GNT

Reaction score
James Cameron Gives Avatar Sequels Update

It's crazy to think that Avatar opened in theatres more than three years ago, on December 18, 2009, but here we are. While it's been a while since we heard from James Cameron on Avatar 2 and Avatar 3, Play Goes Strong (via Bleeding Cool) caught up with the filmmaker not long ago and asked him for a status update.

"I'm working on 'Avatar 2' and 'Avatar 3.' I was talking the other day w ith Peter Jackson and said, 'You had it easy dude. You had the books when you did the second and third 'Lord of the Rings.' I have to create my own books in my head and extract a script from it. I'm deep into it and I'm living in Pandora right now. There is that start up torque where you feel it's coming to you. Then you build up momentum. That's when it gets fun. The characters talk and it's writing itself. I'm almost there right now. It's building fast," said Cameron.

He's currently working on the films at his new property in New Zealand. He added that "when you live in a special world like Pandora, you have to live in that world."

The first film is the biggest blockbuster of all-time, earning $2.782 billion at the worldwide box office, so does he feel pressure? "Pressure, no. It's a little daunting because sequels are always tricky. You have to be surprising and stay ahead of audience anticipation. At the same time, you have to massage their feet with things that they know and love about the first film. I've walked that line in the past, so I'm not too worried about it. At the same time, I definitely have to deliver the goods."

Cameron also couldn't give a new release date for the first sequel, saying that it will be determined when he can get the script to Twentieth Century Fox Film. Avatar 2 was originally targeted for a December, 2014 release and Avatar 3 for December, 2015.

Reaction score
I was talking the other day with Peter Jackson and said, 'You had it easy dude. You had the books when you did the second and third 'Lord of the Rings.' I have to create my own books in my head and extract a script from it. I'm deep into it and I'm living in Pandora right now. There is that start up torque where you feel it's coming to you. Then you build up momentum. That's when it gets fun. The characters talk and it's writing itself. I'm almost there right now. It's building fast," said Cameron.
Peter should have just handed him this and walked away.

Reaction score
I love the first Avatar and have much respect for Cameron as a person and a director but that statement about LOTR being an easier movie to make because there is a book is just idiotic. If anything the books made Peter's work that much more monumentally difficult because of the instant high expectations to put to film a faithful adaptation of something that is so beloved. It is stupid to take anything away from Peter Jackson and what he pulled off with the Lord of the Rings movies. I would think if anyone James would understand that making a film of such a massive scale is anything but easy on any level. Yes, coming up with your own world from scratch is by no means not a difficult task but to hold it over a fellow directors head as a greater achievement than what they had done is just insulting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it's too long from the last movie. Most people have moved on. And quite honestly, it wasn't that great to begin with. All eye candy, with an unoriginal story.

Reaction score
... James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron...

... James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron IS James Cameron...

Reaction score
If this movie never got made or talked about again I think I would still lead a full life without felling something's missing!!!!!

Reaction score
I liked Avatar when I first saw it. Like a lot of people, I was swept up in the visuals. But it didn't hold up on repeat viewings for me, and I ended up trading in the Blu-ray. I'm not excited about the sequels in the slightest but I'll stick check them out and hope they're better films. Cameron has made some of my all time favorite movies (T2, Aliens) so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction score
I liked Avatar when I first saw it. Like a lot of people, I was swept up in the visuals. But it didn't hold up on repeat viewings for me, and I ended up trading in the Blu-ray. I'm not excited about the sequels in the slightest but I'll stick check them out and hope they're better films. Cameron has made some of my all time favorite movies (T2, Aliens) so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Same here. To be fair I only cared about the visuals and the whole world of Pandora, it was glorious the first time I saw it in 3-D. Take that away and you have a pretty film but in terms of characters and plot its unoriginal and laughable at times.

GNT

Reaction score
Avatar 2 Test Footage Showcased at SIGGRAPH

Although movement on Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 has seemed fairly quiet as of late, producer Jon Landau delighted attendees at the SIGGRAPH 2013 conference last night with a first look at test footage from the upcoming sci-fi sequel.

Nothing too shocking was revealed in the footage, which The Hollywood Reporter describes as having featured both human and Na'vi characters in a computer-generated environment, but it should serve as a nice reminder to fans that the much-anticipated sequel is on the way.

Landau spoke of the technological challenges of the sequels in an interview earlier this year, revealing then that the films will feature underwater performance capture.

Reaction score
I don't care if the story is weak I ****ing love me some Avatar. That movie stands up well on an okay story some pretty good acting and amazing visuals IMHO. Saw it on the IMAX screen five times.

That said....i'm not that excited about the prospects of continuing that story but James has never truly disappointed me like Lucas has so I'll be in line opening day.

Reaction score
While I feel that everything was told well enough in the first, and don't really see why 2 more are needed. I'm totally open to seeing what he does for the sequels, could be interesting.

Reaction score
say what you will about the story but the effects were far from mediocre. Some of the best digital character performances that has ever been put to film. Cameron finally broke the "dead eye" barrier.

Reaction score
Well yeah, the visuals are easily some of the best and when I saw it for the first time in theatres (with 3-D) I distinctly remember thinking to myself "Wow, I have not seen a film more beautiful film than this". As time went on though and the more I watched it I thought to myself "Wow, I have seen a film more cliche and generic". Now thats not to say Avatar is a bad film nor is it mediocre I do enjoy it but despite how much I enjoy the visuals, I still cannot deal with some of the overly dumb goofiness this film displays.

GNT

Reaction score
3 more movies geez that's a bit of an overkill if you ask me (talk about Matrix Syndrome), who knows how they'll go as they might not earn as much as the first film and they might not be successful at all which could be worrying.

I know the only reason they've been green lighted is to compete with the Star Wars films in the next few years.

Reaction score
Lol the first one is gonna be HUGE like Matrix 2. Then I think it's gonna **** people off and they will go down from there. Regardless between the 3 I think they'll make 5 million lol. Lots of suckers.

GNT

Reaction score
Lol the first one is gonna be HUGE like Matrix 2. Then I think it's gonna **** people off and they will go down from there. Regardless between the 3 I think they'll make 5 million lol. Lots of suckers.
I'd still watch the as I did enjoy the first film, I just think having plans for the 4th film already is crazy. The 2nd film could totally bomb.

GNT

Reaction score
Stephen Lang to Return for All Three Avatar Sequels!

Even though it didn't look like we would see him again after 2009's Avatar, Twentieth Century Fox has confirmed that actor Stephen Lang will retun as Colonel Miles Quaritch in their three upcoming Avatar sequels.
"Steven was so memorable in the first film, we're privileged to have him back," director James Cameron said in a statement. "I'm not going to say exactly HOW we're bringing him back, but it's a science fiction story, after all. His character will evolve into really unexpected places across the arc of our new three-film saga. I really look forward to working with such a gifted actor, who's also become a good friend."

The release of the first sequel will be in December 2016, with the second to follow in December 2017, and the third a year later. Sam Worthington said last week that he would start filming this time next year.

Avatar 2, 3, and 4 will be produced by Cameron and Jon Landau through their Lightstorm Entertainment banner. Writers Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds), Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planets of the Apes), and Shane Salerno (Savages) are all currently penning the individual sequels.

GNT

Reaction score
Ugh.....can't characters ever stay dead? :rolleyes:
Because no one stays dead... first Avatar then Star Wars in 2015 :p

Stephen Lang is a great actor IMO so I'm happy to hear he'll be back for more films. I predict he'll be back in the body of a Na'vi.

Reaction score
Of course he was memorable, because he can actually act! In fact Lang was probably one of few redeeming qualities of the movie! And IMO, as much as he'd make a sequel good. I think it does a disservice to the story of the whole franchise to bring him back.