Avengers Age of Ultron: Vision Cape

Reaction score
So Marvel Legends has yet to produce an AOU Vision figure. That's ok. Customizers have been taking swings at it all summer. I helped out a fellow customizer by setting him up with a MOS Superman figure and wired cape so he could do one.. then I start thinking... man I'd love to make one myself but I HAVE to have a decent cape. This thing is no joke. I've done TONS of fabric capes, typically by the same pattern over and over again, but this time being the detail is the selling point i needed to grasp how to apply graphic to a cape and still leave the fabric in its original state.

First I tried printing my intended pattern onto wax paper and then transferring to the fabric... no way... It almost worked but the lines were not solid enough and pressure was tough to apply evenly.

So I tried and tried again resulting in these 3 messes to the left (or top if this image never gets rotated)... until I decided to try and put the fabric IN The printer... ah HA. Now I'm not new to dye-sub and the like being I work int he print industry, but I'm not about to stop the presses to experiment for my own hobby sake so I have to figure this out at home. I managed to attach the fabric to an 8.5" x 11" paper label and feed it through my desktop inkjet... WOW!!!! 100% RESULTS!!!

With process now on my side I took back to the drawing board (literally) and drew up a much more accurate version inspired by the Hot Toys cape (the only reference you'll find) and gave it another try this morning.

Now I'm ok with colors being a little faded and subdued by being absorbed into the fabric. That's fine by me BUT for the result of taking my image directly to fabric print... that's a game changer for me personally. I'm all jacked up on enlightenment and headed back to the fabric store this afternoon... Daddy's got a brand new trick!!!

Reaction score
Finally opted for printing on white... if only there were a more translucent fabric.... May have to settle for double sided print...

Reaction score
Can anyone else see the photos? I see the ones in the first post, but all other post just show a small box with a question mark. I am using an iPad so it may be the device or something not allowing me to see them.