Attack of the Clones is a great Star Wars movie!

Reaction score
I agree that Attack of the Clones rules. Probably my favorite prequel. There’s a lot to analyze that’s bubbling under the surface. I think the biggest mistake people make is to take the prequels at face value and not as George Lucas deconstructing his own mythology (No, Rian Johnson wasn’t the first to do this). He tells a story about the rise of fascism through having heroes with good intentions, but ineptitude and corruption as well. People seem to forget the whole of Lucas’s filmography because it’s vastly overshadowed by the most popular mainstream blockbuster of all time. They forget that the guy comes out of experimental film. His film school work is all anti-authoritarian, artsy stuff that do all kind of unconventional things with sound. Keep in mind the first guy this guy approached to direct Return of the Jedi was David Lynch, at that point with only Eraserhead and Elephant Man under his belt. Also he was really into Soviet film that were doing all kinds of exciting things with film technique. I just think it’s a mistake to assume everything is what it seems in the prequels. They’re films ripe for all kinds of deep reading.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree that Attack of the Clones rules. Probably my favorite prequel. There’s a lot to analyze that’s bubbling under the surface. I think the biggest mistake people make is to take the prequels at face value and not as George Lucas deconstructing his own mythology (No, Rian Johnson wasn’t the first to do this). He tells a story about the rise of fascism through having heroes with good intentions, but ineptitude and corruption as well. People seem to forget the whole of Lucas’s filmography because it’s vastly overshadowed by the most popular mainstream blockbuster of all time. They forget that the guy comes out of experimental film. His film school work is all anti-authoritarian, artsy stuff that do all kind of unconventional things with sound. Keep in mind the first guy this guy approached to direct Return of the Jedi was David Lynch, at that point with only Eraserhead and Elephant Man under his belt. Also he was really into Soviet film that were doing all kinds of exciting things with film technique. I just think it’s a mistake to assume everything is what it seems in the prequels. They’re films ripe for all kinds of deep reading.

https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1135886&page=7&p=20036473&viewfull=1#post20036473
enjoy!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Now see I remember when I first saw Attack of the Clones, every gut reaction was "Oh that was much better!" but then...on the drive home...the brewing started. Was it? I personally came to the conclusion that it was actually worse. For me, it's just not a fun movie. I can sincerely say I dislike most the new designs for things, they look to retro 1950's science-fiction. The love story is...well...where do I begin? In retrospect, the Coruscant chase is visually stunning but as an action piece it's so forgettable to me. It seems to everyone, because I never see it discussed or in merchandising anymore. Jango and Dooku are the best parts, by far, but even then...issues. Just the film is plagued by so many issues IMO. I could go on and on...

Reaction score
AOTC is still one of those films that I just can't watch over-and-over again. I think I feel about it, the way some do about TLJ, that it's kind of messy in places, and how there's some bits of storytelling that don't quite work (with TLJ, it's the Rose/Finn plot, and with AOTC, it's Lucas' love-story with Padme/Anakin).

Though the key to Episode II, is in showing how Palpatine manipulated those around him to starting a war, and gaining an army that would respond to his commands. It's notable how Williams' use of the Imperial March at the end is meant to seem almost "patriotic," but we know better, that this is false-patriotism, and is heading towards the turning of the Republic to the Empire.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Find myself rewatching Attack of the Clones more than just about any other movie.. period. This was not always the case, because I did not have positive words about it on first viewing.. I even fell asleep, but that’s on me.

I didn’t however resist the relentless multimedia campaign to follow, or the 3rd movie, which was quite thrilling overall.
So between some smash hit Battlefront Games, Republic Commando and some Karen Traviss bestsellers, I was having a new appreciation for the events in the film. Of course then The Clone Wars and The Force Unleashed game hit in 2008 and Attack of the Clones was ground zero for the animated The Clone Wars, while TFU introduces us to all sorts of possibility and playable skins like the Imperial Commando.

Then as I realised I must be reunited with this wonderfully “fruitful” and misunderstood film.

Reaction score
I watched the Hal9000 fan edit recently. I got to say it was much more palatable. I lot of the cringy and hokey scenes were cut out. The droid factory scene was heavily edited/shortened. He also changed up the entire Naboo scenes with Anakin and Padme.

Reaction score
I watched the Hal9000 fan edit recently. I got to say it was much more palatable. I lot of the cringy and hokey scenes were cut out. The droid factory scene was heavily edited/shortened. He also changed up the entire Naboo scenes with Anakin and Padme.
A deftly edited take for sure. Surprising what can be done. I have even seen a decent edit on the fireplace scene with some basic editing tricks, like cutting dialogue for longer pauses and holding a gaze instead of cutting back to Anakin giving his Shakespearean monologue. -_-