ATTENTION VINTAGE SELLERS : READ THIS NOW: AUCTIONS ARE NOT PERMITTED!!!

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just so you all know the Forum Rules clearly state :

No auctioning is permitted. That means you cannot make a post stating that you will take offers and sell the item to the highest bidder.

Any classifieds that do not list prices for items will be shut down and removed.

I know this has not been enforced in here very well but it is going to be as of now.

I appreciate your cooperation on this matter.

Reaction score
Cuz nobody likes to play guessing games...and that's what eBay is for. Everybody has a price in mind what they want for an item, but to start (I hate to use this word) "scalping" is not what this site is about. You begin to start getting onto people's bad sides by playing this sort of game. State the price. If you don't get what you want...ebay is the place for you!
This site is to help fellow collectors out..not screw them. Hope this helps!

Shawn

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Shawn_Byrne said:
Cuz nobody likes to play guessing games...and that's what eBay is for. Everybody has a price in mind what they want for an item, but to start (I hate to use this word) "scalping" is not what this site is about. You begin to start getting onto people's bad sides by playing this sort of game. State the price. If you don't get what you want...ebay is the place for you!
This site is to help fellow collectors out..not screw them. Hope this helps!

Shawn
No this has nothing to do with scalping. Scalping has nothing to do with price only, but rather price and aquisition.

You can't scalp vintage product.

The rule is in place because this is not an online auction house. If you want to take high bids, listit on ebay.

Reaction score
Dustin,

ya, you're right on the "scalping" word. I couldn't think of a better word to use at the time. That's why I hated to use it, but the jist of the idea I hope came through!

Thanks
Shawn

Reaction score
Where do we list the auctions for our vintage stuff on Rebelscum? I have a bunch of stuff I want to auction off thru here.

JJ

PS - Just kidding Dustin.

Reaction score
Dustin,

Is Philip aware of this policy change? The last I heard, allowing exception from the "no auction" rule for vintage items had his blessing. Thanks,

Brian

Reaction score
Yes, and please let us know what to do if our thread(s) have been affected by this change. One of mine has been "moved" and now I can't even access it it?

Reaction score
Dustin, I think people should try to place a price they'd like to get when they list something here, but I do think this represents a change in policy. In my mind, there's a difference between taking offers and running a de facto auction. I'm almost certain there used to be a longer description for the vintage marketplace that specifically allowed the solicitation of offers for an item based on the difficulty of establishing a market price for some items.

I can't think of a time I've ever put something out for offers here, so this doesn't really affect me. If this reflects a change in policy it should be stated as such, though.

Todd

Reaction score
Dustin, how about the "or best offer" option? Is that available, or do we have to stick with hard dollar amounts? The straight auction, which I have seen in the past, should definitely be against the rules but I think listing a price and letting others offer more is a legit way to sell, or at least it should be in the vintage section.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Its_A_Trap said:
Yes, and please let us know what to do if our thread(s) have been affected by this change. One of mine has been "moved" and now I can't even access it it?
Start a new one.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
BrianM said:
Dustin,

Is Philip aware of this policy change? The last I heard, allowing exception from the "no auction" rule for vintage items had his blessing. Thanks,

Brian
From my understanding there has been no policy change. I was pointed to what I quoted above by Philip and I have emailed him about this issue, hopefully he will chime in!

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ok guys here is the final word from Philip -

"The forum can be used to say what price somebody wants for an item. That is all."

Reaction score
Dustin said:
Jawa100 said:
Does this rule apply to modern too?
yes.
no offense, but i think a warning post to the threads without prices before shutting down the thread would have been good since "taking best offers" threads were allowed in the past. just my humble opinion.

Reaction score
Well, I will say this *IS* a policy change. We went through this before a year or two ago. It was decided at that time that vintage should be different mostly because of the reason Todd stated: that some vintage items are very difficult to price, so taking best offers makes sense. It was also my recollection that the "no auctions" rule was to stop scalping, so another reason for the difference in vintage is that it can't be scalped, so why have the rule?

I just have no concept of any negative effects of allowing "best offer" posts. That was my frustration then and again now with this policy change. What does it hurt anyone if there are best offer posts?

Dustin I would really like to hear the RS owners answer to this question. You say "RS is not an auction site". Um... ok? Why not? Why can't it be? Is there a good reason that auctions couldn't be run in the forums just like the thousands of times that happened on Usenet in days past? It didn't hurt the community then, it won't now. Is there some kind of legal issue here that we don't know about? Or some other reason?

Cj

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I remember them going on all the time on Usenet. Would be the same thing here.

-Troy

Reaction score
So, no answers to the questions I asked? I thought they were reasonable questions that deserved some kind of response.

Cj

Philip_Wise

Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Selling items:

On Rebelscum: Pick a price and offer your item at that price.

On eBay: Auctioning.

I don't offer any basis for this rule other than that's the way I want it.

Reaction score
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
READ THIS NOW.

[/QUOTE]

Philip_Wise said:
Selling items:

On Rebelscum: Pick a price and offer your item at that price.

On eBay: Auctioning.

I don't offer any basis for this rule other than that's the way I want it.
Philip_Wise said:
"The forum can be used to say what price somebody wants for an item. That is all."
How's the view up there on those high horses? You sure are an arrogant pair of rude ********. I don't care whose site this is; there's no excuse for your smug bullsh¡t.

Reaction score
Krull said:
I don't care whose site this is; there's no excuse for your smug bullsh¡t.
Amen.

Curiously, why was the rule changed? We used to be able to do "make offer" sales in the vintage classifieds. Again, this was due to the rarity and obscurity of many pieces. Why was this changed?

John

Reaction score
About 12 months ago I distinctly remember reading the rules on selling in the vintage and there was definitely a comment in there to the tune of: that offers were allowed in the vintage section as many items were one of a kinds and a price could not sensibly fixed so offers were acceptable. To this end the rules have been changed – at what point I don’t know and more importantly why?

I have been relatively active on the classifieds and have been quite happy to make offers even on common production stuff. Never I have found a seller trying to play me off against another RS users offer or felt, in anyway that I have been part of an auction. My offers have been accepted or rejected.

Not allowing offers is nonsense, I would find it impossible to sensibly price most items that I would consider putting up for offer and would start a “how much is this worth as I don’t know much about it but am thinking of selling it
” pseudo classifieds thread in the main vintage section and wait for the PM offers to come in or put a massive starting price and wait (hope) that people made lower offers.

The point being that even if the site policy has changed offers for items will go on regardless or stuff will not be offered on RS first and go straight to ebay / other sites – which would be a shame.

Unless something has gone on that I'm not aware of (I'm sure a thread would have been started if somebody had been burnt or grossly profiteered from an offers/auction classifieds in the vinatge section) then I absolutely fail to understand the reason for this change in policy.

Reaction score
To be honest how could anyone (other than the seller) know if they are competing against someone auction style; I don't think you could (not all of the time anyway.)

Seecondly everyone has a price on an item. If I offer $x for an item and it is refused there is a reason; it is valued by the seller at more therefore they have a price in mind.

If a seller is unsure about their item then use ebay to sell it. Alternatively price it high here and no response probably means too high a price or lack of interest. If you sell at the high asking price then congratulations!

Make me an offer is essentially equivalent to eBay. Long may naming a price remain.

Reaction score
Hi there,

IMO auctioning is not the same as "taking offers"

An auction is limited to a time and at the end the higherst bidder wins,

Taking offers is more like negotiating...the seller has a price in mind and would like an offer close to his limit (or even a partial trade...)

Cheers,

Martijn

Reaction score
Ah... just skirt the rules. List your price at $1,000,000 and say resonable offers considered. It's all about playing the game.

Reaction score
I like what Cable said. I don't like what Philip said.

How do you put a price on a FS Vader item?

From now on, $1 mil OBO.

Phil

Reaction score
philraymond said:
How do you put a price on a FS Vader item?
You don't; you donate it to my collection...

Maybe what you paid plus a bit more for inflation?

Reaction score
I'm not selling a FS Vader (although I am taking donations); it was just an example of an extremely rare item that is very difficult to put a price on.

A lot of RS'ers, including myself, don't like to use ebay for these kind of items. I would want a fellow collector to acquire it - not an ebay scalper. RS is also a better way to reach to vintage community.

But I do understand the explanation of RS; it makes perfect sense - they won't give one.

Phil

Reaction score
philraymond said:
But I do understand the explanation of RS; it makes perfect sense - they won't give one.

Phil
To be fair Phil, Dustin has given a reason in post four of this thread.

Reaction score
I see why they inforce this rule. It's their site, and they make the rules.

But eventhough it's not a 'true' rule change, it IS a policy change. And I don't see the reason why that had to happen. Condoning it was great, no problems, no one realy complaint (sometimes a newbe did).

It's a shame, and perhaps items will go unseen in the classifieds and just sold through contacts. There goes one of the great features of the vintage classifieds!!!

I understand it are their rules, but why temper with it if it works. Oke, not everyone needs to make their own rules, but come on, it's not like we try to change all forum rules.

But I have to agree with some posters that the responds of the rule-makers is not very friendly and lacks a bit info.

Making an offer is not the same as bidding against each other (allthough I have made that mistake once). So in no way eBay can be a comparison.

-Alex

Reaction score
I was referring to the top of this page, "I don't offer any basis for this rule other than that's the way I want it."

Oh well. It doesn't do any good to argue and there's nothing we can do about it.

Phil

Reaction score
I like Bill's idea. From now on, all my RS listings are for $1 million. Everyone will know that it's not really 1 million and email with offers. Yet, no rules are being broken.

The point being... a community will find a way around any rules they feel are stupid. It could be as silly as this $1m idea, or as extreme as leaving the venue for another place to congregate.

The only point of changing this rule that makes any kind of sense is if there's some legal ramifications that are avoided by stating the rules as such. If not, I would suggest to the owners to change the rule back - because ultimately you're not going to stop the community from doing what it wants to do - they'll find a way one way or another.

CJ

Reaction score
Quite an underwhelming amount of a replies on the subject by the big boys, as I'd expected. I'm not sure why they feel the need to dodge the issue and answer some relatively simple questions.

John

Reaction score
The subject is probably under review John

It's either that, or they're thinking that their posts above are simple enough?

Put a price on your items

Reaction score
@ The administrators:

Taking Shanes advice from this tread I'd like to complain about a loophole in the policy of "always putting a price with your items".

There is a loophole to put an amount in the thread for $10.000 for a $5 item. Just by putting the statement 'Or best offer', the seller is covered. (1) He has stated a price, and (2) he can take offers.

This is unfair to the sellers who try to put a well thought price (aka market-price) with their items. As far as is clear to me, that's the point of the 'price-with-your-item'-policy. Prices for a $5 item, should be $5 and not $10.000 or best offer.

Can this be cleared up, is any price oke (also crazy made-up prices like mentioned above) or just market/personal prices (like $5 for a $5 item, or $6,50 for a $5 item)!?

-Alex

[PS. I'm not attacking anyone who used this 'trick', but I just think the policy has to be cleared up a bit, and I'm not the only one, see link to thread]

Reaction score
Personally, I think the whole "you have to put a price on it" is what is wrong, not the loophole. I can understand for the modern toys, you would want to have someone put a price on it because most of the stuff isn't that hard to find, and you can get an idea how much it is worth on eBay. But, some of the vintage items are just impossible to find and who can put a price on some of it since they may be one-of-a-kind pieces? Vintage hard copies? Vintage uncut proof sheets? I think asking us to put hard prices on anything unique is kind of silly.

Reaction score
Happy Birthday Sotoam, hopefully you are not turning 30 like me.

I personally think the name your price is not fair. For common production items it is OK, but for extremely rare items, bootlegs, and other uncommon items the rule stinks. I find the lack or responses to this rule the disturbing part and until the rule is discussed like adults all sales should be for $1000 or more.