AVIVA/HASBRO: Dark Crystal - Unproduced Toys

Reaction score
I'd certainly have picked up this line as a kid if it had ever been released.

Along with the never produced Mego 3.75 inch Thundarr the Barbarian line.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any of the figures for sale? I've been dying to add any of these to my Dark Crystal collection for the longest time.

Reaction score
I sure wish they would do with this line as Super 7 is with the Kenner Alien line. This is the line I really, really wanted as a kid!

Reaction score
Does anyone have any of the figures for sale? I've been dying to add any of these to my Dark Crystal collection for the longest time.
There is currently a proof cardback for sale here on the boards. The igures themself exist in extremely low quantities. No loose figures are known to exist and around 15 carded protos plus 3 or 4 sets of the deluxe beasts, thats about everything that has surfaced...good luck with the hunt...

Reaction score
There is currently a proof cardback for sale here on the boards. The igures themself exist in extremely low quantities. No loose figures are known to exist and around 15 carded protos plus 3 or 4 sets of the deluxe beasts, thats about everything that has surfaced...good luck with the hunt...
They've popped up here before. Each tine I haven't had the the extra coin to spring for them. If the Super 7/Funko rumor of a Dark Crystal line is true then maybe some of the originals will come back out of the woodwork.

Reaction score
yes, the ones being offered here were among the 15 known carded or beast sets I mentioned and they were either offeted by me ir Justin. If you know of more figures, plse educate me, I'd love to learn if there were more. Is there a website mentioning the Super. 7 Dark Crystal Rumours ? Thanks, Mike

Reaction score
There are 12 known carded figures. Only one example each of the Auhgra and Skeksis, two examples each of the two podlings and three examples each of the Gelflings.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Justin, I was mixing it up :)
So any new leads to new finds from your side?
What do you think about the Super. 7 rumours ?

Best, Mike

There are 12 known carded figures. Only one example each of the Auhgra and Skeksis, two examples each of the two podlings and three example each of the Gelflings.

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Justin, I was mixing it up :)
So any new leads to new finds from your side?
What do you think about the Super. 7 rumours ?

Best, Mike
I haven't seen enough about it to have an opinion yet. Other than hearing that something might be coming out I haven't seen anything specific. Am I missing something?

Reaction score

After such a long time- this thread and this beautiful line deserve a bumb.
I was just about to sell my carded Jen ut got it back...plus a Kira MOC. The blister has a crack and the figure can carefully be taken out. Amazing to hold the loose figure actually.
The figure is no new find but one of the three known to exist. Fizzgig is also save inside the bubble- only the crystal piece is missing...
best, Mike

ps: i noticed that one if the three Jen figures has a dark base for the crysral piece whereas the other two have a white base... not that anyone cares... :)

Reaction score
comparison pics:
- version with white crystal base: brown boots
- version with brown ceystal base (missing crystal piece ): red boots.

Reaction score
Wait a minute - you were going to sell your Jen? The piece you would *NEVER* *EVER* sell? :p

Interesting Jen variant. Do you now have both and a Kira?

Reaction score
...and if someone ever finds an extra example of the Aviva 1983 catalog I'd be happy to buy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
comparison pics:
- version with white crystal base: brown boots
- version with brown ceystal base (missing crystal piece ): red boots.

You have 2?!?! Lucky dog! Very cool piece of history in finding the variation. Congrats on your Kira purchase. I'm still hoping to own at least 1 piece from this line someday.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No- that wouldnt be fair to keep 2 of the 3 Jens in existence :)

For a few days two were at my house but now I own only one :)

I kept the more complete one (white base plus crystal piece) and sold the 2nd one.
I am happy to have jen and Kira now...However, I'd love to add a slave pod and Garthim (again) to my shelf...

Good luck in finding one, there havent been any new MOC finds in years and I think the count is still 12 figures total which are separated in 3 tranches:
one gentlemen owns 6
one gentlemen owns 4
one gentlemen owns 2

Not too much, but I also made the experience that even thought many people claim that these are their grails and that they would jump at one, I was suprised that I had mainly received lowball offers in the past and not many people cherrish these at a reasonable value. Imagine these were star wars - man I'd be rich only with the two I own :)

You have 2?!?! Lucky dog! Very cool piece of history in finding the variation. Congrats on your Kira purchase. I'm still hoping to own at least 1 piece from this line someday.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great addition with the Kira - very nice score!
Hello Mr. Kerns I love these figures and was wondering if I could use your photos in a blog post for my page? I found the man who sculpted the Garthim and he also did the Boglins and others and he got my mind stuck on bringing these unproduced figures to light. Let me know!

Reaction score
No- that wouldnt be fair to keep 2 of the 3 Jens in existence :)

For a few days two were at my house but now I own only one :)

I kept the more complete one (white base plus crystal piece) and sold the 2nd one.
I am happy to have jen and Kira now...However, I'd love to add a slave pod and Garthim (again) to my shelf...

Good luck in finding one, there havent been any new MOC finds in years and I think the count is still 12 figures total which are separated in 3 tranches:
one gentlemen owns 6
one gentlemen owns 4
one gentlemen owns 2

Not too much, but I also made the experience that even thought many people claim that these are their grails and that they would jump at one, I was suprised that I had mainly received lowball offers in the past and not many people cherrish these at a reasonable value. Imagine these were star wars - man I'd be rich only with the two I own :)
I think there are more of these than we know. About 8 years ago a Podling on a really rough card went for around $300 or so on eBay. I remember distinctly that the listing stated the seller's sister had worked for Aviva. They were selling the Podling but were keeping a Jen and Kira. When did you have any for sale? I can only remember one time where any were for sale other than Laszlo's set that just sold on eBay. I would love to have one but they do command a high price and I am a collector on a limited budget. The funds could be raised but I would need some time to sell items to cover it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello Mr. Kerns I love these figures and was wondering if I could use your photos in a blog post for my page? I found the man who sculpted the Garthim and he also did the Boglins and others and he got my mind stuck on bringing these unproduced figures to light. Let me know!
Could the guy hook you up with any prototype/ 3-d material :) ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think there are more of these than we know. About 8 years ago a Podling on a really rough card went for around $300 or so on eBay. I remember distinctly that the listing stated the seller's sister had worked for Aviva. They were selling the Podling but were keeping a Jen and Kira. When did you have any for sale? I can only remember one time where any were for sale other than Laszlo's set that just sold on eBay. I would love to have one but they do command a high price and I am a collector on a limited budget. The funds could be raised but I would need some time to sell items to cover it.
I was wondering if my mind played tricks but I vagueley remembered having seen a podling years ago. So far I was relying on Justins Numbers of 12 total but yes, there could be some more. The two I have are included in the set of 12. I got Laslos two- forwarded the extra Jen and kept Kira alsong with the Jen I had already. I am not selling. regarding prices- yes they are high, but compared to what figures from more polular lines woud sell for its actually cheap. Imagine an unproduced star wars figure on an unproduced cardback which is 1 of 3 known to exist. That would require some 25K+ I assume...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes you may use the images in this post for your blog. I know the gentleman of whom you speak and he is a nice and talented guy.

Regarding the numbers of carded figures in existence - I have always been clear that my numbers are only what I'm aware of and have proof exist. As with any rare collectible line there are always rumors of this or that piece out there, and some of them may be true. But without proof such as a photo or personal sighting I tend to discount them.

For the record I know of only 12 carded Dark Crystal figures in existence. One each of Skeksis and Aughra, 2 each of the Podlings and 3 each of the Gelflings. I know without a shadow of a doubt that these 12 figures exist. I have held 10 of them in my own hands. Beyond these I have never heard any strong rumor or assertion of any others. Doesn't mean they aren't out there but it also doesn't mean they are.

Remember how many people swear they received a Rocket Fett in the mail from Kenner? Human memory is unreliable - I speak from personal experience!

Reaction score
Yes you may use the images in this post for your blog. I know the gentleman of whom you speak and he is a nice and talented guy.
Thank you sir! I'll post the link to the blog post when it's up. Might take awhile as I'm busy as hell! haha

Reaction score
slightly off-topic:

Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal sequels reportedly underway
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/labyrinth-and-the-dark-crystal-sequels-reportedly-underway-9789571.html

Anyone knows if this is true? All websites refer to "reports" but I cant find any official statement by Henson Company. I dont want to hang up my hope too high as the project was on hiatus several times...

Also, does anyone have facts regarding a potential Funko Super 7 re-action figure release of Dark Crystal figures? So far its only a rumour, right?

Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
Reaction score
just got a reply from Funko/Super 7.
I asked if they will go for re-action Dark Crystal Figures.

"(...) We have discussed both Dark Crystal and DC Comics for ReAction Figures, though I can't spill the beans quite yet on what we have planned (...)"

Reaction score
just got a reply from Funko/Super 7.
I asked if they will go for re-action Dark Crystal Figures.

"(...) We have discussed both Dark Crystal and DC Comics for ReAction Figures, though I can't spill the beans quite yet on what we have planned (...)"

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did something. At this point I don't even care if they're new sculpts. I just want figures.

Reaction score
I hope they don't do DC figures. If they do they have to be nothing like the Aviva line. I love that unproduced line and would hate to see that get tainted by new figures that are 'identical'

-Alex

(and I hoped for an update on Justin's run. Damn! Still the best toy-run I have ever seen! )

Reaction score
Its not Aviva so its slightly off- topic but Its also an unproduced (unlicensed) toy associated to the DC line. Check the bay for 'Dark Castle'.
Please note that its not my auction- but i think its worth checking out as this is an incredible piece of custom fan-made Dark Crystal art.
Best, Mike

Last edited:
Reaction score

This made my day! I finally got THE Aviva catalog. As far as I know the only one currently know. There should be more out there but they they have been hiding so far.
I was looking to find this catalog fir many years and finally the last owner gave me dibs. Thanks again! I am really excited to have it next to my Jen and Kira figures. Also I got these nice production photos.
Thanks for looking.
Best, Mike

Last edited:
Reaction score

Thought it was time to pop my head up as I've been collecting slowly for a while. This is most of my Dark Crystal collection so far. I have other bits but these are the items of worth. Top row from left is "..with Jen The Gelfling Hero Proof art/sample print", Skeksis proof, Happy Pod Peasant Proof (smaller) and lastly Skeksis Proof uncut (cromalin?) actually AFA 80 graded. Underneath from left: custom/unofficial shard replica, original 35mm dark crystal trailer, Adventure Collection Die Cast (#9001) unpainted but missing Kira to my dismay - only just realised :/, Sealed collecting card box, single Pod Peasant production photo, Custom Pod Peasant figure (made by guy on etsy - pm me maybe I can hook you up he's often busy though) and finally at bottom is a film press book (there's another on eBay atm - all seem to contain a random Brian Froud signature+doodle). I also have all 3 original Don Post masks (Skeksis, Pod Peasant and Aughra - not pictured, which are very cool). Ok so not all Aviva stuff but thought I'd share other bits on top. I've also been after some screen used Skeksis Cutlery Props which sound terrible but are amazing, missed 2 sets at auction in 2014 alone so... will keep looking :)

Anyway nice to me you all and awesome collections been shown here am jealous of Aviva figures/cards especially, and that catalogue is awesome :)

Glenn

Last edited:
Reaction score
great stuff- thanks for posting- if there is ever another custom of the sllave pod, I will be happy to take it! Thanks, Mike

Reaction score
I know there is a debate currently about the fragmentation of the hobby due to FB. I have to admit I mostly agree and am a newby on FB anyway. But as I really want to make sure all available information regarding the beautiful line is saved on different channels, I started a small group :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DarkCrysatalPrototypes/

Its basically a clone of what we have here plus some input by the original sculptor of garthim, landstrider and uru. With the permission of Justin I used most of his pictures and added a few of my onw items. So if you are interested, feel free to have a look and contribute. Of course, this threat here will still be #1 . I love it :) and will make sure to bump it frequently (like I did just now )...best, Mike

Reaction score
This thread (and the group on Facebook) is pure gold. Awesome stuff in here, thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Hey guys, just stumbled on this thread as I was trying to figure out which Mystic the prototype was, and just thought I would drop this link in since no one had posted a link or images to the works in progress produced by Funko.

I hope those of you who are into the Dark Crystal are excited and will support the line, there may be more to come if it does well.

Reaction score
I had written this line off when I heard it was going to be part of Funko's Reaction series. The retro styling of their other licenses just hasn't done anything for me, but seeing the pictures of what they are actually producing for The Dark Crystal, I am relieved to see they have relaxed the vintage aesthetic in favour of more faithful representations of the characters. I'm in the process of trying to acquire the SDCC exclusive set. I'm hoping this line will have some legs and depth. I dream of having a full set of 9 (or 10) Skeksis some day.