ATTENTION VINTAGE SELLERS : READ THIS NOW: AUCTIONS ARE NOT PERMITTED!!!

Reaction score
Happy Birthday SpideySeth! I am actually over 30.

I agree that for common items, people should have a price for them. People asking to make an offer on loose vintage figures is kind of silly if you ask me. BUT, asking for offers on an Ewoks Cartoon Paploo? I have no problem with that. I don't know if the cut off point should be $1000. I have a Woolworth baggie Luke Stormtrooper, one of not many that are out there. I'm not saying that I'm going to be selling it, but if I ever do, how the heck am I going to put a price on it?

Reaction score
I don't think there should be any kind of cut off point. You might have something like a vintage first shot that one person will pay $300 for to get it in their character focus, but no one else will pay more than $150. I do agree that it's silly to take offers on butt-common production pieces like loose figures, but I think it should be allowed if the seller so desires.

I would like to see some discussion from the powers that be. Their silence thus far and lack of willingness to discuss the issue (except Shane) is nothing short of frustrating.

John

Reaction score
happy birthday you two.

i agree. i think for all common pieces that the seller is wishing to sell can be stated $5 per or $10 per, etc.. .but for high end items, i think as long as the traffic doesn't bog the forum down or somehow manage to legitimately rip members off, it would seem the best "capitalistic" approach would be to IM with best offers. i realize the forum admins don't want to administer this in a complaint-ridden environment, so they don't want to listen to members complaining out loud, to them, to others, etc... it would sound like congress in here. so as long as everyone plays nice, agrees upon a price for an item mostly in private, and that be the end of it and everyone takes responsibilities for their own actions. we should all be happy. just like school

Reaction score
Agreed, Seth.

I cannot for the life of me come up with a single negative to just taking offers, either to this site or to any of its members.

Allowing for sale posts that just take offers harms no one, and should not create any additional administrative burden.

Moreover, it makes this forum a more viable alternative to eBay, which is attractive to sellers. Allowing sellers to take offers will also lead to more interesting items being offered in this forum, which is completely beneficial to this site, since being known as a place where unusual or high end items are available would increase traffic.

As the administration has been virtually silent on the logic behind this rule change, it remains a mystery. I, for one, cannot figure out why the administration would not want to bend over backwards to facilitate the sale of unique/high end items on its forums. Seems like common sense.

Finally, and somewhat tangentially, I also fail to understand the need of some members (and I don't have anyone specific in mind), to point out every instance where someone ignores the rule or is unaware of it. I had hoped that after the announcement of the rule change, people would kind of just go about their business and fly under the radar. Yet, without fail, each time, someone informs them that they must set a price, thereby drawing attention to the violation of the new rule. I guess some folks just want things simple. "Tell me how much to pay and I'll pay it." An item that is up for offers might require a little more work on the part of the potential buyer in terms of emailing the seller, gauging his target price, and coming up with a price that's more (but not too much more) than others will offer. Maybe people are afraid of offering too much and want a price put in front of them, so they don't have to actually know anything about the value of the item. But if you're looking at a "make me an offer" for sale post, and you're really interested in the item, you would be doing yourself a favor, both in terms of getting to know the piece, the market for the piece and the seller, by just making an offer instead of informing the seller that the new rules require he set a price. If you don't have a gauge by which to make your offer, you probably should do some research and ask some general questions before diving in. If you're not interested in the item or can't afford it, why ruin it for the rest of us by insisting the seller set a price. You're not a moderator (except those of you who are
).

OK, sorry for that little rant, but my main point is that allowing offers is good for all of us. You, me and the owner of this site. It leads to more interesting items being offered on the forum, which is good for buyers. More buyers is good for sellers and good for the traffic on the site.

Seems like a no-lose situation to me.

Reaction score
their lack of willingness is pretty obvious, because they don't have to do anything about! this is their forum ( someones.. well someone owns it, or at least pays the bills for it ) and what goes, goes.

my r2 went from 200 to 160 and no offers. was i way off? am i just really proud of my r2? is that what market offers? i could have posted it, and said make me offers. if the highest offer i got was $10, r2 stays with me, etc.. market will dictate what people want, and how much they want it for at the moment.

anyway, i'm rambling here.. this isn't econ 101.

Reaction score
BrianM said:
Finally, and somewhat tangentially, I also fail to understand the need of some members (and I don't have anyone specific in mind), to point out every instance where someone ignores the rule or is unaware of it. I had hoped that after the announcement of the rule change, people would kind of just go about their business and fly under the radar. Yet, without fail, each time, someone informs them that they must set a price, thereby drawing attention to the violation of the new rule. I guess some folks just want things simple. "Tell me how much to pay and I'll pay it." An item that is up for offers might require a little more work on the part of the potential buyer in terms of emailing the seller, gauging his target price, and coming up with a price that's more (but not too much more) than others will offer. Maybe people are afraid of offering too much and want a price put in front of them, so they don't have to actually know anything about the value of the item. But if you're looking at a "make me an offer" for sale post, and you're really interested in the item, you would be doing yourself a favor, both in terms of getting to know the piece, the market for the piece and the seller, by just making an offer instead of informing the seller that the new rules require he set a price. If you don't have a gauge by which to make your offer, you probably should do some research and ask some general questions before diving in. If you're not interested in the item or can't afford it, why ruin it for the rest of us by insisting the seller set a price. You're not a moderator (except those of you who are
).
I think some people mention it because they are annoyed with the rule. If they go out of the way to point it out to people that are selling, maybe they are hoping that the seller will send a complaint to the mods about the rule. If the mods get enough complaints about the rule, maybe it will change?

The only time I've ever asked someone to put the price in their post is when I saw something that I like, and they didn't have a price. I just asked them to supply it.

Reaction score
Complaints may also work in the opposite way, too many complaints may cause too much of a headache. I think the point they are making is this is a classified section not an auction site. It also seems like it should be the sellers responsibility to research a price. Some items may be extremely hard to price, but the seller atleast has a price for which they want to let it go. Is it wrong to post "Is anyone looking for XXXX, please contact me" and then the seller and buyers can deal with it in whatever manner they wish.

Mark

Reaction score
piper said:
Is it wrong to post "Is anyone looking for XXXX, please contact me" and then the seller and buyers can deal with it in whatever manner they wish.

Mark
According to this rule, yes, it is wrong to post something like that.

Reaction score
BrianM said:
I cannot for the life of me come up with a single negative to just taking offers, either to this site or to any of its members...

Allowing for sale posts that just take offers harms no one, and should not create any additional administrative burden...

OK, sorry for that little rant, but my main point is that allowing offers is good for all of us. You, me and the owner of this site. It leads to more interesting items being offered on the forum, which is good for buyers. More buyers is good for sellers and good for the traffic on the site.

Seems like a no-lose situation to me.
WELL SAID, hopefully somebody is listening and taking notes. But honestly, I doubt it...

To quote the owner of Rebel Scum
"I don't offer any basis for this rule other than that's the way I want it."

So I guess this means case closed and post your prices.

Reaction score
Seeing I partly started (my comment on a price that was +100 times the actual worth) this next fase in this discussion I'll add some points from where I'm coming from.

1) I'm and was never happy with the fact that prices had to be added to the items

2) I'm not talking about a proto that is worth $300 for one person and $500 for the other. I'm talking about items that are, for example, worth around $300, but being advertised as "$20.000, or best offer".

3) If you want to test the market for items mentioned in "2", then begin at 150%, 175% or even 200%, with offers taken (you get what I'm working towards), and if no one responds, then lower your price. This is totaly fine, and also not what my comment was about.

4) I do agree with the fact that the 'new' policy is better for production pieces then for pre-production or one-of-a-kind pieces

5) I also find the lack of discussion on this matter with the admins (apart from Shane) frustating. The forum is not only managed and created by the admins, but mostly by it's users. The users who made this board like it is today!

I do not agree that keeping our mouths shut will help us in any way. There are forum members who try to put prices with their items, while they never did that before. If the policy is been upholed by the admins, then it's not to much a problem to tell sellers who don't put prices with their items.

I myself am still for a waver concurning prototypes, one-of-a-kind items etc. And to give the sellers of those items the option (without boundries) to only take offers.

This is the way of attracting more illusive and interesting items to be sold through this forum. Thus making this forum a center for oddities to be sold by collector to collectors.

Well, that's it.

-Alex

Reaction score
And still the admin remains silent. Why won't you guys discuss this? "Because I say so" really doesn't hold a lot of weight in a discussion.

John

Tommy_Garvey

Reaction score
JohnH said:
And still the admin remains silent. Why won't you guys discuss this? "Because I say so" really doesn't hold a lot of weight in a discussion.

John
"It is not permitted for a mortal man to judge the deathless Gods, or to fight with them."- Theognis 550 BC

Tommy

michael_mensinger

Reaction score
BrianM wrote:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Finally, and somewhat tangentially, I also fail to understand the need of some members (and I don't have anyone specific in mind), to point out every instance where someone ignores the rule or is unaware of it.

[/QUOTE]

I do this, so don't hesitate to point the finger my way as I'm more than willing to explain my actions. I think it's entirely unfair that some members ignore the rule and don't post prices until they are forced to. I don't like the rule anymore than the next guy, however I do like fairness. I think it's respectful to those of us willing to follow the rule at the start of a sale post for others to do the same. I point it out as I believe members who don't follow the rule are acting in an unfair manner.

-Mike

Reaction score
I'm not really sure any of the admin team can say anything to alleviate the concerns brought up here. The rule came down from the top and it's not likely to change, no matter how many of us, or who of us disagree with it.

From my personsal perspective (ie admin hat off), i honestly don't see why it's such a big deal. If you want to sell something, surely you must have a general idea of how much money you want for it and the lowest you'd take. What's so hard about listing a price?

Reaction score
AJ_van_Zelst said:
2) I'm not talking about a proto that is worth $300 for one person and $500 for the other. I'm talking about items that are, for example, worth around $300, but being advertised as "$20.000, or best offer".

3) If you want to test the market for items mentioned in "2", then begin at 150%, 175% or even 200%, with offers taken (you get what I'm working towards), and if no one responds, then lower your price. This is totaly fine, and also not what my comment was about.
-Alex
If a seller asks for 200% the known value of an item OBO, a buyer is going to look at it and think "Tht guy's nuts... he'd never accept my reasonable offer." If a seller asks for 4000% the known value of an item OBO, a buyer, in theory, will understand the seller is using the loophole and think "oh yeah... this seller knows what he's doing. He WILL accept my reasonable offer."

The lengths we're forced to go to to deal with irrational rules...

Reaction score
BillCable said:
If a seller asks for 200% the known value of an item OBO, a buyer is going to look at it and think "Tht guy's nuts... he'd never accept my reasonable offer." If a seller asks for 4000% the known value of an item OBO, a buyer, in theory, will understand the seller is using the loophole and think "oh yeah... this seller knows what he's doing. He WILL accept my reasonable offer."

The lengths we're forced to go to to deal with irrational rules...
Well, that all depends on the buyer (and the seller).

If I don't have a clue what something is worth and the seller say "100.000 or best offer", then I still have no basis to give an offer.

But if I do know a price and the seller puts a 200% on the item as a sale price, I'd might offer 100% or perhaps a bit more.

I for one had that same thing a couple of months ago. I was offered an item. Thought about the value and offered half the price he was asking (we are not talking about 5 or 6 dollar here, but about a couple of hundred). And he took it.

It all depends on the item, what the seller is trying to get and what information the buyer has.

To bad the "Top" who gave the order for this policy is not answering any question here. Unless they don't know about this topic, which would be a plea to the admins to address the issue to the "Top". Not to force a change, but to pave the way for some friendly discussion.

-Alex

Reaction score
Well I have mountains of vintage stuff in my basement that I have no idea what its worth and wanted to list here to the good RS folks who would appreciate it more but this rule really limits me. If putting 1 million dollars as the asking price is the loophole then this rule is very lame.

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth on the subject.

(BTW: I stand behind Phil's choice to have this rule)

I'll treat RS FS Threads like I tread persons selling items at Flea Markets, Boot Sales, Yard Sales, Tag Sales, etc, etc...

If you don't have a price on your item(s) I'll slowly walk by and take a look then keep on truckin', there's nothing like someone jacking up the price as soon as they see that somebody is interested in an item. I've encountered this type of seller all to often at flea markets, I've gone as far as to eavesdrop a seller telling a person what a price is, only to turn around a few minutes later and ask the same seller the price of the same item only to have the price jacked up (you show interest and up goes the $ amount).

It's not a hard thing to put a value/price on an item, even if it's an uncommon item, chances are you had to pay something for it and should have an idea of what you want out of it (it's only worth what someone's willing to pay for it).

I don't see the need to add the statement of "or best offer", as most of us are smart enough to ask if that's the best price the seller can do on an item.

Finally, I don't like the idea of listing 100 figures and saying if your interested let met know and I'll quote prices.

In conjunction with the above statement, making the comment that I don't have enough time to list prices, do to work, the baby, or because the items are at another house, this just really gets under my skin. Please get over yourselves if you had the time to list the 100 figures you sure have time to list prices for them.

-John

Reaction score
"(ie admin hat off), i honestly don't see why it's such a big deal."

I think the way the "Gods" are answering back, and sometimes not answering is the problem. Extremely smug to say the least. I bet if every member decided to boycott the site, maybe the "Gods" would reconsider their position. It seems the members here are treated like peasants.

Reaction score
A post with no prices, unless its something I HAVE to have, wont get a second look from me. I want to see a price or I just pass it by b/c 9 times out of 10 its more than I want to pay so I wont waste my time to email everyone that posted that day to find out prices... I dont have time for all that. I dont really care one way or the other about this rule, overall I think its helping the seller more than anything though, it doesnt benefit the admin, I dont know who came up with that idea... It only helps the buyer and the seller out and yet they still complain about it.

There will always be people who dont like the way things are run. To them, my suggestion is start up your own site and run it your own way, if that way is so great compared to here, then everyone will go to your new site. Otherwise just deal with it.

This place really is great. I for one love the moderation around here. They do a great job keeping this place clean and in perfect order. It makes it easy to find what I am looking for. Go to a forum that lets its members do whatever they want and see how well you like it... You'll sift through hundreds of replies rambling about nothing even close to the topic of the post.

Reaction score
Im down with Matts reply. I havent made many deals here. 3 maybe, but the prices where listed and the descriptions more than exceeded my expectations.
Ive slowly weened myself away from evilbay as I have been disapointed in some of my purchases.
Dont change a thing here please.

Reaction score
It's been my experience (not just in this situation), that the main reason people do not publicly include prices is because they are seeking to charge too much, and do not want to put that out in the open and risk being called out. They would rather overcharge in PM's, so at worst they get turned down.

Another reason I like the rule is because I have gotten to see what many different sw items sell for. I am new to the hobby, and the best way for me to judge value/rarity is to follow what stuff sells for. If everything is handled privately in PM's, I can never learn that. Things like pre production items and such do not show up on auction sites often. I am now learning what stuff like that is worth by observing prices on this site.

Rob

Reaction score
Dustin said:
Just so you all know the Forum Rules clearly state :

No auctioning is permitted. That means you cannot make a post stating that you will take offers and sell the item to the highest bidder.

Any classifieds that do not list prices for items will be shut down and removed.

I know this has not been enforced in here very well but it is going to be as of now.

I appreciate your cooperation on this matter.
well i wanna trade. i don't want to sell. therefore i don't list a price. am i supposed to take the first offer that comes or do i wait for the best offer?or as some would say "the highest bidder". i don't want to hit anyone in the head but i don't want to take crap either. naturally.

Reaction score
jabbasnot said:
Dustin said:
Just so you all know the Forum Rules clearly state :

No auctioning is permitted. That means you cannot make a post stating that you will take offers and sell the item to the highest bidder.

Any classifieds that do not list prices for items will be shut down and removed.

I know this has not been enforced in here very well but it is going to be as of now.

I appreciate your cooperation on this matter.
well i wanna trade. i don't want to sell. therefore i don't list a price. am i supposed to take the first offer that comes or do i wait for the best offer?or as some would say "the highest bidder". i don't want to hit anyone in the head but i don't want to take crap either. naturally.

I think that if you say that you want to trade and list the items that you have versus what you want, unless you specify a trade, it's a good idea to respond to anyone who offers you a trade, whether you accept it or not, not a "I'm waiting to see what someone else will offer before I take your trade."

Reaction score
jabbasnot said:
Relax snot... Simply make your post title something along the lines of FS/FT and indicate an astronomical price in your listing. Something like this:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
FS/FT SW boxed x-wing -- c9+ complete with c8 box. Trade offers preferred but would sell for $1,000,000 OR best offer

[/QUOTE]

That way no rules are broken and everyone is happy

-T

Reaction score
These rules were made when the Classifieds was devided in 2 seperate forum-parts; one to sell and one to trade.

Now the 2 sections are combined, and the rules may result in some confusion.

If you want to sell you have to put a price with it, if you want to trade simply state you want to trade. For the rest still no auctions allowed (but again, that's selleing and thus you need a price with your item).

-Alex

Reaction score
TimothyC said:
Relax snot... Simply make your post title something along the lines of FS/FT and indicate an astronomical price in your listing. That way no rules are broken and everyone is happy

-T
actually i'm very relaxed. yoda relaxed. i don't recall any exaggerated punctuation, excessive capital letters or angry faces. 'twas a simple question. i've never used the buy or trade forums and i want to and i don't know the specifics. just asking before someone gets POed cuz someone always gets POed about something. and i don't want the most out of a trade. but i don't have a problem with telling someone that i'm still exploring my options. if i've listed 10 different items that i want(not all in one trade unless the offer merits it)then i may choose to wait and see if someone offers to trade me the fig i desire the most of the 10. if only my second most desired fig is offered then i would take that deal if it still stands. i would, of course, notify all potential swappers that i have found an offer more suitable to my wants and needs. is that wrong? i think not. i think most of us know what a fair trade is and when the situation mirrors flat out extortion. it's really hard to regulate barter since some people are willing to crack others in the head and the ones getting cracked are allowing it. the problem is, you can't tell someone that they can't trade something that's worth a hundred bucks for something worth 5 if they want it bad enough. well, you can tell them but they'll do it anyway if they want something bad enough. for the record, i'm not saying it's cool to try to get the most out of someone. but if people are stupid enough to get themselves ripped off then well...they're stupid.

Reaction score
jabbasnot said:
Here is the subject line caps changed a little to answer your question: Attention Vintage SELLERS: Read This Now.

Reaction score
I made a boo boo with regards to this rule. would it be possible for someone please to check my thread and help me with pricing so I can correct it.

Reaction score
BenderRobot said:
I made a boo boo with regards to this rule. would it be possible for someone please to check my thread and help me with pricing so I can correct it.
That comment made my day!

Reaction score
Why some RS members dont have to list price in their FS threads, and when someone that is not so liked do it he get a PM from a mod. Do you mods go true all new threads and find out if there is price listed or you only do this when you feel like it or...where does the line go i mean when do one get banned from RS for not listing prices or how serious is this, I was told by a mod in my TRADE thread that i should list a price since i said (or i might sell if the right price) or something like this, very humble compared to some other threads i have seen that dont list any price at all and they are running for long time...guess some are able to do that. Yeh yeh i know not so important but why have a rule if nobody intend to follow it or nobody cares?

Reaction score
If you want to trade or sell, then listing a price is totaly uncalled for. Usually when you want to trade aswell you mostly prefer a trade. And if you don't have anything for sale that would get a deal going, then you can make an offer.

If you don't put a price in with a true "for trade or for sale" thread then that should be the hint that a trade is preferred.

Though, if you don't list any items you might trade for, then it's debateble if you realy want to trade at all or just don't want to put a price in the thread.

Both trade and selling forumparts were combined, lets not go back again.

-Alex

Reaction score
BUMPING ??

I'm thinking of posting some WTB's in the near future but before i do i have a Q.

How often should i bump my post.
Every day?
When it drops off the 1st page?
Every week?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Re: BUMPING ??

Anything more than once every 3 or 4 days is annoying, and will cost you customers.

Reaction score
I like quoting prices.

I like contacting somebody who gives me a price.
I usually make an offer if I'm buying multiple items.

I like ebay, if I want to give somebody my "best offer" I'll do so on Ebay where I can read feedback.

Reaction score
Is it time to split the Vintage Classified section? It's really hard wading through all of the WTB ads. A For Sale post could easily get lost in the shuffle. Is it possible to open up the discussion of having a Vintage For Sale section and a Vintage Want to Buy section? It may make life a bit easier and may possibly keep the bumping to a minimum... Comments?