Attark the Hoover - new sculpt

Reaction score
This is my third incarnation of this character/creature. I thought about going for articulation but decided to just sculpt a solid piece (maybe next time. :hmm:) He is sculpted out of "green stuff" putty. An interesting rumor I encountered while researching this character is that Attark IS in Return of the Jedi, or at least his snout is. It is the "tentacle arm" that grabs C-3PO in Jabba's dungeon. :eek: While I have not been able to verify this it does seem really plausible and would explain why no one on the throne room set remembers seeing this creature.

Reaction score
Looks great, I love the amount of detail you've put into something so small.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Most impressive! I'd have been happy with your earlier incarnations.

I really don't think he grabs 3-P0 for 3 reasons.
The tentacle is longer and fatter.
It has spikes.
Hoover never made it out of the shop.

Reaction score
Awesome job JPS! Your customs are always impressive and super detailed. Do you like using green stuff? I want to start sculpting for my customs and am curious what to use.

Most impressive! I'd have been happy with your earlier incarnations.

I really don't think he grabs 3-P0 for 3 reasons.
The tentacle is longer and fatter.
It has spikes.
Hoover never made it out of the shop.

I think one other thing that really makes it seem unlikely is that the tentacle is at 3PO's height which would mean the creature is at least 5-5.5 feet tall.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Awesome job JPS! Your customs are always impressive and super detailed. Do you like using green stuff? I want to start sculpting for my customs and am curious what to use.

I think one other thing that really makes it seem unlikely is that the tentacle is at 3PO's height which would mean the creature is at least 5-5.5 feet tall.
nless he is sitting on the window ledge.
U
I wonder if the got the tentacle idea from an early Jabba Concept?

Reaction score
I like sculpting with green stuff. It holds detail really well, doesn't shrink, and has the same consistency after it hardens as some of the plastic used in the figures. The only drawback is it's very sticky when you work with it and you have to constantly be wetting either your tools or the putty itself. I usually put a small amount of nonstick cooking spray on my work surface and just wet my tools with my mouth. :p. Gross but it's the easiest way. :grin: It also takes several hours for it to start hardening so you have plenty of time to work with it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I've gone ahead and ordered some tools and some green stuff! I am excited to start actually doig more than kitbashing and repaints for customizing. You, Stan, tyrannus and few others on here do amazing work and I can only hope I ever become as good as you guys are.

I've got about 50 figures I still want done or redone, and I just don't see Hasbro making all of them anymore sadly. Gone are the days of getting 15-25 OT figs a year. Anyways, it should be a lot of fun.

Unless he is sitting on the window ledge.
I wonder if the got the tentacle idea from an early Jabba Concept?
That is an interesting concept which I don't remember ever seeing before, either. It does look like it could very well have been the inspiration for that dungeon alien. Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Thanks! There are dozens of concept aliens just for Jabba's palace. I want to do them all.

I have a small pizza dipping sauce container with water so I don't have to lick my tools (as much!). I'd also try using Milliput. There are subtle differences between it and Greenstuff. There are things to add to make it flexible but I haven't tried it. There are different colors so I will use one product over the other depending on the color it will wind up.

Oyumaru is a reusable clay for making molds. It is great for accessories. It comes in different colors which is helpful to distinguish molds from each other and different halves. I like transparent the most though.

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread Palacespy. One more question though for you and Utinni - when using green stuff or milliput or any sculpting material, does it stick or adhere to the figure or whatever it is you are sculpting on's surface naturally? Or does it require something extra to bond to the plastic? I am a total rookie/newb, so this question may seem kind of silly I suppose lol

And thanks to both of you for the advice!

Utinniii

Reaction score
First, you should read through here. It will have a lot of useful information and the regulars check there often. If you post your WIPs people can see what you are doing and give better advice. It is a great community here.

It really depends on what you are trying to adhere it to. Sometimes it is easier to spread a thin coat to cover it and after it dries, you can build on it. If the surface is coarse, it will stick better. Practice will be the best experience though. Just remember to have a water source nearby and some rags for cleaning your tools. You want to clean them while they are still soft.

I recommend keeping a journal of what works and what doesn't. I was surprised when I came back a day later and it was still soft in the mold I was using.