Autographs: Limelighting & Display

Reaction score
A little off topic, but didn't want to create a whole thread for it, can anyone tell me where to acquire blank Index cards? I know absolutely nothing about Index cards, sizing, prices etc...so could use a little help.

Cheers,

-Kris

Reaction score
I think there are a couple of sizes, but the common is 3x5 inch. in fact you would probably have to look for those. Get blank ones. Don't get recipe cards that have lines on one side, trust me on that one!

Reaction score
Hi all

so I'm planning to display 3 autographs and I want to display them behind 3 light saber props. I have a nice Vader signed project on the go work in progress, an index card which I've had mounted with an 8x10 of sir Alec Guinness and a cool mark hamill promo shot with lightsaber bought off a forum member.

i was thinking having 3 floating shelves holding the props with the signed pictures up on the wall behind them but I'm now thinking maybe putting them all in an IKEA detolf cabinet, 1 picture and prop per shelf.

My question is has anyone here done anything like this? Would it be safe to put basic led lighting on each shelf? would it be detrimental or cause any damage to my signed pictures? I'm worried the glass might be quite distracting and reflect natural light so may not be able to see the signed pictures that well....

so yeh a small small dilema I would like to get your thoughts on and any advice or other options for displaying props with autographs...

Reaction score
i was thinking having 3 floating shelves holding the props with the signed pictures up on the wall behind them but I'm now thinking maybe putting them all in an IKEA detolf cabinet, 1 picture and prop per shelf.
I lurv me some Detolfs! Fantastic for display of small toys (which I use mine mainly for), and I'd imagine great for your props as well. IKEA sells circular lamps that mount underneath the top of the cabinet, but I wouldn't recommend them as they use halogen bulbs (at least when I last checked years ago). I'd imagine LEDs would be gentler and I'm sure you can jury-rig something. Each shelf is a removable glass piece that rests on top of steel rods so I'm sure you can string something underneath them if you wanted to. Dust can still get inside them, but they do a good enough job. My four cabinets have been with me for at least a decade and survived two moves and I love them.

However, your floating shelves idea is great as well! Do what feels right!

Reaction score
My four cabinets have been with me for at least a decade and survived two moves and I love them.

However, your floating shelves idea is great as well! Do what feels right!
thanks for the feedback on the detolf! I am very tempted to go this route as it mean not drilling holes in my wall to put the shelves up! Just wondering in your opinion if I put autographs that were framed on the shelves do you think you would see them clearly, just thinking about the glass on the framed autograph and the glass on the cabinet sides might be to reflective.....?

Reaction score
Just wondering in your opinion if I put autographs that were framed on the shelves do you think you would see them clearly, just thinking about the glass on the framed autograph and the glass on the cabinet sides might be to reflective.....?
It would depend on the angle of light you have already in your room. In other words, if you won't have glare from your frames with existing ambient light had you mounted them on the wall, then I think you'll be fine putting them in the detolfs. Same lighting angles, just inside a glass case. If you decide to put lights INSIDE the detolf, then I'd imagine you may have some glare if they'll be closer to your frames. If you have a chance, walk around a detolf at a local IKEA so you can get a sense of how the ambient lights might look. That might help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Regarding Hollywood Poster Frames.

Will it be possible to add a passpartou/mat by myself or do I need to order it with the frame? Anybody got any photos/videos how you slip in the art?

How much will the frame itself take up from the area. Lets say I order a frame with 27x40 dimension. How much will be exposed and how much will be left behind each frame side?

Will the entire frame hang flat against the wall or will it lean outwards from the upper part of the frame?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

ive recently been seeing more and more of the sealed plastic card holders that have authentication stamps on them, what are these called? Also do they just come in one size for cards only?

Thinking about making some displays out of signed index cards and mounting them with the vintage topps cards and then putting them inside these plastic archival holders then possibly getting them authenticated

would this work? Are they one size only? Where can they be purchased from? I don't have much display space and like to change things round so I'm thinking having more smaller atograph displays would be cool, I just cannot afford what the signed topps cards for the main cast cost each so thinking about alternative options!

cheers

Reaction score
Hi All,

I think I've asked this in the past but still looking. I'm wanting to buy a pre-cut matte where you can put an 8x10 photo with an index card. Now I know you can make them but I'm looking for any place that sells them already done and just place the items on the matte. Hoping someone can let me know where I can buy this.

Thanks, Chris

Reaction score
First time getting something matted. I think I will go with a double mat next time but I still really like how it came out. Thanks to Clinton for the graph. That man is top notch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First time getting something matted. I think I will go with a double mat next time but I still really like how it came out. Thanks to Clinton for the graph. That man is top notch.
Remember you can always go back and have another matte cut to lay on top. I did that. Didn't like the way it looked on it's own so I went and get another. :)

Reaction score
Any feedback would help and be appreciated

Hi All,

I think I've asked this in the past but still looking. I'm wanting to buy a pre-cut matte where you can put an 8x10 photo with an index card. Now I know you can make them but I'm looking for any place that sells them already done and just place the items on the matte. Hoping someone can let me know where I can buy this.

Thanks, Chris

Reaction score
Any feedback would help and be appreciated

Hi All,

Thanks, Chris
This guy has them. Search 3x5
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=tangov&_pgn=1&isRefine=true

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just received this is the mail. My first autograph not obtained in person. But decided to pull the trigger on it as I’m not sure I’ll ever get the chance to meet Daisy. Loving it!

And here she is framed and hung.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just received this is the mail. My first autograph not obtained in person. But decided to pull the trigger on it as I’m not sure I’ll ever get the chance to meet Daisy. Loving it!

And here she is framed and hung.

That looks great framed! I love the black matboards on the Star Wars autographs.

Reaction score
Heres my autograph collection. I know its not as big as most people on here but its growing. :)

Last edited: