in film, thanks to Henson and Froud.

Reaction score
Based on the images I've seen, I'll be buying them all! Dark Crystal created one of the most amazing fantasy worlds in film, thanks to Henson and Froud.
This line looks to be amazing! I secured the landstrider and its crazy cool! The back sows the upcoming figures. There will be an exclusive Garthim that comes with A winged Kira and closed mouth figure at NY comicon!!!

Reaction score
I found the image on ebay, they all look fantastic, its only disappointing that Jen seems to be identical, save for the accessory:

Reaction score
I'm only disappointed that one of the Kiras doesn't have a wider stance to allow her to sit astride the Landstrider, like the Jen in the two pack does (that and the single carded Jen is holding the Crystal shard - not sure yet if it is part of the sculpt or an accessory). I've ordered two Landstriders to have each gelfling ride.

Oh well, I'm sure it will hold its value and I can unload one later.

Last edited:

bac

Reaction score
It seems like some of the Aviva stuff has been changing hands recently based on Ebay sales.

Have the owners here bailed?

Reaction score
I dont see any recent sales of prototype figures, what exactly sold? If they are changing hands, it's not all that surprising, considering the Funko line has been released. I imagine the demand and value on the prototypes and pewter figure sets will take a dip. The prototype figures certainly will remain important and valuable, but considering the Funko figures look much better and are far cheaper, i dont see many collectors hunting for vintage items.

bac

Reaction score
This auction included a ton of paper: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Crystal-Hasbro-Kenner-Pre-Production-2D-Art-Concept-Art-Mock-Ups-Lot-/401255924600

I'm not so sure the vintage stuff will take a big dip in interest over the long run. The same logic applied to Star Wars doesn't work. Just because superior figures exist there's history in the Aviva stuff and certain collectors will always appreciate and chase that regardless of the Funko line.

That said I'd be thrilled if the Aviva figures hit the open market at lower prices, or if another find was made.

Reaction score
They're important and will remain valuable like i said, but thats mostly because of rarity and the history wrapped in an unproduced line. The majority of DC fans will focus on the Funko lines though, not even considering the prototypes. Likewise, due to such limited availability, most collectors probably dont even consider it a viable line to collect. The prototype figures themselves likely will remain in private collections until those individuals pass, or need to sell them for whatever reason. Those who paid thousands, doubtfully want to part with them at all. The paper items surrounding the line are easier to find, but have limited appeal. I noticed a proof on ebay, and while interesting, it's hard to imagine someone spending $2,500.00+ on a large sheet of paper...

Reaction score
I sold my collection some time ago and it has since been broken up and some pieces resold. Such is the way of collecting - I wish I could afford to keep everything! This way more people get to experience the line.

I would never view a collecting goal as impossible. It's possible to put the core set back together someday albeit a significant challenge. When I started collecting this line I had 0 pieces lol. It takes work, networking, research & money.

I agree that the value of these vintage pieces won't be impacted in any way by the new stuff. If anything they could be increased as more people get drawn to Dark Crystal collectibles and discover the existence of the vintage pieces. I don't think there's any doubt that's what has happened with Star Wars over the years.

Anyway it's a great line and I still wish it had been produced. I also hope Henson actually makes a new movie one of these days. There have been many years of rumors......

bac

Reaction score
The irony is even the Funco stuff isn't easy to put together a full set. Garthim and Winged Kira (NYCC exclusive) have been steadily rising in price and will now set you back $200+. One of those will never get a retail release.

The Chamberlain doesn't last long either. BBTS sold out of their pre-orders.

I'm personally interested in owning a few Aviva pieces. It's no rush; I figure the opportunity will eventually come along.

There won't be a movie sequel anytime soon because The Power of the Dark Crystal completed script was turned into a comic book. Issue 1 of 12 is coming out next month:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-crystal-sequel-finally-coming-life-thanks-comic-book-series-949591

Maybe the right studio will one day get the rights and by the 50th anniversary we'll get a proper movie sequel. One can dream.

I noticed a proof on ebay, and while interesting, it's hard to imagine someone spending $2,500.00+ on a large sheet of paper...
I saw that as well and it's horrifically overpriced. Even large Revenge of the Jedi box proofs don't go for that much. Not to mention it's for the Mystic who is probably the most least wanted character in the series.

The price I'd offer for that proof is below half of half of what he wants for it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Most of this lot were copies, not the original work.

This auction included a ton of paper: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Crystal-Hasbro-Kenner-Pre-Production-2D-Art-Concept-Art-Mock-Ups-Lot-/401255924600

I'm not so sure the vintage stuff will take a big dip in interest over the long run. The same logic applied to Star Wars doesn't work. Just because superior figures exist there's history in the Aviva stuff and certain collectors will always appreciate and chase that regardless of the Funko line.

That said I'd be thrilled if the Aviva figures hit the open market at lower prices, or if another find was made.

Reaction score
Most of this lot were copies, not the original work.
That's rather misleading :) The lot was all pre-production materials, even if there were some photographs of the box/cards and a few lithographs, if that's what is meant by 'copies'? They were all made as part of the production process for the line as a whole at the time. Actually a good portion of the items were hand drawn, namely a variety of logo designs (even some cut to shape), box art sketches and trace/layout diagrams, and even some figure sketches (possibly for how they intended to look on the card back), albeit like are possibly scans. There's even a couple of cutout 'proofs' albeit not on card but glossy photo-paper.

Last edited:

bac

Reaction score
That could be the last Aviva-related DC sale for awhile. It seems like most of it has changed hands over the past couple years and is now squirreled away into private collections. Congrats to those that own them.

It's peculiarly challenging to put together a Funco ReAction run of DC figs for retail cost. The line has seemingly sold great so hopefully Super 7 picks up the license and drops another wave, as doubtful as that may be.

Reaction score
That's rather misleading :) The lot was all pre-production materials, even if there were some photographs of the box/cards and a few lithographs, if that's what is meant by 'copies'? They were all made as part of the production process for the line as a whole at the time. Actually a good portion of the items were hand drawn, namely a variety of logo designs (even some cut to shape), box art sketches and trace/layout diagrams, and even some figure sketches (possibly for how they intended to look on the card back), albeit like are possibly scans. There's even a couple of cutout 'proofs' albeit not on card but glossy photo-paper.
Yes I guess that was a bit minimizing. I have seen all the original pieces that many of the items in this lo were copies of. Indeed copies used in the work and production of the material, not just made for willy nilly purposes. The originals and other stuff should be back up for sale in the near future.

Reaction score
I sold my collection some time ago and it has since been broken up and some pieces resold. Such is the way of collecting - I wish I could afford to keep everything! This way more people get to experience the line.

I would never view a collecting goal as impossible. It's possible to put the core set back together someday albeit a significant challenge. When I started collecting this line I had 0 pieces lol. It takes work, networking, research & money.

I agree that the value of these vintage pieces won't be impacted in any way by the new stuff. If anything they could be increased as more people get drawn to Dark Crystal collectibles and discover the existence of the vintage pieces. I don't think there's any doubt that's what has happened with Star Wars over the years.

Anyway it's a great line and I still wish it had been produced. I also hope Henson actually makes a new movie one of these days. There have been many years of rumors......
Wow, I didn't know you sold your collection. It was a gorgeous set. After a decade of hunting, I still hope to own at least 1 piece from the original line.

Reaction score
Then maybe, just maybe, I'll have my own Garthim and Landstrider battle scene one day.

How awesome to find this very quote from 6-7-2009 (on page 6 of this thread) when I checked to see if anyone had begun a thread about the Funko ReAction line of Dark Crystal toys.

Look what photo I took today after opening my collection for the first time.

I'll never own the Aviva line, sadly, but this is the next best thing.

I just wish Funko had done the Pod Peasants, too.

Alex

Reaction score
hey Guys,

i´m very new with this toy line but love it that much!
so is anyone here who can sell me any of the proofs?!
or 2D pre productional material. transparencies, artwork...
would also consider to trade for star wars rarities!

just get in touch with me!

best Markus Salgert
you can also reach me on Facebook
just search for my name (Markus Salgert)

Last edited: