Attack of the Clones is a great Star Wars movie!

Reaction score
I agree that Attack of the Clones rules. Probably my favorite prequel. There’s a lot to analyze that’s bubbling under the surface. I think the biggest mistake people make is to take the prequels at face value and not as George Lucas deconstructing his own mythology (No, Rian Johnson wasn’t the first to do this). He tells a story about the rise of fascism through having heroes with good intentions, but ineptitude and corruption as well. People seem to forget the whole of Lucas’s filmography because it’s vastly overshadowed by the most popular mainstream blockbuster of all time. They forget that the guy comes out of experimental film. His film school work is all anti-authoritarian, artsy stuff that do all kind of unconventional things with sound. Keep in mind the first guy this guy approached to direct Return of the Jedi was David Lynch, at that point with only Eraserhead and Elephant Man under his belt. Also he was really into Soviet film that were doing all kinds of exciting things with film technique. I just think it’s a mistake to assume everything is what it seems in the prequels. They’re films ripe for all kinds of deep reading.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree that Attack of the Clones rules. Probably my favorite prequel. There’s a lot to analyze that’s bubbling under the surface. I think the biggest mistake people make is to take the prequels at face value and not as George Lucas deconstructing his own mythology (No, Rian Johnson wasn’t the first to do this). He tells a story about the rise of fascism through having heroes with good intentions, but ineptitude and corruption as well. People seem to forget the whole of Lucas’s filmography because it’s vastly overshadowed by the most popular mainstream blockbuster of all time. They forget that the guy comes out of experimental film. His film school work is all anti-authoritarian, artsy stuff that do all kind of unconventional things with sound. Keep in mind the first guy this guy approached to direct Return of the Jedi was David Lynch, at that point with only Eraserhead and Elephant Man under his belt. Also he was really into Soviet film that were doing all kinds of exciting things with film technique. I just think it’s a mistake to assume everything is what it seems in the prequels. They’re films ripe for all kinds of deep reading.

https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1135886&page=7&p=20036473&viewfull=1#post20036473
enjoy!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Now see I remember when I first saw Attack of the Clones, every gut reaction was "Oh that was much better!" but then...on the drive home...the brewing started. Was it? I personally came to the conclusion that it was actually worse. For me, it's just not a fun movie. I can sincerely say I dislike most the new designs for things, they look to retro 1950's science-fiction. The love story is...well...where do I begin? In retrospect, the Coruscant chase is visually stunning but as an action piece it's so forgettable to me. It seems to everyone, because I never see it discussed or in merchandising anymore. Jango and Dooku are the best parts, by far, but even then...issues. Just the film is plagued by so many issues IMO. I could go on and on...

Reaction score
AOTC is still one of those films that I just can't watch over-and-over again. I think I feel about it, the way some do about TLJ, that it's kind of messy in places, and how there's some bits of storytelling that don't quite work (with TLJ, it's the Rose/Finn plot, and with AOTC, it's Lucas' love-story with Padme/Anakin).

Though the key to Episode II, is in showing how Palpatine manipulated those around him to starting a war, and gaining an army that would respond to his commands. It's notable how Williams' use of the Imperial March at the end is meant to seem almost "patriotic," but we know better, that this is false-patriotism, and is heading towards the turning of the Republic to the Empire.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Find myself rewatching Attack of the Clones more than just about any other movie.. period. This was not always the case, because I did not have positive words about it on first viewing.. I even fell asleep, but that’s on me.

I didn’t however resist the relentless multimedia campaign to follow, or the 3rd movie, which was quite thrilling overall.
So between some smash hit Battlefront Games, Republic Commando and some Karen Traviss bestsellers, I was having a new appreciation for the events in the film. Of course then The Clone Wars and The Force Unleashed game hit in 2008 and Attack of the Clones was ground zero for the animated The Clone Wars, while TFU introduces us to all sorts of possibility and playable skins like the Imperial Commando.

Then as I realised I must be reunited with this wonderfully “fruitful” and misunderstood film.

Reaction score
I watched the Hal9000 fan edit recently. I got to say it was much more palatable. I lot of the cringy and hokey scenes were cut out. The droid factory scene was heavily edited/shortened. He also changed up the entire Naboo scenes with Anakin and Padme.

Reaction score
I watched the Hal9000 fan edit recently. I got to say it was much more palatable. I lot of the cringy and hokey scenes were cut out. The droid factory scene was heavily edited/shortened. He also changed up the entire Naboo scenes with Anakin and Padme.
A deftly edited take for sure. Surprising what can be done. I have even seen a decent edit on the fireplace scene with some basic editing tricks, like cutting dialogue for longer pauses and holding a gaze instead of cutting back to Anakin giving his Shakespearean monologue. -_-

Reaction score
I remember enjoying AOTC as a kid and holding it in high regard, however over the past 15 years I have seen countless video essays dissecting the film saying how awful and terrible it is.

All that negativity put me off re-watching it as I truly started to believed the film was a visual mess and the plot solely centred around long drawn out unbearable scenes with Anakin & Padmé.

So I re-watched it today - I think the first time in full in over 10 years, maybe?

Turns out, the Anakin/Padme stuff was bearable and I never once felt like it was dragged out. I think AOTC does pacing extremely well. I felt like it had the three distinct story lines for me to follow - Detective Kenobi and his adventures, Padmé & Anakin and The Jedi / Senate business on Coruscant. They then converged on the Battle of Geonosis to what I felt was a very exciting end.

Absolutely loved the Kenobi bits, and the Jedi starting to lose their grip and begin their downfall played out really well.

Visuals I still feel are terrible however, I hate how everything feels bland / washed out and the characters have a weird out of scene lighting about them. I largely forgot about it though as I got sucked into it.

Anakin is still VERY creepy on Naboo, but it made me laugh more than anything.

Reaction score
AotC has its problems, but Jango and Obi-Wan's duel on Kamino is one of my all-time favourite Star Wars scenes.

Reaction score
I was thinking back to a scene last night - in the droid factory when R2D2 and C3P0 show up - it feels like they had barely spent any time together since being re-united and C3P0 was being his usual normal annoying self - then R2D2 just straight up pushes him off a giant drop with no way of knowing if he would survive it.

.. did R2D2 literally just try and murder him?! "**** off C3P0, I'm sick of you already."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm gonna stick with that from now on throughout the rest of the franchise, R2D2 trying to murder C3P0 at every chance he can get.

Reaction score
I haven’t considered it a favourite, but I find myself watching it more than any of the others. There’s just so much to take in. Visuals and sound design are really fantastic. The few wooden dialogue deliveries have faded with time and I can even forgive Threepio getting his head swapped, among other things. I guess it is one of the better films now by far.

1589349128804.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
I too was a kid when this came out, for me, this film (and Sith) is the closest I'll ever feel to the way most people feel about the OT. As another poster said, it's in my blood, it had to be among the first few films I saw with my Dad, my first Star Wars film at the cinema (I was certainly old enough for TPM.., but never saw it till it came out on VHS). The Saga line was my kenner, going to TRU and getting Jango and Obi after the film.., wishing someday I'd have enough cash for Obi's starfighter! Cutting up a dressing gown and going as Obi to my school's world book day ("I'm sure there's a novelization.., it counts!") and getting my lightsaber confiscated, and of course, the Genndy animated series which meant I revisited this every five minutes on VHS till I broke the tape.

Obviously the film isn't without it's faults, I'm certainly aware of that. But as a kid you zone out of the creepy Anakin cringefest, and as an adult - can overlook/excuse/on some level, part rationalize part laugh my rear off at it all ala Spaceballs, I've been rewatching them in lockdown simultaneously with my father and the whole "I hate sand" has re-become a meme between us from everything to stop a conversation to describe gravy granules (I'm a chef).

I prefer Sith, it's the superior film no doubt, and I enjoy it more, but, this film (almost) beginning to end is just "fun", not deep, or sophisticated, and I unashamedly love it for it (and the many reasons outlined by everyone else!). The speeder chase at the beginning, Obi Wan vs Jango, the arena battle, Padme's nonchalance at mass murder (it's like one of those ridiculous programs on CBS Crime), more seriously, seeing the Jedi in their prime, Ewan in any scene and of course, Christopher Lee, now one of my favorite actors. For me personally, while not my all time favorite Star Wars, or any film, much like Solo quite possibly my most "rewatchable" of them all.

Reaction score
I haven’t considered it a favourite, but I find myself watching it more than any of the others. There’s just so much to take in. Visuals and sound design are really fantastic. The few wooden dialogue deliveries have faded with time and I can even forgive Threepio getting his head swapped, among other things. I guess it is one of the better films now by far.

View attachment 352415
The movie has cool action/battle scenes for sure. It's just all the rest of the stuff in between that was hard to watch.

Reaction score
For me AOTC was when I finally got to see JedI do something other than sit around and wait. Aside from some of their battles/interactions it was rather bland. I also enjoyed Clone Battles and Republic vehicles.

Reaction score
I really enjoy AOTC. Kamino, Tatooine and the Geonosis sequences are great. Coruscant is okay, the Naboo scenes are just not interesting enough.

I enjoy the PT more than the OT.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Attack of the Clones was the first Star Wars film I saw in a theater. I was young enough when Phantom Menace came out that I think my parents just figured as much as I liked Star Wars, we could just wait for the VHS and I probably wouldn't even notice, and they were right. But I remember the entire day of me seeing Attack of the Clones pretty vividly. My parents were under a lot of stress cause we were living in a really sketchy rental house in a sketchy part of town cause at the last minute the sellers of the house we were getting ready to move into were having second thoughts, of course after we moved out of our old home. So that really screwed us over, and I'm sure having a newborn baby during this whole fiasco didn't ease the stress of my parents any. Of course I was totally oblivious to all this cause I was 6. That's besides the point the though, the gist is taking their Star Wars-obsessed son to the movies was the least of my parents' concerns in May 2002. I finished up a Tee Ball game and my grandma was there and I guess she just decided spur of the moment to do my parents a solid and take me to go see it cause she knew how bad I wanted to go. Bless her heart cause I'm sure she had no idea what the hell was going on. Probably was totally incomprehensible to her, I don't think I ever saw her watch anything that wasn't on PBS. I remember her whispering to me asking "is this the part where he becomes Darth Vader?" when Anakin kills all the sand people. Had to explain to her that it wasn't going to happen til the next one. Think we went to Dairy Queen after that. Probably was the best day of the entire summer for 6 year old me.